• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    I'm happy for you

biggrin beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    I'm happy for you

I don't. I just feel sorry for him. wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm sure it will sell well. Varese is good about planning things out carefully
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I'm happy for you

I don't. I just feel sorry for him. wink

Ah, Norwegian pity.
    And American irony.
    So rarely do they travel together.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I purchased the Bernstein Box. I didn't go for the Blue Box, or many of the subsequent boxes.

Not really the same, though, is it?
    These boxes contained six to thirteen scores.
    This is one score.

(when you're not a fan of the Williams SUPERMAN theme, that Blue Box was more like one never-ending score...)

When I think about it, the only thing that bothers me about the new set is that I don't see why a smaller cluster of it couldn't have been sold for those who didn't want to go the whole hog. Even as a digital release, packaging Discs 1-3, or Discs 1, 5 & 6 together would have been good. (Mind you, if they know their economics, they probably will do this, in a year, when the full set sells out.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh, I'm sure we'll get a limited club release of just disc 1 as well - I'd put money on it even.
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Can anyone see if the DVD is Region 0 or restricted?

I've noticed that the DVD is "Region Free, NTSC". Does that not mean that there's still restrictions depending upon whether your DVD plays only PAL?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. I notice that "Robert Townson addresses some of the questions..." on Spartacus.

http://www.varesesarabande.com/News.asp
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010
    A NOTE FROM ROBERT TOWNSON
    Dispelling Myths, Addressing Misinformationand Offering Insight on my new production of Alex North’s SPARTACUS

In response to some questions we’ve received regarding the enormity of SPARTACUS, I thought
    it might be helpful to provide a little background. I also wanted to address some of the
    misinformation that is spreading on certain message boards.

Regarding the notion that this set would have or could have or been a fraction of its current price
    were it not for the two discs of Spartacus Love Theme variations … it’s just not true. This 2-CD
    set within the boxed set was discounted to just $10.00, as part of the box. Take the love themes
    away and we’re still looking at a $99.98 list. We cut all of the pricing as low as we possibly could.
    We were very mindful of current economic times and didn’t want to price SPARTACUS out of reach
    of too many music fans who really wanted it. Certainly even $20.00 can seem expensive to some
    people, but the enormous costs of studio and label licensing, Union fees, restoration, mastering, and
    packaging (which is itself so expensive), the music of SPARTACUS meant that even the restored
    score by itself would have been expensive. The elements needed a lot of work! After all, it’s taken
    50 years for this to happen!! People who wanted a $10 or $20 Spartacus have had one of those for
    five decades! But when even a new pair of jeans or a nice shirt can pretty easily set you back $100
    or more, I was very comfortable with where our pricing ended up on this.

As to the love themes themselves, I explain my thought process behind this part of the project in
    their own set of liner notes. What I will say here is that I designed each of the two CDs as a standalone
    listening experience. I would recommend listening to each disc on a separate day. That said,
    I think many will be struck by the wide range of styles and, in particular, be surprised by how
    distant the notion that you are listening to the same piece of music over and over again becomes.
    Within the variety of interpretations I find more inherent musical variety than I find in the
    majority of regular albums where each new track is an altogether different piece. Overcoming the
    feeling of repetition was the challenge this concept faced from the very beginning. That was the
    hurdle we had of overcome. There is a reason why nothing like this has been tried before. But the
    reason the set of love theme variations ended up as not just one but two discs is very simple. When
    that first disc was full I was astounded by what it offered. It exceeded my hopes in every way. Each
    of the musicians I invited to be part of it gave the project everything they had. And there was still
    more to come! I can’t imagine this SPARTACUS set without some of the final few recordings that
    came in. Alexandre Desplat’s performance on 12 flutes! Dave Grusin at the piano! Joel McNeely’s
    variation for flute and piano … I am so excited for people to explore these magical performances
    and hear the Spartacus Love Theme so ingeniously interpreted by such an exemplary group of
    musicians. I consider these discs an absolutely priceless bonus that was only possible due to the
    generosity of the composers themselves, and an integral part of presenting Alex North’s
    SPARTACUS. There is a remarkable history to this melody and it has been being explored by
    legendary musicians for the entire duration of its 50 years. I just couldn’t ignore this extremely
    unique part of the SPARTACUS story.

As to the documentary, again it grew beyond what I planned simply because of what everyone had
    to say! My idea was to produce a 10- or 20-minute featurette along the lines of the score features
    that appear on some film DVDs. It seemed odd that no similar piece had ever been produced to
    accompany a soundtrack release. That was the plan — and it went out the window on the very first
    day of filming. The documentary includes 25 minutes of John Williams alone discussing his friendship with Alex North and a detailed discussion of the SPARTACUS score. How utterly fascinating to hear such a musical legend discuss enthusiastically and in depth his own appreciation for the father of modern film music. And everyone had unique stories to tell and insights to offer. We just couldn’t have left this on the cutting room floor. I even had to turn away other composers who had agreed to be part of the project just to keep this film from becoming a 2-DVD set! For that matter, I could still be recording love themes! And we absorbed all of the extra costs of expanding the documentary without raising the list price at all.

I can’t wait for the people who have ordered this set to receive it and discover everything it offers
    and all of the things that are simply impossible to convey in any announcement.

So, yes, it’s big. But it’s big because of the score. It couldn’t have been anything else.

It’s SPARTACUS!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I purchased the Bernstein Box. I didn't go for the Blue Box, or many of the subsequent boxes.

Not really the same, though, is it?
    These boxes contained six to thirteen scores.
    This is one score.

Don't get me wrong. I'm always happy when others are happy (means someone somewhere is doing something right smile ), but it certainly smacks like overkill for me.

I'm sure it will be overkill for many but there are very few scores where I'd be interested in a release like this and Spartacus would be near the top of that list. I also bought the Bernstein box but not the Blue Box or the Rozsa Box (I certainly would have purchased some items in the latter were they for offer individually, but they aren't). But this - I'd order without a moment's hesitation, if not for the fact that I'll shortly be moving house and it probably won't come before I leave. I imagine it will still be available after that (unless the other online retailers pick thousands up between them in order to make some easy cash, which strikes me as being eminently distasteful).
  5. Southall wrote
    ...I'll shortly be moving house...

I hope everything goes well with the move, James.
  6. Glad to see a fellow traveller...
  7. Now if only he'd address the widely false and bloated score descriptions used for upcoming regular releases. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    justin boggan wrote
    Now if only he'd address the widely false and bloated score descriptions used for upcoming regular releases. ;-)

True!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    But when even a new pair of jeans or a nice shirt can pretty easily set you back $100
    I can't resist in not commenting about this one. A nice pair of jeans and a good quality t-shirt from costco is $16.00. Both items of clothing last for years.

As I've said before I hope he does well with it. Hmm this gives me an idea. I've got a 70 minute tape of nothing but different interpretations of the song Laura which includes ost, raskin re-recorded, sinatra, andre previn, bobby hackett,.... Maybe there is some money in this one.
    Thomas smile
  8. sdtom wrote
    But when even a new pair of jeans or a nice shirt can pretty easily set you back $100
    I can't resist in not commenting about this one. A nice pair of jeans and a good quality t-shirt from costco is $16.00. Both items of clothing last for years.

Interesting. A good pair of jeans here, built to last, is definitely over the $100 mark.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    A nice pair of jeans and a good quality t-shirt from costco is $16.00. Both items of clothing last for years.

But the difference obviously lies in the market segment one is targeting: you can also get very nice CDs or downloads with cover versions of favourite movie themes for as little as 50 cents in any 7-11.

I guess though that's not what the intended audience of this release is looking for (as little as the chance of someone looking for Boss pants would be peeping into a Costco's).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Not here my friend. Come and visit me sometime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Interesting. A good pair of jeans here, built to last, is definitely over the $100 mark.

The 100 Euro mark is pretty well the established very bottom line here.
    Which I think is roughly 150 Australian dollars? slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    Not here my friend. Come and visit me sometime.

Costco's does carry the Boss brand? uhm
  9. I can buy a regular plain T-shirt at Wal-Mart for about $8 with taxes. Don't wear jeans, but can probably fetch a cheap pair for ten bucks at Goodwill, which often sells new & un-used clothing.

Anyone spending a hundred dollars on two articles of clothing, needs to re-examine their spending habits.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    <shrug>
    In most of western society, you pay for what you want. Not for what you (objectively) need.
    If someone is happy to shell out $200 for a particularly fashionable, trendy and branded pair of pants which looks really good, and as long as they can afford it (i.e. keep their priorities straight), then why argue with that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think Townson used a poor example. Now if he wanted to say it could cost up to a $100.00 to replace your ink cartridges, one of my pet peeves I wouldn't argue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    I think Townson used a poor example. Now if he wanted to say it could cost up to a $100.00 to replace your ink cartridges, one of my pet peeves I wouldn't argue.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can still go to Walmart buy a replacement printer, a Canon, open it up and take out the ink, throw away the rest of it and be ahead by $10.00 if I bought the ink. Amt of ink is the same. The only reason I don't is that its bad for the ecology.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I can still go to Walmart buy a replacement printer, a Canon, open it up and take out the ink, throw away the rest of it and be ahead by $10.00 if I bought the ink.

applause
    Very pragmatic!

The only reason I don't is that its bad for the ecology.

smile
    Very ideological.
  10. Martijn wrote
    <shrug>
    In most of western society, you pay for what you want. Not for what you (objectively) need.
    If someone is happy to shell out $200 for a particularly fashionable, trendy and branded pair of pants which looks really good, and as long as they can afford it (i.e. keep their priorities straight), then why argue with that?

'cause if you're complaint is you can't afford to buy something because you spent your money poorly, then why even bring it up? $100 is not a lot for what the set offers, but it's a hell of a lot for two pieces of clothing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    justin boggan wrote
    'cause if you're complaint is you can't afford to buy something because you spent your money poorly, then why even bring it up?

That seems pretty logical, doesn't it?

$100 is not a lot for what the set offers, but it's a hell of a lot for two pieces of clothing.

Again: depends on your standards and your point of view.
    For west European standards it's really cheap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    'cause if you're complaint is you can't afford to buy something because you spent your money poorly, then why even bring it up?

That seems pretty logical, doesn't it?

$100 is not a lot for what the set offers, but it's a hell of a lot for two pieces of clothing.

Again: depends on your standards and your point of view.
    For west European standards it's really cheap.

This release of Spartacus seems to me to be the most luxurious release of any soundtrack, ever. Sure, you can spend $10 on getting the old MCA album, just like you can spend $10 on getting a cheap pair of jeans. But I could walk into a department store and buy myself a pair of Paul Smith jeans and easily spend $200 on them. If you want the more luxurious option, you pay more. I don't really see what's so odd about that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That was exactly my point. smile