• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008
    Quite possibly. It's interesting to see that while I love all the over-the-top nonsense going on (yes, I like the Moonraker space battle too!), it's the more direct storylines I find most compelling: In reverse order of preference my top 3 Bond films is

3 From Russia With Love
    2 On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    1 For Your Eyes Only

Non of those have many lasers or rockets in 'em.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Devil Doll with Lionel Barrymore
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    Watched The World Is Not Enough last night. Still a very weak film. I get nothing out of it.

Then I started From Russia With Love cool That's more like it...

Yeah that's more like it! The fight between Bond and Red Grant ( Robert Shaw ) on the train is still one of the most vicious and violent of the entire series.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bond Bond Bond
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Coincidentally I just rewatched On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
    Very well directed (though slightly overlong in places), and with a stellar cast (I lost a bet against a friend because I didn't recognize Joanna Lumley as one of the girls in the Piz Gloria. slant

Lazenby makes a very good Bond, and though I love Moore's take, I'm sorry Lazenby elected to opt out of any future instalments (the film didn't flop, contrary to popular belief, and he wasn't fired). He did seem to have behaved like a bit of a twat, though, annoying the director and the cast with stupid hijinx.

The music is superb, though the literal copy/paste of both the James Bond theme and the film's main themes over ta number of action sequences feels rushed and inappropriate at places.

Still one of my favourite Bond films. The action, dialogue and cast is marvelous!

Great film! punk

I agree with you on the "copy / paste" stuff, this was done in a number of Bond films and had nothing to do with Barry. Just check out the 'Little Nellie' sequence in YOLT, the use of the Bond theme is awful and would have worked so much better with Barry's 007.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008 edited
    RV: Dolores Claiborne
    W-o-w. What a film. Saw that last night and was utterly blown away. The angst of this film is just so compelling. Dolores is such a fascinating strong character! And even the technical level was astounding, with that spectacular eclipse climax.

But interestingly I did not grow terribly more fond of the score from watching the film. Usually experiencing the visuals associated with a score only elevate your appreciation of the music, but for this one I might even say that I may have lost some appreciation for it. Was the score mixed at unnaturally low levels in this film or what? I'll assess once more after I've listened to the CD again.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    1 For Your Eyes Only

You're just saying that because the soundtrack was so good. cool

Goldfinger is my favorite Bond film. It's cool beyond measure and the over-the-top stuff worked well there. Plus they pretty well followed the book and even improved on one of the main problems with Fleming's story. (That's what good movies should do when they're based on books. Unlike the movie I watched last night...) And Honor Blackman is terrific as well, although I thought they wimped out on the resolution of her character. More Cathy Gale, less knuckle-under Bond heroine!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote
    Watched The World Is Not Enough last night. Still a very weak film. I get nothing out of it.

Then I started From Russia With Love cool That's more like it...

Yeah that's more like it! The fight between Bond and Red Grant ( Robert Shaw ) on the train is still one of the most vicious and violent of the entire series.

Aye, one of the greatest fight scenes ever (just under the lethal weapon one on the lawn with the fire hydrant going off cheesy )

FRWL has easily always been my second favorite Bond film (under Dr. No).

Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Coincidentally I just rewatched On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
    Very well directed (though slightly overlong in places), and with a stellar cast (I lost a bet against a friend because I didn't recognize Joanna Lumley as one of the girls in the Piz Gloria. slant

Lazenby makes a very good Bond, and though I love Moore's take, I'm sorry Lazenby elected to opt out of any future instalments (the film didn't flop, contrary to popular belief, and he wasn't fired). He did seem to have behaved like a bit of a twat, though, annoying the director and the cast with stupid hijinx.

The music is superb, though the literal copy/paste of both the James Bond theme and the film's main themes over ta number of action sequences feels rushed and inappropriate at places.

Still one of my favourite Bond films. The action, dialogue and cast is marvelous!

Great film! punk

I agree with you on the "copy / paste" stuff, this was done in a number of Bond films and had nothing to do with Barry. Just check out the 'Little Nellie' sequence in YOLT, the use of the Bond theme is awful and would have worked so much better with Barry's 007.

I third the copy/paste stuff. Was just terrible, especially during the ending fight scene.
    I woud have loved a second outing with Lazenby, but the thought of Connery having done the film is even more exciting.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    IN BRUGES

Excellent and very funny black comedy.

Was it you who recommended this D ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    IN BRUGES

Very possibly. I loved it, every bit of it especially the music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    IN BRUGES

Very possibly. I loved it, every bit of it especially the music.

Yeah it was wickedly funny, it had me and mel laughing out loud. The music by Burwell was very good and the end titles stuck in my head after the film had finished.
  1. Body of Lies

Decided to have some fun on my birthday and saw this movie.

Scott did a fine job, the way he sets the camera and works with his actors is just amazing. Nobody fails. Yes, Mark Strong steals the show with a VERY nuanced performance, he's so nice and yet so cruel. Russell Crowe is almost comedic in his part, perhaps trying to slightly ridicule his character. He doesn't have VERY much to play, but did his part very well. Leonardo has another great performance in his recent streak. And again, a very subtle one.

Cinematography and editing work wonders. I liked how Ridley differed the captions between locations in one country and a country change. It's all very well executed, fast-paced, but never losing the feel of the action. Ridley Scott is just a master in that. I appreciate the violence, it HAS to be realistic to get its message sent right way.

To me the movie was about a misunderstanding of culture. I do agree with what Scott says, the way Russell Crowe's character discusses things with the Mark Strong one and generally the way they talk - DiCaprio and Crowe, that is. Also, the Aisha character is interesting, they NEVER kiss or have sex on screen and actually, the conversation between Aisha's sister and Ferris brings a bit of thought to the political backdrop, discussion on the war.

The film could have ended differently, yes. It would have had bigger impact, but the message is stated anyway. The violence WORKS. Good spy thriller, gruesome, dark, action-packed (though not too much). I liked it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    music?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Oh, I forgot. Streitenfeld works pretty well in setting a dark and Middle Eastern soundscape for the film. Doesn't disturb, gets the action done right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008
    Just watched Ratatouille for the millionth time. I absolutely love it, it's one of my all-time favourite movies! I love food, Pixar, Brad Bird and Giacchino - and it all comes together perfectly in this movie. (At least it does for me.) It's such a heart-warming and charming film with the best animation Pixar has ever done, particularly the water effects. So much detail, so much heart.

It also contains a wonderful quote from the food critic character Anton Ego (played by Peter O'Toole) that perhaps all of us should take a moment to think about:

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends."
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    Ratatouille is a great movie. (All the Pixar movies are worth the time spent watching them.)

I saw Golden Compass the other evening. It's 10 pounds of story in a 5 ounce DVD. It recalls recent popular movies like Harry Potter (kids in a magical world as the protagonists), Narnia (ditto, but with more epic battles) and even the Rings movies (fantasy characters on a quest). That's all good, but there is so much to explain about the world the story takes within that it has a very uneven feel. Some of the background story exposition seemed out-of-place to me. There were several short scenes focused on keeping track of the multiple characters which made me wish I had read the book to see what really happens when there was actually time to explain things. Instead the movie jumps all over the place and throws characters, CG vehicles, CG animals and CG locations at us. Some of the actors try so hard to impress and the music is so emphatic on invoking magic and wonder that it became cloying and overdone for me. Magic and wonder are good when they draw you in, but not when they cause you to focus on the fact that you're watching a movie.

The daemon concept is interesting, although some of the animals are a little too obviously CG. There is a scene where a rat climbs a wall that must have been given to one of the newbie CG people because it is comically unbelievable. That being said, some of the actors are very good, Kidman and Craig in particular. (And you can hardly go wrong with Derek Jacobi and Christopher Lee - even though their parts were minuscule.) I sensed there there was a really interesting story back of all this - one they might have told if only they hadn't needed to spend so much time explaining the world, taking loving, lingering shots of CG vehicles traveling, presenting locations and introducing and keeping track of the multiple characters. The movie ends with an obvious call for a sequel, which does nothing whatsoever to make it more likable. I give it 2 and a half stars, leaning towards two. It's not horrible, but it could have been much, much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I liked that film a lot more than I thought I would. Not a great film, but it managed to keep me entertained throughout. I love the score, can't see what all the fuss was about when it was released? (As in all the negative reactions.) To be fair, quite a few seemed to warm to it in the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008 edited
    I wasn't familiar with the score to Compass before I saw the movie (or the reactions - I guess I wasn't paying attention at the time). It was fine for awhile, but it became cloying and overdone IMHO. Ok, everything is magical and mystical but did it require all that repeated overblown musical pomp? I got it after the first dozen locations and vehicles were presented.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    've been debating whether to read the books before seeing the films... Not sure. Surely the films will come out as disappointments if I read the books first, but then again they could come off as "fun indulgence". It's like seeing one of the worse Harry Potter movies: you know it's a flawed adaptation of the book but you're still enjoying seeing your favourite characters on screen.

Saw last weekend: Hang 'em High
    Starring Clint Eastwood and amazing music by Dominic Frontiere. I was also a very good movie, with a plethora of characters (sometimes too much to keep up with), and a very intimate look over the death penalty. That music was already so much fun on CD, and I appreciate it even more now.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    Has anyone else noticed that when you start listening to a soundtrack to a movie you've seen (or even think about the soundtrack for a movie you've seen), you suddenly have an overwhelming desire to watch said movie? If I didn't have a stack of movies on loan from the library to watch before leaving for Key West this Sunday, I'd have to get my old VHS of Our Man Flint out and watch it...all because I was making fun of the score in another thread.

Funny about that...
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    ^ Except when we're talking about bad movies... No matter how many times I listen to Danny Elfman's wonderful music for Black Beauty, I never, ever get the urge to watch that again!
  3. Hey, I loved Black Beauty!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Maybe I was at a particularly rebellious phase of my artistic life when I saw it but right from the opening seconds of the film when I realized the horse was talking to us and that we'd be sitting through a equine narration, I got off the train and nothing that happened throughout the rest of the movie could get me back on. But I can see how this approach that failed miserably to reach me could have reached someone else. Just didn't do it for me. Heaven knows there are tons of movies I worship that others puke on, so it stands to reason the opposite might happen every now and then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hey, a horse is a horse.
    Of course.
    (Of course!)
    And NO ONE can talk to a horse.
    Of course.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    HeeroJF wrote
    've been debating whether to read the books before seeing the films... Not sure. Surely the films will come out as disappointments if I read the books first, but then again they could come off as "fun indulgence". It's like seeing one of the worse Harry Potter movies: you know it's a flawed adaptation of the book but you're still enjoying seeing your favourite characters on screen.

The trouble is that Golden Compass is a far more difficult book to film, essentially because it's so much cleverer. I thought the film made a decent attempt at it and it's a pity they're not going to do the other two, but perhaps the main reason for that being such a pity is the disappointment at missing out on more magnificence from Alexandre Desplat.
  4. Steven wrote
    I liked that film a lot more than I thought I would. Not a great film, but it managed to keep me entertained throughout. I love the score, can't see what all the fuss was about when it was released? (As in all the negative reactions.) To be fair, quite a few seemed to warm to it in the end.

It's such a fine set of novels that the film can only be seen as a tremendous disappointment. Sadly they killed any chance of a great adaptation taking place on film for a while. Of all the fantasy novels recently adapted for film - arguably including LOTR - there's a case for saying Phillip Pullman wrote the best. (Though the third novel was a letdown at times.)

markck wrote
    I wasn't familiar with the score to Compass before I saw the movie (or the reactions - I guess I wasn't paying attention at the time). It was fine for awhile, but it became cloying and overdone IMHO. Ok, everything is magical and mystical but did it require all that repeated overblown musical pomp? I got it after the first dozen locations and vehicles were presented.

Although I'm a big fan of the score, I do think there are moments when it doesn't 'rub up well' onscreen, and those big moments you describe are a good example. I feel like they're trying to tell me its epic, rather than feeling it's epic. Definitely a case where the director's instincts (asking for LAWRENCE OF ARABIA music) were questionable. It's fine on the CD, but in the film, probably not the best score those scenes could have had.

It would have been very interesting to hear what Christopher Gordon would have done for these films. He was very keen to get the job, and wooed the filmmakers years ago when they got going.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2008 edited
    Two recent viewings: equally good in many ways:

Eastern Promises (David Cronenberg): Wow! This movie is so realistic in its depiction of russian mafia members, I still have to convince myself that Viggo Mortensen and Vincent Cassell are not russian-born, nor do they likely commit murder on a daily basis. A little minimalist in its execution because except for one graphic scene, there's hardly any gruesome violence or totally insane character interaction, it's all very subdued and calm, very precise acting by all cast members. And if I hadn't known in advance Cronenberg directed this, I would never have guessed, it's so not his style, but I liked this film nevertheless...

There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson): Not as absorbing or stunning as Magnolia by Anderson, but one hell of a movie, because of long dialogue-filled shots, an intruiging story and one incredible performance by Mr. Daniel Day-Lewis. It never ceases to amaze how he can just get into his character to the point where he becomes him. He is truly one of the finest actors alive on the planet, period. His portrayal of a charismatic, yet troubled oil-prospector is reason alone to check out this one out.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    Eastern Promises (David Cronenberg): Wow! This movie is so realistic in its depiction of russian mafia members....

Is there something you haven't told us about your 'day job'? biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. I need a 'gun pointed to the head' smilie right about now...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    I need a 'gun pointed to the head' smilie right about now...

Pft, emo.