• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011
    TV in Libya confirms it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    good riddance
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Will you not shed a tear for his good mate Tony Blair? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    His last moments alive are also captured on film.....pretty grim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Satisfying though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am not saying the opposite.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    His last moments alive are also captured on film.....pretty grim.

Yes, they showed that on the news but without the sound ( yes, I watched the Liveleak ) that makes it quite harrowing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This is very strong too, comes with a warning.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=26b_1319136067
  1. I am aware of all that he has done and all that he is responsible for but I still find it a bit distasteful that these images are being paraded on TV.

I know that this leaves me open to comments about the atrocities he sanctioned but there's a sense of trophy-waving with the images we are seeing on national TV.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am aware of all that he has done and all that he is responsible for but I still find it a bit distasteful that these images are being paraded on TV.

I know that this leaves me open to comments about the atrocities he sanctioned but there's a sense of trophy-waving with the images we are seeing on national TV.

Well, I think in the cases of dictators like this, some sort of public exposure of their demise is warranted. Same with Ceausescu(sp.?), Saddam and Bin Laden (well, there were pictures, at the very least). It's such a powerful symbolical act that marks the end of a tyranny.

But I -- too -- find the sequence where they drag his body through the streets and kick it quite tasteless. I'm not even sure that has been aired in its entirety.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Oh, I certainly think that there is a need for there to be some sort of public display of their death - it doesn't take long for there to be people saying that these dictators, etc are not really dead if there's no proof for the world to see.

But to see all the footage prior to his death (and I haven't seen all there is to see) isn't really news - it's almost gloating.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2011
    True.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nothing of all of this news posted at FSM? Have people finally learnt to behave themselves??? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Probably deleted as soon as it was posted....
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2011 edited
    I just read the news about the referendum regarding the 37th bailout for Greece. What the hell was your PM thinking Demetris and Stavi?!!!??? crazy face-palm-mt

Do you support this? What's the opinion in Greece?
    Kazoo
  3. Perhaps the PM is just fed up with trying his best and the people striking and protesting? He's telling them, "I have done as well as I can. What do you think?" The country is bound to say "no" to the measures, there will be an election forced and the result will be the same - Greece will leave the Eurozone, bring back the Drachma, default on all it's commitments (moneywise) and everyone will be scared (who lends money to the Eurozone countries) that their leant money is no longer safe...and everything will turn to mush.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well 2 days after the Brussels deal, turns out the bankers aren't willing to support it. It all has to come from the bankers and they don't want to pay the damage.

Now, our pm, Instead of letting it fail in the background and slently and seem like a failure of Greece that would lead to mostly inner-damages and default, now he draws attention to it. Largely. It's all political game and psychological. If he goes down, the whole Eurozone will and this is exactly what Germany and the big guys are afraid now.

Cause otherwise Greece is too small and weak an economy to have originally caused such mass damage. Now with all the attention on the deal and salvation efforts during the lt 3 years, the rest who are creeping in the dark and on the verge of similar fates (I.e. extremely problematic economies of basically Italy and Spain) await to see what will happen with the experiment of Greece: it's kind of a safety measure so that the eu won't let Greece burn down on its own.

If it goes down it will be after a massive eu deal and will take Italy and Spain with her, and therefore the euro. What alan said.

Also, the people here are suffering but are close minded and stupid cause :

1. The think that they don't have a part in this for lying, stealing and electing false governments all these years. They we happy to be thrown a bone all these years and let the big guys steal in quiet, they saw and turned the other way, everyone was ignorant and happy. They thing unidentified "others" are to be blamed.
    2. He wants to showcase to those stupid people what will happen if they don't get serious.

Everybody says it, if the vote is yes and people work with governments in seriousness in years to come, maybe the whole plan will succeed. If the pan fails, then Eurozone goes down.

If no to the vote, Greece defaults the next day, back to drachma and eras past (optimists say 90's and other financial analysts suggest even 50-60's.

I will vote yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well 2 days after the Brussels deal, turns out the bankers aren't willing to support it. It all has to come from the bankers and they don't want to pay the damage.

Interestingly, quite the opposite is happening: the banks have agreed to waive half of Greece's debt, and have just confirmed that that is still the case, the suggested referendum notwithstanding.

So I am completely at a loss to understand what Papandreou is trying to achieve.

If anything it looks like he's pushing for new elections (without actually calling for new elections), perhaps in hopes that he won't be the "face" of Greece eventually leaving the euro zone? Could it be that simple? A personal saving of face?
    The weirdest thing was that the Greek minister of finance was actually caught out by Papandreou's suggestion. He had no idea this was coming (although he does allegedly support Papandreou)!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hmmm...let me read into that; i had the impression the opposite was happening, but i do recall articles the following day of the deal where Bankers were in disbelief.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    In any case, he's fed up with people arguing and shouting all the time with no counter-propositions, just whining. Both the public and the opposing political parties. It's like they really believe there's hidden money somewhere and another solution that this vs default situation. Can there really be something like that ? An alternative? No. He wants to shut them up and seek their support. Or perhaps he just wants out and therefore elections. What do you think Martijn ? Or maybe he is performing a desperate "look what I damage I can do if you let me fall" stunt ? Greek surprise sends markets into tailspin http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/01/world/eur … index.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I think what our PM did was a mistake. If he wanted to seek the people's opinion he should have done it earlier. Most of us,even though we didn't agree and even though we shouted against all this, have agreed in doing what the big guys thought that it should be done and as I have read 9 to 10 banks have agreed in waiving Greece's debt. Yes, elections must be held but after things have settled down. I'm really fed up with all this. I just think is his way of saying that he wants out or he just blackmails us into supporting him.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well we have to realize we have an obligation and are to blame as well, the whole society. Our politicians all these years and governments, reflect who we are. We elected them and turned our eyes the other way. We voluntary turned our heads the other way, we help cheating and stealing, and now it's the time to pay. Now things are shitty, i know. I have a master's degree and teach in a college (post high school education, degree formally recognized and accepted by the government) for 10 friggin euros per hour and i don't even have a stable salary; they hire and fire me every six months and pay us with the hour. This is just an example, there's way worse. Nobody is happy. But we must realize there's no option; we've made it this way and we have obligations. It's their heads down, forget the Greece we had because it doesn't come back and the world is changing, serious work for years with the Eu, or default and drachma, and out. And go back 50 years.

The pm, didn't ask because nobody listens. When you call the president of the Government "fascist" in public and stop national parades, when you hit and beat politicians up no matter how rotten they are, when you refuse to co-operate any solution and listen, and just shout like a barbarian without counter-propositions, you deserve what's coming to you; nobody is going to ask your opinion this way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I agree with you in many points , I seriously disagree in others but I'm too tired with all this, too disapponted to get in an argument with you love. And I truly believe "we" should fight this together, whatever it that is coming our way. All of us together. There is no other way if there is a possibility to make something out of this mess.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. Just reading your exchange has made me want to see footage culled from the news of the current crisis, with your voices floating over it in unresolved dialogue, and a tetchy Giovanni Fusco score trembling beneath.
    A modern HIROSHIMA, MON AMOUR. How could this happen? What does it mean for us?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Michael, how bad are things out in Australia?

The reason I ask is that here in the UK we hear nothing about Australia - it's all Eurozone this, Eurozone that...and how it's all related to the US economy. I assume that where you are things are just as bad. But we never hear about it.

Except when the Queen visits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think Michael's been too caught up in some horse race or other to notice what's happening in the economy (though I don't want to put words in his mouth).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Just reading your exchange has made me want to see footage culled from the news of the current crisis, with your voices floating over it in unresolved dialogue, and a tetchy Giovanni Fusco score trembling beneath.
    A modern HIROSHIMA, MON AMOUR. How could this happen? What does it mean for us?

Don't know if this is irony, a joke i don't get or something entirely different?
  6. Something entirely different, Demetris. A hommage to an old art film called HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR.

Thanks James. I love horses, and their Wild Rovers, but that race holds a special place in my heart. (irony)

Alan, we're doing ok down here. Our Treasurer just won some international award for being the only country other than Canada or Sweden with an appreciating exchange rate and a central bank still more concerned about inflation than unemployment. There's concern that an imminent carbon tax may make our manufacturing and agriculture criticially less competitive, particularly given the absence of global action on the point, but the government has thrown all on it. Perhaps the biggest news of all was the freeze on all QANTAS flights on the weekend as part of escalating industrial warfare between transport workers and the national carrier. Your Richard Branson's Virgin airlines looks particularly well positioned to capitalize on a dispute that probably shouldn't have gone as far as it has.

And the current mood is -- as it always is following a royal visit -- that the curious Australian head of state situation (essentially outsourcing our symbolic head of state position to England) is unlikely to change. It seems a long time ago that our Prime Minister visited HRH in 1993 to indicate that an Australian Republic debate was about to break out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    And the current mood is -- as it always is following a royal visit -- that the curious Australian head of state situation (essentially outsourcing our symbolic head of state position to England) is unlikely to change. It seems a long time ago that our Prime Minister visited HRH in 1993 to indicate that an Australian Republic debate was about to break out.

"Curious" is indeed the word. I have family in Adelaide (my aunt and uncle moved there in the 60s - ten pound Poms) and they are staunch republicans. On the basis that there is nothing more satisfying than riling family members I always argue with them about it, but as the years go by it becomes ever harder to do so with a straight face.
  7. The trick is that it is actually very hard to change the Australian constitution, and this interacts with (and perhaps partly causes) the sense of conservatism that a lot of outsiders identify in the Australian character.

But just to give an idea of how hard it is.
    When New Zealand became a truly independent nation, it required a vote in their single house of parliament.
    Australia requires a majority from the people itself, achieved via referendum. A majority of people must vote 'Yes', and 4 out of 6 states must come in on the 'Yes' side of things. Traditionally referendums pass only when both sides of politics (left and right) support them. When a major political party (or the government of the day, in the case of the republican referendum of 1999) actively campaigns against a referendum (and conservative parties usually will), it's dead in the water. Add to this -- changes in the structure of the country are hard & costly to phrase in a series of 'yes' or 'no' questions.
    If the mechanism for changing the constitution was easier, it probably would have happened a while ago. The 90s were ripe for it here, actually. But now I'm not so sure. A lot of young people -- myself included -- have grown up not caring, and I imagine that's largely because of the manner in which Elizabeth II has handled herself and Australia. If you could have a relatively stable foreign figure as your head of state for 50 years, removing electoral agendas and short term election cycles around a president figure or the like, arguably it's not a bad thing. I pity Charles though if he ever gets the throne and Australia somehow finds the poltical momentum to shift away.