• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    Something entirely different, Demetris. A hommage to an old art film called HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR.

Interestingly I had been thinking about exactly such a thing.
    But I'm not sure it'd work in this day and age.

Hiroshima Mon Amour is truly a pinnacle of existentialist thinking, and that is simply not en vogue these days.
    While it would be fascinating to do, the mood is simply not a contemplative or introverted one, even though this situation is in fact unparalleled.

I sense it's a defense mechanism as well: at the end of the day, no one, but NO ONE has ANY idea what REALLY needs to be done. Oh, there's plenty of ideas floating about, but one of the reasons that a much heard criticism here in Europe is the appaling lack of leadership in the crisis, is that there IS nothing to lead. Everyone has an agenda. No one has a clear view.

But the overwhelming attitude -by politicians and politicians alike- is one of a need for resolution. "This needs to be fixed!".

I'm sure in ten years time we'll see a slew of "how did it happen and how did it change us" flms, documentaries and features. But to do one right now would -I guess- cement the fallibility of our systems and our own helplessness and would confirm our lack of understanding. And I think that's something no one is ready for.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011 edited
    Amazingly Papandreou has obtained an agreement within his cabinet to push ahaead with a referendum.
    He's still to get an OK from the parliament, of course. The timing -and indeed the WHY- of this move though is still unclear.

Of course the party line is that "the Greek government wants a solid basis for any agreement, and that there is no doubt of the positive outcome". I find this reasoning to be incredibly optimistic. Not to mention naive. EVEN with the socio-psychological given that any large group fears change in all its form and will ALWAYS speak against major reforms, the mood in Greece has of course been overwhelmingly negative towards Europe. To ask for a vote of confidence now seems like the death stab for the entire deal.

And what with Italy now hanging in the balance, my prediction (for what it's worth) is that Greece will be "allowed" to secede from the monetary union (which means an immediate bankrupcy and years of crisis internally), and rescuing efforts will be redirected towards Italy and Spain.

In fact, the Dutch have already stated that the deal is off if the referendum goes through.
    I fear they are only saying what everyone else is thinking.

In the meantime the market panics. But then the market is a psychotic doe, eternally caught in headlights. So I'm not even particularly bothered by that any more. Some summary executions of investment bankers should restore some peace and order.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well. The Americans are falling for it: "democracy over all". Bloomberg specifically praises the referendum as a wonderful step to bringing these issues closer to the people who decide (forgetting the principles of a representational government because direct democracy simply doesn't work in groups over 20 persons or so, and ignoring the fact these are actually people's lives and livelihoods at stake. Not lofty principles.)

In the meantime France and Germany have summoned (!!!) Papandreou to Cannes for an emergency summit.
    Just on the news was a statement that France will negate on the deal if the referendum goes through. This was stated under a veil of anonimity ("sources in the French government") so we'll have to see whether Sarkozy will actually break out the biggest gun yet.

Meanhwile the Wall Street Journal makes a very good observation that if the Euro Zone is to hold together, France and Germany (and The Netherlands!) need to take a very close look to who the beneficiarties were of the strong currency, and what it's worth to them to go and save it.
  1. For some reason, this really annoys me:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15527534

"US cuts UNESCO funds over vote for Palestinian seat" I don't usually follow stories such as this, but the whole US/Israel attitude doesn't seem to me to help resolve the issues. It always seems to be they talk one way and act another.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    What a chaos, I can't follow anymore.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    For some reason, this really annoys me:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15527534

"US cuts UNESCO funds over vote for Palestinian seat" I don't usually follow stories such as this, but the whole US/Israel attitude doesn't seem to me to help resolve the issues. It always seems to be they talk one way and act another.

The problem here is not so much one of rabid pro-Israeli sentiment today, as it was 20 years ago: apparently in 1990 the US Senate (indeed in a frenzy of rabid pro-Israeli sentiment, widely criticised even back in the day) passed a law that barred any government agency ever contributing anything to anything associated with Palestina.

It's a ridiculous law, but it does put the US in a bit of a quandary today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    What a chaos, I can't follow anymore.

It's really simple. Just follow the road everyone is taking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If the Greeks vote no and let Greece slip out of the Eurozone, it'll be the biggest mistake amidst a horde of bad decisions in the post-war country.

Also, Martijn, i am not too sure how the world media presents it but Greeks aren't anti-Eu at all, i can tell you from living inside the country everyday. They're against all the experiments that are being thrown onto us and against depriving the people the very few money they already get in order to try and pay for the damages. People here have been doing tremendous sacrifices during the last couple of years and only by living here you would understand it; they are prepared to be sacrificed but for a cause, they see things aren't working for us and can't detect and end-cause in all of this, not the slightest sign of improvement in the future. Instead more austerity measures are being thrown upon the people who simply can't work and raise their families anymore, instead of throwing the dogs into the jail and making them pay, i.e. the faulty governments who created the mess and the responsible banks.

You can't make someone who earns 700 euros a month to raise a family in a capitalist country, earn half that amount and still try to live and work in a country that's getting more expensive by day and via ridiculous taxes. Are you aware that they make us pay from 600 euros up to 6000 euros per year for each house we own? Regardless how small it might be, if it's your primary and only residence, if you have family or if you're unemployed. And that's just one of the extreme and illogical measures people have been living under, but with no result, things are getting worse and worse for us. Nobody is anti-Eu, at least not the majority of people, they just want results for their sacrifices and we want to stay in the Euro no matter if it means a further decrease in our everyday living quality; but better days have to come through this. This is what people want and this is why i'll vote yes.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Also, Martijn, i am not too sure how the world media presents it but Greeks aren't anti-Eu at all, i can tell you from living inside the country everyday.

Interesting to read you analyses, D.
    Indeed the majority of news up North suggests that the Greek population is utterly tired of EU meddling (hence the anti-EU sentiments).

When you read more carefully though it generally comes down to an annoyance with French and German (mostly German!) demands, but the overall expectation is that Greece will pretty overwhelmingly vote no (if only because -again according to sources here- they are absolutely disgusted with the government now and are more likely to turn down anything the government comes up with these days).

You're absolutely right by the way: one of the most devastating effects of Greece dropping out of the Eurozone, will be that any savings any Greek has had in Euros on Greek banks, will suddenly be worth far less. The impact on the man in the street will be staggering!

However, staying in the Euro will mean more austerity and more taxes.
    It's a "devil and the deep blue sea" situation. slant

(Incidentally, I personally don't find housing tax illogical or extreme. In fact, it's pretty normal up here and in several other European countries.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    (on your last note: yeah, but this is extra! we already have property owning taxes like every other country, this is an additional emergency fee on housing! and further on: 1. what's the average sallary there? and 2.the governments only take and don't give anything back, in contrast to your governments).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    On the other note, yeah, if they vote no, it's instant doom for the country; no matter how pissed they are with the government, still no is one way. If they vote yes, it's tougher and even harder situations for more years but with an eventual light at the end of the tunnel, hopefully and according to how the world and the e.u will be by then, and also more stability. It's no easy road i am afraid and there are no easy solutions to the problem people have to realize this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    (on your last note: yeah, but this is extra! we already have property owning taxes like every other country

shocked
    Oh!

I wasn't aware of that. shame

And yes, I completely empathise with the rest: the gap between what teachers like Stavi make and the cost they incur is absolutely staggering and shocking. And indeed an excellent case can be made that the taxes we pay up north at least for a goodly part go to projects that will (hopefully) benefit The Netherlands and Europe (yes, yes, there's quite a few critical notes to be made there, but the principle is sound, so let's keep it at that for argument's sake).

For the Greeks it's very clear: you will never see any clear and direct benefit from those tax euros ever.
    It's more like a punitive measure or a fine than a tax.
    slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's no easy road i am afraid and there are no easy solutions to the problem people have to realize this.

Quoted for truth.
    We're all affected, but some (so much!) more than others.

While I'd LOVE to see some people swing for this (honestly, I dont think I've ever been as militant as I feel these days. Had I lived a hundred years earlier I might well have joined the Anarchist moovement), the only thing to do is look forward and build as best we can and not look back.

However galling that is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Exactly. Completely agreeing with you.

I am glad you're also understanding where we stand. As i said, we aren't anti-Eu. Rather the contrary. I, for one, and my family, are accepting / willing to accept even more sacrifices, but for a cause. When it goes for nothing, it fills you with rage. But as you say, it's very possible we are being fined, not taxed in reality. Nothing good is going to come out of it in the end, we are just paying for the big boys' bullcrap, part of which the people of the previous 2 generations are responsible for. Problem is we inherited all that which was made when we weren't even born / or when we were children. This is how the world rolls though i am afraid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Damn D, that's hard to read and imagine.

In the mean time:
    Greek voters would be asked not to approve or reject the terms for Greece's next financial rescue, which European leaders set at a Brussels summit last week, but a broader question centred on support for Greece's membership of the European Union and 17-nation eurozone.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Norway, Australia and The Netherlands are in the top 3 of Human Development Index (http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/). Lots of members here live in these countries. Congrats!

UK is only 28 and just one place ahead of Greece. Belgium is at 18. Congo, our former colony, is the worst country to live in.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The great problem I see is that even if (and it now seems a much bigger if than it did not so long ago) the proposed bailout goes through - I still don't see how Greece is going to cope with what it will be left with. What will happen then - in a few months, will there be another bailout?

For how long will German taxpayers tolerate having to work longer, harder etc in order to subsidise people in poorer countries (not just Greece) who are not doing those things? (I am not trying to incite wrath from any Greeks, by the way - I know that many of them ARE working exceptionally hard for very little reward - but you know what I mean.)

On the wider point - I'm extremely stupid and so probably missing something obvious, as usual - but surely the Euro can never really succeed unless there is genuine and complete fiscal (and not just monetary) union, with harmonised taxation, spending, and all the rest. Without that, surely it's doomed to failure?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011
    Sadly it seems like a failed experiment so far. With no proper foundations and extreme and immature opening. It should have never spread so far so fast.
  2. I'm only following this from afar, but one reaction to this is that I bet people in the UK are glad they didn't ditch the pound now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Jon Broxton wrote
    I'm only following this from afar, but one reaction to this is that I bet people in the UK are glad they didn't ditch the pound now.

Makes sense to me
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    To me too. Although time will tell uk. Uk has a lot of problems too. Us too. And the whole world I would say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    To me too. Although time will tell uk. Uk has a lot of problems too. Us too. And the whole world I would say.

We are a country with problems (a Belgian woman I know told me that we are only 28th in the Human Development Index - whatever that is) but I think we're all pretty pleased that we're not in the Euro. It may have been heavy-handed xenophobia rather than remarkable economic foresight which kept us out, but hey.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

We are a country with problems (a Belgian woman I know told me that we are only 28th in the Human Development Index - whatever that is) but I think we're all pretty pleased that we're not in the Euro. It may have been heavy-handed xenophobia rather than remarkable economic foresight which kept us out, but hey.

At this point I would be happy to be out of he euro too wink but we can. We will never be able now, it's euro or disaster.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Good old John Major.

I hear he's partial to a Currie.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I think that the majority of people in the UK have always been glad we never went into the Euro. As you say, xenophobia rather than economic reasons.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Southern California has its problems too.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  4. NAFTA for the win.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011 edited
    Things are changing rapidly. The eu clearly rejected the Pm's stunt last night and told him the choice is obvious : they are going to save the euro. Not greece, they don't care And they said it. It's either stay in the euro and be saved along with it or get out.

So now after that, his vice president venizelos and the top governing party mp's are departing from the Pm's wish for a referendum. The house is urgently sitting down for talks as we speak. I see the fall of this government ASAP and canceling of the referendum. Let's see what happens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    dizzy
    Kazoo