• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010
    Talos wrote
    I saw the movie recently and I like it a lot. However, most of the score is buried under the soundeffects... or was simply not too obvious because I only "heard" it when familiar themes popped up. (Glory)

Yeah... the music mix was piss poor, IMHO. But then again, Rhodes' recording of the score isn't anything to write home about either!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I think it has the prospect to reach the levels of quality of the LOTR trilogy, in all aspects.

the only question is, what will he bring of story? I mean what kind of direction can he go with? More people invading Pandora? nope, that's the first film

Very interested to see where this will be going

As long as it's pure blockbuster movies and not more documentaries, he can make as much Avatar's as he wants

I think this movie might be a clue for Avatar's sequel.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Steven wrote
    Blood hell. That's going be an expensive trilogy!

don't worry, all that invested money will find its way back to James smile
    no trouble at all

Of course, not to you. biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I think it has the prospect to reach the levels of quality of the LOTR trilogy, in all aspects.

Totally disagree. No offense. I totally disagree with your point of view on this one. LOTR trilogy was masterpiece but Avatar is not at all masterpiece. I really can't understand how come people could compare LOTR with Avatar. Avatar is nowhere near to LOTR. LOTR has good story, characterization, music, excellent acting by actors etc but in Avatar, just visual effects and nothing else was there. Very poor script, score and characterization and moreover, all the actors performances were pathetic. This movie Avatar might have become huge box office success but it has not succeeded to win millions of hearts around the world. You ask anyone in the world, they would say that they might have quite astonished by the movie Avatar just because of visual effects that, too, watching through it in 3D but if you ask anyone how about the movie overall, they would say not good.

Peter Jackson showed the world how a fantasy film should be made. In fact, James Cameron himself admitted he was impressed and inspired by Peter Jackson's LOTR. Oh! James, your failed to make your Avatar as a masterpiece.

Have a nice day!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LOTR trilogy had its flaws too, same as Avatar and most movies ever made, really. It's always hard for me to stay serious when i see movies being God-ified like this.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Christodoulides wrote
    LOTR trilogy had its flaws too, same as Avatar and most movies ever made, really. It's always hard for me to stay serious when i see movies being God-ified like this.

Who is godifying here? I don't think nobody does that here. The only thing is you can't expect the quality from Avatar trilogy as were in LOTR. In fact, LOTR movie was merely based on J.R.R.Tolkien's book. See, my point is LOTR is timeless classic, but i don't think Avatar will be or is timeless classic. Of course, Avatar will be certainly remembered for its technical aspect but not as the movie whole. Somehow, i am pleased with the movie Avatar for being a decent Sci-fi action movie, Thank God! it wasn't like Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skull. Godawful! In this case, Avatar is far far better than Indy 4.

However, i have booked my ticket to see Avatar in 3D. I am going on 14th January. Let me see...... wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sunil wrote
    This movie Avatar might have become huge box office success but it has not succeeded to win millions of hearts around the world.

???

Doesn't one necessarily follow the other?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Thor wrote
    Sunil wrote
    This movie Avatar might have become huge box office success but it has not succeeded to win millions of hearts around the world.

???

I am sorry. I don't get your point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sunil wrote
    Thor wrote
    Sunil wrote

???

I am sorry. I don't get your point.

I mean, if it's a box office success, doesn't that automatically mean that it has succeeded in winning "millions of hearts around the world"?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Thor wrote

I mean, if it's a box office success, doesn't that automatically mean that it has succeeded in winning "millions of hearts around the world"?

Certainly, not necessarily. In fact, you can't judge a film's quality based on its box office performance. For e.g take Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, it was huge box office success, but did you personally liked that movie? or any other people out there would say "I just adore this movie"? no, movie did brilliant at box office, but miserably failed to capture the hearts of audience. Many people are praying now for no more sequels. Do you know that?.

For your better understanding, take movies like Savior, Schindler's List which were not huge box office success, but those movies has certain quality. See, my point is if movie becomes success it doesn't mean that all the people liked that movie, there could be various reasons to become box office success. As far as Avatar concern, many people are astonished because of movie made in 3D and hype that surrounded the movie and Cameron returned after 13 years and you know, psychologically speaking, there are many people forcibly convince themselves to like the film even though if they really hate the film. This is the fact and human nature.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I think the box office numbers, the reviews and the general consensus prove that it has indeed "reached the hearts of millions of moviegoers". That doesn't necessarily mean that everyone likes it, of course, but if you're going to criticize it for something, it would have to be your own personal evaluation (and how it adhers to your taste), not that "many people didn't like it". You should speak for yourself, not the masses at large, especially when it comes to a smash hit like AVATAR.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wow, a psychology lesson from Sunil of all people.

My opinion of the movie is that it's a fantastic cinema-going experience. Not a masterpiece of emotion and storytelling, but certainly a spectacle worthy of much praise. (I don't think it will hold up quite as well for "home cinema", clearly, but it'll still be a very entertaining film without all the 3D effects.)
  1. franz_conrad wrote
    While I wouldn't resist an AVATAR sequel, now that (SPOILER) Jake has become one of them (END SPOILER), the story is over for me. I would love if Cameron turned his skills to a whole new palette and let AVATAR be the one standalone movie of the last 20 years that didn't really need a sequel.

Terminator was made, a couple of years later Terminator 2 was made even better.

Enough said.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's not Michael's point though: His point, and I agree with him, is that it would be more interesting to see Cameron turn his skills to a completely new project, regardless of whether or not he makes a superior sequel.

Avatar should be left to stand on its own, and I would much rather see a completely new set of ideas made into a film by Cameron than a sequel. It just doesn't need a sequel in my opinion.
  2. Yet the world that was created for Avatar just screams for a sequel IMHO. You have to agree that it's just too wonderful a universe to not do another one. It's like TLOTR was suddenly over after Fellowship, the world is just too imaginative and expansive to leave it locked inside one film.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yet the world that was created for Avatar just screams for a sequel IMHO. You have to agree that it's just too wonderful a universe to not do another one. It's like TLOTR was suddenly over after Fellowship, the world is just too imaginative and expansive to leave it locked inside one film.

I agree. I'd love to see other Cameron projects too, but I fear that if he ups his production schedule too much, it will come at the cost of his quality. There's a reason for why he hasn't been very prolific and why the few films he's made have been as successful as they have.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think Cameron already did a pretty good job of exploring the world in Avatar. It's a big forest with lots of creatures - we saw all of that in the film. As far as the comparisons to Lord of the Rings goes, the Lord of the Rings was specifically designed to be a trilogy and The Fellowship of the Ring was the first act. Avatar can exist on its own without any problem.

It's all a matter of opinion really, and I wouldn't complain if Avatar got a sequel... I'd just rather see Cameron do something else. (Though, if that MTV interview is anything to go by, he probably won't.)
  3. Steven wrote
    As far as the comparisons to Lord of the Rings goes, the Lord of the Rings was specifically designed to be a trilogy and The Fellowship of the Ring was the first act. Avatar can exist on its own without any problem.

Can you really say wether Cameron didn't set this up as a trilogy? It's very likely that was his plan all along, but decided to make the first movie feel closed off, in case it didn't catch on.

TLOTR was already widely known as a three-book story made into a three-part film, it already had a following where Avatar was just totally new. Maybe Avatar is just the start of something equally bigger.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Whether he did or not doesn't matter and, again, is not mine or Michael's point: The Fellowship of the Ring was specifically written as the first act of a larger whole. Avatar could be the first act, sure, but it works just fine as a one-off. Fellowship, on the other hand, leaves too many loose ends to work as a single film.

In fact, you could say that about any film. You could say that Inglourious Basterds was written with a trilogy in mind, but that doesn't make the film any less worthy as a stand-alone story.
  4. I guess some comparisons can be made to The Matrix: the first one felt like a stand-alone story, well rounded and with a riveting climax, however the sequels, though inferior expanded on the mythology of the first and so I'm very happy Reloaded and Revolutions got made. It provided us more of that awesome universe to delve into.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If those sequels are anything to go by, then I really do hope Cameron stays well away from making a sequel! tongue

The only thing I'm happy we got from the Matrix sequels is the music.
  5. I think the movie screams for a sequel, because in the end, the humans got their asses kicked, but there is still a lot of money in Pandora´s precious soil. That´s one of the bigger questions that remains: If Earth really depends so much on this kind of stuff, it´s just a matter of time before someone gets the idea to develop a cost-effective solution (aka bioweapons). I am afraid the Na'vi just won one of many future fights.

On the other hand I´m not interested in seeing more of the same. And I don´t think we will. Pandora is a whole new world. There must be a lot more going on there than what we´ve seen so far. I expect to see a nice planet-bound storyline for the sequel, maybe about some kind of ancient mystery or a natural phenomenon causing problems. Part 3 could then be about the humans´ return, given Cameron has a quite different storyline for some kind of final battle in his pockets.
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    While I wouldn't resist an AVATAR sequel, now that (SPOILER) Jake has become one of them (END SPOILER), the story is over for me. I would love if Cameron turned his skills to a whole new palette and let AVATAR be the one standalone movie of the last 20 years that didn't really need a sequel.

Terminator was made, a couple of years later Terminator 2 was made even better.

Enough said.

And I said the above. Enough said. I am sick of sequels as a fait accompli, and like the original MATRIX or PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, this doesn't seem to be a film that needs one.

It would be hard to come back and throw more money at this series, soften the bad guy (col quaritch), and center the whole thing on the child of Jake and Neytiri. (ie. the T2 approach wink )
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    That's not Michael's point though: His point, and I agree with him, is that it would be more interesting to see Cameron turn his skills to a completely new project, regardless of whether or not he makes a superior sequel.

Avatar should be left to stand on its own, and I would much rather see a completely new set of ideas made into a film by Cameron than a sequel. It just doesn't need a sequel in my opinion.

AVATAR might not need a sequel indeed, but clearly he needs the money, now that he's found the Hen with the golden eggs wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    Thor wrote
    Well, I think the box office numbers, the reviews and the general consensus prove that it has indeed "reached the hearts of millions of moviegoers". That doesn't necessarily mean that everyone likes it, of course, but if you're going to criticize it for something, it would have to be your own personal evaluation (and how it adhers to your taste), not that "many people didn't like it". You should speak for yourself, not the masses at large, especially when it comes to a smash hit like AVATAR.

No, i am not bringing my own personal evaluation. I was just answering to your question. In fact, you said if a movie becomes smash hit, then it should have been liked by everyone. My point was doesn't focus on box office success, for instance, take Steven Spielberg's Indy 4, which was huge success at box office, but the strange thing when i read or heard others opinion on the film, all they were saying just sucks. It was quite unbelievable. Isn't it? Film became huge hit and performed excellently at Box office but people opinion differs. That was my argument.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The problem with your argument though is that people DO love Avatar. Not serious movie-goers, perhaps (but even most of those who I know think it was a remarkable spectacle). Ordinary people, who only go to the cinema once or twice a year, love it in a way they haven't loved a film since Titanic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    The problem with your argument though is that people DO love Avatar. Not serious movie-goers, perhaps (but even most of those who I know think it was a remarkable spectacle). Ordinary people, who only go to the cinema once or twice a year, love it in a way they haven't loved a film since Titanic.

I've met several serious movie goers who also love Avatar. It echoes universally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010 edited
    Southall wrote

Same here. In my circles, it's liked ALMOST universally (there are always exceptions) by BOTH regular moviegoers AND cineastes/filmlovers that are usually into more arthouse stuff. And reviewers too!

Saying you don't like the film for whatever personal reason is fine. Saying that it didn't reach the hearts of millions, so it must therefore be bad, seems like a curious argument at best. Especially with a film such as AVATAR, which obviously did.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Bregt wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

the only question is, what will he bring of story? I mean what kind of direction can he go with? More people invading Pandora? nope, that's the first film

Very interested to see where this will be going

As long as it's pure blockbuster movies and not more documentaries, he can make as much Avatar's as he wants

I think this movie might be a clue for Avatar's sequel.

good one Bregt, good one tongue angry
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I read yesterday about circles of Avatar fanatics who have been depressed since it came out because they're disappointed with our world and are trying to find ways to cope with life away from Avatar.