• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Recently purchased:

- Dawn of the Dead (blu-ray)
    - Galaxy Quest (blu-ray)
    - Night at the Museum (blu-ray)
    - Night at the Museum: Battle at the Smithsonian (blu-ray)
    - Stargate: 15th Anniversary edition (blu-ray)
    - Tremors (blu-ray)

And with Back to the Future, Backdraft, The Crazies, How to Train your Dragon and Inception waiting around the corner, it's going to be a blu-ray fantastic finish to 2010 biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010 edited
    So I've received the Alien Anthology earlier this week. This set comes absolutely loaded with great content. Numerous bonus features which will take days to go through, the 4 films of which the first two are completely remastered in HD video and audio, each film having the theatrical cut & alternate (longer) cut.

On top of that, and this is great for us soundtrack buffs, each film containing the final isolated score, as well as Alien and Aliens having the isolated score as originally intended by the composer. cheesy

You ever wanted to hear Horner's unused Combat Drop cue, while the scene plays out, this set makes it possible. Wish I could somehow capture it, so I could show it to you guys, it's pretty awesome and I can totally understand why it went unused. It just doesn't work in the scene, and the minimalist drums work a lot better in creating uneasy tension. But to have the option is pretty darn cool ! cool

I might as well say this is my all-time favourite saga, even surpassing the original Star Wars trilogy. My life would have been far worse without the first two gems, and I even like part 3 and 4. I can just watch these films over and over, and I'll be totally entertained and thrilled every time.

Now that the set is out, I can safely say this is my best DVD / blu-ray purchase of the year. Nothing else comes close !!! punk

But I wish I could somehow listen to the isolated scores track per track, I can only choose scene per scene from the menu. If someone knows how to do that, please post it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010 edited
    I received the new Space : 1999 - Season 1 (blu-ray) set earlier this week from Network .
    The image is absolutely fantastic , Network did a fab job with the remastering and stuff !
    The show has never looked better ! The set is also loaded with lots of extras .
    A must buy for any fan of the show !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010 edited
    - Fly Away Home (1996) blu-ray

One of my favourite 'feel good' movies and a fabulous score by Mr. Isham !

- Defiance (2008) blu-ray

An entertaining and suspenseful film starring Daniel Craig as Tuvia Bielski who with his brother leads a band of Jewish forest partisans during World War II ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  2. Eric wrote
    - Fly Away Home (1996) blu-ray

One of my favourite 'feel good' movies and a fabulous score by Mr. Isham !

Very lovely film and score indeed, the young Anna Paquin is so endearing...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    So I've received the Alien Anthology earlier this week. This set comes absolutely loaded with great content. Numerous bonus features which will take days to go through, the 4 films of which the first two are completely remastered in HD video and audio, each film having the theatrical cut & alternate (longer) cut.

On top of that, and this is great for us soundtrack buffs, each film containing the final isolated score, as well as Alien and Aliens having the isolated score as originally intended by the composer. cheesy

You ever wanted to hear Horner's unused Combat Drop cue, while the scene plays out, this set makes it possible. Wish I could somehow capture it, so I could show it to you guys, it's pretty awesome and I can totally understand why it went unused. It just doesn't work in the scene, and the minimalist drums work a lot better in creating uneasy tension. But to have the option is pretty darn cool ! cool

I might as well say this is my all-time favourite saga, even surpassing the original Star Wars trilogy. My life would have been far worse without the first two gems, and I even like part 3 and 4. I can just watch these films over and over, and I'll be totally entertained and thrilled every time.

Now that the set is out, I can safely say this is my best DVD / blu-ray purchase of the year. Nothing else comes close !!! punk

But I wish I could somehow listen to the isolated scores track per track, I can only choose scene per scene from the menu. If someone knows how to do that, please post it.

punk punk

Still waiting for my version... as soon as I've got mine, I'll figure out how to listen to the full isolated scores. I've read on a forum you can do it through the MU-THER mode, but as I haven't seen it yet, I can't explain it. Will get back to it smile.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010 edited
    After saying goodbye to a friend tonight, I casually checked the mailbox not really expecting anything, only to discover that THE ALIEN ANTHOLOGY HAS ARRIVED! punk

And to get back on the isolated score thingy, my American edition contains a users guide for the MU-TH-UR mode, which describes the options for the isolated score listen as follows:

Listen to 5.1 Dolby Digital music tracks of the Alien films two ways: Either while watching the theatrical version of your chosen film or directly from the Isolated Score Index, which also gives you access to additional bonus tracks and the ability to randomize music. You may also hear how the composers originally intended their music to be presented on both Alien and Aliens.

So, there have to be more options than just hearing it scene by scene. More on this as soon as I've been playing with it myself...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010 edited
    GILLES, concerning the listening option of the isolated scores for the ALIEN films, do as follows:

1) Go to Extra's
    2) Select the Isolated Score option
    3) You now get to select 'yes' or 'no'. Instead, press 'right'. You will now see the option Complete Music Index
    4) You now get a complete overview of the cues for the film as if its a tracklisting, and the options: PLAY ALL, PLAY SELECTED or SHUFFLE. This allows you to listen to all the cues just like a CD (be it with the film in the background, but with a title overlay on it of the cue that's playing).
  3. Bob, it works, thanks a lot for your post. I just didn't know you could go right to an index screen. Pretty sweet feature and for a fan such as myself a must-have !!!!

Enjoy your anthology, I know I will too! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    Jup, it almost feels like an easter egg, you have to know that it's there in order to do it! And I'll certainly enjoy it! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2010 edited
    Just ordered the TWIN PEAKS DVD Gold box set on a campaign offer from cdon.com.

My favourite series of all time, can't wait to revisit it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2010
    Great music too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Great music too.

Most definitely. Inspired me to write a friggin' novel in the 90's (rotting away in a drawer somewhere)! I said this to Badalamenti in Ghent, to which he replied "you should make a film out of it and give me a call!". smile
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Purchased online:

- Dave on DVD
    - Scent of a Woman on Blu-Ray
    - Three Kings on Blu-Ray
  5. Bought the recently released 3 DVD release of Avatar. I've not seen this myself yet but the rest of the family have.

Seemed to be a bargain at under £10.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. I'm getting the blu-ray of Avatar CE myself. The longer cut of the film is what interests me most, but the plethora of extra's are the icing on the cake. I'd love to see the real live actors playing their parts and being mo-capped in a weird looking studio and how it translates in the final film, like they're really there.

This will have to do until the 3D release is out, not that I'm waiting for it. 2D is still okay with me. cool
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    I'm getting the blu-ray of Avatar CE myself. The longer cut of the film is what interests me most, but the plethora of extra's are the icing on the cake. I'd love to see the real live actors playing their parts and being mo-capped in a weird looking studio and how it translates in the final film, like they're really there.

This will have to do until the 3D release is out, not that I'm waiting for it. 2D is still okay with me. cool

and to make my brother happy

- Avatar Collector's Edition on blu-ray
    - How to Train your Dragon on blu-ray

punk
  8. Oy thanks a lot little brother. That's how we do things, you buy the shit, I get to keep the shit. tongue

And let's see how to train a dragon then, I prefer that over kung-fu'ing panda's. beer
  9. Purchased

- Mao's Last Dancer (DVD) (blind buy but I know deep down it's good, because I know the wonderful music is going to elevate this wink )
    - SALT (blu-ray) the movie looks fun, and from what I've read the blu-ray audio and visual kicks ass
    - The Universe (Documentary) (blu-ray) christmas present for my father wink

- and 2 Christmas presents for my brother too, but considering he wanders through these corridors, I'm keeping this a secret for now tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010
    You think he'd like 2 DVDs of the Care Bears Retrospective (hosted by Terry Wogan) though?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...and cheaper than telly Tubby collectables.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    - SALT (blu-ray) the movie looks fun, and from what I've read the blu-ray audio and visual kicks ass

vomit
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. Timmer wrote

hey, as long as the visual and audio is fine, we might just buy it wink
  11. Martijn wrote
    You think he'd like 2 DVDs of the Care Bears Retrospective (hosted by Terry Wogan) though?

You know where to get those? I've been looking for these for 20 years. I'm getting more than a little desperate. sad

Timmer wrote

I just started collecting them. Those 4 little buggers are a lot of fun... punk
  12. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

vomit

Have you noticed bro, most of the times when a movie makes Demetris vomit, we tend to like it.

Now either that says something about him, or us... tongue
  13. DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

vomit

Have you noticed bro, most of the times when a movie makes Demetris vomit, we tend to like it.

Now either that says something about him, or us... tongue

yay, we're gonna like SALT punk
  14. I reckon also. Can't be worse than the Tomb Raider films, can it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2010
    Not really, it's not that bad. But it's not good either.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2010
    My recent dvd purchases:

Paha Maa
    Smultronstället
    De Ofrivilliga
    Falkehjerte
    Pelikaanimies
    Tillsammans
    Ostře Sledované Vlaky
    Tmavomodrý Svět
    Rocco e i Suoi Fratelli
    I Due Superpiedi Quasi Piatti
    Meditterano
    Il Cuore Altrove
    Prova D'Orchestre
    La Niña de Tus Ojos
    Het Zwijgen
    Ver van Familie
    Vox Populi
    Kôkaku Kidôtai 2.0
    Dodesukaden
    Wu Ji
    Yogen
    Chin Gei Bin
    Feng Yu Jue
    Bang-Rajan
    Qianxi Manbo
    Fanfan la Tulipe
    Central do Brasil
  15. Your keyboard seems to be broken - I don't understand any of that.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn