• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, probably someone else will make it first and then hollywood will destr...i mean, remake it. That, or Danny Boyle. Excellent story though, very uplifting ending smile

Yes, hopefully. *knock on wood*

One of the miners said something about the walls and roof starting to collapse after they drilled the tunnell.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2010
    Thor wrote
    So the Chilean miners are being pulled up tonight. Are we seeing a future Hollywood film in the making?

Hope they make it out fine. What a story! I'd definitely love to read more about the engineering/medical/psychology problem-solving part of the rescue.

A movie would be cool too!

Go Danny Boyle! And cap it off with a celebratory song and dance!
    bhangra
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    suicide
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BhelPuri wrote
    Thor wrote
    So the Chilean miners are being pulled up tonight. Are we seeing a future Hollywood film in the making?

Hope they make it out fine. What a story! I'd definitely love to read more about the engineering/medical/psychology problem-solving part of the rescue.

A movie would be cool too!

Go Danny Boyle! And cap it off with a celebratory song and dance!
    bhangra

biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011 edited
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011
    Southall wrote
    Bregt, what are you doing about this!?

Same as me, being confused probably confused
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I guess fixing the link would be his first priority... wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Did you all hear about the tragedy in Arizona?
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    I guess fixing the link would be his first priority... wink

Nothing wrong with it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote

The shooting - very sad. What will it take for Americans to tighten up their gun laws? I guess it won't happen. But how many more of these tragedies will there be?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    Bregt, what are you doing about this!?

Oh yes. It'll be viking country here soon.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    sdtom wrote

The shooting - very sad. What will it take for Americans to tighten up their gun laws? I guess it won't happen. But how many more of these tragedies will there be?

Indeed. Very sad. America's gun law is the only one like this in the world and it truly is NOT working; i wonder when they're going to realize it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    sdtom wrote

Indeed. Very sad. America's gun law is the only one like this in the world and it truly is NOT working; i wonder when they're going to realize it.

Fact is that if you confront them with it - especially the conservative circles - they get immediately defensive. If the criticism comes within, it's a trampling on their individual rights. If it comes from outside, it's US-hostile.

I don't even think Obama dares to touch the laws regarding rights to carry arms. Unforunately.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011 edited
    Gun sales have increased since the shooting. The gun that was sold most was the gun that the killer was using, costing about 499$. face-palm-mt
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-1 … fords.html
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Terrible indeed.

Tom, where do you stand on gun law in your country?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bollocks
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    Terrible indeed.

Tom, where do you stand on gun law in your country?

Part of our constitution as you know allows us the right to bear arms. When a crime occurs I believe the law doesn't have enough teeth and too many people are given a slap on the hand as I would say. The shooting in Arizona would have happened anyway as the black market for weapons is easy. As hard a stance as it sounds we know who did it and immediate execution would be my solution. He is guilty, guilty, guilty. I really don't need to hear about how he was abused and not raised properly. People like to go out and drink and then get behind the wheel, cause an accident which results in someone losing their life. I honestly see no difference and they should be executed also. We don't have room in the prisons anymore. Read the case about Dante Stallworth, a wide receiver for the Steelers. He did 30 days in jail for being drunk and killing someone. Yes you can have a gun or drink but 0% tolerance.
    Thomas

Thomas
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    sdtom wrote

I think the main problem in the U.S. is one that Michael Moore explored in his 'Bowling for Columbine' documentary, the problem is that fear is created and maintained by the media, government, and other institutions. Fear for your fellow man next door, for the immigrant living down the street, for the liberal from across the street, so what do you do to counter the fear? Get a weapon to feel safe again. And the logic behind 'Guns don't kill people, people kill people' is ridiculous. You give people access to anything, they will misuse it first chance they get.

Maybe it's about time something is done about the right to carry weapons in the U.S., because the right to act like an utter moron can already be damaging enough without using any sort of weapon. There have already been too many shootings done by mentally unstable persons. Would they have done anything of the sort in a country where weapons aren't readily available?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What other countries are there ( in the democratic world ) where every household has the right to own guns?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    What other countries are there ( in the democratic world ) where every household has the right to own guns?

Probably none in the civilised world, though I stand to be corrected.

The USA has a higher murder rate per capita which is three times as high as the UK. I find that just staggering. I refuse to believe that Americans are more naturally predisposed to kill people than British people are, so assume it must be because Americans can buy guns easily and British people cannot. The USA is so concerned with health and safety that you can't buy a cup of coffee unless it says "caution: contents hot" on it and yet it is not willing to do anything about this horrific problem it has which, I would suggest, leads to rather more deaths than spilling coffee.

"But it's our constitutional right!" say the defenders. Yes, but that constitutional right was written in 1791, when the country was a slightly different place, surely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    sdtom wrote

I think the main problem in the U.S. is one that Michael Moore explored in his 'Bowling for Columbine' documentary, the problem is that fear is created and maintained by the media, government, and other institutions. Fear for your fellow man next door, for the immigrant living down the street, for the liberal from across the street, so what do you do to counter the fear? Get a weapon to feel safe again. And the logic behind 'Guns don't kill people, people kill people' is ridiculous. You give people access to anything, they will misuse it first chance they get.

Maybe it's about time something is done about the right to carry weapons in the U.S., because the right to act like an utter moron can already be damaging enough without using any sort of weapon. There have already been too many shootings done by mentally unstable persons. Would they have done anything of the sort in a country where weapons aren't readily available?

Media rules and runs the US and most of its civilians. It's the sad truth. It happens to other countries to but never at the extend of the us
  2. Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Probably none in the civilised world, though I stand to be corrected.

The USA has a higher murder rate per capita which is three times as high as the UK. I find that just staggering. I refuse to believe that Americans are more naturally predisposed to kill people than British people are, so assume it must be because Americans can buy guns easily and British people cannot. The USA is so concerned with health and safety that you can't buy a cup of coffee unless it says "caution: contents hot" on it and yet it is not willing to do anything about this horrific problem it has which, I would suggest, leads to rather more deaths than spilling coffee.

"But it's our constitutional right!" say the defenders. Yes, but that constitutional right was written in 1791, when the country was a slightly different place, surely.

So very true. Old ideas surely aren't the best ideas?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Back in those days, they also had a strong for free press, but surely, that's the thing that HAS changed.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Perhaps you're right James but it is too late for this country. I'd ban alcohol and tobacco too but it will never happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011
    sdtom wrote
    I'd ban alcohol and tobacco too...

Woah now...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Maybe we shall ban life too wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote

Indeed, and when arms were muskets and crap like that that were imprecise as hell and took 2 minutes to load when you wanted to shoot it.

Luckily the writers were omniscient and in their all-knowing wisdom they made a perfect document that will always apply perfectly and should never be changed.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    plindboe wrote
    Luckily the writers were omniscient and in their all-knowing wisdom they made a perfect document that will always apply perfectly and should never be changed.

It's a bit like the Bible.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    LSH wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I'd ban alcohol and tobacco too...

Woah now...

Together alcohol and tobacco in this country are the #1 killer not random psycho killings. Do you have any idea how well off are health system would be if we did one simple thing. Have the tobacco and alcohol users sign a waiver saying our government doesn't have to take care of them when they get sick from the addictive crap they're putting into their bodies. That is my point.
  3. When it comes to tobacco (saying that as a smoker myself), it's of course that easy as you say, Tom. The cancer fighting programs could be handled much better with private financing, completely private (if you have lung cancer, deal with it yourself, you put it on yourself).

When it comes to alcohol, wanting another Prohibition is *not* the way to go, especially that casual drinkers (not sure if it's a good term, I mean people drinking only on parties and having a beer while watching a football game, the point is people who drink from time to time and aren't addicted) would be banned and that's uncalled for.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website