• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010
    BP, i am very sorry to hear that. Would you be able to track down causes a bit more in the near future? Let us know, keep us informed. I wish you all the best turn of events, amidst this negativity and hard time.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I can't imagine anything worse for such a big fan of music. Hopefully the hearing loss with progress so slowly that you'll always be able to enjoy music as you do today.

Peter
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm really sorry to hear that, BP. It's really horrible, I hope the damage at least stops at this point so the situation doesn't get any worse. My best wishes with you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    As someone who was just diagnosed with tinnitus a month ago (which is not only a hearing loss, but a CONSTANT PEEPING SOUND on top of that), I understand completely where you're coming from, Bhelpuri. Here's hoping for better days!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010
    I have the flu.
    And I can't sleep.
    And that complicates my hernia which hurts like a m*th*rf*ck*r.

On the plus side, though...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010 edited
    The flu can't be that bad.....you're still writing here. wink

I do sympathise on your hernia though, I have no idea how painful this must be and having a nasty infection can't be helping, are you coughing and/or sneezing a lot?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, I am...which is keeping me awake throughout the night.
    And that's a double whammy: sleeping relaxes my muscles and actually helps expanding my spine (creating some relief on the vertebrae), which causes great relief mornings.

Now I don't sleep, (i.e. can't get no relief) AND coughing and sneezing is absolute HELL on the pain.
    And of course I'm doing that every minute.

Trust me to turn man flu into a life threatening situation wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Seriously, I really feel for you. Just flu by itself is more than enough to contend with. Anyway, as I mentioned on your congratulations thread, I hope you get good real quick so you can go out and celebrate.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    punk :sneeze: wine champagne :cough: fireworks :wheeze: christmas_drunk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Sounds completely dreadful. Hope you'll get well soon, Martijn.

And congrats with the degree! Very cool to finish off with such a good grade.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    punk :sneeze: wine champagne :cough: fireworks :wheeze: christmas_drunk

punk

What bulldog spirit, you are now an honorary Englishman beer
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    That I have about a dozen upcoming albums where the deal is ALMOST done. Can't people just sign and be happy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    moviescore wrote
    That I have about a dozen upcoming albums where the deal is ALMOST done. Can't people just sign and be happy?

Man, Bitches.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My computer died yesterday morning while downloading microsoft updates. My data was backed up but some of the installed programs such as Adobe Audition are gone as I don't have the CD's for everything. I've found a temporary replacement for now but I really want to get a Mac. I'm tired of the bullshit with Windows. How I'm going to accomplish that is another story. 14 years of Windows is enough sad
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, get a mac. Ask Erik wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote

When it has anything to do with computers I trust Erik 100%.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

When it has anything to do with computers I trust Erik 100%.
    Thomas smile

In that case you'll be disappointed to hear that he was having some serious issues with his Mac recently! (I gather from Facebook.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    sdtom wrote
    My computer died yesterday morning while downloading microsoft updates.

Ouch, what a pain. I never install updates. They only cause problems, and never add anything noticable.

sdtom wroteI've found a temporary replacement for now but I really want to get a Mac. I'm tired of the bullshit with Windows.

I hope you're ready for tons of frustration and bullshit with your Mac instead then. Not only are they as crappy and unstable as PCs, but if you're used to Windows, getting used to Mac "logic" is one steep, uphill battle.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    People, be it Mac or Pc, it all depends on the usage and maintenance. As long as something freaky doesn't occur (happens both on macs and pcs, a total crash for instance), someone who doesn't know how to properly maintain their computer, will end up with a terrible lag, at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I hate the whole Mac Vs. PCs bollocks.

They're all just computers that come with their own pros and cons! crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Exactly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote
    People, be it Mac or Pc, it all depends on the usage and maintenance. As long as something freaky doesn't occur (happens both on macs and pcs, a total crash for instance), someone who doesn't know how to properly maintain their computer, will end up with a terrible lag, at least.

You know D I got almost 9 years out of the computer so I can't complain. In fact since 1992 I've only had two computers so I can't complain. I would say I maintained mine pretty well.
    Thomas cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    plindboe wrote
    sdtom wrote
    My computer died yesterday morning while downloading microsoft updates.

Ouch, what a pain. I never install updates. They only cause problems, and never add anything noticable.

sdtom wroteI've found a temporary replacement for now but I really want to get a Mac. I'm tired of the bullshit with Windows.

I hope you're ready for tons of frustration and bullshit with your Mac instead then. Not only are they as crappy and unstable as PCs, but if you're used to Windows, getting used to Mac "logic" is one steep, uphill battle.

Peter smile

Right now Peter I can't afford anything so it is a mute point.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You know D I got almost 9 years out of the computer so I can't complain. In fact since 1992 I've only had two computers so I can't complain. I would say I maintained mine pretty well.
    Thomas cheesy

Then it might be that it was just its time to die. I don't think it's a mac vs pc issue.
  1. Take some positives out of the PC expiring, Tom (apart from the cost of a replacement and losing some costly software). Buying a new (and greatly improved performance) PC will have cleared out a lot of the rubbish that's accumulated over the years!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I hate the whole Mac Vs. PCs bollocks.

They're all just computers that come with their own pros and cons! crazy

Indeed, indeed. It's all very silly. There are clear dividing lines between them (aesthetically, I'm thinking mostly) but ultimately they both have their good and bad points. The real annoyance is the air of arrogance Apple always puts out ("I'm a PC - oops, I've crashed" - "I'm a Mac, I'm crash-proof!") which has until now completely removed any desire to own a Mac. I might give one a go next time I change computers, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    sdtom wrote
    My computer died yesterday morning while downloading microsoft updates. My data was backed up but some of the installed programs such as Adobe Audition are gone as I don't have the CD's for everything. I've found a temporary replacement for now but I really want to get a Mac. I'm tired of the bullshit with Windows. How I'm going to accomplish that is another story. 14 years of Windows is enough sad
    Thomas

Sorry to hear that. Have you looked at what your requirements are before settling on a mac? Demetris said it right--

Christodoulides wrote

A simple and cheap option might be to get a PC and put an easy-to-navigate unix system on it.
    What specialty programs do you need to run?

Thor wrote
    As someone who was just diagnosed with tinnitus a month ago (which is not only a hearing loss, but a CONSTANT PEEPING SOUND on top of that), I understand completely where you're coming from, Bhelpuri. Here's hoping for better days!

Thanks everyone. It doesn't bother me much except that my folks are extremely concerned given that there's a stigma associated with such things in India.

Thor,
    I hope it gets better for you. BTW you should be getting a nice surprise in the mail next week or so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BhelPuri wrote
    Thanks everyone. It doesn't bother me much except that my folks are extremely concerned given that there's a stigma associated with such things in India.

A stigma? Specifically in connection to hearing loss? shocked
    What's the thinking (or rather "lack OF") behind that, BP?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BP, i've got a dual boot with Ubuntu and Windows 7 x64. Sadly, not all my needed programs can be run in the far more stable and light UBUNTU (on which the latest MacOsX versions are clearly based btw), but i suspect Tom's usage of the pc is far more general than mine?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Take some positives out of the PC expiring, Tom (apart from the cost of a replacement and losing some costly software). Buying a new (and greatly improved performance) PC will have cleared out a lot of the rubbish that's accumulated over the years!

I looked at some laptops at Walmart today after my grocery shopping and was quite surprised. Alan has made an excellent point about the junk being cleared out.