• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010
    One of the more backward things we use in the 21st Century is the gasoline engine. Why? All about money. Who'll pay for this latest mess in the gulf? We will with higher prices at the pump.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    If there's one thing I feel we really should get cracking at, it's the search for new, more sustainable forms of energy.
    Anything that takes the onus away from oil will have a major positive impact on the world. Not just ecxologically, but socially and politically as well (with current global politics pussyfooting around the most repressive and disgusting regimes in the world only to ensure oil continuity).

I was very disappointed when Shell some years ago, under the auspices of Dutch Jeroen Veerman, announced their withdrawal from researching and investing in alternative energy (citing as a reason that fossil fuel was their core business, and Shell should focus on that).

Not the finest hour for the Dutch or for Shell. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    That said, new species of plants and insects are pretty much discovered every day.

True, but how many species that could be vacines, cures for cancers etc may never be discovered.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    How will we know until they're discovered? smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010
    Martijn, you and I know why they withdrew the research. It is nicknamed black gold for a reason. A gas station in the US is really a convenience store. They sell gas with the hope you come in and buy something marked up 300%. They don't really make money on gas. People will drive 3 or 4 miles to save a penny on gas. 10 gallons of gas=10 cents, wow! Can you honestly think of anything more backward?
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010
    The Dow closed over 10,000 after dipping below. It is a key # and its good that it did
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is BP seriously leaking fuel from another channel in Alaska this time???
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    not sure
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010
    Bregt wrote
    The Euro is only 1.2 Dollar at the moment. The lowest in 14 months! This is getting really bad. slant

In the news today was also said that each Belgian had to pay 300 EUR for Greece (since we donate 3 billion)...

Good news!
    The European Parliament is putting together a quick and decisive action plan!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010
    I wish great hurt upon them.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. That should stop MP downloads of content deemed unsavoury (as applied by Apple's filtering) pretty much dead.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010 edited
    News on the Polish plane crash:

Seems like a horrible controlled flight into terrain which resulted from pilot error and loss of situational awareness in poor weather.

On Jun 1st 2010 Poland's government released the original Russian transcript (scans of paper copies) at: http://www.kprm.gov.pl/files/news/downl … 407739.pdf

According to the transcript the flight went pretty normal. The secretary to Poland's President entered the cockpit about 20 minutes prior to impact asking about the state of flight and received the news that there was thick fog in Smolensk, commented, that's not good. The captain explained, that they would try one approach which most likely will lead to nothing, then enter a holding for up to 30 minutes before diverting to either Minsk or Witebsk. Five minutes later the secretary advised that the president has not yet made a decision where to divert in case the approach fails. The crew was aware of the fog as well as the diversion of the Russian Ilyushin. The captain briefed, that they were going to make the approach and if necessary go-around on autopilot, when the navigator advised visibility had reduced to 200 meters. 75 seconds prior to end of recording the TAWS sounds "Terrain Ahead!", 30 seconds later "PULL UP! PULL UP!" as the airplane descends through 100 meters (call out from navigator). At 80 meters the first officer calls "go around" following the third "PULL UP!". When the airplane descended through 50 meters the tower called "Altitude Check!", the sound of hitting trees was recorded as the navigator called 20 meters, at the same time tower radioes "Go Around!" before screams are heard and the recording ends.

from avherald.com
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. sad
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010
    Just switched on the news...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10214661.stm

Terrible.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    12 dead so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Terrible stuff. I thought this only happened in the US...
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Have you never heard of Hungerford or Dunblane, Thor?
  3. Timmer wrote
    12 dead so far.

Terrible indeed. A colleague at work has a few anxious hours trying to contact friends/relatives (I'm not sure which) in Whitehaven. I hope things work out for the best for her.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Have you never heard of Hungerford or Dunblane, Thor?

Afraid not. Are those places in England?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010 edited
    Hungerford's in England - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungerford

Dunblane's in Scotland - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_massacre

Reading the details that the Dunblane killer's are still unknown after almost 15 years, it doesn't bode well that we'll ever know what triggered today's events.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
  4. Snap!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010
    I don't know if anybody knew but

Belgian dredging companies (such as the world leading Jan De Nul and DEME) have the technology to help clean up the mess much faster (half of the time) than the Americans.

In May 2010, both of the Belgian companies have made several proposals to BP and the US Army Corps of Engineers to help tackle the oil spill in the Mexican Gulf.

For every aspect of the clean up, these companies have proven technology which is far superior to their American counterparts.

Jan De Nul and DEME propose to bring 1 special type of vessel into action.

In short: It consists of a unique, gigantic vessel which is equipped with a 2 km long pipe, which is normally used to dump rocks at 2km depth when laying down pipelines on the ocean-floor. The diameter is a lot bigger than the one BP is using right now to vacuum up the oil.

Both firms also own vessels that can vacuum oil stains at a depth of 500 feet (around 150 meters).

They can be ready for operation in only 11 days!

BUT: the Jones act (1920) prevents foreign companies from operating in US coastal waters.
    Therefore, these Belgian companies are not allowed to operate...

Because of the fact that this disaster has serious INTERNATIONAL consequences, we demand that INTERNATIONAL HELP is allowed in the area of the Mexican Gulf!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hm
    Waivers for the Jones Act have been granted in cases of emergencies of disasters.
    In 2007 an oil rig was towed by Chinese ships from Mexico to Alaska because the Americans couldn't do it themselves.

I have no idea why these Belgian companies were denied, but it's naught to do with the Jones Act necessarily blocking them. Although it may be used as a pretext, certainly.

I'm sensing BP or the US is not looking for outside interference in this one (which might make it politically even more sensitive than it already is).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    Hm
    Waivers for the Jones Act have been granted in cases of emergencies of disasters.
    In 2007 an oil rig was towed by Chinese ships from Mexico to Alaska because the Americans couldn't do it themselves.

I have no idea why these Belgian companies were denied, but it's naught to do with the Jones Act necessarily blocking them. Although it may be used as a pretext, certainly.

I'm sensing BP or the US is not looking for outside interference in this one (which might make it politically even more sensitive than it already is).

Tend to agree
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010
    It seems that an official earthquake warning has been issued in California.

Crikey.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Where were you when they built the ladder to heaven?

uhm
    What?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ahhhh. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    It seems that an official earthquake warning has been issued in California.

Crikey.

Earthquakes, shmearthquakes.
    Who worries about those babies when there's hail in Oklahoma?
    (Stick with it roughly until the 2 minute mark.)