• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011
    When you see what it has cost to kill this guy (humans and money) and when you note that this will not change much in the "war against terrorism" (I remember Robert Fisk saying on Belgian tv that Osama has become irrelevant), not sure if it was all worth it?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And that's a very valid point, if you strip the whole thing down and see it from a logical point of view.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011 edited
    Thor wrote
    I don't feel it is an occasion for rejoicing for ANY person's death, not even the worst terrorist in the world or the people he allegedly used as human shields.

I can understand the huge relief. It hasn't just been an embarrassment for the US that they haven't been able to catch someone that they've thrown so much of their military might after, but he was the main man of the worst attack on american soil and not catching him must have felt like an open sore that wouldn't heal.

Thor wrote
    I also think some of the elements in Obama's speech were tasteless and unnecessarily patriotic (and I'm an Obama fan!).

The guy's a genius though. He says exactly the right things to give a huge increase in his approval rating. Every sentence was tailor-made for the political right; he already has the left so he has to appeal more to the right. Will be interesting to see how the approval rating will change.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Can't wait for the movie.
  1. Bah! Who needs BBC News or Twitter. Saw the news first here at MainTitles!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    The guy's a genius though. He says exactly the right things to give a huge increase in his approval rating. Every sentence was tailor-made for the political right; he already has the left so he has to appeal more to the right. Will be interesting to see how the approval rating will change.

Peter smile

Yeah, that's my assessment too. Obama has received a lot of flack from the right-wing spectrum, so I have no doubt that comments like " Yet today's achievement is a testament to the greatness of our country and the determination of the American people" were tailormade to appeal to that side.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well, his writers are genius.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good riddance to a bad smell, a truly rotten oxygen thief.

That said I agree with Bregt.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    When you see what it has cost to kill this guy (humans and money) and when you note that this will not change much in the "war against terrorism" (I remember Robert Fisk saying on Belgian tv that Osama has become irrelevant), not sure if it was all worth it?

Nonsense. The expenses to invade Afghanistan were never made to just kill one man.
    And while it's of course true that any cell organisation cannot be stopped by killing the figure head, the mere PR value alone in Al Qaeda losing its main face -that kept defiantly mocking the 'dumb evil west' for not even being able to localise one man- is inestimable.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I wonder what they would have done had they captured him alive.
  2. Killed him.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Let me rephrase: I wonder what they would have done if they captured him alive before they killed him. wink

And his body is already buried at sea. The USA's most wanted man for over 10 years, and they buried him?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    From early reports it sounds like they had no intention of taking him alive.

And the burial at sea? WHAT? is that all about?? confused
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Exactly. You'd take the body for testing or something, wouldn't you?

I don't know exactly what you'd do with it, but you wouldn't put it out at sea.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeed! killed deep in-land and then buried at sea, is it meant to be some kind of disrespect?
  3. Burial at sea means no physical burial place and therefore no shrine.

But now the sea is homeopathically evil.

4. how good it is to see this news, there is just another one waiting around the corner to take his place. That's the sad fact of life, you just can't stop evil
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Timmer wrote
    And the burial at sea? WHAT? is that all about?? confused

yeah, like they haven't polluted the waters enough?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Burial at sea means no physical burial place and therefore no shrine.

But now the sea is homeopathically evil.

Not at all, see, you haven't watched THE GODFATHER, Alan, Bin Laden now sleeps with the fishes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    How did the US confirm that the man they killed was really Osama bin Laden? According to ABC News, the body was quickly taken away for a DNA test. The DNA was then matched with that of one of his sisters, who died in Boston and whose brain was kept by the United States.

biggrin

His body was buried at sea yesterday, "in accordance with Islamic law and traditions".
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote

Nonsense. The expenses to invade Afghanistan were never made to just kill one man.
    And while it's of course true that any cell organisation cannot be stopped by killing the figure head, the mere PR value alone in Al Qaeda losing its main face -that kept defiantly mocking the 'dumb evil west' for not even being able to localise one man- is inestimable.

Well, 10 years, many soldiers and money spent was enough, but at least the fucker's dead.

In other words,

When i read cheesy crap like that, i really want to vomit. Moreover, some of the esteemed american film music colleagues over at facebook changed their profile pictures to eagles and the us flag. Can people become more dumb ? I don't think so.

"JohnDebney
    Osama please meet Mr. Hitler, Mr. Stalin and those other homicidal maniacs that now reside where they belong..Hell
    11 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply"
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    "JohnDebney
    Osama please meet Mr. Hitler, Mr. Stalin and those other homicidal maniacs that now reside where they belong..Hell

Debney is known for his right-wing sentiments. He's written some excellent scores, but damn - how we disagree on politics!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    They should have buried the guy with pig remains from a slaughterhouse. A man like this doesn't deserve respect, even in death.

Peter pig
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    "JohnDebney

Debney is known for his right-wing sentiments. He's written some excellent scores, but damn - how we disagree on politics!

I think that particular (admittedly rather resentful) sentiment hardly constitutes right-wing hardlining?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote

Very true. He was their symbol of hope and no doubt lead to alot of recruitment. But of course Al Qaeda will probably have to flex their muscles the following weeks to show that they're still strong, so there will probably be some more attacks to begin with even though they have been severely weakened.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    "JohnDebney

I think that particular (admittedly rather resentful) sentiment hardly constitutes right-wing hardlining?

Indeed. If there's a hell, Osama definitely deserves to be there.

Peter smile
  6. Will this be the start of another series of terrorist attacks?

The US of A better prepare.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I expect OBL had been living in hell for a long time, hunted and continually looking over his shoulder, not trusting anyone. None of it matters now, he's gone to oblivion and will soon be shat out of the arses of fish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    "JohnDebney

It's in the exaggerated rhetorics, which I can't stand. The gloating, the celebration, the dancing on the grave...even while trying my best to understand the American national trauma that triggers it, I just find it disgusting. So he was found and killed! Great, fine, I'm relieved. Would have preferred a trial (and THEN maybe an execution), but I'll live. I just can't stand anger-fuelled patriotism like that. I hate it with every fibre of my body.
    I am extremely serious.