• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Sigourney Weaver dies. And there's emotional music. As for Titanic, Leo's dying was a relief for me! That annoying prick!

Cheers mate! slant rolleyes

That'll teach me for reading this thread. angry

But it's perhaps not as bad as [spoiler]Michelle Rodriguez getting killed.[/spoiler] sad

Yeah, but what a way to go out! And she looked fine with that war paint on.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think Leo is a great actor, he's certainly become much more believable since he's lost his baby face looks.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    I think Leo is a great actor, he's certainly become much more believable since he's lost his baby face looks.

And to think he was already believable in his baby face years. A great performance in that one IMO, he doesn't disappoint against the behemoth that is De Niro.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

And to think he was already believable in his baby face years. A great performance in that one IMO, he doesn't disappoint against the behemoth that is De Niro.

I agree, that is a great film too Gilles.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Sunil wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    But Sunil says Avatar wasn't a success 'cause it didn't touch people's hearts.

Yes, i stick to my comment very firmly. Avatar didn't touch people's hearts as like Titanic. If you say Titanic is a great film, i will agree, but not Avatar.

I agree with you on this one Sunil. Or at least I see your point. I mean I do think Avatar is a great movie (maybe it´s too soon for everybody to appreciate it), but not as great or touching as Titanic was / is. Titanic wasn´t the most original story ever (neither is Avatar) but it had something (maybe the sum of all of its elements: production design, performances, photography, music, the charm of the ship, a universal love story, etc) that made it a movie one step above Avatar (which is a colder movie IMO). Using your words, I agree, Titanic touched me in a way Avatar didn´t. That said, after watching Avatar twice I can say it gets better in a second viewing, where you already know what happens and can focus on discovering new things about the movie, and trust me, there´s plenty of them.

You have posted more effortlessly what I wanted to say. beer

Titanic gets me crying each and every time. I'm a wimp! Love the characters of Jack & Rose too, played in such a heartbreaking manner by the two leads. Yep, definitely a wimp! cry shame

In all fairness, the most heartbreaking aspect of the whole movie is the ship of dreams coming to its fateful end the way it does, and Cameron went all the way to show that end it in the most stunning and horrible detail. Avatar is just not as good as that, because it didn't touch me in the same way, but that's understandable as they're entirely different films. Avatar has other good points though that make it nearly as good.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    But it's perhaps not as bad as [spoiler]Michelle Rodriguez getting killed.[/spoiler] sad

Yeah, but what a way to go out! And she looked fine with that war paint on.

Oooooooo yeah... wave moon
  2. Sunil wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

ok! you guys are amazed just because you all have seen in 3D, but did anybody here have seen this movie in 2D version?

I've seen it in 2D, was a thrill ride no matter what smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sunil wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

ok! you guys are amazed just because you all have seen in 3D, but did anybody here have seen this movie in 2D version?

First of all, you're wrong.

Second of all, I personally was impressed by various aspects of the film: first and foremost, the visual effects; the sound effects; the music (even though it was mixed far too low in the soundtrack); the design of the Pandora world and the human tech; and finally the simple fact it was a great cinema experience. The 3D was certainly the first thing that impressed me, but the movie had many other strengths going for it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010
    Timmer wrote

True, like DEPARTED for instance. But he got better only after Titanic; a film in which i only wanted him dead from frame 2 of his appearance wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010 edited
    Have any of you seen WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE, A BOYS LIFE or BASKETBALL DIARIES? All fantastic pre-Titanic roles and one was an Academy Award nominated performance. This guy has been on the mark since day one. From the looks of things around here he is an underrated and under appreciated actor. As for Titanic... I thought he did a great job. I wasn't annoyed by him whatsoever.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I saw A BOYS LIFE and BASKETBALL DIARIES, he was good but not great. He had an upcoming quality in his acting for sure, but not mature enough yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    I saw A BOYS LIFE and BASKETBALL DIARIES, he was good but not great. He had an upcoming quality in his acting for sure, but not mature enough yet.

BASKETBALL DIARIES not mature enough?! Uh-huh.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Have any of you seen WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE, A BOYS LIFE or BASKETBALL DIARIES? All fantastic pre-Titanic roles and one was an Academy Award nominated performance. This guy has been on the mark since day one. From the looks of things around here he is an underrated and under appreciated actor. As for Titanic... I thought he did a great job. I wasn't annoyed by him whatsoever.

-Erik-

Agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Agree.

Agree 2.

Although I do think he's been miscast on a few occasions, such as THE AVIATOR, THE DEPARTED, BODY OF LIES.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Agreed. All this conversation started from a little barb by me about Titanic but that wasn't directed at him, just his character. (I do agree with Thor about him being miscast on occasion though - though not necessarily the specific films he mentioned, other than Body of Lies.)
  3. I agree with Southall. There's nothing wrong with DiCaprio's performance in TITANIC. There's not anything wrong with Billy Zane's for that matter. It's just that they're written so poorly, such thin contrivances of characters that a good performance doesn't make them watchable.

As for DiCaprio miscast... I'm not so sure about THE AVIATOR, although he wouldn't be my first choice at all for the role. GANGS OF NEW YORK is one in which he didn't seem well cast, same with the aforemntioned BODY OF LIES.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I join the Club of the Agrees.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010
    Timmer wrote

I completely agree. Apart from Titanic, his most unforgettable movies are Blood Diamond, The Departed, Aviator, Body of Lies and Catch me if you can.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Christodoulides wrote

He has already proved as an matured actor in the movie Blood Diamond. Have you not seen that movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Steven wrote

but the movie had many other strengths going for it too.

Tell me, what are the strengths in that movie? perhaps you will say film's greatest strength is Visual Effects, is that enough?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sunil wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

He has already proved as an matured actor in the movie Blood Diamond. Have you not seen that movie?

I've seen it but he has far better performances than that. And James Newton Howard has way more inspired scores than that wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Christodoulides wrote

I've seen it but he has far better performances than that. And James Newton Howard has way more inspired scores than that wink

Oh! then you are certainly agree that Caprio is indeed matured actor. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I never said the contrary. It's his TITANIC character and over the top performance that makes me want to throw bricks on the TV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I never said the contrary. It's his TITANIC character and over the top performance that makes me want to throw bricks on the TV.

Come on, Demetris! for that you can't blame him. Is he responsible for poor casting? However, Cameron managed to get some good acting skills from Di Caprio. I certainly appreciate that. And that was huge turning point in Di Caprio's career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What do you mean poor casting? They cast him. The character is awfully written but he made it even worse. Anyway my main problem is with Titanic, the film itself, so there's no point in discussing this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sunil wrote
    Steven wrote

but the movie had many other strengths going for it too.

Tell me, what are the strengths in that movie? perhaps you will say film's greatest strength is Visual Effects, is that enough?

In case you missed it:

Steven wrote
    Sunil wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

First of all, you're wrong.

Second of all, I personally was impressed by various aspects of the film: first and foremost, the visual effects; the sound effects; the music (even though it was mixed far too low in the soundtrack); the design of the Pandora world and the human tech; and finally the simple fact it was a great cinema experience. The 3D was certainly the first thing that impressed me, but the movie had many other strengths going for it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2010
    Download the original AVATAR script as Cameron wrote it 3 years ago. I wouldn't know why you'd want to do that, but still...

http://www.foxscreenings.com/media/pdf/ … AVATAR.pdf
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    Avatar got 6 awards (not best film nor best director though) at The 15th Annual Critics' Choice Awards
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Avatar won Golden Globe: best director , best movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Very deserving so.