• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2013 edited
    My neighbour below me (who annoys me in the everyday life as well) plays some crappy chart hits REALLY loud. I've decided to play Rammstein really loud on my superior stereo as a response.

LOUDNESS WAR!

(bad for the other "innocent" neighbours, though).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2013
    Thor wrote
    My neighbour below me (who annoys me in the everyday life as well) plays some crappy chart hits REALLY loud. I've decided to play Rammstein really loud on my superior stereo as a response.

LOUDNESS WAR!

(bad for the other "innocent" neighbours, though).

punk devil punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2013 edited
    I haven't read any thread for months and wonder where to start now dizzy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2013 edited
    Glad you're back!

What kept you busy Miya? smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2013
    Argh! I'm fed up with my bike's tyres puncturing! It used to never puncture. The old tyres I had for 4 years, without a single puncture. But it got so worn out that everyone kept telling me to get a new tyre. That's what I did 4 months ago, spending a lot of money getting new tyres for both wheels. Since then I've had 9 punctures!!!

I used to cycle an average of 20 kilometers daily. Now, I've almost given it up. I don't understand how we can put a dude on the moon, but we still use the same flawed tyre system that was invented 126 years ago.

Peter crazy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My bike is gathering dust in my shed shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    My bike is gathering dust in my shed shame

But your types will just have gone flat, not punctured! wink

Gone flat and probably rotted away.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HaH! biggrin

I expect the tyres are still fine when pumped up.
  2. What's annoying me today is the lack of progress in the development of wiper blades for cars. It seems that the piece or rubber that touches the glass is flimsily glued to another piece of rubber that it attached to the metal housing for the blade.

After the recent cold spell, even though I was careful make sure that I did not try and separate the blade from the 'screen whilst any water was still frozen and sticking the blade to the glass, I was not careful enough. Now I have a piece of rubber flapping about when I use the blades. So, next dry day, I'm off to the shop to get another flimsy replacement blade.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2013 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Glad you're back!

Hmm, I forgot how much I've told about my life in this forum... Have I told you that I decided to take a PhD course in the future?

Well, let's start from March 2011... the month when I got a master's degree, did a presentation of my bird study at a conference, realized how fun this research was for me, decided not to get a job which I could have got (people might think I'm stupid), and moved out of the student residence. And of course we had that big earth quaky thing. Crazy month it was.

So I searched for a part-time job to survive until I get ready to be a PhD student. I got one in May 2011, three days a week. I also started working on writing my first article for an academic journal. In February 2012, I finally finished my article and sent it to the editor, then I spent 9 months (!) revising it according to the referees' comments. It was finally accepted in the last summer.

While writing and revising, I started to go to driving school last spring, which might have made me too busy, then I got a sort of sick and for a few months didn't do much except the part-time job and revising.

I got better after my journal article was accepted, then attended an ornithological conference and had a lot of fun, started the driving lesson again and finally got my license (which I haven't used yet! dizzy ).

I had to postpone starting PhD study, because I couldn't prepare much last year. But last December I finally found a research which I really want to participate. I'm happy about it, though I need to plan more detailed. (I need to study more!)

Last month I got another job, so I'll be financially a bit more stable this year. I hope to do "entertaining" things more than last year, like watching movies, reading books for fun (not for study), and listening to music. I do love studying and preparing for my future research, though.

And about film score and maintitles... last year it seems that I sort of lost interest in film score generally, even though I often play soundtracks in background or on train, I somehow can't get concentrated as before... I don't know, it's like music went through but not entered into my brain. I sometimes visited here and read some threads, and did a bit of posts, but somehow I couldn't be so... passionate? (but I don't mean that I want to be as passionate as Jordi's Facebook posts wink)

Maybe it's because I was too busy? Or maybe should I stop too much time spent on Twitter? wink And actually I've been got into a musical movie RENT and its songs, which distracts me from listening to other soundtracks. tongue

It sometimes got back lately, though, like when I saw The Thin Red Line finally and revisited one of my favorite scores, and when I saw The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey last friday (I'm listening to Shore's LotR now). I hope this mood will last longer!

I think I need time to just sit down and listening. Not playing it in background.

So, I'm sort of back. I'll start to post a bit on this forum again.. about animation scores, maybe? wink
  3. My car is ill again. This time it's leaking brake fluid all over the place. AA membership very welcome again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013
    Miya wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Glad you're back!

Hmm, I forgot how much I've told about my life in this forum... Have I told you that I decided to take a PhD course in the future?

That IS busy! Congrats in managing all that in the end. smile

So, I'm sort of back. I'll start to post a bit on this forum again.. about animation scores, maybe? wink

I don't know about what you're talking!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013
    Bregt wrote
    That IS busy! Congrats in managing all that in the end. smile

Thanks! smile

Bregt wroteI don't know about what you're talking!

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2013
    It's annoying me that Google is becoming more and more useless. The worst thing they have purposely done to this previously brilliant search engine is when Google assumes that I've misspelled words when I bloody haven't! If I'm interested in birds and want something containing the word "beak", it gives me tons of results with the word "break" instead. What's the point of a search engine if it doesn't give you what you search for?

Another way that it has gotten worse is that more and more people know how to take adavantage of the way Google works, to get their websites higher up on Google. They add tons of words that have nothing to do with their site, so when I search I very frequently get tons of irrelevant sites. I don't remember it ever being this bad.

Are there any search engines out there that work as well as Google used to in the old days?

Peter moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    Another way that it has gotten worse is that more and more people know how to take adavantage of the way Google works, to get their websites higher up on Google. They add tons of words that have nothing to do with their site, so when I search I very frequently get tons of irrelevant sites. I don't remember it ever being this bad.

Actually that doesn't work any more.
    (I know because I've been looking into search engine ranking (or SEO as it's known: the O stands for Optimisation, I think), and Google does not use "added words" for indexing any more *at all*.
    In fact they use an incredibly complex algorithm based on the page ranking, user feedback, textual recurrence, automated relevance of key words to calculate page relevance and ranking. It's nigh impossible to manipulate.

I have to say that I never have this problem!
    Google always yields *exactly* what I need , and usually on the first search page as well (and I look into some extremely obscure subjects at time. Honestly. Probably the FBI, the Mossad and the KGB have files on me. Yikes.).

But I totally agree on the "autocorrect" thingy. VERY annoying.
    Isn't that a setting you can adjust, though? I haven't looked, but I seem to remember something like that...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    Actually that doesn't work any more.
    (I know because I've been looking into search engine ranking (or SEO as it's known: the O stands for Optimisation, I think), and Google does not use "added words" for indexing any more *at all*.
    In fact they use an incredibly complex algorithm based on the page ranking, user feedback, textual recurrence, automated relevance of key words to calculate page relevance and ranking. It's nigh impossible to manipulate.

That's interesting. I've seen several places talk about various tricks to get websites higher up on Google, but perhaps they're all outdated...

I frequently search for specific words and sentences and when I click on the sites they're no where to be found. I'm not sure why that happens, but it does make me feel deceived.

Martijn wrote
    I have to say that I never have this problem!
    Google always yields *exactly* what I need , and usually on the first search page as well (and I look into some extremely obscure subjects at time. Honestly. Probably the FBI, the Mossad and the KGB have files on me. Yikes.).

Perhaps it's because we search for different things, or perhaps your google fu is simply stronger than mine. My google-fu powers have always been strong though, but I've found it increasingly difficult these past months. If I come across a good example in a near future google search, I'll post it here.

Martijn wrote
    But I totally agree on the "autocorrect" thingy. VERY annoying.
    Isn't that a setting you can adjust, though? I haven't looked, but I seem to remember something like that...

If there's a settting like that, that might be the best news I've heard this year. Would make my life so much simpler. I'll try to google for it.

Peter smile
  4. plindboe wrote

If there's a settting like that, that might be the best news I've heard this year. Would make my life so much simpler. I'll try to google for it.

Peter smile

This link should meet your desire:

http://www.google.de/webhp?hl=de&complete=0

Change google.de to google.com if that does not happen automatically.

Greetings!
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2013 edited
    Thanks a lot, Volker.

Not sure it works though. When I search for | mutation "shorter toes" beak | then not only is "break" highlighted in the search results but even the word "breakpoint". I think one has to be pretty drunk if one intends to write "breakpoint" and spells it "beak".

I have managed to find a way to avoid google thinking that I'm a dyslexic drunk. One "simply" has to use quotation marks around each word. So the search results for | "mutation" "shorter toes" "beak" | produces the results I was looking for.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2013
    This doesn't "annoy" me, but where is the thread for stuff that bothers you a little bit?

Right now, I'm a bit nervous because I'm going on a first date with someone in 30 minutes. Haven't been on a date in God knows how long. What should I do? WHAT SHOULD I DO?! OH, THE HUMANITY!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    This doesn't "annoy" me, but where is the thread for stuff that bothers you a little bit?

Right now, I'm a bit nervous because I'm going on a first date with someone in 30 minutes. Haven't been on a date in God knows how long. What should I do? WHAT SHOULD I DO?! OH, THE HUMANITY!

Don't offer to show her your score collection. Also don't get drunk.

Just relax and have a good time!

All the best!
    Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Make sure you ask her bra size and what side of the bed she likes to sleep on.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Only a minor irritation. Someone just parked outside next door with the windows wound down thinking everyone wanted to hear his suped-up car sound system pumping out cRap, I had one glorious image of Godzilla's foot plunging from above and squahing it flat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Don't offer to show her your score collection. Also don't get drunk.

I'd pay more attention to the former than the latter, but both statements are pretty darn good advice!

Timmer wrote
    Only a minor irritation. Someone just parked outside next door with the windows wound down thinking everyone wanted to hear his suped-up car sound system pumping out cRap, I had one glorious image of Godzilla's foot plunging from above and squahing it flat.

applause
    Oh, but I DO like your frame of reference!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2013 edited
    He, he...good tips, guys!

I didn't get drunk, but slightly intoxicated after two strong specialty beers. Fortunately, she also likes to drink beer -- even on a regular Thursday -- so we had a good tone. She was a bit too "hyper active" for my taste, but it was fine overall. I don't see a relationship in this, but it was great to DATE again. Makes you feel alive.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2013
    Thor Get's Romantic

I'm sure you'll get the irony here Thunderer biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2013
    Thor how did it go buddy?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2013
    Coughing at midnight. I can't sleep! I've been having this almost every night since last week when I caught a cold. But today it's worse than before... I feel better when not lying down slant

So I decided to wake up and listening to a score (whose name I don't think needed to mention here wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The Barrons' Forbidden Planet?
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Possible wink
  6. Martijn wrote
    The Barrons' Forbidden Planet?
    wink

Actually that would have been a marvelous choice. I might have choosen "Solaris", both by Artemiev and Martinez.