• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Can we not just wipe the slate clean and start again?

The old Chicxulub solution, eh?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. FalkirkBairn wrote

Indeed. Bring the hot babes to the southern hemisphere. Enough of that mediteranean sun. punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote

We would need a hitler for that. Where is he now?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Paraguay.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Paraguay is the new word for hell?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011 edited
    Whoops!
    Reports emerging from Brussels said that Germany and France had begun preliminary talks on a break-up of the eurozone, amid fears that Italy would be too big to rescue.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011 … ne-breakup
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Apparently Italy is the eighth biggest economy in the world, so I can see where they're coming from.
    It's not the worst solution...UNLESS it's gonna be a straight North-South split, in which case the Euro will become such a high cost currency the North will simply be competed out of the market.

That said, The Grauniad often takes an alarming tone on issues that really aren't as acute as they are.
    The facts are that both France and Germany hold the greatest debts against Italy, and Italy defaulting will have the greatest impact on them. So it's only to be expected they're in emergency talks.

A good and simple analysis here.

We're moving into interesting times, but I'm not overcome by depair.
    My only concern is the lack of decisive action by "Europe". What this crisis shows to me more clearly than anything else, is that the decision making process in Europe is flawed, biased and ineffective (basically nothing that we didn't know before, but its weaknesses and procrastination are now directly effecting the world at large). I am hoping -against hope?- that the European decision making will get a massive overhaul or stronger, more direct decision making chambers.

If that happens, I think the world will make a massive step forward towards stabililty.
    But that is the really big picture.

For me, my future children (if any), things are gonna be rather tough, I fear.
    But even that is relative. We have lived in a pseudo-security. A little anomaly in history. Maybe all we need is a changed mindset, where nothing is taken for granted.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. "preliminary talks"?

With it being The Guardian, a politician asking "what the f*ck are we going to do now?" would be seen as "preliminary talks!

I get the sense that no-one really wants to do much to sort this out - definitely not the markets, or governments (too much self-preservation with regard to financially helping other countries), etc.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    What is a grauniad? dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin

UK inside joke.
    The Guardian used to continuously make the most horrible spelling and typing errors.
    Hence the Grauniad (simply the word "Guardian", jumbled)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh dear. biggrin

I like the Guardian though, but then, I'm a bit of a left wing. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    I like the Guardian though, but then, I'm a bit of a left wing. wink
    bazooka

Anarchist scum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Neocon! Republican Christian capitalist elite! vomit
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    punk

Just point me towards some Africans to oppress!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well Martijn's take is very mature. Never in the history before people spent so much and lived In such illusions of safety, it seems like it's time to break that up and return to natural reality.

Greece has elected new pm and government btw. A man who was vice president of the European bank and is considered a mastermind of economics, plus Germany and France demanded that the new pm would be either him or Simitis.
  3. Was the problem ever about economics? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ouch

We are fucked again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011
    shocked What the FUCK? shocked
    Is it the apocalypse?
    IS IT THE APOCALYPSE?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jeeez! Don't frighten me like that Martijn slant I clicked on that expecting to see news of the 4 Horsemen terrifying all before them or giant lizards from the center of the earth eating cities and drinking seas dry but all it was is a Belgian budget sleep
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You didn't read between the lines.
    After several thousand failures, Belgium is about to have a government again.
    FOR THE FIRST TIME IN ABOUT SIX HUNDRED YEARS!

Surely that's a sign of the apocalypse!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    i was kidding wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ooooooooooooooohhhhh. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011
    I didn't really want to put this in the food topic as that's not a place for politics! So I figured this thread was as good as any.

Dan Schweiger posted this article about Congress 'quietly' lifting a ban on horse slaughter for meat in the US. It's got the usual disgusted reaction, but I was wondering what people here think of it?

This isn't a judgemental thing, I'm always very careful not to give that impression. I'm just curious as to people's thoughts on this. My opinion is that it's no worse than pig or cow slaughter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agreed. No worse, no better.
    In fact, I eat horse meat quite regularly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Just out of curiosity, how does it taste? (I've never tried it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh wait, now it's the wrong thread. dizzy
  4. I've only ever eaten horse meat once, in Paris in the mid 1990s, and I didn't care for the taste of it so I won't ever have it again, but I have no moral issues with those who choose to eat it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jon Broxton wrote
    ...but I have no moral issues with those who choose to eat it.

For the most part, same here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011 edited
    I eat meat from either cows, chickens, sheep or pigs almost on a daily basis, and (when given the chance) will happily ingest rabbit, duck, turkey, goat, and various fish and crustaceans too numerous to mention. I have also eaten alligator, kangaroo, wild boar, pheasant, goose, venison, and buffalo.

I don't see the difference, other than the whole "horses are our friends" business.