• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011 edited
    I'm actually for a more liberal alcohol politics here in Norway. You cannot buy wine and licor in Norwegian grocery stores, something which is commonplace elsewhere (at least non-muslim countries). Only beer and cider.

I don't want the government to treat me like a kid.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    (if you have lung cancer, deal with it yourself, you put it on yourself).

I'm not sure if I completely understand your example, but I do not agree with that.

Then you can start with "when you are biking, and you break your elbow, pay all costs yourself because you know you can fall". Or when you are living near an odd smoke loving factory because you were able to buy cheap acres, and suddenly you get some sickness, handle it yourself. Where is the line in these cases, and why would we treat each other like that? But yes, need to look at our social security system, and question ourselves what should be paid and not paid. It costs a lot of money, and is under stress more and more.

Banning smoking in bars and restaurant is a great start (Belgium is the only West-European country where such ban is not yet implemented, sadly enough, and I more and more skip an evening in a bar because of that, searching alternatives), but we need to expand that to public buildings and some locations as well.
    Kazoo
  1. Therapy for elbow fracture is much less complex than cancer treatment. And in case of smoking-related illness, then yeah, I think the patient should be a bit more responsible before.

Of course, what may be tried is trying to get the cigarette producers to pay for the lung cancer treatment of smokers, while they don't do it that much than before, they *do* have a history of basically lying about influence of the habit on health.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Of course, what may be tried is trying to get the cigarette producers to pay for the lung cancer treatment of smokers, while they don't do it that much than before, they *do* have a history of basically lying about influence of the habit on health.

I think we've gone past that now, realistically. Here in the UK we're now at the point where tax on cigarettes is so high that smokers do pay for themselves in terms of healthcare.
  2. The European Union has huge demands regarding the prices of cigarettes, yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    When it comes to tobacco (saying that as a smoker myself), it's of course that easy as you say, Tom. The cancer fighting programs could be handled much better with private financing, completely private (if you have lung cancer, deal with it yourself, you put it on yourself).

When it comes to alcohol, wanting another Prohibition is *not* the way to go, especially that casual drinkers (not sure if it's a good term, I mean people drinking only on parties and having a beer while watching a football game, the point is people who drink from time to time and aren't addicted) would be banned and that's uncalled for.

Totally agree Pawel save one thing. Is the right to have that occasional beer worth all the aggrevation that is caused by the 20% who are alcoholic. I'd go along with your idea if that 20% were just put away for life.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    When it comes to tobacco (saying that as a smoker myself), it's of course that easy as you say, Tom. The cancer fighting programs could be handled much better with private financing, completely private (if you have lung cancer, deal with it yourself, you put it on yourself).

When it comes to alcohol, wanting another Prohibition is *not* the way to go, especially that casual drinkers (not sure if it's a good term, I mean people drinking only on parties and having a beer while watching a football game, the point is people who drink from time to time and aren't addicted) would be banned and that's uncalled for.

Totally agree Pawel save one thing. Is the right to have that occasional beer worth all the aggrevation that is caused by the 20% who are alcoholic. I'd go along with your idea if that 20% were just put away for life.

First of all, I very much doubt that 20% of people are alcoholics. Seems a ridiculously high number.

Second of all, there's more good to alcohol than just having the occasional beer. Alcohol can create alot of happiness and fun too. Being a danish student I witness this first hand. Yes, there are also significant societal and health-related problems, but saying that it's a choice between the occasional beer and mayhem is a false choice.

Lastly, you can't make alcohol go away. Laws aren't magical. When there's a huge demand and you make something illegal, you're simply creating a huge criminal market. Sure, if you like criminals, gun battles and such, a law is a good idea. But if you prefer a sane world, where people get along, a law like that would be best to avoid.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    yeah
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Also there are very positive things about drinking alcohol, like cardiologists recommending wine to dinner (red wine declogs arteries) and a glass of cognac to heart attack survivors.
  4. Come to think of it, also nicotine is researched as an anti-depressant and schizophrenic people are often chain-smokers, because it helps them with a short-memory impairment.

So it's all not that easy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I had my information wrong. 20% are affected in some way by an alcoholic. A friend is injured involving alcohol, a family member etc.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4895060_stati … eaths.html

Take a read and then tell me it is all worth it.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2011 edited
    I've been negatively affected by alcohol in my life as well, Tom, so I'm well aware of the consequences.

The problem is that you are not providing a good alternative. The choice isn't between alcohol vs. no alcohol, it's between alcohol vs. alcohol and a huge, new criminal market. Alcohol doesn't go away just because you outlaw it. People will still drink, and additionally you get stuff like this.

That said, I don't think you can make an informed decision if all you're focusing on is the negative. Taking away a freedom that improves many people's lifes is a serious offense in my opinion. All freedom involves risks. Leaving your own house every morning is about the most dangerous thing you can do. We can outlaw that as well and save countless lives. But when you ban people's freedom to enjoy themselves you're making those lifes less worth living (and saving).

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The wise fathers know best.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. I think the Prohibition and the consequences of it showed really well what a ban could do to people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think the Prohibition and the consequences of it showed really well what a ban could do to people.

Indeed: "When Prohibition was introduced, I hoped that it would be widely supported by public opinion and the day would soon come when the evil effects of alcohol would be recognized. I have slowly and reluctantly come to believe that this has not been the result. Instead, drinking has generally increased; the speakeasy has replaced the saloon; a vast army of lawbreakers has appeared; many of our best citizens have openly ignored Prohibition; respect for the law has been greatly lessened; and crime has increased to a level never seen before" (J.D.Rockefeller, Jr.)

All this talk of alcohol makes me thirsty. Think I'll get some beer.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think the Prohibition and the consequences of it showed really well what a ban could do to people.

Do your homework Pawel. Prohibition worked. Alcohol is all about money. Our government gets billions in revenue. I have no problem with anyone drinking. I have a major problem with people drinking and driving as this directly has a bearing on me. A soccer mom hit and killed a 70 year old man not to long ago because he couldn't get out of the way. He was in the crosswalk and his light was green. She ran the stop sign. Why did this woman walk away with probation. Because she was raising a family and didn't mean to do it and promised she would never do it again? She belongs in prison for taking a life and what irritates me is she isn't.

As far as smoking is concerned I have two problems. Your smoking affects my health because I have to breath second hand smoke. Eliminate that problem and I can live with it. And #2 merely sign a disclaimer that when you get sick from lung cancer or any number of other diseases our government doesn't have to spend money taking care of you. Let's spend the money on people who've gotten sick and it isn't there fault.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2011
    I will patiently await your argument I've made on the two points of drinking and smoking
  6. With Prohibition - what did lead to really? Did the alcohol problem vanish at all or did it bring to heavy criminal issues including Mafia finding a new business? I'd like to hear the numbers here and not official ones, because nobody would probably admit in public polls to drinking bootlegged alcohol (a beautiful scene in DePalma's Untouchables was when Elliott Ness was asked what would he do if prohibition ended, he said simply "I'd have a drink"). Getting illegal whisky from Canada is a known thing, but tell me the numbers, plausible ones about the usage of alcohol in the 20s and after the prohibition. My prediction is that unoficially, the numbers were exactly the same or even worse, because as we say in Poland "forbidden fruit always tastes better". Official numbers would be biased, because most of people wouldn't admit to doing something illegal.

About smoking.

Point two - I agree with you, though it has to be handled a bit more sensitively and perhaps the burden should be put on the cigarette makers rather than users.

Point one - we are treading on thin ice here. First things first. People are allowed to smoke, period. It's their choice and in America perhaps as a part of the smokers' view of their constitutional rights, it's their freedom. They just are allowed to do it. Smoking ban in closed places, like we even have in Poland for quite a while (public closed places) is something that starts with some protests from the smokers, maybe looking for workarounds, but eventually is accepted and eventually praised by smokers. If you ban smoking on the streets then I think that's unfair for many reasons.

First, fresh air dispels the smoke that in a pub, bar, restaurant would be pretty concentrated in one place. What I am saying is the smoke you breathe in on a street is already less dense and intense than what it would be in a public place (and if your problem is that smoking in public places is allowed in the US then yeah, I think all states should have a ban).

Second, smoking is a choice and something that isn't directly illegal. And suddenly basically there is no place to legally smoke in. If I understand things well, this is well against the Constitution of the States, somehow, definitely against Polish.

Third, there are electronic cigarettes already. You smoke in nicotine, smoke out steam. In Poland, some smokers already use that. No second hand smoke and none of the more dangerous subtances like Benzene get into their lungs. Though I;ve heard it's hard to change to those, because the dangerous substances are *also* addictive. Never tried myself though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Do your homework Pawel. Prohibition worked. Alcohol is all about money. Our government gets billions in revenue. I have no problem with anyone drinking. I have a major problem with people drinking and driving as this directly has a bearing on me. A soccer mom hit and killed a 70 year old man not to long ago because he couldn't get out of the way. He was in the crosswalk and his light was green. She ran the stop sign. Why did this woman walk away with probation. Because she was raising a family and didn't mean to do it and promised she would never do it again? She belongs in prison for taking a life and what irritates me is she isn't.

Any drunk driver that kills a person deserves jailtime.

sdtom wrote
    As far as smoking is concerned I have two problems. Your smoking affects my health because I have to breath second hand smoke. Eliminate that problem and I can live with it. And #2 merely sign a disclaimer that when you get sick from lung cancer or any number of other diseases our government doesn't have to spend money taking care of you. Let's spend the money on people who've gotten sick and it isn't there fault.

Thomas

So only people who've never smoked or had a drink, eat 600 grams of vegetables every day and exercise 20 minutes every day get health care? Nearly all of us do things detrimental to our health from time to time. It's a dangerous road to go down when you start legislating who deserves help and who doesn't. I bet there are many people who wouldn't consider your life worth saving either.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A UK smoker who smokes 20 cigarettes a day pays approximately £5 per day in tax purely from cigarettes. That's £1800 per year. On average, if a smoker develops lung cancer (and over 80% of them do not) then it takes about 40 years. So that's £72,000 raised in tax revenues during those 40 years purely from smoking. Of five smokers, one will get lung cancer. So those five smokers have contributed £360,000 between them (about $500,000) and in return, the government has to fund one lung cancer patient and if the smoker dies early, it doesn't have to fund any more welfare payments or pension or whatever. I don't think the government's getting such a bad deal there.

OK, so I'm being exceptionally simplistic and ignoring all the many other smoking-related illnesses and the cost to society - but of the arguments to say smoking should be banned, a financial one just doesn't add up. In fact, the largest single threat to society (at least in the top two, depending on your view of climate change) is that people are living too long and we won't be able to afford it for much longer (in Britain at least, we can already barely afford it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    I will patiently await your argument I've made on the two points of drinking and smoking

You failed to answer either point.
    #1....Over 22,000 people lost their lives because of alcohol related situations. As I said I have no problem with people drinking. The will of this country was to do away with prohibition and it is what it is. I want tough laws as far as drinking and driving or drinking and violence is concerned. First offense is time in jail and you lose the right to drive. Being sorry and promising never to do it again is not good enough for me. As long as you don't invade my space do whatever you please. Invade my space and there is 0% tolerance. I feel a lot of compassion for those 22,000 people and I'm being very conservative with my numbers. Drinking and driving is like committing armed robbery. I read a book awhile ago by a historian who talked about that sad time in America. It was called Not God and written by Dr. Ernest Kurtz.

#2....Sign a disclaimer stating that when you become sick from smoking I don't have to pay to take care of you. You'll foot the bill for the oxygen tank, hospital, chemo treatments etc. You can smoke in your car, home, and certain designated smoking areas. Why do I have to tolerate clouds of smoke waiting at a bus stop?

#3....Homeless people may have no money and will beg for food and shelter but how many of them smoke and drink. Somehow they can come up with $10 per day. Why do I have to pay for that? Charity is fine with food and shelter but not smoking and drinking.

#4....The mafia is going to be around regardless, they still are. They deal in drugs, prostitution, and gambling. In Mexico as you might know the latest statement between warlords is to behead and show it to all stuck on a stick in the street. Black Dahlia by the way was a statement of territory between Bugsy and Cohen. Today they are just a lot more subtle about it, especially in this country.

5....Our government is happy we smoke and drink. They get billions of dollars in taxes. At least it is fair from the standpoint of the end consumer pays the taxes until he gets sick. This is the area I want to stop. I don't want to pay to take care of you. You know what could happen to you. Live with the consequences.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    My mom has amazingly stopped smoking about half year ago, but she's smoked almost her entire life before that. She's the warmest and kindest person you could ever know. But if she had gotten cancer and anyone said "Fuck her, let her die, she brought it on herself", I can't think of anything more evil. There are real people behind the statistics. People filled with love, and with plenty of loved ones in their lifes as well. People who'd do anything to help you out if you needed it. People who for whatever reason ended up with an unhealthy addiction. Just saying "Screw them" is cold beyond my comprehension.

Peter smile
  7. I don't think many health care professionals would turn anyone away from treatment because of their own stupidity in their lifestyle. Surely they can't be judgemental of everyone who needs help.

For drink drivers, it's their call and they have to accept the consequences of their actions. Others have to deal with their actions also - and try to accept society's punishments for those who do these stupid things.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I don't want to pay to take care of you. You know what could happen to you. Live with the consequences

Where do you draw the line then, concerning diseases and cancer?

Here's what I wrote somewhere earlier
    Then you can start with "when you are biking, and you break your elbow, pay all costs yourself because you know you can fall". Or when you are living near an odd smoke loving factory because you were able to buy cheap acres, and suddenly you get some sickness, handle it yourself. Where is the line in these cases, and why would we treat each other like that? But yes, need to look at our social security system, and question ourselves what should be paid and not paid. It costs a lot of money, and is under stress more and more.
    Kazoo
  8. Tom, in Poland bus stops are also covered by the smoking ban. I just walk away far from the stop and smoke at least 10-15 meters from it. Simple as that. I also tend to walk away as far as I can from children, because an adult can ask me not to smoke in front of them and I respect that, but a child doesn't understand that yet.
  9. Oh and Tom, the fact that in America you don't take the driving license away for life for DUI is quite shocking to me. In Poland it's quite obvious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2011
    Do we not treat fat people? After all, it's their own fault they became fat.

Do we not treat people injured in car accidents when the accident was their own fault? Or because the brakes failed, and they forgot to take the car in for a service this year?

Do we not treat people with sporting injuries? If they hadn't played the sport, they wouldn't have got injured.

Where does this particular line get drawn?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have this to say on the matter.

http://cheezfailbooking.files.wordpress … 7fb836.jpg
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    plindboe wrote
    My mom has amazingly stopped smoking about half year ago, but she's smoked almost her entire life before that. She's the warmest and kindest person you could ever know. But if she had gotten cancer and anyone said "Fuck her, let her die, she brought it on herself", I can't think of anything more evil. There are real people behind the statistics. People filled with love, and with plenty of loved ones in their lifes as well. People who'd do anything to help you out if you needed it. People who for whatever reason ended up with an unhealthy addiction. Just saying "Screw them" is cold beyond my comprehension.

Peter smile

I can think of things far more evil. The soccer mom is a good example. She belongs in prison. As far as the addiction to smoking is concerned with your mom or anyone for that matter if she came down with cancer two years from now and she had quit that is a different situation. What I'm talking about is the smoker who is on oxygen because he can't breathe and is still smoking. That is sick and I can say screw them. What is it they don't understand. You have no money for food or shelter but you can smoke and drink? Where is the logic in that. I see none. Perhaps signing the disclaimer will be a wake up call. I agree that both drugs are horrible addictions. I want people to be made 100% aware of what can happen. Through education I feel that a certain % of the population could be reached and perhaps never start. That is what I would like to see. Our government will do nothing because of the billions of dollars they would lose. That makes me sick and that is evil.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011
    Pawel and I sort of finished our discussion on Facebook.