• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010
    Damn. I thought you were really happy with your last pills, Tom?
    What happened that you have to change them again?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Medication for strokes is a guessing game. Yup they worked for a little bit and then turned on me like a scorned woman.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd laugh at that if it wasn't so serious.

Good luck with the new meds Tom, I sincerely hope they work out better.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. sdtom wrote
    Medication for strokes is a guessing game. Yup they worked for a little bit and then turned on me like a scorned woman.

Tom, I assume that you are taking medication to reduce your risk of further strokes occurring? Is the medication you are having constantly changed to deal with the downstream consequences of the stroke?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Everything is to prevent another stroke. Getting agitated increases blood pressure. They would rather have me depressed which causes the bp to go down. With 7 different meds in my system it was still 146/86. I'd be dead without the pills.

Honestly, I had a great job I loved, a nice home to live in, and good income. All taken away from me. To have died wouldn't have been so terrible. The only point I see in this life is more misery with very little pleasure.
  2. sdtom wrote
    Honestly, I had a great job I loved, a nice home to live in, and good income. All taken away from me. To have died wouldn't have been so terrible. The only point I see in this life is more misery with very little pleasure.

I'm not sure what to say about your comments here, Tom. But "horror" wouldn't be too strong a word. It concerns me that you feel this way.

It's easy for me to say some soothing words that probably make me feel better than you. I do hope though that you soon feel a bit more optimistic.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    At the end of the day we only have such limited control.
    All we can do is adapt to circumstances.

The strongest is not he who can hold on the longest to whatever he is or has, but he who can adjust the best.

You cannot help what happened, Tom.
    No one can. Life most emphatically, without cynicism or bitterness, is NOT fair.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    At the end of the day we only have such limited control.
    All we can do is adapt to circumstances.

The strongest is not he who can hold on the longest to whatever he is or has, but he who can adjust the best.

You cannot help what happened, Tom.
    No one can. Life most emphatically, without cynicism or bitterness, is NOT fair.

Good words of wisdom my friend. I'm not depressed as much as I'm discouraged.
  3. I went to buy a new mobile phone today - well everyone else in the family upgraded their own phones today - but the computer wouldn't complete the process and I had to come away without one.

Before I went to get a new phone for Rachel (for her upcoming birthday) I wasn't really bothered but once I saw what I could still get for someone who doesn't use a phone much I wanted one too!

I'll try again in a few days...
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2010
    My hand... still! Apparently I have developed a ganglion or so it seems. If it is indeed one, it needs tending which can go all the way to an operation. If it is not... then it may be something simpler or more complicated. My vote definately goes to the simpler one! I'll go to the doctor during the following days and see how it goes.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. GANGRENE??
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's much more benign than that Pawel.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    No no Pawel! Ganglion. It's like a small round sack with fluid. It's a damage of the tendons. And it's nothing for sure yet.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't tell me it's because you're writing on the blackboard with chalk yet?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Chalk, marker pens from endless preparetion, you name it. And of course countless hours working in the PC like a school secretary. And of course none of al these is aprecciated by my boss. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2010
    Typical Griechenland. And why you do them if not appreciated?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Writing on the board,getting prepared and marking papers is part of my job, so I have to and I don't regret it. I was supposed to be the school secretary for 4 hours a week to cover up for 4 hours I didn't have a class to teach to. Well, I did 15 hours a week or more and when I conplained about it I was told that there is nothing to be done. For the past few months I hade countrless fights about it with my boss and other colleaques at school and nnow I can't do anything there the see how nice it is. By the way I have to correct 35 papers for tomorrow and I'm absolutely bored!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've got that in my stroke hand big time but since I don't have to use it like I use to anymore I've learned to live with it. Typing on the computer seems to be ok with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2010 edited
    Tom, sorry to hear you are still struggling with your health.

Perhaps a stupid question, but does your doctor know you are in love? I'm sure that changes your hormone levels as well! Even if the relationship is not physical, you probably have a high level of happy-hormones or adrenaline or something in your body, which might change the effects of the medication? And like you say, it has influence on blood pressure too.

Anyway, I still think happiness is a real good medicine, so good for you! wave
  5. Bad day today!

I was told that my job/position is "at risk of redundancy". Which effectively means I've been given notice that my job will end the middle of next month. Bummer. sad

Made worse (if that's possible) by knowing that August 1st would have been my 20th Anniversary with the company.

Trying not to be too disheartened at the moment but it's hard.

Anyone want to buy some CDs? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010
    Alan I'm so sorry to hear this. Is it definite? Do you have any ideas of what you are going to do after that? Wishing you the best!
  6. Cheers!

I think they can't say it's official yet - there's what's called a "consultation" period - but I believe that it's definite. As for what to do next, it's a bit too early to tell. My first feeling is to get out of this area completely and try something else. I need to sit down and get an idea of what I want to do and what I'm good at. Or do something that doesn't require too much experience/expertise!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ow shit Alan. That is bad news. angry slant

I second Stavi's statement. All the best, and I wish you find the answer to your questions.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Very bad news. What was the job about? 20 years are a lot mate, but you have to move on. The international financial climate / job area is shit these days wherever you go.
  7. All the best, Alan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010 edited
    Holy cow. slant

Always charming how they reward loyal employees. 20 years... That is a long time.
    This really is a very poor time for a bread winner.

Some serious advice: do NOT sit down and overthink this. The only way to rise above this -and keep your sanity- is to keep on the go.
    -> contact your union representative (if you have one), the worker's counsil, your sollicitor or someone aware of the field of labour laws, and figure out what the minimum redundancy package is you'll accept.
    -> start updating your CV immediately
    -> get in touch with headhunter firms. Your chosen field and expertise should make someone interested, and they have avenues you probably do not have. Also -no idea if this is possible in your field- investigate with some colleagues the option of freelancing in your field!

Goddamn.
    I'm so angry I could cry. angry
    For me almost getting the boot after eight years nearly cracked me. I shudder to think what 20 years would do to me.
    (I did make the mistake of sitting down and overthinking this, by the way... a very, very dark couple of weeks indeed. sad I do not recommend it. Especially as you're not to blame AND the decision is out of your hands. Mulling this over and over and over again, considering the worst-case scenarios -as one does in situations like these- will blast your soul.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010
    Very sorry to hear it, Alan. I hope you have decent redundancy terms at your company and that this (which must be horrible now) will ultimately work out OK for you.
  8. I wanted to watch Kingdom of Heaven director's cut today. I have the special 4 DVD edition. I took the box, opened it to realize that the first DVD is not there. I haven't found it anywhere and I have no idea where it may be. It HAS to be in the house somewhere, but I have no idea where to look
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010
    Southall wrote
    Very sorry to hear it, Alan. I hope you have decent redundancy terms at your company and that this (which must be horrible now) will ultimately work out OK for you.

^
    What the man said, what a bummer, Alan, I hope everything works out okay.
  9. Thanks for the kind words everyone. And the advice.

Unfortunately this field doesn't seem to have unions and recently the redundancy package was changed to a less valuable package (mostly a reduction in monetary compensation for years served).

What I'm thinking of at the moment is to have a couple of days to take stock of things and try and figure out what sort of thing I want to do. This is the first time since leaving school that I've had the prospect of no work (discounting my time at uni) and any job interview I have in the future will only be my 3rd interview ever!