• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote

- Body of Lies (Ridley Scott) - the most interesting character and performance is not one of the two top-billed actors. Mark Strong walks away with this film. Story is ok but overlooks its most interesting dramatic potential to keep Russell and Leo DiC at the centre of the story. Music is like the paint that dries on the average wall - you don't want it to stand out, and indeed, it doesn't fail at that task.

Yes, he was excellent - very scary and intimidating performance. I really liked it, but I couldn't help thinking that DiCaprio's character should have been killed in that gruesome scene at the end, it would have made a much bigger impact on the audience. Why are they so scared to try something like that and not wrap it up in a pseudo-happy ending?

Agree with you about the music. I think Scott has found his perfect composer... unfortunately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008
    The BODY OF LIES score is way above the average Marc Streitenfield score. I've heard it outside the movie and i love it but i haven't watched the movie yet, will do so next week but as a listening experience on CD for a middle-eastern music loving freak like me, it has some top moments in it. Looking forward to the movie itself.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You feeling okay Demetris?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why not?
  1. HeeroJF wrote
    ^ I found Thomas Glorieux's clip from Doomsday quite quite captivating in his "Action Unleashed" game last week.

Was that the only good bit in the whole score or what? I was already considering getting it. That clip alone ranked at least a 2 or 3 out of 5 in my book.

RV: Planet Earth, the first 2 episodes
    Birds of paradise were amazing, but seeing that shark jump out of the water, whole, to catch a seal was just about the most jaw-dropping thing I'd ever seen. And I have even more respect for George Fenton's score now.
    omg

true, Bates score is no highlight but a small surprise nonetheless
    it seems everybody hates Bates here, I don't wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    The BODY OF LIES score is way above the average Marc Streitenfield score. I've heard it outside the movie and i love it but i haven't watched the movie yet, will do so next week but as a listening experience on CD for a middle-eastern music loving freak like me, it has some top moments in it. Looking forward to the movie itself.

I thought it was no better than THE KINGDOM in the end. The usual sounds for the usual desert things. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

- Body of Lies (Ridley Scott) - the most interesting character and performance is not one of the two top-billed actors. Mark Strong walks away with this film. Story is ok but overlooks its most interesting dramatic potential to keep Russell and Leo DiC at the centre of the story. Music is like the paint that dries on the average wall - you don't want it to stand out, and indeed, it doesn't fail at that task.

Yes, he was excellent - very scary and intimidating performance. I really liked it, but I couldn't help thinking that DiCaprio's character should have been killed in that gruesome scene at the end, it would have made a much bigger impact on the audience. Why are they so scared to try something like that and not wrap it up in a pseudo-happy ending?

Russell Crowe's character should have been much smaller. It felt like they tried to make that character much bigger than it originally was, but there simply wasn't much for him to do.
    I didn't actually find Mark Strong that scary actually. I found him the only character with much integrity - the only one I really liked of the central trio.
    The big thing they let go for me was the fact that Leo had set up this innocent man to look like a terrorist. The story of that man - told from the point of view of that man - was the really interesting story that this film only flirted with. The moral side of what they did to him, and the terror of his experiences, could have made for a film of their own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I thought it was no better than THE KINGDOM in the end. The usual sounds for the usual desert things. wink

I liked the organic nature of the score and the hordes of physical, real middle-eastern instruments. I am sucker for stuff like that but of course i've heard it on CD numerous times, it has crafted its mark something i am sure it won't be able to do through the movie; or not allowed to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Transformers

Extremely silly but very well-done for what it was. And I think I'm in love with Megan Fox.

It's a masterpiece of visual effects. The artistry and effort that was involved in creating the special effects for that movie must have been phenomenal.

I thought the same. With all the crap CGI around, most special effects look a lot less special than they did 30 years ago when they used miniatures and, more importantly, imagination - but Transformers was really very impressive in that regard. I find it unbelievable that so much love and care can go into virtually every aspect of a film and yet they keep a clunky, crappy script (and have such a humdrum score).

I think I'll have to see it.....just for the FX cool

Turn the sound off, play a decent score and enjoy the ride, that's what I say!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But it already has a much-decent one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Russell Crowe's character should have been much smaller. It felt like they tried to make that character much bigger than it originally was, but there simply wasn't much for him to do.
    I didn't actually find Mark Strong that scary actually. I found him the only character with much integrity - the only one I really liked of the central trio.
    The big thing they let go for me was the fact that Leo had set up this innocent man to look like a terrorist. The story of that man - told from the point of view of that man - was the really interesting story that this film only flirted with. The moral side of what they did to him, and the terror of his experiences, could have made for a film of their own.

I liked the explosions and helicopters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

Not when I watched it! Absolute garbage. But, to each his own!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Not when I watched it!

Watch it again, it might have a different one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Not when I watched it!

Watch it again, it might have a different one.

Let's hope so. I might have a curry before I watch it, because the sound of me farting for an hour and a half would demonstrate far more musical skill than what was in that film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Transformers

Extremely silly but very well-done for what it was. And I think I'm in love with Megan Fox.

It's a masterpiece of visual effects. The artistry and effort that was involved in creating the special effects for that movie must have been phenomenal.

I thought the same. With all the crap CGI around, most special effects look a lot less special than they did 30 years ago when they used miniatures and, more importantly, imagination - but Transformers was really very impressive in that regard. I find it unbelievable that so much love and care can go into virtually every aspect of a film and yet they keep a clunky, crappy script (and have such a humdrum score).

Keep that mindframe! Watch it with low expectations and I guarantee you'll have a blast, and not just because of the FX. I really had a hard time believing the hype so I saw it very sceptically and I laughed my ass off the whole time. Great fun.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Transformers

biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched Maltese Falcon which did have an above average score
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Absolutely no time to listen to scores. But on the movie front all is great smile

Slumdog Millionaire
    Just saw it yesterday. It's had a very limited release thus far. Very entertaining. It's getting a lot of good reviews so it should get a wider release soon. A kid from the slums makes it all the way to the top of the Indian version of Who Wants to Be A Millionaire thanks to every answer being somehow connected to some part of his life. Everyone in the theater was clapping at the end.
    A hip score by AR Rahman punk Perhaps a top contender for cinematography, editing, adapted screenplay...

La Doublure (The Valet)
    A Francis Veber comedy about a valet caught in the middle of a rich businessman (Daniel Auteil) and his affair with a top model. A Desplat score that needs to be released. There's one sequence where it cuts back and forth between a fashion show and a heist and the score easily moves from hip and trendy to tense and exciting--- a wow moment for me!

Apres Vous (After You)
    Delightful French romantic comedy about Daniel Auteil trying to unite a man he saved from suicide, with his erstwhile lover but falls in love with her instead. A bit silly in some parts but it's always entertaining. Composer Camille Bazbaz overuses a 'Tango Charlie' song that makes one tear his hair apart.

El Metodo (The Method)
    Whoah! This little unknown Spanish movie takes a cue from 12 Angry Men and sets the entire movie within the confines of an interview room where a bunch of candidates are vying for the same job. The psychological games that ensue had me enrapt. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    I watched Maltese Falcon which did have an above average score

It certainly does!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008 edited
    I watched Priceless (Hors de prix) last night. It seemed to be primarily a paean to Audrey Tautou (who, for my money, is quite a bit more interesting to watch than Megan Fox. So it had that going for it.) It was a sex comedy about "kept" women and men and the conquering power of twue wove. (Colour me cynical, but when it is suggested that spending your last Euro on toll fares is a good thing, I tend to cast an arched brow in a film's direction.) Still, it was an amusing tale of a tawdry subject. (A subject that was handled in a surprisingly tame way, methinks.)

I am infinitely curious what they used to paste Audrey's amazingly revealing dress to her... self for the scene where she is running in said dress. Gad Elmaleh played the typically clueless love interest. Why do so many French romantic comedies favour hopeless geeks as the protagonist? Gad was fine (although not as good as he was in The Valet) but he never had a chance when Audrey was on screen. Sorry Gad.

I wish I could wax eloquent about the score, but I don't remember a note of it other than the song over the credits. (That was admittedly quite lovely. It's even worth purchasing as a (US) 99 cent on-line single song if it's available.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    markck wrote
    I watched Priceless (Hors de prix) last night. It seemed to be primarily a paean to Audrey Tautou (who, for my money, is quite a bit more interesting to watch than Megan Fox. So it had that going for it.) It was a sex comedy about "kept" women and men and the conquering power of twue wove. (Colour me cynical, but when it is suggested that spending your last Euro on toll fares is a good thing, I tend to cast an arched brow in a film's direction.) Still, it was an amusing tale of a tawdry subject. (A subject that was handled in a surprisingly tame way, methinks.)

I am infinitely curious what they used to paste Audrey's amazingly revealing dress to her... self for the scene where she is running in said dress. Gad Elmaleh played the typically clueless love interest. Why do so many French romantic comedies favour hopeless geeks as the protagonist? Gad was fine (although not as good as he was in The Valet) but he never had a chance when Audrey was on screen. Sorry Gad.

I wish I could wax eloquent about the score, but I don't remember a note of it other than the song over the credits. (That was admittedly quite lovely. It's even worth purchasing as a (US) 99 cent on-line single song if it's available.)

Whoah! shocked I saw the same movie last night and couldn't agree more about your comments on the movie. I do not remember the end credits song though
  4. Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Transformers

Nooooooooooooooo!!! Don't turn the sound off, it adds to the awesome visuals, especially if you are home theatre-equipped. One of the best sounding movies I've ever heard in my short and meaningless life. Turn it up! TURN IT UP!!! (simpsons-joke)
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Didn't it get a nomination for sound or sound editing perhaps?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  5. HeeroJF wrote

Both! Only logical, with the sound design proving just as complex as the visual. I've always loved good sound in movies, it actually adds to my enjoyment of the film.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

Both! Only logical, with the sound design proving just as complex as the visual. I've always loved good sound in movies, it actually adds to my enjoyment of the film.

Me too, but here they ruined it with the inane dialogue and garbage music, which was a real shame. As you say, technically (apart from the music) it sounds wonderful.
  6. BhelPuri wrote
    La Doublure (The Valet)
    A Francis Veber comedy about a valet caught in the middle of a rich businessman (Daniel Auteil) and his affair with a top model. A Desplat score that needs to be released. There's one sequence where it cuts back and forth between a fashion show and a heist and the score easily moves from hip and trendy to tense and exciting--- a wow moment for me!

This is a very short Desplat score, from memory. If it was more than 15 minutes, I'd be surprised.

Gee though - that model whom Auteil is dating. What a woman! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008
    "What is the deal with this bird?"
    "It's what dreams are made of."

One of the top ten films of all time
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Watched The World Is Not Enough last night. Still a very weak film. I get nothing out of it.

Then I started From Russia With Love cool That's more like it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Coincidentally I just rewatched On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
    Very well directed (though slightly overlong in places), and with a stellar cast (I lost a bet against a friend because I didn't recognize Joanna Lumley as one of the girls in the Piz Gloria. slant

Lazenby makes a very good Bond, and though I love Moore's take, I'm sorry Lazenby elected to opt out of any future instalments (the film didn't flop, contrary to popular belief, and he wasn't fired). He did seem to have behaved like a bit of a twat, though, annoying the director and the cast with stupid hijinx.

The music is superb, though the literal copy/paste of both the James Bond theme and the film's main themes over ta number of action sequences feels rushed and inappropriate at places.

Still one of my favourite Bond films. The action, dialogue and cast is marvelous!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008 edited
    I wonder what they would have done with OHMSS if Connery had signed up for it? Many wish he would have done it after seeing the final product which adhered closely to the book, but what would they have done if he had agreed to do it? I suspect they would have been tempted to do more over-the-top stuff like the previous two films...