• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I think you're right.

But I've not listened to Dragonslayer in years.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010
    BhelPuri wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think that it's good to have titles like Dragonslayer to listen to. I'll probably go for this one as it's good to have something challenging to listen to in your collection. Chances are that you're going to enjoy it at some point!!

Indeed! I'm guessing that people are already familiar with some of the music.
    Part of his score for 2001 made its way to Dragonslayer, isn't it?

Yes indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have enough North, and Dragonslayer was never one I could sink my teeth into anyway (although the film is one of the last fine magic & fantasy flicks from the eighties, with a fine dragon indeed!).

Good to see the score (re)released, though. I know it's a favourite to many.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think that it's good to have titles like Dragonslayer to listen to. I'll probably go for this one as it's good to have something challenging to listen to in your collection. Chances are that you're going to enjoy it at some point!!

See Martijn, there's hope for you and Rautavaara yet. biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sure!
    Although the chances are roughly comparable to those on successfully navigating a ship through an asteroid field...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    3,720 - 1
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    3,720 - 1

Now did you remember this or did you have to Google? I failed on this recall test.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010 edited
    I had to google. But I'll bet Steven's life that Martijn knows that quote exactly without any help. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's in fact approximately 3720 to 1, Captain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010
    DRAGONSLAYER: LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1128
    Music by Alex North
    Limited Edition of 3000 Units

NOW SHIPPING
    RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

ORDER “DRAGONSLAYER: LIMITED EDITION” March 23rd at www.lalalandrecords.com

Presenting the official CD release of Alex North’s (SPARTACUS, A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE, CLEOPATRA, BITE THE BULLET, PRIZZI’S HONOR) score to the 1981 Paramount Pictures and Walt Disney Productions feature film DRAGONSLAYER, starring Peter MacNicol and Caitlin Clarke and directed by Matthew Robbins. North’s masterful orchestral score harnesses all the pathos, danger and heart in this beloved fantasy epic, which continues to build a devoted following decades since its original release. Produced by Dan Goldwasser and remastered by Mike Matessino from a 3-track LCR master recording, this expanded limited edition release presents the correctly-titled cues in film order and includes Bonus Tracks. CD booklet features in-depth liner notes and track analysis by Jeff Bond. This is a limited edition of 3000 units.

TRACK LISTING:

01. Main Title (2:46)
    02. No Sorcerers – No Dragons (1:47)
    03. Ulrich's Death and Mourning / The Amulet (3:29)
    04. Forest Romp (1:32)
    05. Maiden's Sacrifice (4:25)
    06. Visions and Reflections / Hodge's Death (4:46)
    07. The Lair / Landslide (4:14)
    08. Galen Jailed / Galen's Escape* (2:20)
    09. Jacopus Blasted (2:25)
    10. Burning Village** (1:10)
    11. The Lance / The Lottery** (4:40)
    12. Galen's Search for the Amulet (1:09)
    13. Valerian's Dragon Scales (1:29)
    14. Still a Virgin (1: 57)
    15. Elspeth's Destiny / Tyrian – Galen Fight (3:12)
    16. 3 Darling Dragonettes / Triumphant Dragon (2:38)
    17. A Slight Skirmish (3:15)
    18. Dejection / Eclipse / Resurrection of Ulrich (5:27)
    19. Dragon Sore-ing (1:13)
    20. Destroy That Amulet! (2:46)
    21. 'Tis the Final Conflict** (4:13)
    22. Intro to End Credits / End Credits** (4:35)

TOTAL SCORE TIME: 65:43

BONUS TRACKS
    23. Dance Montage (2:53)
    24. A Slight Skirmish (alternate) (3:22)
    25. Main Title (original) (1:22) [with hidden bonus]

TOTAL BONUS TIME: 7:38
    * not used in film
    ** contains material not used in film

TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 73:24

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anyone know the running time of the LP box set? ( which I have but not at hand )
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    Dragonslayer is going to appeal to the listener who can also appreciate Prokofiev and the contributions he made to modern classical music.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  3. sdtom wrote
    Dragonslayer is going to appeal to the listener who can also appreciate Prokofiev and the contributions he made to modern classical music.
    Thomas

And even then it'll still be a difficult listen! I was listening to this the other day. It's a bit of an eye-opener compared with the "At The Movies" selection from Label X. Such a bold step to put this score with a Disney (and Paramount) film back when scores such as Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of The Lost Ark were being produced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Not my cuppa tea, I'm afraid. I'm not really keen on North in that mode.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Which Prokofiev is that then Tom?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think the Russian one?

My coats...let me get it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010
    Can anyone who's survived Dragonslayer advise on the best way to get into this score? There's obviously so much rich North-ism in there but it is SO hard. I remember watching this movie as a teenager and despising the score. Now I'm obviously willing to give its reputation some credit, but I still don't find myself excited in the least when I'm about to pop it into the player...
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  4. HeeroJF wrote
    Can anyone who's survived Dragonslayer advise on the best way to get into this score?

Before you start, tell yourself that you're a dedicated film music listener, listening to one of the film music composer greats. Then just grit your teeth and start listening. Note the tracks that are the most listenable and make your own playlist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010
    Also have copious amounts of tawny port before and during listening.

It won't help.
    But I love tawny port.
  5. I thought that you were off to bed? angry wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Somehow I can't seem to get out of this chair.
    I fear gremlins have sprayed it with superglue.

Now if only all those godferschlugginer pixies would stop buzzing around me, maybe I could concentrate enough to kill that pink elephant blocking my door.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If one appreciates Prokofiev one can enjoy Dragonslayer
  6. Martijn, step away from the computer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I would appreciate a Prokofievslayer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn, step away from the computer!

Damn. sad Too late.
    I posted again. shame Sorry.

But I'm having a whale of a time. smile

Evlen though I'm likely the only one.
  7. Does anyone live close-by to Martijn? He needs to take a break.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    <grandpa Simpson> Hello? HELLO? I'm still HERE! I can SEE what you're WRITING!
  8. Now you're talking gibberish!!

At least it sounds like it to someone who doesn't watch The Simpsons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Whale of a Tale was sung by Kirk Douglas in 20,000 Leagues