• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010
    I'd like to know too. I can't remember Scott using the Dvorak piece in any film.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010
    He used the piece in a 1973 commercial for Hovis brown bread, one of the most famous ever commercials in British TV history.

I'll see if I can find it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    He used the piece in a 1973 commercial for Hovis brown bread, one of the most famous ever commercials in British TV history.

And found easily.

Ridley Scott's Hovis Commercial

....which forever condemned that great music to be associated with "it's grim oop north", it became much parodied by comedians, sketch shows and the like. Anyone British and of a certain age will have this ingrained in they're conscious.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What did Ridley do? I love how Dvorak influenced film music. His Cello Concerto (first part) was the inspiration behind Goldsmith's theme to The 13th Warrior

I believe Dvorak's rich timbres are an influence on John Barry's work too.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

And found easily.

Ridley Scott's Hovis Commercial

....which forever condemned that great music to be associated with "it's grim oop north", it became much parodied by comedians, sketch shows and the like. Anyone British and of a certain age will have this ingrained in they're conscious.

Have you read the comments? Nice jab at Ridley in one of them:

"Ridley has since admitted that the boy is a replicant" lol

Great cinematography and use of music. It's the first time I've seen it! And I love Scott.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, great commercial! Living in Norway, I have never seen it before, so I saw it with fresh eyes. Music fitted wonderfully as a kinda sombre ordeal for the arduous journey up the hill, but then expands into more open harmonies towards the end, when it's all downhill and fresh-baked bread!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010 edited
    NP: CONVERTING VEGETARIANS (Infected Mushroom)

Fabulous Goa/psytrance album, with everything from hardcore house to funky stuff to chill to hip hop-inspired grooves. Also, check out the opening of this track; it's extremely powerful and film music-like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIWhcxSi … re=related

(it's actually called "Apagiffa Night", though)
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010
    NP : THE PLANETS - Gustav Holst

There's a reason why this work is one of the most popular classical pieces ever and that's because it's a work of genius and it IS BRILLIANT!

This version is Richard Hickox and the LSO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010
    No argument Tim
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010
    NP: Symphony No. 4 of Taneyev. This is a masterpiece of symphonies that isn't listened to all that often.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CANTUS ARCTICUS - Einojuhani Rautavaara

Moody, eerie and very atmospheric.....I love it cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    a good piece Tim which I also have in my collection
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010
    NP: Americans - John Barry

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010
    AHaving another listen to Taneyev's Symphony No. 4.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010
    • CommentAuthorTimmer

Very interesting Tom and a work and composer I'd never heard of. Good thing is this is cheap enough for me to pick up and find out for myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The key that I found for me and this work was the repeat listening of the fourth. The counterpoint is incredible. Even though he hated being called the Russian Brahms it is there in this work.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2010
    NP: Makara - ES Posthumus
    Some fun music but the mixing of some of the louder tracks is almost unlistenably abysmal. crazy
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2010
    NP: A very LONG album of various musics from the Beijing 2008 opening and closing ceremonies. A lot of it is real nice, but there's like 4 or 5 hours of it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010 edited
    NP: Cafe Del Mar albums & anything Balearic....

Great stuff to listen to while working.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010
    Scribe wrote
    NP: A very LONG album of various musics from the Beijing 2008 opening and closing ceremonies. A lot of it is real nice, but there's like 4 or 5 hours of it!

Heard that album and was not impressed. But then I was looking for the Klaus Badelt compositions to compliment the Jeff Rona stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Makara - ES Posthumus
    Some fun music but the mixing of some of the louder tracks is almost unlistenably abysmal. crazy

I tend to mix that album together with Cartographer stuff and that combo invariably works much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    lp wrote
    Scribe wrote

Heard that album and was not impressed. But then I was looking for the Klaus Badelt compositions to compliment the Jeff Rona stuff.

Some of the songs are nice, if you like that sort of thing, which I do. I don't much care for the athlete's parade music. And I don't know where on earth I will ever find the Badelt compositions...been waiting for them to surface for a year and a half now!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I got a nice 2 CD set of adagio pieces from Naxos. It is very soothing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2010
    I'm listening to the soundtrack Alone by Dmitri Shostakovich. Wow is this one different. A lot of bassoon work.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010
    NP : THE RONNIE LAWS COLLECTION

Great jazz/funk album, sometimes a bit on the cheesy side but the great tracks more than make up for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/05/11/a … stakovich/

This could have been the selection of the year.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010
    A very good review Tom and very insightful regarding his dislike of composing film scores. One can only imagine what this Everest of 20th century music may have been capable of if released from his shackles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    A very good review Tom and very insightful regarding his dislike of composing film scores. One can only imagine what this Everest of 20th century music may have been capable of if released from his shackles.

Exactly Tim.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2010
    NP: The Religious Sound (iTunes playlist)

Yeah, I know....it includes lots of film music, but right now it's in the first section, which only has classical music. Right now is Vivaldi's wonderful "Stabat Mater". Very fitting today, being Ascension day and all (a national holiday in Norway).
    I am extremely serious.