• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2008
    Love the happening, wouldn't change a thing in it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote
    I don't generally like comic book films but I watched Burton's Batman a few weeks ago and it's a pity it is probably destined to be considered the poor relation from now on. It's an excellent film, aided by a score by a composer who knew how to score such a film.

First, Elfman admitted that he had a lot of problems with scoring Batman. He was scared of the film's scope and the Joker material helped him get through it.

Second, Burton's and Nolan's vision are different beasts. I agree that Burton's film is excellent, but I can't really compare it to Nolan's series.

Oh, I agree (though I'm yet to see The Dark Knight!) Burton's film has had a lot of bad press though because people are comparing them, which is a bit unfair.

Other comic book films I like are the first two X-Men (another decent director who hasn't got a clue about how to use music).

I'm looking forward to watching The Happening on Blu-Ray. I've had a change of heart with Shyamalan - I thought The Sixth Sense was pretty poor and Unbreakable was a pile of trash, and while I've watched Unbreakable again and still think that, I also took time to watch Signs and The Village and enjoyed them both, particularly the former.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, movie-wise (script, photography, directing, editing and pace, overall tone and atmosphere) and actinh-wise. I stand by it smile

Depends on how much you know your comics?

No offence D but Martijn really knows his stuff.

It's the best comic book film I've seen. I'm not a big fan of superhero films anyway, only if they're good films. Spider-Man 1, 2 and 3 are trash (enjoyable in some parts though).
  1. Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote
    I don't generally like comic book films but I watched Burton's Batman a few weeks ago and it's a pity it is probably destined to be considered the poor relation from now on. It's an excellent film, aided by a score by a composer who knew how to score such a film.

First, Elfman admitted that he had a lot of problems with scoring Batman. He was scared of the film's scope and the Joker material helped him get through it.

Second, Burton's and Nolan's vision are different beasts. I agree that Burton's film is excellent, but I can't really compare it to Nolan's series.

Oh, I agree (though I'm yet to see The Dark Knight!) Burton's film has had a lot of bad press though because people are comparing them, which is a bit unfair.

Other comic book films I like are the first two X-Men (another decent director who hasn't got a clue about how to use music).

I'm looking forward to watching The Happening on Blu-Ray. I've had a change of heart with Shyamalan - I thought The Sixth Sense was pretty poor and Unbreakable was a pile of trash, and while I've watched Unbreakable again and still think that, I also took time to watch Signs and The Village and enjoyed them both, particularly the former.

That's why I don't compare the series at all. Comparing Ledger's and Nicholson's performances does injustice to BOTH actors, because both were amazing in their depiction of a specific vision of Joker. Burton is campy and gothic, Nolan tries psychological realism with fearsome anarchy. In that way, Nolan's Joker is a symbol, rather than a fully-fledged character. Yes, he is an amazing character, but the thing was to make him a some kind of metaphysical simpleton when it comes to his personality, to make him necessarily scary, but on the other hand scarily right. The depth of Ledger's version is not in the character's behavior, but in some of his speeches. And that makes Nolan's film so amazing.

Though this Batman is not about Batman. The intellectual (yes, intellectual) and emotional core of the film lies in a completely different place. That's also in some way great, possibly that's why Nolan quit "Batman" as the title here. It's also pretty important which scene is the pinpoint of that message. Not too optimistic, though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, movie-wise (script, photography, directing, editing and pace, overall tone and atmosphere) and actinh-wise. I stand by it smile

Depends on how much you know your comics?

No offence D but Martijn really knows his stuff.

It's the best comic book film I've seen. I'm not a big fan of superhero films anyway, only if they're good films. Spider-Man 1, 2 and 3 are trash (enjoyable in some parts though).

Thank you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hostage

A surprisingly good thriller. All falls apart a bit at the end but otherwise it holds up well. Nice score too.
  2. Southall wrote
    Hostage

A surprisingly good thriller. All falls apart a bit at the end but otherwise it holds up well. Nice score too.

I love the bit where the villain carries two Molotov cocktails in either hand towards the children, but on seeing a vision of the virgin Mary in the teenage girl, he drops them, and is engulfed in flames. Only a French director would have done such a ridiculous scene with such conviction.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Reign Over Me

Man what a totally incredible performance by Adam Sandler! I honestly felt for the guy... Sandler totally carries the movie... But why no oscar?

You want an powerfully emotional psychological drama with some moments of comedy, this is for you! Even if you hate Sandler, I guarantee you will love him here!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008 edited
    [edited to correct "Beck" for "Kent")

DreamTheater wrote
    Reign Over Me

Man what a totally incredible performance by Adam Sandler! I honestly felt for the guy... Sandler totally carries the movie... But why no oscar?

You want an powerfully emotional psychological drama with some moments of comedy, this is for you! Even if you hate Sandler, I guarantee you will love him here!

Couldn't agree more, such an underrated gem, i remember how stunned i was when i watched it. A movie that has really touched me.

But why no mention about the excellent score by Kent? Especially if you listen to it outside the movie, after you've watched it, it can get quite an emotional and soothing experience. Certainly one of his best works to date, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008
    Don't you mean Kent? cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008
    Yeah, my bad.

No; wait.....Beck, Kent......is it really my fault? biggrin shame
  4. Christodoulides wrote

But why no mention about the excellent score by Kent? Especially if you listen to it outside the movie, after you've watched it, it can get quite an emotional and soothing experience. Certainly one of his best works to date, imo.

I was too captivated by the drama and acting to hear the music. I admit I don't know the composer nor his work.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008
    Last night I watched Mongol. I was pleasantly surprised that the local cinema was playing such a non-mainstream film. About the film itself, however, I have mixed feelings. The overall experience was positive as production values seemed generally high, the plot was easy to follow, there were some gorgeous massive FX shots, and the historical setting felt generally authentic (at least to someone of little knowledge of the real culture like me).

On the other hand...two aspects which I found disappointing were #1) the overall picture quality... I guess I am now spoiled by hi-def digital presentations because everything seemed blurry and less defined than the typical mainstream release. and #2) the script. a lot of the dialogue was incredibly simplistic and cliched...maybe it lost some of its subtlety in translation? (SPOILER) for example...the scene when Temudgin returns to secure his wife, having not seen her since he picked her out a decade ago...seemed so fake that it was almost laughable. Surely they could have done better?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Saw Pedro Almodovar's Flower of My Secret a couple of nights ago. An author using a pseudonym is assigned to review her own novel. She has problems of her own including a failing marriage. Quite nice... but I did not find it as absorbing as his other films.
    But I do love those little quirky things that are so Almodovar-- the scenes with author's sister and her mom are hilarious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Just watched Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog today (imdb). It's a hilarious mini-musical by Joss Whedon with Nathan Fillion in one of the main roles. They're a deadly combination (Firefly, Drive, and now this one), and it keeps getting better. All 3 episodes (under 15 minutes each) and even soundtrack are available on iTunes (unfortunately).
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008
    Scribe wrote
    Last night I watched Mongol. I was pleasantly surprised that the local cinema was playing such a non-mainstream film. About the film itself, however, I have mixed feelings. The overall experience was positive as production values seemed generally high, the plot was easy to follow, there were some gorgeous massive FX shots, and the historical setting felt generally authentic (at least to someone of little knowledge of the real culture like me).

On the other hand...two aspects which I found disappointing were #1) the overall picture quality... I guess I am now spoiled by hi-def digital presentations because everything seemed blurry and less defined than the typical mainstream release. and #2) the script. a lot of the dialogue was incredibly simplistic and cliched...maybe it lost some of its subtlety in translation? (SPOILER) for example...the scene when Temudgin returns to secure his wife, having not seen her since he picked her out a decade ago...seemed so fake that it was almost laughable. Surely they could have done better?

Not a mention about Kantelinen's score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The score for Mongol was pretty good...the ethnic elements are fantasic...but there is something wrong with the recording of the orchestra...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A little too distant, that is. Not too much depth in the recording.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008
    MUlan

I watched this only for Goldsmith's score, wich is SUBLIME! Perfect, gorgeous and amazing.

I must confess i really like the Hair Cut film version, it's a classic pop 80's sound (even if the movit it's 90's...)

About the movie, well it's funny enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008
    Brian DePalma's Phantom of the Paradise punk
    I'm trying to fill the holes in my list of DePalma movies that I've seen. I'd avoided this one for quite a while owing to the musical genre. But my, oh my... it's quite delicious, a bit of stage and spectacle & a guilty pleasure. The songs by Paul Williams are very catchy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2008
    SILENT HILL ....... and surprisingly, i absolutely LOVED IT! Breathtakingly chilling atmosphere, stunning visuals, EXCELLENT score, gripping and mature story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    SILENT HILL ....... and surprisingly, i absolutely LOVED IT! Breathtakingly chilling atmosphere, stunning visuals, EXCELLENT score, gripping and mature story.

Nice! In it goes into the Netflix queue. smile
  5. Christodoulides wrote

Cool! How do you think it ties in with the videogames? They faithully followed the formula for the first part, but the overall storyline is actually quite similar to those of the games, especially SH1 for the missing girl part and SH3 for the whole ending sequence. I'm guessing the screenwriters have actually played the series, which is a rare thing in Hollywoodland. And how fricking awesome is Piramid Head seeing him on the big screen, isn't he? And most score cues by Akira Yamaoka are directly lifted from the games so it's actually more of a tribute to the medium than a quick cash-in. Say, isn't it about time the sequel gets made. It's been 2 years already!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's planned for 2010, supposedly. It ties with the game ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! Every single bit of detail, from the ashes to the music, the canyons, the police woman, the beasts, the pyramid hear and the crab, the storyline the chilling atmosphere, the terror and the darkness, i just loved every single bit of it!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Seres Queridos (Only Human)
    A delightful Spanish film that's probably inspired by Meet The Parents. Only this time, it's a Palestinian guy and Jewish woman at the in-laws. Great fun! Lots of quirky characters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2008
    Nowhere in Africa
    Wow! I'm a sucker for movies with an Africa theme and this one swept me away. Wonderful story (based on a true story) about a Jewish family escaping Hitler's Germany and making a life in Africa. A very nice score too. I should probably use it in a GTS game on Africa wink
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    BhelPuri wrote
    Nowhere in Africa
    Wow! I'm a sucker for movies with an Africa theme and this one swept me away. Wonderful story (based on a true story) about a Jewish family escaping Hitler's Germany and making a life in Africa. A very nice score too. I should probably use it in a GTS game on Africa wink

I'm also an african/middle eastern addict. Sounds like this is one I need to see.
    I bought the movie the wind and the lion yesterday. I've loved the score, but never saw the film.

What are your favorite african scores?
    Mine would have to be The Ghost and the Darkness and Amistad.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Nowhere in Africa

I'm also an african/middle eastern addict. Sounds like this is one I need to see.
    I bought the movie the wind and the lion yesterday. I've loved the score, but never saw the film.

What are your favorite african scores?
    Mine would have to be The Ghost and the Darkness and Amistad.

It's hardly ever mentioned but Christopher Gunning's WILD AFRICA is a fantastic score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched Billion Dollar Brain with Caine, Malden, Homolka last night. I'd seen it before but I really wanted to play close attention to the Bennett score in the film.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    HALF NELSON

An exceptional performance by Ryan Gosling doesn't save this movie of being a bit chaotic sometimes. I was really not sure what the filmmakers wanted to say. Probably nothing special, just show how friendship can develop between two unconventional characters.