• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    Stavroula wrote
    Things have calmed down now I hope that logic is going to prevail. I know it's not nice to have to pay for another country but it so happens it's Greece, it could have been another one and I don't want to upset you but Portugal and Spain are in the row too. And you know who are the ones who should really shut their face up? All these unspeakable financial houses like Moody's and Standar and Pool's who haven't stop for a minute saying that the euro is going to collapse. Their constant bickering in one of the reasons who have brought fragile economies like ours, Spain's, and Portugal's close to destruction.

yeah
    Nothing to add. Spot on, Stavi.

For now though I wish those Greek anarchists would all spontaneously contract a case of the runs for a fortnight or so.
    All of them.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010 edited
    Those cliques' goal is to kill the Euro. The plan's going all well up until now it seems.

Stavi, it's not just the politician's fault.

Modern Greeks have been looking out for themselves alone all these years, caring only for our asses, stealing whatever we could from the government and from the human next to us, working as little as we could and dreaming of a career in the government so we could rest our asses on a permanent and steady salary without actually being productive, and electing blindly, based on idiotic political parties' following which stemmed down to us from our fathers and mothers like genes, without researching who we elected into the government, if they deserve it or not; this resulted in a series of corrupted governments running the country and eventually destroying all its goods and ex-wealth.

Every nation has the leadership they deserve. Our own selves is what's reflected in the faces of the corrupted governments we elected all these years. It's a lot easier for ourselves if we continue to blame someone else all the time for all our problems (trademarked neo-Greek behavior) but the time (and events show it) has come to actually sit down and judge ourselves.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010
    My parents never taught me that working for the government is what is going to save me for the rest of my life! Nor my brother who too works for the government. We chose to do it because we decided that this was the best way to help our country and do our jobs with the maximum benefit for the others too. And I'm not the only one so it's not good to generalise. I don't deserve this leadership and many more don't either. And the quickest we realise this the better. So let's don't blame the others for our problems but let's don't blame ourselves for everything too.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am not targeting you or your family Stavi, my mother is also a teacher and works for the government too and so does my sister and many of my relatives. But there's a lot of people here (the majority is, actually) who just want to get into a permanent position in the government so they can lay on their asses, work less without worrying about proving themselves to any boss and / or being continuously tested with the risk of getting fired etc etc. In Greece, this is the majority of the cases, to βόλεμα στο δημόσιο που λέμε, you know this is the case with most people, especially in large urban areas, like Thessaloniki and Athens for instance. Most modern Greeks have been cheating continuously towards the irs and taxes, stealing the person next to them and the government, and you know that political polarizing and voting a worthless party just because our parents did too, is also a norm here. Don't forget that after 1974, no government has taken their place via militaristic means or force, but it was elected by people who have been voting for them and placing them there. I am not saying we are to blame alone, but they are not to blame alone either. Don't look at the extremes, there's always the middle ground, the realism, and we are to blame too for our own situation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    And right now you and me are doing the common mistake. We sit here talking about it and do nothing more than that. Am I wrong? If you and I who don't think like most do nothing the situation is not going to change, is it? I'm a teacher and damn it I didn't know what to tell my students today! Go, study, pass your university exams and then go to work so they can steal your dignity or burn you alive! So I chose to do something else. I told then to listen to noone but themselves and fight for their future peacefully and for the good of their country which needs all of us with fresh minds and hearts.
    I refuse to be counted as one of the many and I won't be.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    we are to blame too for our own situation.

At large, yes.
    And this -as per usual- is the real tragedy: it's the people who made the carefully considered choices, the people who want to make a difference, the people who want to contribute to society, in short, the GOOD people who now get it right up to ass due to a number of lazy, easy-way-out, nepotist, semi-corrupt lackeys.

In that sense D. is very right (and indeed I fully agree with his analyses): the system should take a very long, hard look at itself how things got to this point. But of course that would include looking in the mirror, something no society enjoys.
    And so it's easier to use to big brush to paint all civil servants as lazy and corrupt, and for anarchists and communists to blame the Euro and Germany.

Fingerpointing is such a beloved tool. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    And right now you and me are doing the common mistake. We sit here talking about it and do nothing more than that. Am I wrong? If you and I who don't think like most do nothing the situation is not going to change, is it? I'm a teacher and damn it I didn't know what to tell my students today! Go, study, pass your university exams and then go to work so they can steal your dignity or burn you alive! So I chose to do something else. I told then to listen to noone but themselves and fight for their future peacefully and for the good of their country which needs all of us with fresh minds and hearts.
    I refuse to be counted as one of the many and I won't be.

Getting closed to ourselves, looking our own interest only and not caring and collaborating with the human next to us, is what brought us here. Continuing to do so will only make things worse and recycle history once again.

We have to criticize us, and change ourselves first, if we want the rest to do so as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    damn it I didn't know what to tell my students today! Go, study, pass your university exams and then go to work so they can steal your dignity or burn you alive! So I chose to do something else.

Tell THEM what you're telling US.
    "Study. Pass your exams. CONTRIBUTE. MAKE A DIFFERENCE. REFUSE THE OLD WAYS. REFUSE THE DESTRUCTION.
    You want change?
    It starts RIGHT HERE. With yourself.
    YOU are the ones who will need to make it happen.
    The old ways have failed and are failing still.
    Do not kling to the past. Learn from it.
    Don't push out the new. Investigate it.
    And do no harm.
    DO.
    NO.
    HARM."

That's the only message there is to convey right now.
    If YOU give in to cynicism or despair (however understandable), what will your students do?
    Be to them what you are to us, and to yourself.
    This is a time to rise above yourselves, if Greece is to regain its dignity, its honour and its worth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn is completely, 100% right here and i am in utter agreement with him. Modern neo-Greek mentality of stealing ourselves, our tourism, the human next to us, the government, working less and less each and every year and demanding more which we didn't deserve, caring only for asses and nothing else, and electing incompetent governments for 30 years just because of hereditary voting tendencies and blind polarizing and fanaticism is what brought this to ourselves. If we don't change this mentality, and follow in the old and provenly failed past, is going to bring only more and bigger disasters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Tell THEM what you're telling US.
    "Study. Pass your exams. CONTRIBUTE. MAKE A DIFFERENCE. REFUSE THE OLD WAYS. REFUSE THE DESTRUCTION.
    You want change?
    It starts RIGHT HERE. With yourself.
    YOU are the ones who will need to make it happen.
    The old ways have failed and are failing still.
    Do not kling to the past. Learn from it.
    Don't push out the new. Investigate it.
    And do no harm.
    DO.
    NO.
    HARM."

That's the only message there is to convey right now.
    If YOU give in to cynicism or despair (however understandable), what will your students do?
    Be to them what you are to us, and to yourself.
    This is a time to rise above yourselves, if Greece is to regain its dignity, its honour and its worth.

Whoaw boy down! I've said that long before you tell me to! And even if I'm cynical or in despair it's when I'm in my won house and not when I have to do with the future which has been entrusted to me, so no need to tell me, in a good way always, what to do. (Between you and me, I don't like that since I were I child wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I know. But I am really, really good at telling people what to do. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    And I'm really, really good at getting angry when they tell me what to do! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    All women are actually wink :kisses:
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    And I'm really, really good at getting angry when they tell me what to do! wink

Yeah, there's the rub.
    Although I'm really, really good, nobody ever actually listens to me. slant

It's the tragedy of my young life. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    our market at one point today was down over a 1000 points. this is not good
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2010
    ^ Turns out that was a computer / employee error; somebody lost his job...oh oh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2010 edited
    The story indeed is that a trader mistakenly entered a 16 billion dollar order rather than a 16 million dollar order...
    Oh dear. slant
    This strengthens me in my convictions all stock exchanges should be shut down for a year or so.
    This is starting to get ridiculous! The world's economy is now a fully psycho-emotional pseudo-science.
  1. A friend of mine (with an MA in the field) defined economy simply as social psychology.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    The story indeed is that a trader mistakenly entered a 16 billion dollar order rather than a 16 million dollar order...
    Oh dear. slant
    This strengthens me in my convictions all stock exchanges should be shut down for a year or so.
    This is starting to get ridiculous! The world's economy is now a fully psycho-emotional pseudo-science.

The fragility of the economy
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Debts, and which countries are in trouble. Who's at the top? Surprise! Who follows? See for yourselves.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Moz08RhEWgo/S … shot_5.png

Congrats to Australia btw.
  2. There is a theory that in some time US will be following Greece in the financial issues.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010 edited
    Gordon Brown resigns and David Cameron takes office as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/ … 675265.stm
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LSH wrote
    Gordon Brown resigns and David Cameron takes office as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

I'm quite indifferent, to be honest, as I don't think any of the candidates were particularly engaging. In terms of policies, I would probably have voted for Nick Clegg. Anyways, Brown has basically had the charisma of a sponge in his tenure as prime minister, so at least Cameron will be a refreshing change for you guys.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010
    Thor wrote
    Anyways, Brown has basically had the charisma of a sponge in his tenure as prime minister...

I actually hope people make a more rational assessment of Gordon Brown now - the demonising of him has been ridiculous.

...so at least Cameron will be a refreshing change for you guys.

Well I'll just say that our only hope now is that Gordon Brown had the foresight to leave a bear-trap behind the door of No. 10.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    So you preferred Brown?

I have not really followed these elections though. Conservatives won right? I always thought that isn't really a good idea (at least here).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not too keen on Conservatives either. Liberal Democrats first, then Labour, then Tories. But I was really just talking about charisma and "political presence" on the international scene, which is what I - as a non-Brit - have to go by in my assessment.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010 edited
    LSH wrote

Billy fucking Bunter vomit

seperated at birth from Mr Punch
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010 edited
    I'd like to torch the whole fucking nest.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010
    Downing Street staff react to David Cameron's arrival at No. 10...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kegMwS0VLSs
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010
    Tories are back! Yay!
    Cameron hasn't a sixth of the charisma Thatcher had, but that's still almost fourteen times as much as Major.
    Finally, everything is going to come up roses again!
    For a start I suggest declaring war on France.

...what? Is my reactionary side showing?