• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Railing against the young people is as old a Aristotle and it ressurects with every generation. Yet I do think that there is a general decline in manners and decency. That we ovserve it in almost all countrys of the western world is worrysome. Maybe it has to do with a general notion that the current system of relentles globelized capitalism is not going to last for very much longer and that tough times are ehead for which you have to brace yourself and your children. Many expect a 1928 like scenario ar something even graver.

Maybe all I just said is rubbish.

Some weeks before summer break I had an encounter with a father whos son had been catched at cheating. He demanded his son's test to count as if nothing had happened because: Hey, that's what everybody does anyway. And that this world was not about rules but about getting ahead by all means and so on.
    Later on our headmaster would councel that father to go find his son another school. Which he did.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2013 edited
    Internet speeds. crazy

Since the weekend our internet speed has sunk to sub-1Mbps after consistently being up around the 6Mbps (with a high for a few days before the "crash" of nearer 8Mbps). At the moment, our upload speed sometimes outstrips our download speed.

Our internet provider - surprise, surprise - is shite at any sort of support. I'm waiting for them to get back to me and all I am expecting from them is to suggest turning things off and then on again.

I am assuming that our internet provider (EE, formally Orange) is my first stop in trying to at least raise our problem with someone. Any point in contacting BT regarding the phone line itself or will EE do this as part of any (unlikely) investigation of the issues?

Online purchases of scores seems to be a bit of a waste of time with speeds so slow. It took over 10 minutes for an 80Mb download this morning. sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2013
    That sucks. Has happened to me several times, and I've gotten the same response as you -- just try to turn things on and off. Hope you get it sorted out somehow.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    That sucks. Has happened to me several times, and I've gotten the same response as you -- just try to turn things on and off. Hope you get it sorted out somehow.

Cheers Thor.

It's amazing how frustrated we have become with drops in our internet speed/quality. The kids especially can't understand how the quality of service can sometimes be so variable. And they expect me to be able to fix it.

I suppose that it's just an inconvenience for us who just use the internet for pleasure but I'm having difficulty working as I log into remote servers for work and Rachel needs the internet for homework.

It's especially frustrating in the evening (when the internet can be slow anyway). Sometimes there can be 3 computers on and then each of the 4 of us have a smartphone. Dividing 1Mbps between all that is a bit tricky (6Mbps could just about handle that!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2013
    It says something about how dependent we are on the interwebz these days.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote

It's amazing how frustrated we have become with drops in our internet speed/quality. The kids especially can't understand how the quality of service can sometimes be so variable. And they expect me to be able to fix it.

Of course they do. It's part of daddy's job description. cheesy I remember when I was very young I owned an old DUAL monophonic record player. It had the speaker installed in the lid. I inherited that device from my parents when they bought their first stereo. I loved that thing!
    From time to time the turntable would stop turning. My dad would then open the player and clean and dust the interior. After that everything worked just fine again. (Go try that with a modern CD player ...)
    In my childish perception my dad had just worked a miracle and he was the most awesome man in the world.

That kind of magic ist mostly gone with modern technology.

Cheers!
    Volker
  4. Hopefully this has now been resolved by our ISP. My download speeds have now jumped from 0.5Mbps up to 10Mbps - a speed that we have never had before!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2013
    "Now Playing XLV ... New 1104"

Take a little vacation (from the board and film music), and this is what I come back to. Will take me days to get up to date. *sigh* slant

The last thing I remember is Erik Woods ranting about "Remember me". I suppose this is all ancient history to everyone else...

Peter wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2013
    Remember Me?
    God, that's SO 5 minutes ago!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2013
    Martijn wrote
    Remember Me?
    God, that's SO 5 minutes ago!

Wrong!

5 hours and 5 minutes ago.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Ah, good. Seems I haven't missed much then.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2013 edited
    I'm not talking to you.
    You are locking up artists who speak their mind. angry

(Yes, you have to answer for the whole of Danish society! And after that, you and I are going to have words about those Norsemen that have been raiding those European coasts some ten centuries ago. angry )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Punished for telling the TRUTH! Oh dear. slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2013 edited
    Some people can't handle the truth! *insert Jackie boy*
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    I'm not talking to you.

biggrin

Martijn wrote
    You are locking up artists who speak their mind. angry

(Yes, you have to answer for the whole of Danish society! And after that, you and I are going to have words about those Norsemen that have been raiding those European coasts some ten centuries ago. angry )

...eh... I'm not Danish, I'm Swe... Swahi... French! That's it, I'm French.

Anyway, I think the anti-racism law is ridiculous and an embarrassment. It's PC and anti-free speech legislation. It has also been used against anti-semitic radical muslims, but most of the time it's used against people speaking out against Islam.

Peter shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2013
    That's a very big issue you have opened in discussion guys. Anyway!

I'm so annoyed with what is happening to me with my work these past few months that I haven't slept properly for a week now. To cut a very long story short due to a stupid mistake from the Ministry of Education for the past month I appear to be in two position at the same time! One in Athens, 20 kilometres from my home at a primary school finally teaching, and the one I had for the past 5 years in Sparta in the office again! I've finally got my transfer to Athens, otherwise I was probably going to get fired, and they made a mistake and included my name in the office lists as well! And until they correct it I cannot leave Sparta and go to school!It's over a month now and the damned Minister has not signed the freaking paper that says I am free to go to school yet!!!
    Don't get me wrong, I love Sparti, my friends here, my independence (I have to go back to mum and dad) but I honestly cannot afford leaving here any more, I'm broke. And I need to be close to my own people.
    So, I'm positively fuming with nerves! slant
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2013 edited
    Bloody hell.
    You read these stories about the Greek civil service ....shall we say 'not being the most efficient in the world', but this is just playing with people's livelihoods....which isn't the easiest thing in Greece these days anyway.

So sorry to hear this, Stav.
    What can you do to force their hand?
    Couldn't you employ some legal aid to push this?
    This is just ridiculous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    You tell me! I'll see what I'll do unless I explode first! dizzy
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    May I suggest a choice selection of subtle insults?
    Something along the lines of 'the last time we encountered such gross incompetence in the Civil Service was when Greece went nearly bankrupt.... Tell me, did you work at the Ministry of Finance before this'?
  5. When all is sorted out I hope you will find a bunch of cute little Attic worriors and worriornesses waiting for you, Stavi.

knight
    love

All the best!!
    Volker
  6. EVERYTHING !! crazy

Just one of those days ...
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2013
    This construction going on about a 100 feet from where I live is really starting to get to me. There is an abundance of dirt, noise, machines, hammering, and other forms of annoyance that I'm sorry I moved to this apartment. Because of the dust I've seldom been able to open my windows except on a couple of holiday weekends. As I type now my computer, desk, and floor are vibrating from some flattening machine.
    Tom sad
    listen to more classical music!
  7. Yeah. Construction noise really can walk your nerves. I hope this construction measure will be over soon.

Volker
  8. "Eastenders" and "Coronation Street". The girlfriend is watching it. I had to walk away. How do people enjoy that kind of shit? After a long, tedious day at work, and whilst trying to enjoy a nice dinner, the last thing I want to watch is fightinf, arguing, intimidation, bullying, etcetera. Grr.

I've binned my dinner. Poored a large drink and escaped to the study to browse for a new pc. Maybe gadgets will cheer me up again. <s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  9. I thought Coronation Street was sweets in a round tin box ... Wait, that's Quality Street!

lick
    Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013 edited
    I'm a bit annoyed that I haven't been around here much lately. But it's not for a bad reason.

It's the busiest time of my life, work related. Last week our team had a successful demo of our work though, so that was a good closure of that period. Now up is another big task that'll keep us busy at least a couple of months. I case you don't know what project I'm on currently, we develop and continue to build the international rail ticketing site for TGV, Eurostar, ICE, ... www.b-europe.com. Lots of complex stuff but quite proud of what we do!

Luckily London and Elfman bring a little break in between. And then there's the Film festival of Ghent and a few concerts. And last Saturday I went to Disneyland for the 10th anniversary of the company where I work. They gave all colleagues and family a train trip and park access. I've never queued so long voluntarily. spin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013
    At least the money keeps pouring in for you, Bregt, with all that work! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Yeah. Construction noise really can walk your nerves. I hope this construction measure will be over soon.

Volker

The company has created a huge mess in my opinion. The move in date was set for today and it is at least a month off. People who live in my complex who want the advantages of assisted living can't move in and their apartments have already been rented. Glad this isn't my problem.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
  10. Currently, I am unable to buy any of the albums I have in my iTunes wish list. Click on the "Buy" button and nothing happens at all. Everything else seems to be okay though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Everything else seems to be okay though.

Including your credit card balance.
    biggrin