• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2010
    NP : THE SENSUAL WORLD - Kate Bush

love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Judy Garland's The Man That Got Away. Powerful voice.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Classic music hall singer.
    I never much liked her style: too much focused on volume and too little on nuances.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2010
    My musical selection this morning is an early work of Alexander Glazunov called Fantasy: The Sea, Op. 28. The work was not very well received by his peers or by the general public. In my head he tells the story of the changes a sea can go through; it begins calm and peaceful as the sun rises to a gentle rocking of the water. As the day progresses, the wind rears its ugly head and a violent storm erupts showing the intensity of mother nature. It passes and returns to a brightly lit calm body of water, birds chirping, nature at peace with itself. Glazunov had the ability to show his emotional feelings through beautiful orchestrating and melody. Perhaps he was also telling the story of life?
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010
    NP : L.A. WOMAN - The Doors

I likes cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    ELIZABETHTOWN (Cameron Crowe)
    Crowe has a wonderful knack for unknown yet delightful bands, or lesser known works by great artists (Elton John, My Father's Gun is fantastic). Great compilation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    BobdH wrote
    (Elton John, My Father's Gun is fantastic).

From Tumbleweed Connection, his finest album IMO.
  1. sdtom wrote
    My musical selection this morning is an early work of Alexander Glazunov called Fantasy: The Sea, Op. 28. The work was not very well received by his peers or by the general public. In my head he tells the story of the changes a sea can go through; it begins calm and peaceful as the sun rises to a gentle rocking of the water. As the day progresses, the wind rears its ugly head and a violent storm erupts showing the intensity of mother nature. It passes and returns to a brightly lit calm body of water, birds chirping, nature at peace with itself. Glazunov had the ability to show his emotional feelings through beautiful orchestrating and melody. Perhaps he was also telling the story of life?
    Thomas

I would like to hear this. Sounds beautiful.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Timmer wrote

I likes cool

cheesy

They sure made some tunes that are forever immortalized. I've always loved their style, though I only have a greatest hits compilation, and a small one at that.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Speaking of The Doors, I have a solo album by Robbie Krieger that sucks big time (NO HABLA). Anyone want it? (yeah, I know, not the best sales pitch!).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

I likes cool

How's it like?I know Doors are gods out there but never quite had the opportunity to listen to them extensively.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    I know Doors are gods out there but never quite had the opportunity to listen to them extensively.

Just four words: 'Riders On The Storm'.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know that. smile But what about their lessers known songs? What other band sounds like them, in style?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    I know that. smile But what about their lessers known songs? What other band sounds like them, in style?

Early Pink Floyd, for example. Although The Doors doesn't have as long instrumental parts.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Damn, you said the right words. PINK FLOYD.

Which DOORS albums would you recommend to someone who loves early Pink Floyd?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote

What early Pink Floyd are you thinking of post or pre Syd Barrett?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    Classic music hall singer.
    I never much liked her style: too much focused on volume and too little on nuances.

I liked The Man That Got Away
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    franz_conrad wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

I would like to hear this. Sounds beautiful.

It is available from Naxos
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Ah, could you please enlighten me a bit with album titles instead of band members?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Pink Floyd and The Doors?
    Hm.
    The only link I could establish there is a history of substance abuse which very clearly shines through in the music, which can be quite psychedelic.
    Oh, and I generally can't stand either band (although both have created one or two tunes I do like).

The problem with The Doors is that they are really inconsistent style-wise, which makes it bloody impossible to liken them to any band. I can pretty much guarantuee you there'll be as many songs you can't stand as you will love.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Ah, could you please enlighten me a bit with album titles instead of band members?

Early Floyd feayuring Syd Barrett-

Piper At The Gates of Dawn
    A Saucer Full of Secrets

Barrett, departs, Dave Gilmour in-

Ummagumma
    Atom Heart Mother
    Meddle
    Dark Side of The Moon - I suspect you're familiar from this point on??
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, the 2nd era you mentioned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This morning my selection is West Side Story from Leonard Bernstein. Completely overlooked by Alan and his thread music through the ages this is quite a work. Bernstein, North, and Copland had some very similiar ideas if one has never picked up on that. Bernstein only did the one score for Hollywood, found the industry so distasteful he never returned. This was a broadway play that was made into a movie. Even the cover art for the album is an instantly recognizable trademark identifying it immediately.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010 edited
    edit
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn you really owe it to yourself to have a listen to The Man That Got Away. She is a lot more than a powerful voice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Early Floyd feayuring Syd Barrett-

Piper At The Gates of Dawn
    A Saucer Full of Secrets

Barrett, departs, Dave Gilmour in-

Ummagumma
    Atom Heart Mother
    Meddle
    Dark Side of The Moon - I suspect you're familiar from this point on??

Yeah, I would put The Doors (the "Riders of the Storm" sound) inbetween the Barrett to Gilmour crossover, i.e. SAUCERFUL, UMMAGUMMA and ATOM HEART MOTHER.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010
    Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP : Rimsky Korsakov~ Scheherazade

Wonderful!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It is, isn't it?
    My favourite of his. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I can listen to it for hours! love
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...