• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. What's annoying me is that I have to train people how to use a big (though not too complicated) software package. Yet... even just pressing one button proves too difficult for some people.
    Me: "Press this button here." Them: "What, this one?" Me: "Err... no, the one I'm actually pointing at!".
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2013
    Stavroula wrote
    Thanks for the support guys! Just to get an idea of what's happening

It's always been my opinion that there's two areas any civilised society cannot afford to cut back on: health care and education. These two are so incredibly vital to any societal system that I can't even begin to understand how anyone could think otherwise. Ensuring and divulging (developing) knowledge, and supporting and improving life.
    How could anything be more important? Surely everything else comes from these two bases?

Yet amazingly, in most systems these two areas are generally the first to feel the full brunt of any cutbacks.
    It frustrates and infuriates me.

I'm very sorry about your plight and that of your colleagues, Stavi.
    You, and yours, deserve better.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2013
    Synchrotones wrote
    What's annoying me is that I have to train people how to use a big (though not too complicated) software package. Yet... even just pressing one button proves too difficult for some people.
    Me: "Press this button here." Them: "What, this one?" Me: "Err... no, the one I'm actually pointing at!".

Don't underestimate most people's technofobia ("I've never seen this, therefore I fear it") or learned helplessness ("but someone always does that for me!")! It makes for frustrating teaching! smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2013 edited
    Stavroula wrote
    Thanks for the support guys! Just to get an idea of what's happening

That's just awful. How terribly irresponsible and endlessly stupid. Never do that with education, it's the core of a society. I'm so sorry to hear that and I can only hope for the best. It makes be mad though that this still is happening.

EDIT: What Martijn said!
    Kazoo
  2. pff, it seems in Greece, the problems continue to expand. Hope some good will come out of it in the end. Stavi, I hope everything turns out well for you (and the others of course) in the end.

A hug for support
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2013
    Currently annoying me: I've gained 7 (seven!) kilos this summer, from 75 to 82. Yes, chips, chocolate, beer and lots of food are to blame. Tomorrow begins a new regime.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    Currently annoying me: I've gained 7 (seven!) kilos this summer, from 75 to 82. Yes, chips, chocolate, beer and lots of food are to blame. Tomorrow begins a new regime.

oh I've been there, when I near 80 my alarm goes off and I go on a stronger diet. However, due to a strict regime I'm already following (apparently I reacted bad to several food ingredients) I already lost 6 kilos, and weigh for now 71,8.

I haven't had this since I was 25 shame
    don't think I'll hold this though.

So good luck Thor smile
  4. I surely should join you there, Thor. I'll try to muster my morals.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote

oh I've been there, when I near 80 my alarm goes off and I go on a stronger diet. However, due to a strict regime I'm already following (apparently I reacted bad to several food ingredients) I already lost 6 kilos, and weigh for now 71,8.

So good luck Thor smile

That's impressive, Thomas.

My issue is not really the weight, though (which is fine), but the increased waistline -- which doesn't look good when you have a normally slim body like mine. If only those 7 kilos could have added themselves elsewhere.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I went from 90 kg to 66 kg since November.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I went from 90 kg to 66 kg since November.

slant
    Eihter you were horribly overweight, which is not good.
    Or you dropped WAY too much in too short a period. Which is not good.
  6. The first option.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2013
    Martijn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I went from 90 kg to 66 kg since November.

slant
    Eihter you were horribly overweight, which is not good.
    Or you dropped WAY too much in too short a period. Which is not good.

I agree but it depends on height and bone structure which must be taken into consideration.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote

So good luck Thor smile

That's impressive, Thomas.

My issue is not really the weight, though (which is fine), but the increased waistline -- which doesn't look good when you have a normally slim body like mine. If only those 7 kilos could have added themselves elsewhere.

yeah, I understand that.
    Still, it's not difficult losing it, it's difficult keeping it.

And Pawel, wow. THat's impressive.
    I hope you feel good though. There's no problem having a little overweight, but too thin is not good either if you don't feel comfortable or healthy
  8. I do feel much better, it's all been under nutritionist control.
  9. I upgrade to Steinberg's Halion Sonic 2 recently. Fabulous software synth. HS1 and various add-ons ran absolutely fine on my XP machine, but HS2 crashes frequently.
    I logged the issue with Steinberg but they won't acknowledge it, because their data sheet does say it needs Windows 7 or higher. Thing is... it says that for all Steinberg software, including the add-ons I've had for months and that ran/run totally fine.
    Gutted. So now I gotta spend even more money on getting Windows 7. Booo! sad
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  10. Pete, are you doing this on a professional level. I fool around with vst and daw technology hobby-wise. Whithout any formal musical training whatoever it's more trial and error. I do play the piano by ear well enough to be of use at birthday parties. That helps. I try to imitate the synth sound circa 1975-1985.

You use cubase? I use magix music studio. It's aimes more a amateurs than at professionals and is very easy to use. Just what I need.

And: No, I'm not going to embarras myself by charing any of my feeble cues here. I had some up on youtube but I deleted my google account recently.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  11. No not professionally, unfortunately*. I'm a failed musician, therefore turned to reviewing!! moon

I've been writing music (hobby-wise) since the early 90s. And yes, I use Cubase, Halion, Halion Sonic, a couple of other Cubase synths (e.g. Pad Shop, Dark Planet), IKM's SampleTank XL, Peter Siedlaczeck's Advanced Orchestra... and a couple of other things.

I never tried Magix, so I've no idea how it compares to Cubase. I don't find Cubase particularly hard. What is bugging me is my grotesquely outdate version of the Halion sampler. I'm still on v1.0.3, when v5 has just been released! Loading .wav samples and making it all work takes a lot of time; and when I'm done I forgot what I wanted to do in the first place hehe.

*but if anyone's hiring don't hesitate to visit my website, wink wink nudge nudge...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2013 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Hm, interesting. I think the chance for Lyme disease in a tick zone is much bigger than getting skin cancer from one sunburn.

That's true enough, but still pretty irresponsible to let the kids get burned like that, especially with all the knowledge there is concerning skin cancer these days. Getting a sunburn as a child means that you'll have an increased risk of skin cancer in that area the rest of your life. So something best to avoid.

It's good that they are aware of the dangers that ticks can pose though.

Bregje wrote
    I thought I had read that 1 out of 3 ticks carry the Lyme-causing thing (is it a virus?).

Indeed, it's not in all ticks. They say that if you get bitten by a tick the chance of contracting Lyme disease is about 3%. Lyme disease is caused by bacteria. They also have other nasty diseases though, not all bacterial, so Lyme is not the only danger they pose, and anitobiotics might not solve it all.

Bregje wrote
    Anyway, they had to bring socks and boots to camp, even with 26C because when they had activities outside they had to wear long trousers in socks/boots. So there was a tick policy, so to speak. But of course, with the swimming activity they were not wearing socks and boots.
    wink

wink

Bregje wrote
    It was at a lake by the way, so a nature erea with trees.

Ahhh, that does indeed sound like a tick area then.

Bregje wrote
    Ticks can't fall out of trees as well? I thought wearing caps or hats was recommended too and that the brochures say not to forget to check the skin under your hair.

I'm sure it's possible that at some point in history a tick has climbed up a tree and fallen down wink, but according to all the information I've come across, they climb up in tall grass and bushes and then just sit there and wait until an animal brush up against the plants and then they latch on. When you think about it, falling from a tree in the hope of landing on a suitable host, would have a very poor success rate, so it's not surprising that they've "chosen" another strategy. It's true they often go to the hair region, but that's not because they've fallen from trees, but because they climb around on one's body until they find a suitable spot. I remember when I came home from the trip, I had an unattached tick running around on my arm desperately looking for a good spot, and it must have been at least 2 hours after I had contracted the tick. That's also why it's a good idea to take a shower as soon as you come home from a forest, to remove any unattached ticks.

Bregje wrote
    Anyway, these ticks and their risk really take away a lot of the fun of spending time outside. I'm not an outside person at all and now even less. And it's even worse when you get one and get Lyme too. I'm really sorry Peter!

Indeed, it really takes the fun away. I'm in fact an outdoor person, since I love take pictures of birds, but my emerging paranoia concerning ticks has kinda ruined it for me. slant

Thanks for the sympathy, Bregje, I appreciate it. smile

Peter smile
  12. People that park in front of your house, even though there is plenty of space in front of their own house.. which means I have to park in front of someone else's house... and then I get told off for parking in front of their house.

Sigh. First world problems... confused

<s>
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2013
    Talking about first world problems, I have a similar dilemma. People parking outside my house means I'm forced to park at the reject spot right under a tree. Which, jugding by the artwork left on my car, is full of birds who eat far too many berries. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That is ruined paint work for you. Bird shit is acidic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's like driving a farmyard. slant
  13. Because you get some grief from someone because you have parked in front of their house, you can remind them that they have no right to be able to park in front of their own house: the road is a public highway and anyone can park in that spot.

But, if someone parks in YOUR space, well, that is a different matter! Nuke 'em.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2013
    Just saw this on failblog-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgwuWcjsRjs

It's a long time since I've felt so bad for someone I've seen in a youtube video. I want to give that old lady a big hug.

Peter sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2013
    "That's one for You've Been Framed."

What is this, the 90s!?
  14. So, I'm checking out at a grocery store. This old lady in an electric cart who has been there since I got in line minutes ago, is still sitting there as I am finally getting rung up. I hear another cashier ask another cashier if anybody has come up to help her with her things yet, since this isn't a store that uses carry-out bagboys.

So, I'm out of line, I stop, ask her if that's her cart (which had heavy things in it, for a frail old lady like her, like a big microwave). I ask her, "Ma'am, would you like some help with that?"

She's obviously been there at least ten minutes and nobody is coming unless a manager drags them over.

"No, I don't want your help, I want their help."

This is what I get for trying to be nice. Believe it or not, I've had things like this happen to me every few months. People just can't seem to help themselves. I've gotten to point where if I hold open a door for lady and she justs walks by like I didn't exist, I say, "You're welcome" and wait for the "Thank you", which let me tell you -- that doesn't come often.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2013
    That's the service industry for you, Justin. There will always be people who aren't polite, and for whom you just have to smile and try not to take it personally. What did she mean by "their help"? Who is 'they'?
    I am extremely serious.
  15. justin boggan wrote
    I've gotten to point where if I hold open a door for lady and she justs walks by like I didn't exist, I say, "You're welcome" and wait for the "Thank you", which let me tell you -- that doesn't come often.

Yeah, know how you feel. This is one of my pet peeves as well.
    Or vice versa... when people in front of you just let the door slam in your face, knowing full well you were behind them.

<s>
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2013
    Agree with you guys. They also have children who'll grow up lacking any good manners, I've held doors open for women and their brood and the parent doesn't bother asking their children to 'thank the gentleman' as I was told to do as a kid.