• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2008
    The Bourne Supremacy

Sweeeeet. Watch these films in reverse order and pretend you've never seen them before. It works incredibly well. I watched Ultimatum the other week, and it's great getting it all backwards.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I take it you knew what I was referring to?

No?

Oh! Then the comment must have seemed quite odd indeed! biggrin (It was mentioned in the program.)

Considering I was on this board at the time I wasn't paying total attention but I remember what you are talkiing about from my original viewing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008
    Proms Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

I started watching when they began to play Tchaikovsky's MASTERFUL, AWESOME, MASTERPIECE of a symphony, Symphony No. 5.

People who neglect 'classical' music sure are missing out on something truly spectacular. My god, goosebump city. shocked
  1. Saw 'Immortal Beloved' (about the life, loves and death of Beethoven) again this weekend with my father, who's a classical fan since he was a young dude. I like the movie as well but mostly for the stellar performances, and interesting plot, but I don't know what is truly true and what has been exaggerated a little for the sake of drama, but it's still a good film, to see the troubled character of Beethoven who was just a very passionate man, but equally a brutal inconsiderate jerk. Gary Oldman gives a fantastic performance as the composer... I've always liked him in these sort of roles, like in Bram Stoker's Dracula. The rest of the cast is equally impressive. The story is kept interesting throughout as the audience follows Beethoven's secretary in his search for the secret love of the composer, so she can claim all his wealth. And the music, while it's not my cup of tea is for the most part beautiful and well selected to add dramatic effect to the scenes.

7/10.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008
    Steven wrote

I started watching when they began to play Tchaikovsky's MASTERFUL, AWESOME, MASTERPIECE of a symphony, Symphony No. 5.

People who neglect 'classical' music sure are missing out on something truly spectacular. My god, goosebump city. shocked

Is there much point in agreeing with you when you know I agree with you!?

Ah well, nothing wrong with secondary back up smile I was going to play this symphony but I can't damn well find it? rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I'm Alan Partridge: Series 1

Tim's belated recognition of my avatar prompted me to revisit one of the finest British sitcoms of the last 20 years. Ruddy bloody brilliant. A-HA!

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    I'm Alan Partridge: Series 1

Tim's belated recognition of my avatar prompted me to revisit one of the finest British sitcoms of the last 20 years. Ruddy bloody brilliant. A-HA!

punk

Amongst many gems that series has my all time favourite episode 'To Kill A Mocking Alan', where he grossly insults the Irish ( potatoe famine : "well, if you can afford to emigrate you can afford to eat in a reasonably priced restaurant" ) and meets his creepy "No.1 fan".

Complete and utter brilliance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Ah well, nothing wrong with secondary back up smile I was going to play this symphony but I can't damn well find it? rolleyes

Did you find it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008 edited
    Finally then: The Dark Knight

This must be one of the grimmest films I've seen in ages.
    There's an overbearing sense of despair and helplessness pervading the film: what is anyone, even The Bat, going to do when none of the rules apply any more?
    And how did this happen?

I'm thoroughly impressed by how Nolan and the script writers have managed to combine two of the best and most involving aspects of the Batman mythos:
    (1) the vision of writer/artist team Loeb/Sale that emphasized the Batman's Film Noire aspects
    (2) Frank Miller's psychological/sociological take which questions the Batman's own role in the ascension of social chaos, considering that the Batman and The Joker aren't opposites: they are symbionts of sorts. There cannot be one without the other. An extreme action will have an extreme reaction.

These two elements make this the most dramatically interesting and intellectually and morally challenging of all the Batman films so far, and I found myself quite drained after the show.

First of all: this Joker is NOT funny. Oh sure, there was some chuckling in the cinema at his one-liners, but they were...uncomfortable. As if people weren't entirely sure whether it was supposed to be funny. Let me put that to rest: it wasn't.
    Nolan's Joker is almost alien: he does not conform to the same rules, he cannot be reasoned with, he cannot be reached, he can't even be hurt. It's like all the tools we have for interaction -including intimidation and physical abuse- have been rendered absolutely useless.

Hence the Batman's (and Gotham City's Finest') dilemma.

And the viewers' increasing unease.
    The Joker is not an agent of evil. He is an agent of chaos.
    He will deconstruct and corrupt for deconstruction's sake.
    He cannot be stopped by any conventional means.

Any interaction with him results in loss of innocent lives. By design. The public in the film is forced between choosing the preceived lesser of two evils every single time ("kill a person, or a hospital gets bombed" ) and we, the audience, feel our own moral boundaries slipping away. As every choice starts to become immoral, we feel increasingly content with the idea of bending the rules of society just a bit to just STOP the madness.
    Bend them a little bit.
    Juuuuuuuust a little bit.

It's all SO understandable...and then of course the Joker wins.

This makes the end absolutely heartbreaking. And a huge eye-opener and stuff for long, long evenings of discussion:
    The fabric of society is not equipped to deal with chaos.
    To stop this chaos, you sometimes have to step outside of society.
    And once you do, you can never come back.
    Worse: while being its very counterpart, you still have become part of the chaos, and will be reviled and presecuted for it. That's the price to pay to keep the darkness at bay.

Thus the tragedy of The Batman.
    What he does is unacceptable. What he does is incondonable.
    What he does is unavoidable.

This is an VERY good film, very powerful and extraordinarily clever. It works both as a 'mere' action flick (and a very good one) if you would choose to watch it like that, and it also works as a proper moral (intellectual) challenge.

The acting is uniformly excellent.
    Standouts are Joker Ledger, who gives a one-dimensional, inscrutable character some true meat on the bone, Batman Bale, who makes the self-doubt and despair shine through by sheer body language and Oldman as the reluctant Chief Gordon.
    Caine and Freeman are good in their bit parts, though not exceptional.

5 out of 5.

I honestly went in with an open mind, but the music was beyond annoying.
    Imagine two and a half hours of FAR too loudly mixed non-stop Immediate Music trailer music and you get the idea. Though made from sheets of metal, still undeniably still musical wallpaper. Childish nonsense.
    BAH! This film deserved a LOT better.

1.5 out of 5.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Careful Martijn, that sounds like an opinion to me!? shocked

(Fine review.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Did you find it?

Just in case you didn't, Symphony No. 5.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I agree with everything you say Martijn (but I could bare the music!). I love the entire "You can't kill me" speech by the Joker at the end. I can't remember why, but at the time it all made perfect sense. dizzy

AMAZING FILM.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Any spoilers in your review Martijn? I'm just being careful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Any spoilers in your review Martijn?

Nope.
    Which was hard. smile

(It does assume a certain familiarity with the history of the Dark Knight, otherwise some spoilers may be infered.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Any spoilers in your review Martijn?

Nope.
    Which was hard. smile

(It does assume a certain familiarity with the history of the Dark Knight, otherwise some spoilers may be infered.)

Thanks pal! Now I'll read it. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Did you find it?

Just in case you didn't, Symphony No. 5.

Thanks Steven beer

I still haven't found it, maybe I accidently put it in storage though that seems unlikely?

I. WILL. FIND. IT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2008
    Flyboys

An enjoyable if not slightly cheesy action flick from director John Mills. The combat scenes are riveting and explosive enough to keep you distracted from all the expected clichés and hammy acting but the somewhat insipid romantic sub-plot does sadly push the running time past the two hour mark. Really only worth watching for the exciting visuals, state-of-the-art CGI lends a thrilling zip to the aerial sequences and shines realistically through every sepia-tinted frame.

3/5
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008
    The Fountain

I rewatched it. One of my all time favourite movies. (even with his faults).

Are there some discussions about the interpretation of the movie here?
  2. I don't think there's enough symbolism in the film. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's always about the faults with Jordi isn't it? Christ. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    actually it was one of the biggest mudderfriggin spiders i have ever seen cool

Wonderful!
    I just saved myself some tme by NOT having to watch this! cool

It was FULL of scary looking bugs and you reckon jungles are great? confused

Jungles are bloody fantastic!
    Thing is that in nature show they take the effort to seek these creeps out.
    In real life, they run as soon as anyone comes stomping in from 100 meters distance.

Many of the ones in the show (including the largest spider of all time!) wandered into their camp at night to pay them a visit, crawled into their sleeping bags etc.

How big was this spider? Is there a clip or picture from this documentary?

I've seen some spiders recently (and I had one in my hands! cheesy That was a smaller one by the way) and one of the species could have a span of 9.5 inches. It was huge! We got a good picture of him (not for Martijn, you are warned) :

Tarantula

[EDIT] Hm, funny, I'm now at Shelob's Lair, listening to the trilogy today! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    The Fountain

Completely agree, i rarely feel as such when i watch in movie, like i did with Fountain. Top stuff.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote

I've seen some spiders recently (and I had one in my hands! cheesy That was a smaller one by the way) and one of the species could have a span of 9.5 inches. It was huge! We got a good picture of him (not for Martijn, you are warned) :

Tarantula

shocked
    I CLICKED.
    shocked
    I am scarred for LIFE!
    cry

Where's the port?
    At least after enough intake I know any crawlies I detect from the corner off my eye are simply delirium tremens induced.
    cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    The Fountain

Completely agree, i rarely feel as such when i watch in movie, like i did with Fountain. Top stuff.

I think the discussion went under with Scorereviews, did it not?
    Not going to revisit that topic again. I've blasted that ridiculous piece of pretentious tripe enough, and I can't be arsed to do so again. Bad for my blood pressure.

EDIT: oh looky looky: it didn't go down with SR!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bregje wrote
    one of the species could have a span of 9.5 inches. It was huge! We got a good picture of him (not for Martijn, you are warned) :

Tarantula

NOT looking. moon
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Bregje wrote
    one of the species could have a span of 9.5 inches. It was huge! We got a good picture of him (not for Martijn, you are warned) :

Tarantula

NOT looking. moon

Ah g'wan g'wan g'wan...y'will y'will y'will ..........
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Spiders are awesome. Miracle of evolution! They're so cute with their little pincers, beady black eyes and hairy little legs. You know you want one as a pet, Martijn.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Spiders are awesome. Miracle of evolution! They're so cute with their little pincers, beady black eyes and hairy little legs. You know you want one as a pet, Martijn.

he does he does he does cool beer
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote

I say kill the f***ers!

Or at least move them outside. wink

Martijn, have you ever played Half Life 2 with the toxic headcrabs and all? *shudder*
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    KILL.SPIDERS.NOW.ALL.OF.THEM!

Steven, are you serious or...nuts?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.