• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2010
    enjoy your day of celebration
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010
    One of the more under appreciated symphonies is Howard Hanson's Second Symphony "Romantic" some of which was utilized in Alien. It is so vivid, melodic, and full of color I'm going to listen to it again.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    One of the more under appreciated symphonies is Howard Hanson's Second Symphony "Romantic" some of which was utilized in Alien. It is so vivid, melodic, and full of color I'm going to listen to it again.
    Thomas

It's a very fine work, Tom. It was hearing that in Alien that got me into Hanson's work, I have a 4 CD set which covers a lot of his music and I would recommend that film score fans would check it out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm thinking about a review. What recording do you have? Is there anyone else who has this fine work?
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's Volume I & II ( two seperate double CD sets ) on the DELOS label , Seattle Symphony conducted by Gerard Schwarz.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have this recording also. Someone has the Hanson conducted recording on Mercury, which is what I'm looking for.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I used to have that Tom, recorded onto tape from an LP I hired from the Library.

Do you know who conducted the version used in Alien?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Good question which I'm sure I can find the answer to
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Posted: Feb 21, 2010 - 12:32 AM
    By: miriguez (Member)

I was so glad to get my new complete score of Alien (Intrada). One reason was that the End Title on the LP was diferent from the Film. so i was hoping on getting the film cue. then i found out that the music used in the film was Howard Hanson's Symphony no. 2
    (The Romantic). god was i sad.
    having said that, where might someone find that 1967 recording with Charles Gerhardt conducting the RCA symphony orchestra which is what was used for the end title?

There is your answer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ahhhh! I remember now Tom, I also recorded that one from the Library.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010
    I was doing a bit of research on the second symphony of Hanson and I found out that the material they used in the closing credits of the film wasn't paid for and Hanson chose not to fight the matter. Was this a decision of Ridley Scott or is this totally false information.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/05/18/s … tichanson/

review of the hanson symphony
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Intriguing. I shall have to find this one out.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh, you should Martijn, it's a superb work and very accessable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Intriguing. I shall have to find this one out.

Hanson looked up to and considered Sibelius a master, one of the last of the really great 20th century romantic composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked Oooo, I love Sibelius.
    This should be good. lick
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Tom, how does this Delos release compare with the Mercury Living Presence CD? I have the latter (as a result of its use in Alien) and an quite happy with that recording.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

Finale is better.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

Finale is better.

The music program? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010 edited
    ">biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010
    ^
    Not very helpful D.

Are you interested in Howard Hanson?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HUNTING HIGH AND LOW (a-ha)

The legendary Norwegian band is currently playing their global Farewell tour, so it's fitting to play some a-ha albums now and then. I'm a huge fan anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. The song "Hunting High and Low" is my favourite a-ha song - and their James Bond song to The Living Daylights is not too bad either!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

The legendary Norwegian band is currently playing their global Farewell tour, so it's fitting to play some a-ha albums now and then. I'm a huge fan anyway.

A fine band, beware though Thor, I saw The Rolling Stones on their "farewell" tour in.....1982.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tom, how does this Delos release compare with the Mercury Living Presence CD? I have the latter (as a result of its use in Alien) and an quite happy with that recording.

From what I understand the Gerhardt recording was used in the Alien soundtrack. The Delos recording in my opinion is the best. The recording is bright, Schwarz understands the score, and it is well played. The Hanson recording is also good but remember it was recorded in 1958.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

A fine band, beware though Thor, I saw The Rolling Stones on their "farewell" tour in.....1982.

I love A-Ha, one of the best pop bands that ever came out of the sometimes very cheesy 80s. Their music still sounds fresh today. I only have their compilation album 'Headlines and Deadlines' but needless to say it's one of my most-played CDs. Love each one of those tunes. 'Train of Thought' is probably my favourite of them all, as it's so full of energy and features a brilliant chorus. Morten Harkett's (name?) voice is so full of emotion I always feel completely taken away by that song. punk

Good to hear they're still performing.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CONCERTO DE ARANJUEZ - Joaquin Rodrigo

John Williams ( guitarist ) and the English Chamber Orchestra.

One of the most heart tugging works you could ever hear, beyond words beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote

One of the most heart tugging works you could ever hear, beyond words beautiful.

I'll have to look for this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'll have to look for this.

Do you know the work lp? It really is stunning, look for it as soon as.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010
    not familiar either. Should look into it