• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    The situation will be assessed and it's predicted flights may be starting again tomorrow.

Well, no flights today in England whatsoever. I've been put on a flight scheduled for tomorrow morning, even though many are predicting the disruption could last well into the weekend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    In fact, nobody really has a clue when it will end: apparently it's a self-perpetuating eruption, with the hot clouds melting the glaciers, ice of which falls into the crater triggering new eruptions. slant

It's a bit of a worst case scenario, really.
    Oh, and the french rail workers have decided this would be a wonderful time to go on strike, so anyone trying to get to the UK from mainland Europe is pretty much f*cked. rolleyes
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Re: Volcanic ash from Iceland.

I read something someone had posted on the BBC website that made me laugh. They were emphasising to the Icelanders that the UK had asked for CASH!

biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I heard this one:

I don't think the Iceland Meteorological Office are taking the problem seriously. Just heard this instruction when I phoned up for information:

"To speak to an operator, please press the ASH key."
  2. LSH wrote
    I heard this one:

I don't think the Iceland Meteorological Office are taking the problem seriously. Just heard this instruction when I phoned up for information:

"To speak to an operator, please press the ASH key."

biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There just seems to be an excess of climatic changes lately.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    From The Guardian yesterday:

Jerry O'Callaghan, 50, from Cork, returning from a holiday in America, said: "We were just about to board when they cancelled the flight. We thought we were on our way really … they should have better equipment. It's only a load of ash. The mechanics should be able to take it in this modern world."

Wise words there from Jerry, disguised as idiocy.

Patrick Keys, 70, returning home to Dublin from a holiday in Cape Town, South Africa, via Heathrow, said: "I think they over-reacted. The skies were totally clear. There didn't seem to be any problem. It seems to be a panic for no reason."

Well thanks for bothering to share your fucking views, Patrick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Thor wrote
    I'm glad I made it back from London JUST in time, but I'm a bit worried about my Budapest trip on May 22. Don't these things usually last for MONTHS?

What are you doing in Budapest? Just a trip?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    keky wrote
    Thor wrote
    I'm glad I made it back from London JUST in time, but I'm a bit worried about my Budapest trip on May 22. Don't these things usually last for MONTHS?

What are you doing in Budapest? Just a trip?

Yeah, just a trip with some friends (well, really, just ONE close friend, the others are friends of HIS). I'm also seeing Jean Michel Jarre in the Sports Arena on the following Monday, which will be my fourth Jarre concert.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010 edited
    Right! Keky lives in Hungary (Budapest)!

We really need a map with geolocations of our members. Then we can centralize te highest concentration and do a MainTitles Kazoo flash mob. punk

LSH wrote

Jerry O'Callaghan, 50, from Cork, returning from a holiday in America, said: "We were just about to board when they cancelled the flight. We thought we were on our way really … they should have better equipment. It's only a load of ash. The mechanics should be able to take it in this modern world."

Patrick Keys, 70, returning home to Dublin from a holiday in Cape Town, South Africa, via Heathrow, said: "I think they over-reacted. The skies were totally clear. There didn't seem to be any problem. It seems to be a panic for no reason."

biggrin biggrin biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2010
    LSH wrote

Yeah Einsten. Tell the stupid head to read this.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/rec … 19820624-0
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m … _n6280435/
    http://www.ofcm.gov/homepage/text/spc_p … lash2.html
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. One definite positive from all the planes being grounded is the lack of contrails in the sky. We've had a beautifully clear and sunny day in North Wales today and I found myself just staring into the sky and looking at the unbroken blueness from horizon to horizon.

Lovely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010 edited
    And then there's also this
    http://volcanism.wordpress.com/2010/03/ … eighbours/

If that happens, we're screwed! shocked

History has proven it does repeat itself.

And some awesome pictures
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/0 … lcano.html
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010
    Stunning pics!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bregt wrote
    Right! Keky lives in Hungary (Budapest)!

We really need a map with geolocations of our members. Then we can centralize te highest concentration and do a MainTitles Kazoo flash mob. punk

LSH wrote

biggrin biggrin biggrin

Not a bad idea at all Bregt although I fear an under representation from the US.
    Thomas
  4. Some people decided to have some fun and gave the volcano a Twitter account. Posts include admitting that the whole thing is about dealing with emotional issues and being shocked that smoking outdoors is illegal in the EU biggrin

The situation with airspace influenced the funeral of our president today at 2 PM European time. Among people who called off their attendance is Barack Obama.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The situation with airspace influenced the funeral of our president today at 2 PM European time. Among people who called off their attendance is Barack Obama.

Some pictures here about the funeral and grief in Poland
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/0 … rning.html
    (I know, I just love that website)
    Kazoo
  5. I've just thought of something that has brought into sharp relief just how disastrous the Icelandic volcano is: no flights to the UK is going to delay me getting my copy of RoboCop!
    sad
  6. Holy jeepers, you're right Alan !!!!! shocked

There will be some major delays in international delivery. sad

Wish I was a US citizen right now only to get my package in time.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010
    I've just heard that there is a serious political crisis in Belguim and that the government has resigned. Bregt was is going on?
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yeah. It's quite complicated and I don't understand it all myself. I'll give it a try (correct me if I'm wrong)

In Belgium, we have two main languages; Flemish (Dutch) and French (and also German). The country is divided by a language barrier, which is written and defined exactly by law. This means that Belgium has a federal government (for the whole country), and and three parts (Flemish, French and German) also have a more localised government. Then we have also Brussels, our capital, which is located in the Dutch part, but obviously, is also a the capital for the French and German speaking population. So, Brussels has three governments as well.

Naturally, this creates a better division of laws and structure. But this also creates problems. Due to this Brussels not being in the French part, a lot of French speaking people have moved over the past couple of decennia to the region around Brussels, resulting in cities in this region getting more French than Dutch, while they're actually Flemish. The laws in these Flemish towns require that local governmental communication happens in the language of the law. Due to more people being French, this is just madness. Therefore, facility towns have been created about 30 years ago, to enable both French and Flemish.

The biggest problem is respect though, from both sides. The French refuse to speak Flemish (hautain as they've always been) and ask that this small area becomes French territory (Wallony). The Flemish fear Brussels will be taken over by the French speaking and require equal laws. The French don't want that and other things... And then I lost track as well...

Anyway, this is the third time the government is in crisis since 2008 (and the last elections in 2007). So, you can guess I'm getting tired of this.

dizzy slant angry
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Oh God! I've got a headache! dizzy
    You quite right to be fed up with the situation! I hope everything will work out!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010 edited
    Each side has one or two political parties that want Belgium to cease to exist (the fundamentalists). I don't want that to happen, but each time such event occurs, we're getting a little closer to total failure and the existence of Belgium.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    So much division inside such a small country!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yeah, it's to be ashamed of sometimes.

I'm against this btw. wink A lot of people want this separation though. Note that Flanders has always been a bit mistreated in history so this comes naturally. But I prefer to be Belgian, or even more, European. Will work so much better in the end.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Don't worry.
    We've had to buy Greece.
    We'll buy Belgium next. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. You're already doing it, you're taking over our enterprises.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I'm afraid that in a few months there won't be any Greece left to buy. Actually there won't be any Greeks! All these new financial laws there passing and the further cutting down of our salaries is going to send as to the grave.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It sounded that the air flights were returning to normal. We had a similiar situation earlier in the year when that massive snowstorm hit the east coast and shut everything down for awhile.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    I'm afraid that in a few months there won't be any Greece left to buy. Actually there won't be any Greeks! All these new financial laws there passing and the further cutting down of our salaries is going to send as to the grave.

Hmmm...so could I, like, maybe put in a good bid for some Greeks then?