• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010
    Think about that for a minute, Kevin. If you want something more cheerful you aren't typically going to find it in thread called "What's annoying you currently."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Why would someone kill themselves if they have their health, a house ontop of their heads, food and people who love them like friends and / or a spouse?

As Timmer said, it's not easy for those of us who don't feel like committing suicide to understand what it feels like. The fact that people do kill themselves, even in good health and with an apparently fortunate lifestyle, is indicative of that fact that for whatever reason, it must be quite serious and, well, can't be good.

Those who kill themselves amidst responsibility (family, friends and other situations) don't get my sympathy. They take the cowards way out... but those who genuinely feel like they have no choice but to commit suicide, that's a terrible thing.

I think it's very hard to say they don't deserve any sympathy, except in rare cases like that piece of filth who decided to take 12 people with him in Cumbria this week, it's like I said, who can say what deep and dark places some people are in, the kind of despair where they can see no other way out. I loathe suicide, I really do, I know personally how it affects friends, family and loved ones, it brings up a dychotomy of feelings, hatred for what that person has put others through but also sympathy for knowing there must have been something so mentally terrible that that person could see no other solution.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I can sympathize when they have problems, although i cannot understand it as i've never experienced it obviously. But without an important reason and unless it's clinical (does something like that exist?, i think it does from what i remember reading around), i find it very hard to sympathize.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm with D. It's a very, very selfish act.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010 edited
    Really sorry to hear that, Bregt. sad

Christodoulides wrote
    unless it's clinical (does something like that exist?, i think it does from what i remember reading around

Yes, "unreasonable" depression can indeed be considered a psychological disease. Although we don't study psychology until final year, I was going through a senior student's book for the same a while back and it's interesting to read how the brain actually "rewires" itself physically in incidence with mental thoughts and happenings. And the other way round too - with physical changes in the brain the thought process changes and often results in conditions such as unexplained depression, stress or unusual phobias. The causes can vary but it's a distinct problem which needs medical attention. I've had some friends like that in the school and was often afraid whether they'd go and do something of that sort. A guy from another section actually committed suicide sometime back over a trivial issue, and it was really terrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Selfish/not selfish? It depends very much on the circumstances, I would say.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    It's a tragic act whatevet the reasons. I used to know a boy, we were working together and he was the embodiment of joy, he was always laughing, flerting, a handsome man who was liked by everyone who knew him. A year after we stopped working together I went by the shop we met and I learned he commited suicide. He fell from a balcony. He was 22.

I'm sorry for your loss Bregt. sad
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    I can sympathize when they have problems, although i cannot understand it as i've never experienced it obviously. But without an important reason and unless it's clinical (does something like that exist?, i think it does from what i remember reading around), i find it very hard to sympathize.

Erik Woods wrote
    I'm with D. It's a very, very selfish act.

I've lived two very close cases of suicide and those of you that (FORTUNATELY) have not lived it do not have fucking idea of what it is nor have the right to call it selfish or whatever you may call it. Trust me.

That said, I'm very sorry Bregt.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote

I've lived two very close cases of suicide and those of you that (FORTUNATELY) have not lived it do not have fucking idea of what it is nor have the right to call it selfish or whatever you may call it. Trust me.

True.. I haven't had to live it... but if some one who does it as an easy way out... then I have no sympathy whatsoever because they have really have no idea what the impact of their own death will do to their friends and family. There is always a better alternative than suicide. Always!

-Erik-
  1. Sometimes though you don't see another alternative and if it's depression it's not a case of easy or hard way out, it's a case of chemical imbalance and nothing more.

At a certain point though medicine that deals with the imbalance, it may lead to more activity (rather than lying in bed doing nothing 24/7), which may eventually lead to suicide. Easy way out or not, sometimes you can't see another choice. And *no matter* what people tell you, you hear what you want to hear.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    We all have our problems, some lighter, some very serious. Getting out via suicide is so unfair to those around who love you.
  2. Read what I wrote, sometimes it's not that simple.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Read what I wrote, sometimes it's not that simple.

Indeed.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It's not just about problems, serious or not, of course.
    Kazoo
  3. Sorry to hear about what's happened, Bregt.

I can't help wonder if it's today's society that drive people to such things: it just seems to be another option to get out of a situation. Maybe it's something to do with the attitude that some youngsters have to the trials of life? I know that my daughter (and son) when they are on a video game and they come upon a problem they'd much prefer to just give up and try something easier rather than try and overcome the problem.

Maybe this translates to a real-life resolution for some people? Just give up and opt out rather than worth there way through it?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Read what I wrote, sometimes it's not that simple.

Exactly. Circumstances is everything!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Sometimes though you don't see another alternative and if it's depression it's not a case of easy or hard way out, it's a case of chemical imbalance and nothing more.

Oh, I completely understand this. If the person has a medical condition or is diagnoses with depression, etc, etc... I totally get it. But there are some that do it just to end it all and not have to deal with the difficulty that is life. Those people I really have no sympathy for.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2010
    Missed my train home. For fuck's sake.

crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, sorry to hear that! You were in maintitles half an hour before the departure!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    LSH wrote

crazy

What are you going to do now Lee? Is there another train soon?
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    It's fine, I got a train booked for tomorrow morning. No pub tonight!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    It's fine, I got a train booked for tomorrow morning. No pub tonight!

Ah, that's why you were late! You sneaky Lee! At least you had fun last night wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

crazy

I feel for you, missing the joys of a BR buffett bar must be crucifying.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010
    Day 1 with hearing aids and everything is loud and annoying. The audiologist says that this is how it will be and the brain will learn to get used to it in a few days.
    There's a program for telephone mode but I found it difficult to listen with all the noise. This is close to the entry level and it's already $1300 each. There's a 45 day period where I can decide to return it and get something else without a penalty. But the next model starts at $2100 each. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010 edited
    slant sad

My mom has hearing aids as well (very small ear-in thingies) and they indeed cost a lot of money. But it helps so much, and she has been very happy with them. The only problem is hearing in large crowds and the battery life.

I hope you find a solution Bhel, this must be unbelievably frustrating.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010
    I understand depression all too well. Perhaps we'll hook up again soon on messenger Bregt
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've been working on 4 computers and I can't remember sometimes where I put what on which computer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tom, i had the same exact issue with the same number of pc's as well. I solved it with having all my data on one portable external drive of 500gigabytes with no additional dc supply needed, just the small usb cable.

Here it is.
    http://www.plaisio.gr/Peripherals/PC-Pe … -47587.htm

Very pleased.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sounds like a great plan, I'm impressed
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Make sure you backup somewhere though 'cause external drives are sensitive.