• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2008
    Martijn wrote

La Vie En Rose

Minuses: Sorry. It's unengrossing. In fact I'd go as far as to say that it's rather boring.

Right; i was sure, that's why i systematically avoid watching it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2008
    Just saw THE FOUNTAIN last night on DVD. Man, that's a "trip" of a film! Lots of food for thought in both complex narratives, audiovisual symbolism and poetic dialogue. References to all kinds of religious and cultural myths. I loved the visual reference to Doré's "Divine Comedy" engraving in the "heavenly tunnel" shot (although it may have been just accidental). I'm not really a big fan of music that is or veers to minimalism, but there was something appealing with Mansell's score nonetheless. It's a very calm affair, which I like these days, so I guess I would have liked this if I ever got it on CD.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap; adored it as well and i can REALLY NOT understand the people who carry negative views on it; how's that frigging impossible?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2008 edited
    I guess you really need to be open minded to it to fully enjoy it... if not, it can get pretty pretentious really quick. I heard a reaction of someone leaving the theatre saying "the moment I saw the tree flying, I was out of it" (I loved it, by the way; it's such a symbolic and emotional experience).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    "the moment I saw the tree flying, I was out of it".

Oh; i got it; he must be one of those guys that get an erection by watching Rambo blowing things up slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Probably rolleyes It all has to be obvious nowadays... if someone dares to stray from the regular path of moviemaking, its quickly deemed 'incomprehensible' and 'artsy fartsy'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2008
    I can't find enough negative things to say about the utter pretentious bollocks that is The Fountain.
    Try and break it down and it makes no sense on any level. I noticed that even people who liked it seem unable to actually give a plot summary...which is quite right as the "plot"(for want of a better term) has holes big enough to fly a starship through. But then of course the defense then is that it's "an experience".
    Well OK. That's an opinion.
    Mine is that it's lazy and boring film making, without the beginning of an inkling of the possiblity of any orginal or indeed coherent thought behind it. A bunch of seemingly related "heavy" imagery, with a lot of cliched (semi-)religious symbolism mixed in stopped being hip after 1973.

The film is a con job.
    And a very poorly executed one.

At least the -equally execreable- Blueberry had the guts to admit it was just trying to portray a peyote trip.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    I can't find enough negative things to say about the utter pretentious bollocks that is The Fountain.
    Try and break it down and it makes no sense on any level. I noticed that even people who liked it seem unable to actually give a plot summary...which is quite right as the "plot"(for want of a better term) has holes big enough to fly a starship through. But then of course the defense then is that it's "an experience".
    Well OK. That's an opinion.
    Mine is that it's lazy and boring film making, without the beginning of an inkling of the possiblity of any orginal or indeed coherent thought behind it. A bunch of seemingly related "heavy" imagery, with a lot of cliched (semi-)religious symbolism mixed in stopped being hip after 1973.

The film is a con job.
    And a very poorly executed one.

At least the -equally execreable- Blueberry had the guts to admit it was just trying to portray a peyote trip.

Nah, can't agree with that. Yes, there are a couple of unresolved plot lines (I was unsure about the consequence of his decision to "change events" and follow her loved one on her walk in the snow, for example). But for the most part, I find that many themes and links were introduced that at first seemed incoherent, but that somehow open themselves to further exploration and justification if you start to think about it. There are simply so many roads to take here, "pushing" the viewer to choose links - either plot-wise or symbol-wise, that it's a fountain of possibilities, so to speak. All deliberate, never random.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Time for another report...

That repeat screening of THERE WILL BE BLOOD still hasn't happened, and sadly it may not. I go through phases of going to the cinema, and it's a rare film that gets a second cinema viewing out of me. (As demonstration: one of my favourite films ever, THE NEW WORLD, only got one viewing from me, as life was busy. Admittedly it only played for 2 weeks, but I still feel bad about this.)

I've also not been to see LUST, CAUTION in the cinema, which is also a shame, and proof to me that if I see a film on DVD, no matter how much I like it, I will not go and see it in the cinema. The last time this happened was Wong Kar Wai's superlative 2046, a film that demanded a cinema viewing, but which I'd already seen 4 times on DVD by the time it came out in Sydney. So it was for LUST, CAUTION, which was available on DVD in Sydney's Chinatown once the film had its Taiwanese release last November.

I hope to see DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY, and friends tell me good things about JUNO... but who knows.

DVD is where it's all happening for me at the moment.

SOLARIS (Tarkovsky) - a re-viewing. The first time I saw this, I was a bit bored, and thought the Soderbergh version a brisker tour through essentially the same material. I think this was just a bad reaction to Tarkovsky's very deliberate style, because once I knew what I was in for, this film became the most rivetting thing I'd seen this year. The ending sequence is a great end for a film. I think the emotional material this one traverses makes it the film that many think THE FOUNTAIN to be. But the music is more abrasive and dissonant, the whole construction stylised, but more austere. It feels perfect, and I can't believe I didn't react so positively to my first viewing.

For this reason, I don't feel too bad that I fell asleep in LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD more than once. Clearly the abrasive wit of PROVIDENCE is not what this Alan Renais film is about, but the film is about something. I will save a second viewing for a time when I haven't had a couple of glasses of white wine. Extraordinary style drives this film, and it's in everything. Much like Wong Kar Wai's ASHES OF TIME, I don't really know what it's about, but it seems to be about 'eternal return', a subject Wong approached hauntingly in IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE.

Tarkovsky was up to bat again with THE MIRROR. This is a much shorter film than SOLARIS. I can't say I 'got' it the first time, but I was getting an idea when it ended. There's some starting sequences in this, and clearly it all means something. As with SOLARIS and IVAN's CHILDHOOD, I suspect a second viewing will illuminate much. This is the real head-spinning cinema, and just to dig my heels into FOUNTAIN again, I imagine many who were taken with the lightshow symbolism of that film would find this would really test whether they believe in film-making as an art.

Orson Welles' THE TRIAL so perfectly captures Kafka in its use of locations for sets that it's easy to forgive the way the film wanders from the story of Kafka's devastating book. Welles made his own take on Kafka here, and the long flirtation scenes of Anthony Perkins (good casting!) with the various 'sirens' (Romy Schneider, Elsa Marinelli and Jeanne Moreau) are worth having, even if they distract from the arcane workings of the Kafka's absurd court. The award for most 'doorways' in a film goes to this one. For anyone who has seen Peter Weir's deadly-serious GALLIPOLI, the use of Albinoni's 'Adagio' is mordently funny.

Truffaut's FAHRENHEIT 451 is not a successful film, but its moving final scene does some serious work at recovering ground. Clearly a great many things were intended with this film, but the cracks show, and only Herrmann and Christie come out untainted by association. A serious piece of science fiction is being taken very seriously here, and it clearly deserves it landmark sci-fi film label, but like some others on that list, this one doesn't really dramatically work. Embarrassing confession: I didn't realise Julie Christie played the wife as well as the neighbour until listening to her commentary.

Also recently:
    - HOLLOW MAN - Verhoeven's voyeurism FINALLY feels like it is justified by the story! A very good film, albeit with the usual kill-everyone style ending.
    - TORA TORA TORA - The number of times better than PEARL HARBOUR this is is equal to the number of lengths of my thumb it would take to measure the cirumference of the earth at the equator. Now imagine if Kurosawa had directed it, and the American section was given a bit more life, how good this could be.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Thor wrote
    There are simply so many roads to take here, "pushing" the viewer to choose links - either plot-wise or symbol-wise, that it's a fountain of possibilities, so to speak. All deliberate, never random.

I really wish he hadn't shoe-horned so many symbols into it though. 'Meaning' comes not from the action (and his efforts at depicting), and more from the audience's repository of symbols. I would have rather the film were populated with things that were personal to him that we knew nothing about. That would have engaged me a lot more as a viewer, filled it with unresolved mysteries rather than a bunch of shortcut codes. As it was, I found myself uninvolved and predicting where the film go next, and it rarely managed to catch me by surprise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    There are simply so many roads to take here, "pushing" the viewer to choose links - either plot-wise or symbol-wise, that it's a fountain of possibilities, so to speak. All deliberate, never random.

I really wish he hadn't shoe-horned so many symbols into it though. 'Meaning' comes not from the action (and his efforts at depicting), and more from the audience's repository of symbols.

Well, those are my favourite kinds of films. Screw the actions, I want pure audiovisual symbolism that the audience needs to decipher for itself! It's particularly engaging when this sort of art approach is applied within a more or less mainstream Hollywood narrative - a crash of styles (for example, should we take this at face value as there IS a story being told or should we eschew it in favour of something mythic on another level, outside and beyond the story?).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Some people seem to think THE FOUNTAIN is some remarkably demanding film that people have to think about. I don't agree. I think the fact that it cashes in on a wealth of symbolic associations means it gives its audience some pretty easy shorthand to work it all out. If people are struggling with THE FOUNTAIN, it's because the film-making experience they're after doesn't involve thinking at all, so ANY work is an unwelcome aberrance from their norm. But if you're a switched-on viewer, I struggle with the notion that Aronofsky's film is full of unresolved issues and truly challening moments. It's incredible arthouse eye-candy (and ear-candy, as minimalism + rock progressions is the soundtrack), but there's got to be more to the really great films than absorbing surfaces. Again, I'll compare it to Tarkovsky's THE MIRROR, where the 'meaning' of a lot of the imagery doesn't necessarily resonate within its audience's collective memory, but it obviously means something to the auteur of the piece. I didn't completely understand this film when I saw it a couple of days ago - but I've thought of it often, and I can imagine the second viewing will be very rewarding. THE FOUNTAIN didn't vex me at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Pfff, I had this huge post all written up in my head on the the plethora of symbols and "mystic" issues in The Fountain, and how, if you mix 'em together enough with enough sound and fury, many of the audience will indeed "find their own truth" in the film (which is basically saying that there IS no common ground for any meaningful discussion, and a serious cop-out for any serious director), but Franz eloquently (and quite a bit more succinctly than I would have done) beat me to it.

I agree with every single point he makes.
    (and the Earth doth shake on its vestiges... wink)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    BobdH wrote
    AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS
    Phileas Fogg and Passepartout travel from studio backlot 8 to meadow 14 in this not-so-epic yet epic-in-its-cameos silly version of Jules Vernes famous story. It's all overly kid-friendly, so I guess it serves as a great introduction for the juniors, but anyone above that age will get irritated over the enormous errors and improbable situations (no compass?). Still, there were a few great gags, and 'spot the celebrity' is always a fun game to play.

You've seen it too friday on TV? smile
    I enjoyed it a lot in a sunday-afternoon-family-movie kind of way. I could even stand Jackie Chan and that says something! I thought it was a cute movie. Maybe it's better appreciated if you do not think of the famous story?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    3:10 To Yuma - I really like it! I just wish there were more action sequences, or the ones in there were longer. The dialogue bits were great, don't get me wrong, but westerns should have more gun fights and chases!

Beltrami's score was ok. It at least made me giggle when he used his ''motif'' that appears in nearly all his scores, only this time orchestrated on guitars instead of a horde of percussion. Don't think I'll buy the score though. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Some people seem to think THE FOUNTAIN is some remarkably demanding film that people have to think about. I don't agree. I think the fact that it cashes in on a wealth of symbolic associations means it gives its audience some pretty easy shorthand to work it all out. If people are struggling with THE FOUNTAIN, it's because the film-making experience they're after doesn't involve thinking at all, so ANY work is an unwelcome aberrance from their norm. But if you're a switched-on viewer, I struggle with the notion that Aronofsky's film is full of unresolved issues and truly challening moments. It's incredible arthouse eye-candy (and ear-candy, as minimalism + rock progressions is the soundtrack), but there's got to be more to the really great films than absorbing surfaces. Again, I'll compare it to Tarkovsky's THE MIRROR, where the 'meaning' of a lot of the imagery doesn't necessarily resonate within its audience's collective memory, but it obviously means something to the auteur of the piece. I didn't completely understand this film when I saw it a couple of days ago - but I've thought of it often, and I can imagine the second viewing will be very rewarding. THE FOUNTAIN didn't vex me at all.

I didn't really compare it to other arthouse traditions, but took it on its own terms. First of all, there were all the narrative liberties. Three parallell stories - some told forward in portions, some told backwards in portions, some told backwards first and then forwards. The first challenge then lies in tieing them all together in some meaningful way and looking for clues in how to do it. This wouldn't necessarily be all that complex in itself if it wasn't for the fact that Aronofsky also injects these moments of pure audiovisual symbolism that almost lie beyond the story. Should we take these into account as well? The brilliance of this film lies in the dynamic between narrative complexity and audiovisual symbolism. At times, I felt quite frustrated (as in "make up your mind already!"), but in retrospect, I see that there's a lot to read INTO the film here...and that's not a cop-out for me, it's a big plus. I'd be willing to admit that there may be a few unresolved plot lines or ideas, but I'd have to watch the film a few more times in order to decipher everything.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Slight confession. One thing that proved to be quite a definitive moment for me in THE FOUNTAIN...

(SPOILER)
    At a moment near the end, the Conquistador approaches the Tree of Life. When sap from the tree hits the ground, flowers sprout. He drinks the sap greedily. I joked to my companion in the cinema that it would be funny if instead of eternal life, the Conquistador started sprouting flowers. Unfortunately the film's humourless pursuit of that idea proved to be very funny indeed, and we were both laughing at the worst possible time. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote

I didn't really compare it to other arthouse traditions, but took it on its own terms. First of all, there were all the narrative liberties. Three parallell stories - some told forward in portions, some told backwards in portions, some told backwards first and then forwards. The first challenge then lies in tieing them all together in some meaningful way and looking for clues in how to do it. This wouldn't necessarily be all that complex in itself if it wasn't for the fact that Aronofsky also injects these moments of pure audiovisual symbolism that almost lie beyond the story. Should we take these into account as well? The brilliance of this film lies in the dynamic between narrative complexity and audiovisual symbolism. At times, I felt quite frustrated (as in "make up your mind already!"), but in retrospect, I see that there's a lot to read INTO the film here...and that's not a cop-out for me, it's a big plus. I'd be willing to admit that there may be a few unresolved plot lines or ideas, but I'd have to watch the film a few more times in order to decipher everything.

But surely what you have then is really nothing more than your own personal work?
    This bothers me as it completely removes any onus from the film maker to make sense or try and point something out or make us think. The overall message seems to be that if only you put enough symbolism into it, and spice it up with audiovisual candy, the audience will make of it what they will, as there's something in there to please (or annoy) everyone.
    To me that's lazy film making.

And that goes directly to the idea of taking this film at its own terms: It doesn't define any!
    Had this been a piece of performance art, running 24/7 in MOMA, I'd have thought it was an interesting and inspired piece of work. Brave, even.
    But it's presented as a feature film, which is in fact a fantastic cop-out, because it won't be held to the rather rigorous standards of art (what does it mean? What are you trying to express? What is the emotion behind it and how are you conveying it?).
    As it is now though any critics may be too easily dismissed as "just don't getting it", or "not getting into it".

What we have now is neither a proper work of art, nor a proper feauture film.
    It's a jumble of far too easy symbolics (Good God: he even pulls the old Cancer card as the antithesis of life!), presented in a haphazard and random way, without there being any sort of intellectual, philosophical or emotional challenge.
    I come away overwhelmed but unsated.
    I have learned nothing.
    I feel nothing.

It's a beautifully and intricately carved golden shell.
    But it IS hollow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    SPOILER!

franz_conrad wrote
    Slight confession. One thing that proved to be quite a definitive moment for me in THE FOUNTAIN...

(SPOILER)
    At a moment near the end, the Conquistador approaches the Tree of Life. When sap from the tree hits the ground, flowers sprout. He drinks the sap greedily. I joked to my companion in the cinema that it would be funny if instead of eternal life, the Conquistador started sprouting flowers. Unfortunately the film's humourless pursuit of that idea proved to be very funny indeed, and we were both laughing at the worst possible time. wink

I agree that it's kind of an awkward moment, unintentionally funny (and when I discussed this scene with my friend afterwards, we laughed a bit too). But it makes SENSE. Tomas commits a mortal sin (greed) and is punished by death...but a type of death that is life. Rebirth.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    But surely what you have then is really nothing more than your own personal work?
    This bothers me as it completely removes any onus from the film maker to make sense or try and point something out or make us think. The overall message seems to be that if only you put enough symbolism into it, and spice it up with audiovisual candy, the audience will make of it what they will, as there's something in there to please (or annoy) everyone.
    To me that's lazy film making.

"Open" films like these will always have an amount of reading things into it that may or may not have been intended by the filmmaker. That's true of all art.

And that goes directly to the idea of taking this film at its own terms: It doesn't define any!
    Had this been a piece of performance art, running 24/7 in MOMA, I'd have thought it was an interesting and inspired piece of work. Brave, even.
    But it's presented as a feature film, which is in fact a fantastic cop-out, because it won't be held to the rather rigorous standards of art (what does it mean? What are you trying to express? What is the emotion behind it and how are you conveying it?).
    As it is now though any critics may be too easily dismissed as "just don't getting it", or "not getting into it".

What we have now is neither a proper work of art, nor a proper feauture film.

So what you're saying is that art cannot co-exist with a feature film format?!?

It's a jumble of far too easy symbolics (Good God: he even pulls the old Cancer card as the antithesis of life!), presented in a haphazard and random way, without there being any sort of intellectual, philosophical or emotional challenge.

I agree that many of the symbolic OBJECTS themselves are easy (the ring as the "circle of life" is another), but those are points-of-departure, not ends in themselves. You have to see in what CONTEXT the symbolic object is being used. Beyond that, there's also the symbolism in actions, visuals, dialogue - and an unprecedented amount of COMBINATIONS of these elements.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    "Open" films like these will always have an amount of reading things into it that may or may not have been intended by the filmmaker. That's true of all art.

Oh, I completely agree on principle.
    But the thing that worries me with this film is its shotgun approach: just throw enough poly-interpretable "heavy subjects" at the audience and see what sticks.

So what you're saying is that art cannot co-exist with a feature film format?!?

biggrin

You know me better than that (I would hope. smile ).
    What I'm saying is that this particular film isn't a proper feature film due to its incoherency, it's selfindulgence and its lack of focus, nor is it a proper work of art (even though it has a certain elitist sensibility that is found in some modern art appreciation) as it doesn't meet what I would consider even the most basic of standards for a proper work of art.

Yeah, I realize full well that this is pretty much an open invitation for an interminable debate on what exactly constitutes art, but -while I always welcome any conversation that has the potential for new insights- that's not really my intent here. I am making a far more basic point: this film was offered to popular cinemas all over the globe, and not to any museum or exhibition. Hence my making the distinction: the film offers a lot that might be construed as art, but purports to be popular (even though its director has a history of mocking and deriding any of the audience "not getting it" ).

I agree that many of the symbolic OBJECTS themselves are easy (the ring as the "circle of life" is another), but those are points-of-departure, not ends in themselves. You have to see in what CONTEXT the symbolic object is being used. Beyond that, there's also the symbolism in actions, visuals, dialogue - and an unprecedented amount of COMBINATIONS of these elements.

Yes, I understand perfectly what you mean,a dn I'm not contesting it at all.
    In fact, that whole infinite symbolic diversity in infinite combinations (plastic kudos to the first one getting the terribly anoraky popular reference here) is pretty much my gripe against it!

It's interesting to me to see that you (and apparently a great many others) get a lot out of this film.
    Which makes it all the more sad that in my opinion at the end of the day you can't really have a proper discussion on this film as there is -as I said earlier- no actual common ground work from!
    The best we can do is to have a conversation where mutual points of view are explained.

You argue most convincingly in the film's favour, and I can find no fault or issue with your reasoning or interpretation. I on the other hand would like to think I argue as convincingly against its merits, and I don't think my interpretation is "wrong" (or due to misperception) per se either.

This alone makes it a poor film in my opinion.
    But I'm perfectly happy to accept that that may be exactly what any other might be looking for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Oh, I completely agree on principle.
    But the thing that worries me with this film is its shotgun approach: just throw enough poly-interpretable "heavy subjects" at the audience and see what sticks.

Well, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that I don't think the intention was to overwhelm the spectator with a bunch of "heavy subjects" as some sort of sociological experiment. Since the special feature interview talked about how this had been Aronofsky's pet project for many years, and really what his career had been leading up to all along, I think there's a very conscious idea behind everything (from the first stage of conception to eventual execution). It's just that some of the ideas will inevitably fly by the spectator and others will be interpreted in unintended ways. But in a way, that becomes a VALUE in itself - like performance art that has no set meanings from which it is impossible to deviate.

You know me better than that (I would hope. smile ).
    What I'm saying is that this particular film isn't a proper feature film due to its incoherency, it's selfindulgence and its lack of focus, nor is it a proper work of art (even though it has a certain elitist sensibility that is found in some modern art appreciation) as it doesn't meet what I would consider even the most basic of standards for a proper work of art.

Well, a 'feature film' by definition only implies the "main event" of the evening (since it hails back to the days when it was preceded by various shorts and newsreels) and needs to be of a certain length (I think about an hour or so). Perhaps you're thinking of a "classical Hollywood film", which has additional stylistic criteria as well?

If so, I agree with you that it's very untypical. This has production values like a typical Hollywood film and there are elements in the storyline that also imply such (remember, a classical Hollywood film is a more flexible term than many believe), and yet it does not really qualify. There are too many "verfremdungs"-effects, disruptive story devices, jump cuts, multiple diegeses etc. In that respect, it's firmly rooted in the experimental arthouse tradition of Godard et.al. So it's a strange hybrid, and that is also what makes it so fascinating, IMO, and even a more challenging film to decipher than, say, Godard's PIERROT LE FOU, whose entire PROJECT is about being playful with the film medium. THE FOUNTAIN is MORE than that.

This very duality or schizophrenia is obviously something you see as a weakness (since you made a particular point about the arena in which it is being shown), while I see it as a strength.

It's interesting to me to see that you (and apparently a great many others) get a lot out of this film.

Well, I think I need to see it at least a couple of more times in order to properly say what I have gotten out of it. After the first viewing, I merely became aware the plethora of possible interpretations, links and layers that would need further investigation. I had an interesting, 15-minute conversation with my friend afterwards where we tried to chart some of this terrain, but there's obviously far more out there. Any film that provokes this from me, is a good one, IMO.

You argue most convincingly in the film's favour, and I can find no fault or issue with your reasoning or interpretation. I on the other hand would like to think I argue as convincingly against its merits, and I don't think my interpretation is "wrong" (or due to misperception) per se either.

No, no...there's nothing wrong with it at all. I think perhaps there's some differing, fundamental criteria or definitions of what a film is - or should do - that is the cause of this. It's really the same thing that happened in my discussions about film dialogue with franz conrad awhile back.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    BE WARNED: SPOILERS ARE IN THE FOLLOWING TEXT!

You all seem to be seeking the 'meaning' of the film within the climax, the final moments of Hugh growing weeds and ascending up to heaven, and are, thus, not finding any. For me, the message I got from it lies within the modern world. It's a simple tale of a man's obsession with eternal life (with the fear of death as his motivation) and thus forgetting to spend the time with the living, his dying wife. Izzy tries to tell him this with her novel, not getting through to him with normal conversation. It's Tommy, in fact, who ends the novel, finishes it, and in doing so, finally realises what his wife was trying to tell him (it's his epiphany, made visual in that climactic sequence). The sequences '1000 years in the future' is his struggle with his shame that he didn't want to be with his wife, when she needed him the most. When you look at it that way, with the present as the story's arch and everything surrounding it as a symbolic elaboration, almost every hole on the 'to fill' checklist seem to have been checked. And, if not, isn't 2001: A Space Odyssey also generally perceived as a masterpiece? Well, explain that.

YOU CAN CARRY ON, THE SPOILERS HAVE ENDED
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote

You all seem to be seeking the 'meaning' of the film within the climax, the final moments of Hugh growing weeds and ascending up to heaven, and are, thus, not finding any. For me, the message I got from it lies within the modern world. It's a simple tale of a man's obsession with eternal life (with the fear of death as his motivation) and thus forgetting to spend the time with the living, his dying wife. Izzy tries to tell him this with her novel, not getting through to him with normal conversation. It's Tommy, in fact, who ends the novel, finishes it, and in doing so, finally realises what his wife was trying to tell him (it's his epiphany, made visual in that climactic sequence). The sequences '1000 years in the future' is his struggle with his shame that he didn't want to be with his wife, when she needed him the most. When you look at it that way, with the present as the story's arch and everything surrounding it as a symbolic elaboration, almost every hole on the 'to fill' checklist seem to have been checked. And, if not, isn't 2001: A Space Odyssey also generally perceived as a masterpiece? Well, explain that.

No, the "meaning" in the film is not only located in the ending, but throughout the film and different guises. I agree with your assessment of the overall plotline (although there are also other ways to interpret it), but there is a lot of "pollution" inbetween the sequences that open up other possibilities and settling that the film can be two things at the same time (for example, the life ship scenario may be Tommy's final chapter and a kind of spiritual "mirror" world, but there are also elements in it that can turn it into a separate allegory or an actual, chronological event).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Sure, there are other ways to look at it, and many will see many scenes as just that - pollution. And of course there are many things to it. But to me, when you should ask me about the message (and when people are claiming there isn't any), then that is it. smile It's also the clearest message of all and one that can be discussed right after seeing the movie.
  5. Incidentally, a film which I thought attempted something very similar to THE FOUNTAIN, but which I found far more moving and mystifying, was Wong Kar Wai's 2046. There, a novellist's life is intercut with what may be excerpts from his sci-fi novels, but the stories from those novels seem to operate in the present and the author's past as well as his abstract futuristic world.

And, if not, isn't 2001: A Space Odyssey also generally perceived as a masterpiece? Well, explain that.

I think one thing that helps 2001 a great deal is the decision not to locate the film in the experiences of main character, but to keep us on the outside, like a deity waiting for creation to move to the next level. FOUNTAIN's story removes the sense of objectivity that adds to the grave feel of Kubrick's film. This is not to say that a more subjectively-centred narrative can't achieve the (mind the pun) gravity of Kubrick's film, otherwise I'd be ruling out Tarkovsky's SOLARIS as well. (And BLADE RUNNER, for that matter.)

Another thing that would help Kubrick's film to some extent is that the mystery is unresolved. Knowing what the colour red means or understanding how many candles are lit at Hannukah or the importance of pyramid structures in Mayan cosmology or arches in western art will not help you resolve 2001. And the reason why 2001 has this feel is because there were once answers in it, but clarifying dialogue, narration and scenes were removed that would have made many things clear. The film is better for the deletions, and I wonder if those structuring absences could have been stumbled upon intentionally even by Kubrick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh, I would definitely agree that 2001 is a much better and rewarding film than THE FOUNTAIN on most accounts!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. RAMBO

Spoiler alert

ACTUALLY quite good movie. Much better than I thought. Very modern action thriller shows Sylvester Stallone to be a very capable director, perhaps better than actor and writer. Short movie, Stallone plays Rambo very ably though the character after First Blood doesn't have much to play and Stallone knowing his weaknesses just doesn't make John Rambo to be a complex character except his actions.

Much has been said of the film's violence. Yes, the film is pretty damn violent. It's not bullet wounds, it's flying body parts. The sniper scenes are particularly well made - I've read that this kind of half of brain falling apart is actually true to a sniper shot. The blood spurt in explosions is also something, I think the whole gore shows Stallone ironically as a pacifist. Yes, we are happy that the damn Burmese soldiers suffer from massive dismemberment in the end, because of what they've done in the village and the earlier executions (amazing scenes, some of the better ethnic cleansing scenes I've seen in Hollywood, on the level of Blood Diamond and DEFINITELY better than Tears of the Sun and maybe first scene of Black Hawk Down) and I am a fan of the ethnic cleansing action drama/thriller myself. Very good photography, some great effects - one explosions. One scene unintentionally funny in the end, when Rambo stabs the Burmese officer, both being obviously victims of constipation, ending up in some kind of vertical harakiri (they *had* to work on that effect a bit). The officer's constipation is grounded by the place he was stabbed in (obviously around the intestines, sorry for that gross detail), Rambo's is just Stallone's acting obviously.

Here we come to the score. That scene features one of the sadly little and best references to Goldsmith's material, repeating the thematic material (not a simple repeat, it's actually a variation) from part two and three for a while. Brian Tyler's score functions very well, though again in its functional principles this is actually rather a Hans Zimmer work than Jerry Goldsmith. The sheer brutality of parts of the score (the rescue scene is particularly brilliant in that matter) may be Goldsmithian, but the functionality is something like Tears of the Sun without the Barberesque dramatic parts. Thus it works rather well as showing the brutality of the Burmese army (that shrill brass and strong percussion) and the innocence and suffering of the Karen people and the missionaries shown by the Beyond Rangoon meets Journey to the Line theme. That was quite effective and worked well. The new Rambo action theme is a decent MV anthem, heard best in the rescue scene (the final escape I think). Tyler works with the film rather ably. Sadly he's rather unoriginal. It's a Long Road is heard four times, twice in a variation, maybe a bit too little, though again there would be little place. I don't think this score could be in any way more Goldsmithian. The film completely differs from the series' tone (OK, it's a bit similar to the raw First Blood sometimes) and the more stark and realistic approach demands more modern and sometimes even MV approach, so these choices are understandable.

Gory and good thriller I would say.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008
    Pawel, that was probably the best and fairest description of the score that I've heard yet.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  7. Thanks, Matt. I guess I should review more movies here biggrin . I guess I warmed up to Brian Tyler a bit after seeing the movie, though the score release is jsut too long and features too much underscore. It wou;d be a strong four-star effort had it been twice as shorter.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website