• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010 edited
    NP : SYMPHONY # 7 'LENINGRAD' - Dmitri Shostakovitch

Truly an awesome work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anyone come across the Dutch "gothic rock" band Within Temptation?

I came across some of their tracks and I have to admit I rather like them (I feel slightly guilty somehow.) A bit of a mix between in-your-face trailer music and the vocals from All About Eve (the band not the film.)

Ugh.
    UGH!
    vomit

Screeching semi-operatics mixed in with death metal burling.
    The best thing Within Temptation managed is to inspire a whole host of delectable teenagers to dress up as pluckable Gothettes. lick

Mind you, lead singer Sharon den Adel is nothing to sneeze at either! love

Love Within Temptation but then, I've been accused of having no taste whatsoever.

Anyway! Symphonic metal rocks ! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    revisiting an old friend: Mr. Mister with Welcome to the Real World

fun nostalgic 80's pop cool

Great great album dood!

Give 'Go On' a spin too, their follow-up album, it's not as instantly satisfying but there are some great pop tunes in there, and more in depth song-writing and heartfelt singing. I love it but it took me a couple of listens.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Love Within Temptation but then, I've been accused of having no taste whatsoever.

punk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010 edited
    NP: Trionfo di Afrodite - Carl Orff

My first listen to this effort from Orff. Apparently it's the third in the triptych of works (that begins with Carmina Burana). And I like what I'm hearing. [Edit: I much prefer the passages with full chorus rather than the soloists.]

BTW, Tim will know why I'm listening to this! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

punk

Just to clarify: you agree with the first or the second part?
  5. Both!

I enjoy what I've (mostly) heard for Within Temptation. And I have been accused of having no taste whatsoever. The latter has been laid at my door as long as I can remember - and seems to be linked with my adoption of film music as my listening genre of choice.
  6. Awesome to learn that Alan !!! I'd never have figured you for someone who listens to WT. cool

Remember to fans of mainstream popflop, hiphopshit and rapcrap, we have no taste in music. But I really have not the slightest problem with that. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Awesome to learn that Alan !!! I'd never have figured you for someone who listens to WT. cool

Remember to fans of mainstream popflop, hiphopshit and rapcrap, we have no taste in music. But I really have not the slightest problem with that. wink

I actually like some rap and hip hop, mostly old-school stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. And I like 80s new wave pop. Old-school is good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010
    dizzy

Now if you'd have said Guns 'n Roses...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Appetite for Destruction punk
    Use Your Illusion I & II punk

But Chinese Democracy vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    But Chinese Democracy vomit

Ah, but that's GNRINO.
    (Guns 'n Roses In Name Only...a.k.a. Axl's ultimate meltdown. The guy should really drift off into well-deserved oblivion now)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Axl's Ultimate Meltdown. How's that for an inspired band name? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This is material I fear I'll never get into
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sure ya can, Thomas. Deep within you is an old rocker, I'm sure of it. wink
  10. Fire Water Paper: A Vietnam Oratorio Goldenthal

My first listen to this and I'm loving it, not at all what expected and very accessible. In turns eerie, beautiful, bizarre, haunting and downright epic. Great stuff!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2010
    Hiya John, enjoying the weather? cool

Good play you've discovered there too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Goldenthal? And accessible? shocked

Want.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Gilles, if you don't normally think Goldenthal is accessable then stay away from 'Vietnam'.
  12. What I wanted to know does it have clear melodies? I don't mind Goldenthal's dissonant style at all, but I have to know if there's some cohesive structure to it all like in say, Alien 3, Titus or even In Dreams?
  13. Hi Tim, it is rather nice here in Bristol today isn't it!

Suite from Memoirs of a Geisha for Cello and Orchestra Williams

Hmmm, should this be in this thread or the regular now playing, hard to know! Anyway this is very short at only 28 mins but it has some wonderful arrangements of some of my favourite music from the last decade. Shame there's no arrangement of "Confluence" on there but the Cello counterpoint to the violin in this arrangement of "The Chairman's Waltz" is terrific.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Gilles, if you don't normally think Goldenthal is accessable then stay away from 'Vietnam'.

yeah
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ITAIPU - Philip Glass

AWESOME!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Such an excellent choice!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Such an excellent choice!

Isn't it just! beer

This is the Essa-Pekka Salonen recording, I actually prefer Robert Shaw's performance but the recording ( on SONY ) is so bad it sounds like a bad bootleg, the Salonen is very vibrant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Goldenthal's oratorio is quite challenging, but really peanuts compared to, say, his brass quintet. It's large and foreboding, achingly beautiful and harrowing at the same time. Except for OTHELLO, which is probably his most film music-like concert work, I think it's more accesible (or at least less esoteric) than JUAN DARIEN, THE GREEN BIRD and the previously mentioned brass quintet - the only other non-film music work of Goldenthal that has been recorded and released.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. I hope Grendel will get a release soon.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I hope Grendel will get a release soon.

Me too. I have some clips from this (through crappy bootleg sources) and it's really intriguing, even though I've never been a big opera fan. Lots of trademark Goldenthalisms there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2010
    I revisited Brazillian Impressions from Respighi. A wonderful work.
    listen to more classical music!