• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It seems funny that the UK can throw its weight around the world and at the same time reduce the armed forces in terms of numbers and resources.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It seems funny that the UK can throw its weight around the world and at the same time reduce the armed forces in terms of numbers and resources.

We'd be unable to defend ourselves against anything but the most modest of attacks from a nation, now. So I hope it doesn't happen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's our chance, we should gang together and overthrow the government that we WE will be kings among men.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Here's our chance, we should gang together and overthrow the government that we WE will be kings among men.

Feel that our name will now go down on "ze leest".

It was funny to hear one official's phraseology; that the UK would make some kind of "contribution". Bring nibbles?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Exactly rolleyes applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Staying out of it may be some of our allies' wishes as far as the UK's input is concerned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011
    I note that, today, the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee decided to keep UK interest rates on hold. In coming to that decision, it had to balance keeping inflation under control (it is getting a little high) with not damaging our recovery from the recession.

Fortunately, it did not have to take into account the situations in 17 completely individual and separate economies, which is what the European Central Bank had to do today, as it decided to raise interest rates. Germany's economy is growing at over 3% a year while Greece's is shrinking at over 2% a year. The ECB has to set an interest rate which is appropriate for both countries? Impossible. And there are 15 others it has to consider, too.

How interesting that on the very same day, Portugal - a country which cannot set its own interest rates and therefore has considerably less control over its own economy than the UK does - has to go seeking a bailout.

When the British were sneered at and considered the backward-thinking pariahs of Europe for refusing to join the Euro, the reason given was precisely that the above situation would be untenable. I wonder whether a few of those who did join (some enthusiastically, some because they didn't see what harm it could do) are wondering whether they made the right decision.

I rather suspect that if Britain had joined, we'd be right in the mire with the PIGS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011
    Southall wrote
    I note that, today, the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee decided to keep UK interest rates on hold. In coming to that decision, it had to balance keeping inflation under control (it is getting a little high) with not damaging our recovery from the recession.

Fortunately, it did not have to take into account the situations in 17 completely individual and separate economies, which is what the European Central Bank had to do today, as it decided to raise interest rates. Germany's economy is growing at over 3% a year while Greece's is shrinking at over 2% a year. The ECB has to set an interest rate which is appropriate for both countries? Impossible. And there are 15 others it has to consider, too.

It would be like each state in the US which would be very bad.

How interesting that on the very same day, Portugal - a country which cannot set its own interest rates and therefore has considerably less control over its own economy than the UK does - has to go seeking a bailout.

When the British were sneered at and considered the backward-thinking pariahs of Europe for refusing to join the Euro, the reason given was precisely that the above situation would be untenable. I wonder whether a few of those who did join (some enthusiastically, some because they didn't see what harm it could do) are wondering whether they made the right decision.

I rather suspect that if Britain had joined, we'd be right in the mire with the PIGS.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011 edited
    Just booked the tickets for Iceland. Three weeks in September. No boat though, as that was just too damn expensive, unfortunately. I'd loved to have visited Faroer.

Together with the little road trip through central Spain (right after Ubeda), it's going to be a good year again!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011
    I envy you
    listen to more classical music!
  4. I would love to visit Iceland. What I see of it always looks so dramatic. There's that rip in the landscape that is probably some fault.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I believe it's what divides the American and European continental plates.
  5. I think you are right. It looks very drqmwtic! Maybe I need to stop drinking! I meant "dramatic". Damn phone keyboard!

(If I were to post unedited it would be complete gobbledygook!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You should do it and leave it to us for translation biggrin

I'll join you in a drink, cheers Alan beer <--ice cold Carlsberg
  6. Cheers Tim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I see I posted this in the wrong thread. And that was before I was tipsy!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    (If I were to post unedited it would be complete gobbledygook!

Is that a reference to Icelandic's Sigur Ros great song?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I would love to visit Iceland. What I see of it always looks so dramatic. There's that rip in the landscape that is probably some fault.

Yup. It's a very popular destination. The scenery is everything. Volcanoes, hot water, bubbles, mountains and glaciers, ... it's the beginning of a new world, and occasionally new islands prop up around Iceland, the latest is Surtsey, which was created around 1960. It's an odd thought and fascinating event. Was reading a book about the history of Iceland and this was just one of the odd things: a new island. A bit surreal. smile
    Kazoo
  7. Surtsey. I remember when it was on the news. Much better than today - "Today, a new island was created."
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Surtsey. I remember when it was on the news. Much better than today - "Today, a new island was created."

I remember it on John Craven's Newsround when it bubbled out of the sea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2011
    Horrible.

Photos: Japan tries to move on after quake, tsunami
    http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2011/04/ … index.html
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011
    I just received word that Osama Bin Laden is dead. beer I don't know anything besides that yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Wow! I hope this is true.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    There aren't many people in the world I wish dead, as I'm incapable of the emotion of hate, but Osama Bin Laden being dead has got to be the greatest news in a long time.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Indeed. A truly evil man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't feel it is an occasion for rejoicing for ANY person's death, not even the worst terrorist in the world or the people he allegedly used as human shields. I also think some of the elements in Obama's speech were tasteless and unnecessarily patriotic (and I'm an Obama fan!).

THAT BEING SAID....I'm glad there has been some sort of justice for the horrible attack that took place on 9/11, and I'm not sure that a trial against him would have worked in the same way as it does for, say, a tyrant or someone in a tyrant's service. Terrorists are kinda independent of all of that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Obama's desperate for voters it seems, tasteless indeed. However, i hope the bastard enjoys his 72 virgins.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.