• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011
    I'd love to hear the argument as to why this woman walked away from what she did
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011
    sdtom wrote
    I'd love to hear the argument as to why this woman walked away from what she did

Not sure why you'd ask in this thread, where no one has said they agree with the ruling. If you're really interested, I'm sure you can find the court ruling outlined somewhere though where the judge outlines his reasons in detail.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011
    sdtom wrote
    I can think of things far more evil. The soccer mom is a good example. She belongs in prison. As far as the addiction to smoking is concerned with your mom or anyone for that matter if she came down with cancer two years from now and she had quit that is a different situation. What I'm talking about is the smoker who is on oxygen because he can't breathe and is still smoking. That is sick and I can say screw them. What is it they don't understand. You have no money for food or shelter but you can smoke and drink? Where is the logic in that. I see none. Perhaps signing the disclaimer will be a wake up call. I agree that both drugs are horrible addictions. I want people to be made 100% aware of what can happen. Through education I feel that a certain % of the population could be reached and perhaps never start. That is what I would like to see. Our government will do nothing because of the billions of dollars they would lose. That makes me sick and that is evil.
    Thomas smile

All humans act illogically from time to time.

I think it's generally a good attitude to try to understand people instead of judging them without compassion or an effort to understand. My mother's bf for instance has lung cancer and he still smokes. Some would call that stupid, but he says that he's realized that he'll die soon anyway, so why not enjoy his last few years as much as he possibly can, even if his remaining life will be shorter with smoking. This seems like an understandable decision to me.

Some people also have self-destructive behaviours. Eating yourself to death or starving yourself to death. Many teenagers cut themselves. This isn't logical behaviour at all. These people have serious mental issues, and just telling them to die seems cold-hearted to me. Personally I think they should be helped as much as possible despite exhibiting illogical behaviour.

In fact we all exhibit self-detructive behaviours once in a while. We all munch those extra pieces of chocolates or pork chops even though we know they're bad for us. We all prefer looking at the telly once in a while rather than running a marathon.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011 edited
    I'm now and then watching the Egypt protests on Al Jazeera, in between some work at home here, and it's odd and impressive at the same time. The deaths are sad, but also the non-support or condemnation of our/neighbour's governments. I guess they're too busy in Davos.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011 edited
    My friend who we were actually supposed to meet in Tanzania next week works as a diving instructor in Egypt. We're seriously worried if he'll manage to fly out of the country this coming Saturday! Meeting him was really the point of the trip in the first place.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. The news is always saying that things are "fast moving" in Egypt but it is always just people demonstrating. How is it fast moving?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2011
    Thor wrote
    My friend who we were actually supposed to meet in Tanzania next week works as a diving instructor in Egypt. We're seriously worried if he'll manage to fly out of the country this coming Saturday! Meeting him was really the point of the trip in the first place.

Ouch! Perhaps he better gets there by car...

FalkirkBairn wrote
    The news is always saying that things are "fast moving" in Egypt but it is always just people demonstrating. How is it fast moving?

True. It's lots of info and lots of events, but as for a solution, it doesn't seem to be moving forward.
    Kazoo
  2. Funny to see the UK and US distancing themselves from things, but supporting any internal resolution to the events. I bet they are hoping that no void that opens is filled by extremists.

I'm sure that behind closed doors the UK and US positions are a bit different.

It was interesting to hear earlier a financial markets view on things. They want stability and would prefer Mubarak to stay in power and the demonstrations to end so that the status quo is re-established.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2011
    Yeah, well, I'm very weary of what's taking place: excitingly labeling this a People's Revolution may have most left wingers in Europe orgasming wildly in their pants, but all I can see is disorganised anarchist rabble looting and plundering (for the better part; reports of Secret Police masquerading as looters to...erm...I dunno...do evil, or so notwithstanding), with fundamentalist islamist support supporting the chaos in the background.
    The echoes of Iran in 1979 are slightly too fresh for me to be singing any kind of praise before the dust settles.

And in the meantime, while the world is watching Egypt (after all, six looters entered the Cairo National museum and vandalised two mummies), what started in Tunisia as a powerful intellectuals and left- wing led protest is now quickly being hijacked as well.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011 edited
    Martijn, you can't call it all anarchism (at least not just before today), since so many Egyptians actually helped prevent such events. I also constantly hear the Moslin Brotherhood is keeping itself at a moderate distance, even though supporting the protests. Isn't Egypt less favourable to vote for such parties? (that is of course excluding a takeover similar to Iran). Or do I need to have lived longer to not believe this? wink

But just now, all hell breaks loose at Cairo. Sad to see that now police, some dressed as regular citizens, and pro-Mubarak, attack those same citizens, who apparently are not protected by the army. In the meantime, a Belgian journalist has been taken away by the police, has been hit and is held for espionage... slant
    Kazoo
  3. Is it just me or did things just get a lot violent once Pro-Mubarak "supporters" took to the streets?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011
    Anarchy is not the same as chaos, Bregt.smile
    And I'm notreally surprised shit hit the fan now thattwo opposing, violent factions stand against each other.chances for peace are a bit better when everyone's one the same page....

And do not underestimate the deviousness of the Brotherhood: they are the only organised force and a driving factor for the riots. As soon as the dust settles, and it turns out there is no strong man to take control, they'lltake the opportunity.

Right now the best thing that can happen is a military coup... What a sad world...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011 edited
    From the reports we get it seems the violence is orchestrated (well, in a sense that that is even possible in the midst of chaos) police and people paid to demonstrate and use violence, and the censoring of journalists at the location. There were other marches of pro-Mubarak that weren't violent at all, and grouped the middle classes that became rich under his presidency.

Is he now a dictator or not?

What a mess!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011
    Mubarak and his cronies certainly run a pretty dictatorial ship.
    However, I remain unsuree about the amount of actual ill he's done. 'Just' being in power seems an odd reason to rebel, and relatively Egypt is far better off than its neigbours in the sense of economy, growth, tolerance and freedom. I'm sure I could be better informed, but so far it seems to that the primary reason for the massive demonstrations were mainly to do with the declining economy and the lack of proper jobs (welcome to 2011, I'd say, but never mind).
    Mubarak is hardly on a level with Ghadaffi, Achmedinejad or Sadam Hussein as far as repression and war mongering goes.

I also grow -very- weary of all western journalists copying each other in metioning 'sources' that 'suggest' the pro-Mubaraks are 'all paid secret police'. Interesting none of these sources is ever mentioned by name, or taken before a micfophone. It's all people who either 'have heard' this or 'have no doubt in their mind' about it.

And to wreak havoc now, now he has already announced his resignation, makes no sense at all, politically, economically, socially or otherwise.

I sense a lot of agendas, a lot of hot-headedness (in the Middle East? Who coulda thunk?), and some massive fuck-ups (due to majorly wrong assumptions) on all sides.

But this doesn't even start to get close to a black and white situation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011
    Martijn wrote
    However, I remain unsuree about the amount of actual ill he's done. 'Just' being in power seems an odd reason to rebel, and relatively Egypt is far better off than its neigbours in the sense of economy, growth, tolerance and freedom. I'm sure I could be better informed, but so far it seems to that the primary reason for the massive demonstrations were mainly to do with the declining economy and the lack of proper jobs (welcome to 2011, I'd say, but never mind).

Poverty? Tunesia (which isn't the worst of the region either)? Education? Corruption (as the cables suggest) and violence against citizens. Because they're perhaps less worse off, doesn't mean they shouldn't protest? (I hope you don't mean it as harsh as you wrote).

But this doesn't even start to get close to a black and white situation.

Certainly not, but I think we do understand their grievances for the larger part.

Fun page (but a bit hysterical!):
    http://sarthanapalos.wordpress.com/2011 … out-egypt/

Battle and discussions about the facts and sources:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:2011_ … n_protests

"Is it a revolution?"
    "What picture to use"
    "Who are the 'pro-Mubarak' supporters now"
    "What is the title of this article"
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, they should have the right to protest, of course. And they should have the right to criticise their leaders. Nobody is denying the levels of corruption and poverty in Egypt, and people are very right to stand up and shout out against that!

What I find harder to understand is what they are protesting for.
    What are the alternatives? What countries in their vicinity are they looking towards as future rolemodels? What happens when Mubarak is gone?

The second thing is they got what they wanted. Mubarak will be leaving.
    I think the current confusion was best summed up by two Egyptian female professionals, who were bemused: "we got what we protested for. What is everyone still doing here? I just want to get back to work and to life."
    (interesting how it's so often women who make the most sense).

Anyway, seems to me there is a lot of confused directions in this whole debacle.
    Geopolitically Egypt has been pretty much a beacon of political stability and voice of reason in a wildly hot headed region. That's why the Egyptian government has always been a favourite of the rest of the world.now of course there is immense fear these riots will be used (or at worst have been fueled) by muslim extremists (sadly not a paranoid idea by any means. As said the thoroughly fundamentalist Muslim Brotherhood is the only organised faction right now and will establish a second Iran inn a heartbeat...unless the army -the current true power in Egypt- steps in.)

That, to me, seems to be the crux of the government's overreaction: the fear of a fundamentalist coup (that's why you see the army being manipulated more and more to the side of the powers that be).
    On the other hand the protesters seem to have no clear idea of direction any more of what they're doing or why. It's just 'anti-Mubarak' which is an incredibly dangerous, simplistic view that could easily be perverted into destruction and the establishment of a totalitarian regime that will make Mubarak seem positively saintly.

The most important question from an outside point of view is "who benefits by continued rioting and destabilisation (the primary demand, after all, has been met.)"

The most important question in Egypt is of course how to get some stability and peace back.
    For one thing it'd help if the legions of rabid reporters likening this to the second French Revolution would fuck the hell off. The continued rabid dog news gathering isn't really helping things along (as I find it beyond cynical everyone has suddenly forgot about Tunesia. But them Egypt has far more and better exposure, and will yield many more editorials and prizes...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, well, I'm very weary of what's taking place: excitingly labeling this a People's Revolution may have most left wingers in Europe orgasming wildly in their pants, but all I can see is disorganised anarchist rabble looting and plundering (for the better part; reports of Secret Police masquerading as looters to...erm...I dunno...do evil, or so notwithstanding), with fundamentalist islamist support supporting the chaos in the background.
    The echoes of Iran in 1979 are slightly too fresh for me to be singing any kind of praise before the dust settles.

No argument from me

And in the meantime, while the world is watching Egypt (after all, six looters entered the Cairo National museum and vandalised two mummies), what started in Tunisia as a powerful intellectuals and left- wing led protest is now quickly being hijacked as well.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/ … ptians.jpg
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011
    Goners!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yep!
    Very interested to see what happens now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011 edited
    That's the second leader in about a month! Wow! What a determination of these people.

I see there's protests coming up in Morocco, Algeria and Iran next week. Tunesia is still struggling though!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Protests in Iran? Hm. The Green Revolution was met with incredible violence, suppression and retribution. My heart goes out to the people there. If they are determined to stand up once more to that vile, corrupt and evil regime, I respect them beyond measure.
    I wish there was something more tangible I could do. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You're right that sadly it is not going to be easy:
    http://wlcentral.org/node/1256
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    Protests in Iran? Hm. The Green Revolution was met with incredible violence, suppression and retribution. My heart goes out to the people there. If they are determined to stand up once more to that vile, corrupt and evil regime, I respect them beyond measure.

Indeed, situation there is absolutely desperate and illogical.

Interested to see what happens in Egypt now; something tells me that - like most of these cases, Mubarak wasn't their prime problem after all. Only time will tell.
  4. it's good news to hear what has happened in Egypt. After his speech I was determined it would never end. But it seems it was all a smoke curtain to make sure he could go out of the country. Either way, it's good to see that some things in life turn out quite positively

it will still take time though to make it all right over there
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote

Yesterday and today there were renewed protests in Iran. I was wondering, is there anything the outside world can do, because as far as I can see, there's not much leverage and the leaders don't give a fuck anyway. What a hopeless situation (not that it is the only one).

Also protests in Bahrain and continuing in Yemen. Activists of the former are threatening to protest on the opening of the F1 season next month... And in the mean time, Mubarak is dying. What a surreal situation!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2011 edited
    I'm shocked and angry at the situation in Libya. What a fucking bastard. FUCK!
    Kazoo
  5. To be honest, I don't really care.

I'm waiting for the fever of all this to get to Scotland and there to be protests in George Square and marches up the Royal Mile.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2011 edited
    You do care; 'cause this can spark a major worldwide oil crisis. Texaco and Bp are already rushing out of Libya as announced today, and are ceasing their operations here. Worldwide oil production has just gone down 50.000 barrels today as they announced and you can only imagine what a major scale of crisis such a notion would bring to the world if it continues. Uproar in middle east, the world is fucked due to oil dependency.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    To be honest, I don't really care.

I'm waiting for the fever of all this to get to Scotland and there to be protests in George Square and marches up the Royal Mile.

Yeah, I'm all for that! biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt