• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010
    sdtom wrote
    not familiar either. Should look into it

Now that REALLY shocked me! shocked

I always thought it was a reasonably popular work!? Anyway Tom, please do look into it, I believe you'll be in for a lovely surprise, it's such a gorgeous work and is also a favourite piece of our very own Martijn.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NOT
    FAMILIAR?
    shocked

It's the single most influential neo-Romantic musical work come out of Spain.
    It is extremely well known, and I would be greatly surprised if you didn't recognise parts of it (especially the second part, the Adagio), knowing it without realising that you did.

I cannot recommend this work highly enough.
    It is my very favourite classical work in history, and its power never fails to move me to tears.
    It is rhythmic -as SPanish work should be-, powerful, proud, passionate beyond the ability of words to describe. It is a feeling. It invokes and provokes all your senses. It exudes such joy, and then such utter grief. It resolves in an upbeat fashion, extremely satisfactory and emotional.
    Well, it leaves me drained every time I listen to it. That's the range of the gamut of emotions it addresses.

It's excellent.
    Musical perfection.
    And there is not one single word in any of the above I'd describe as hyperbole.

Amazing to realise that Rodrigo himself was never able to play the guitar! shocked

I would, if you could, try and get hold of one of the recordings by conductor Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos. He has the most wonderful lyrical take on the work.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    a favourite piece of our very own Martijn.

I'd say! smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    NOT
    FAMILIAR?
    shocked
    I would, if you could, try and get hold of one of the recordings by conductor Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos. He has the most wonderful lyrical take on the work.

Sold.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I retract that statement. I have a recording of it albiet an lp. Haven't listened to it in a long while.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CONCERTO DE ARANJUEZ - Joaquin Rodrigo

John Williams ( guitarist ) and the English Chamber Orchestra.

One of the most heart tugging works you could ever hear, beyond words beautiful.

I'll have to look for this.

Do you know the work lp? It really is stunning, look for it as soon as.

It's the first time I've heard of this composer's name. Though I've no doubt heard of a few composition of his.

I'm currently enjoying David Russell's new album "Aire Latino (Latin Music For Guitar)" . You might like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not the same league, mate. Not by a long shot. smile

(Oh, and just to avoid any disappointment or confusion: latin music is quite different from Spanish music!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote
    Not the same league, mate. Not by a long shot. smile

(Oh, and just to avoid any disappointment or confusion: latin music is quite different from Spanish music!)

I enjoy them the same. kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    i don't know it either :shrug:
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010
    Christodoulides wrote

Go listen to it....you'll soon lose that :shrug:
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Listening to a new Hovhaness CD. His symphonies Nos 7,14, and 23. Quite good.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yup. Dismiss this one so easily is very akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    You're just doing a disservice to yourself. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I spent the last few hours with ice cold drinks lounging in the garden reading a book and listening to music, and with Gomez contentedly snoozing under a bush. cool

Played...

AERIAL - Kate Bush

WHEN IT FALLS - Zero 7

WORD OF MOUTH - Jaco Pastorius

Pure bliss! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anyone familiar with a rock band named MY MORNING JACKET?

They were featured in american dad season 5 episode 7 and i really liked what i heard.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yup. Dismiss this one so easily is very akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    You're just doing a disservice to yourself. smile

Well?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, i knew it. This piece, it's a very well known one. But i forgot how it was titled. Yeap, masterpiece of the genre for sure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ah, i knew it. This piece, it's a very well known one. But i forgot how it was titled. Yeap, masterpiece of the genre for sure.

Old chinese proverb say man not read board properly and make mistake will get beating up using kung fu.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010
    Timmer wrote
    I spent the last few hours with ice cold drinks lounging in the garden reading a book and listening to music, and with Gomez contentedly snoozing under a bush. cool

Played...

AERIAL - Kate Bush

WHEN IT FALLS - Zero 7

Pure bliss! cool

Almost a repeat of yesterday complete with Gomez sunning himself in the same spot. cool

Except I played...

SYMPHONY # 3 'Pastoral' - Ralph Vaughan Williams

THE LARK ASCENDING - Ralph Vaughan Williams

LA MER - Claude Debussy

MYSTERIOUS MOUNTAIN - Alan Hovhaness

That's a good couple of hours spent in heaven.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010
    NP : SOLID AIR - John Martyn

This is one of my all time favourite albums, it's gorgeous.

Anyone else familiar with it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010 edited
    Never heard of it?

EDIT:

Just listened to samples and I'm almost 100% sure I've heard my dad playing this. I'll have to ask him about it. Sounds very familiar. Like it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010 edited
    Played...

AERIAL - Kate Bush

WHEN IT FALLS - Zero 7

Pure bliss! cool

Almost a repeat of yesterday complete with Gomez sunning himself in the same spot. cool

Except I played...

LA MER - Claude Debussy

He, he...those are some familiar faces from your neck of the woods, Tim! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010
    Thor wrote
    Played...

AERIAL - Kate Bush

WHEN IT FALLS - Zero 7

Pure bliss! cool

Except I played...

LA MER - Claude Debussy

He, he...those are some familiar faces from your neck of the woods, Tim! smile

FACT! biggrin beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Never heard of it?

EDIT:

Just listened to samples and I'm almost 100% sure I've heard my dad playing this. I'll have to ask him about it. Sounds very familiar. Like it too.

Check it out, it's a fantastic album.

Also, I've never known a woman who didn't fall in love with this album, I think guys should keep it on stand-by on thier shelves just in case, even if they don't like it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Red Pony from Copland
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010 edited
    Memphis Underground - Herbie Mann

This pop-jazz fusion album from flute player Mann from 1969 is a fantastic treat to the cool funk-jazz lovers out there.

The title track -unavailable on YouTube, sadly. I would have loved to share it- is phenomenally memorable and likeable, and things only get better from there with some toe-tapping, finger-clicking renditions of New Orleans and Chain Of Fools. The cover of Sam & Dave's soul classic Hold On, I'm Coming is a real foot-stomper and to me outshines the original!
    Wonderful, very clever, highly infectious music, played by instrumentalists at the top of their game.

Too bad the set ends with a rather so-so jazz-funk rendition of Battle Hymn Of The Republic.
    It's a bit lazy in its arrangement, and the execution is far from inspired. Lalo Schifrin a couple of years later did this way more effectively!

Nevertheless a gold album. Absolutely gold!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010
    ^
    Your cool rating has gone sky high with me, excellent choice of play beer punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010
    I agree with the Memphis Underground comments
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010
    The Screen Behind The Mirror - Enigma (1999)

French ambient artist Enigma updates his very recognisable sound from his landmark MCMXC a.D. album for a new decade, but the rather lame insistence on using Orff's Carmina Burana as a sample hook is less than inspired (not to say tacky).

On the plus side, it's sans Gregorian chants., and the updated electronics [i]do[/i[] include a way better drum kit patch than whatever he was using before. Other than that it's really more of the same loungey, ambient inoffensive material we've come to know from him.

The best thing about it is that its slightly estranging, melancholy sound perfectly fits my slightly estranged, melancholy mood. smile