• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. That's not the real problem, but it is a very unpleasant side-effect. Reading all the "see, look how unsafe Europe is, good thing we got out" and "thanks a lot, Merkel" bullshit in comments sections from people who voted leave is not a pleasant experience.

(Most) Muslims are not the problem. I'll grant that Islam, the ideology, is. Or religion in general. You never see this sort of thing done in the name of atheism or rational thought...wonder why that is. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    (Most) Muslims are not the problem. I'll grant that Islam, the ideology, is. Or religion in general. You never see this sort of thing done in the name of atheism or rational thought...wonder why that is. slant

Religion is all things to all people, and most people are good or average, even in spite of religions that teach otherwise. This is why confusion abounds with Islam. Clearly not all 1.6 billion Muslims can be bad, therefore Islam can't be bad, and these terrorists aren't 'real Muslims' because it immediately indicts the rest. This is the strawman that critics of the faith have to deal with all the time. They are Muslims, they're just Muslims who take the faith just a little too seriously. (Even Muslims in the West can be oblivious to the specifics of their own faith, and get confused when thugs like ISIS come along, or the appalling statistics that come from any Islamic society. Far left types love to parade these people as examples of the faith, saying we critics are being "Islamophobes", but it obfuscates the core ideas that drive the bad Muslims.)

What should be named and fought are specific ideas, and those who promote and act on them. I don't blame religion. That's right, me, the staunch atheist, does not blame religion. Broadly speaking, I blame faith-based reasoning, but specifically I blame certain facets of certain faiths -- political and jihadist Islam in this instance. I stand with decent religious folk who fight this nonsense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I don't agree and muslims (like Demetris said) are not the problem. Many are born as a muslim, or part of it because of cultural reasons, etc, ... So that was what I wanted to address. However, with all these lone wolves, the thing in Nice could be similar. Remember a similar thing happened some years ago in Netherlands.

I agree that the Islam and other religions have bad ideas and since they have so much influence, it is awful what atrocities can be done in the name of religion. So what Steven said in his last paragraph almost sums up what I think about it, even though I think religion has bad ideas and is to blame at a certain level.

But I could be naive, as I am often.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2016 edited
    Bregt wrote
    I don't agree and muslims (like Demetris said) are not the problem. Many are born as a muslim, or part of it because of cultural reasons, etc, ... So that was what I wanted to address. However, with all these lone wolves, the thing in Nice could be similar. Remember a similar thing happened some years ago in Netherlands.

Except the attack from Karst Tates was directed solely at the royal family. There was no higher goal or intrinsic hatred towards every single person that did not believe the same as he did.
    Horribile dictu, but the bystanders that were killed by his mad drive were collateral damage.

Bouhlel's goal -by his very actions- was to kill as many innocent people as possible. Aside from his truck, he used a firearm, and was overheard to shout Allah Akhbar multiple times.

Even if this was a 'lone wolf' attack -as is quite possible!- rather than an orchestrated, coordinated strike, the very core of the attack was another one: it was still done motivated by religion, with an apocalyptic goal, and likely (an assumption based on the fact that firearms are NOT easy to come by in France) aided and abetted by those with Islamist terrorist links.

So all that remains of the comparison was the use of a motor vehicle in both cases.

At the end of the day, loneliness, mental illness, sad history, missed opportunities and everything else aside, it was based on a book that tells you to destroy those different from yourself.
    Which people following that book do. Time and time and time and time again.

And while I am with Stewart in that we MUST stand by those brave people who, within that religion, condemn and actively fight extremism and radicalism, I also have no qualms at all in utterly condemning people in that sameself religion who are too mentally lazy, indoctrinated, xenophobic or stupid to recognise evil for what it is. Even if it IS the so-called word of God.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    I don't agree and muslims (like Demetris said) are not the problem.

Yes they are, at least a significant amount of them. These are Muslims who are committing these atrocities, not Mormons, Jains, not to mention secularists and atheists.

Many are born as a muslim or part of it because of cultural reasons, etc

Nobody is born a Muslim. Islam is a set of ideas, not an identity like race or gender. But of course this is not how many Muslims see it, and this is how religion survives through indoctrination. As Dawkins has repeatedly said, a child is not a Muslim, a Christian, etc. It is a child with religious parents.

So that was what I wanted to address. However, with all these lone wolves, the thing in Nice could be similar. Remember a similar thing happened some years ago in Netherlands.

There are two problems to address: first, there's the ideology itself. The second problem is about getting people to admit the first problem without deference to apologetics. So I may have misspoke that #NotAllMuslims makes you part of the problem. I should have said it makes you part of the second problem (lest it be misconstrued as nastiness). Your intentions are good, but ultimately misplaced.

it is awful what atrocities can be done in the name of religion.

Not in the name of; as a direct result of. Religion can and has been used as an excuse for personal gain, but when it's ideologically driven, as in the case of these terrorist attacks, religion is the root cause, where other grievances are derived or exacerbated by it.

Edit: I should clarify: specific facets of specific religions are the root cause, not religion in general. That's what I meant by not blaming religion, given its broad definition. The Jains are as inculpable in these terrorist attacks as most Muslims are, but ideas matter, and where they come from have to be shown.
  2. The more I think of it, the more I realize that the whole "religion of peace"/"religion of war", #NotAllMuslims, #NotAllWhatever is quite whitewashing the issue. The real problem that comes with Islam as a religion isn't that it's inherently warmongering or peace-offering. Even looking at the Wikipedia article about killing of whoever in Islam, which is downright laced with quotes from both the Quran and hadith, the official Islamic statement on all things terrorist could be boiled down to:

Well... no... but yes, but no, however, yes, but no, and still... well... and that all ad nauseam.

The fun people have with for example the Christian stance on homosexuality is a quoting game. If you say that being gay is evil, because of Leviticus then let's quote something else from Leviticus that is as absurd if not more (as I don't remember the exact signs on manifestations and parades, I'm not gonna give much of an example). With Islam you could spend years talking to the same imam throwing quotes at them to and fro and it would lead you nowhere.

The problem is that it's both and none at the same time. The lack of centralization is the worst thing and if you look at it, it does seem that many of the terrorist-related fatwas weren't issued by people who got the formal and necessary training to issue them (Al-Qaida, for one, doesn't seem to have a proper Mufti to discuss that). Of course the attacks will be denounced by many and praised by those connected to the IS and, maybe, Al-Qaida, though even not that recently, as the IS seems to be at war with AQ, so the more they can denounce each other on the propaganda level the better (though in case of Al-Qaida it would be hypocritical at best). Hell, even many terrorist organizations DO denounce the IS attacks as they are not attacking the "real" enemy (think Israel), so it becomes quite a complex issue even among the radicals.

What is happening, I think should be looked at from multiple points of view, including attacks on the multi-cultural approach to state (attacking that stance would actually probably make you Christian, because the "Europe for Europeans" stance stems from the idea that the roots of Europe are Christian, which is pretty much bullshit as it ignores the classical tradition wholesale). France, for one, dealt with the multi-cultural approach wrong. It's not about the famous burqa law. It perhaps could've been presented more subtly. The reason why France is attacked so often is, well, first the French caricatures, of course (I wasn't a fan of them, but the response is something quite else), then the fact that the French government (and good that!) was always referring to IS as Daesh, which is a term they downright hate. It was always a symbolic war and I do think that's the basic way to start attacking these movements. So yeah, let's call the Islamist ideology Wahhabi (as opposed to Salafi) or Qutbist (ie. Al-Qaida), because they hate those terms.

I think though that what should be looked at is the cultural war against, generally, immigrants especially late on. In France the first generation of immigrants from the former colonies (it happened after they gained independence, right?), but fast-forwarding to now, these people get worse marks and/or job interview results based on their names alone (there WAS a social experiment when they delivered the same essay to the same teacher, once under a properly French name, once under an Arabic/African one andthat's exactly what happened, the Arabic-named version got worse marks from the get-go, same test was done with job interviews). The problem is that integration is a two-way street and not all, of course, but some people want to integrate and hit a wall. What happened recently in France and Belgium doesn't help the case. And from a propaganda perspective it's a lose-lose situation. The far right rise in the West is in huge part because people stopped believing their governments and felt they have no choice in what they want and in case of the recent refugee crisis... nobody actually listens to "people on the ground". The EU went into panic mode. We need to properly look at what's happening. That's the only way.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The real problem that comes with Islam as a religion isn't that it's inherently warmongering or peace-offering.

It IS inherently warmongering in its teachings after Muhammad left Mecca for Medina. There's no denying that. Just read the various Hadiths. (The Islamic calendar starts in 622, the year Islam took on a more political and war-like persona.)

The peaceful bits are often superseded, 'abrogated', by later, more violent passages (and often interpreted to mean compassion only to the 'right' believers). Couple this with the infallibility of the words, the last and final religion, and you have a recipe for disaster.

it does seem that many of the terrorist-related fatwas weren't issued by people who got the formal and necessary training to issue them

Are you implying that fatwas are legitimate given the proper training? Al Baghdadi has a PhD in Islamic studies. If anyone is to issue a 'legitimate' fatwa, assuming there is any legitimacy to fatwa-giving, it's him. I'm sure the same applies to various other fatwa-givers.

So yeah, let's call the Islamist ideology Wahhabi (as opposed to Salafi) or Qutbist (ie. Al-Qaida), because they hate those terms.

I agree, we should recognise and name the specific ideologies even within political Islam. Unfortunately it has now become incumbent upon us to learn about their bullshit. I find all this stuff tedious, but learn it I must. The more people understand the differences between factions of Islam, the more that Muslim-on-Muslim/non-believers violence will make sense.
  3. In case of Hadith though the legitimacy isn't chronological as it is about how many sources confirm them. So for example there is a well-sourced hadith recommending to read one of the sura featuring a famous quote "to you your religion, to me mine".

There is another thing which makes things a bit complex and that's the issue of jihad itself. Let me give you an example.

Say, a Muslim neurosurgeon performs a life-saving surgery that takes hours, as these things tend to do. Not only, from what I understand, he is allowed to call that jihad (as it most certainly was "a struggle"), but for a religious man it wouldn't be quite improper and shocking if he said "Allahu Akbar" afterwards, even if as a sigh of relief that the patient survived.

On the other side of the spectrum we have a terrorist doing the same thing while blowing himself up and/or shooting innocent people.

What could we make out of that?

Not sure if it's true, but I've heard about an Arab going to a public toilet somewhere in Israel, saying Allahu Akbar after taking a huge dump and being shot by a sniper right afterwards. However, I never confirmed if it's a real story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's all well and good, and no doubt applies to a certain subset of reasonable Muslims. But to great many it does not -- and that's the point. Ideas, no matter how they are construed by others, matter. This is the point you are deflecting from by defending the legitimacy of other interpretations.
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    Not sure if it's true, but I've heard about an Arab going to a public toilet somewhere in Israel, saying Allahu Akbar after taking a huge dump and being shot by a sniper right afterwards. However, I never confirmed if it's a real story.

lol That sounds like something out of South Park!
  5. Steven wrote
    That's all well and good, and no doubt applies to a certain subset of reasonable Muslims. But to great many it does not -- and that's the point. Ideas, no matter how they are construed by others, matter. This is the point you are deflecting from by defending the legitimacy of other interpretations.

My point is really, what can we do to minimize, if not downright ruin, the popularity of the evil ideas within the same religious framework. What can we actually do to make the Jihadi route less viable and popular than it is right now and what can we do to destroy the manipulation. Doing away with the religion will not help, because these thoughts will find a way in otherwise, in different disguises.

Edmund mentions how killing isn't done in name of "atheism or rational thought". The sheer amount of killings done during the French Revolution and Communism (Stalin and Mao alike) says otherwise. And yes, the French Revolution was very highly connected to the Enlightement thought. Communists even made a point (maybe a bit less in Russia) in targeting clergy. I could name you priests murdered by, basically, the state in Poland. It's not so simple. And yes, to those who may not know, communist ideology was vehemently anti-religious.

It's not so simple. The question is as simple as how to make it less of a road one would want to take. The real issue we are dealing with is how these people get recruited in the first place. How to, as you nicely put, "deflect" them from the dangerous ideas by showing them other ways.
  6. I wouldn't consider Maoist or Stalinist communism to be "rational thought", Pawel. And I plead "too long ago" on the French Revolution. tongue

Really the problem is with any ideology that insists its is the only way and that anyone who doesn't subscribe is somehow less or, in the extreme cases, deserves punishment. That includes both religion and something like communism.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    And to be even more blunt, anyone who uses the now-standard #PrayFor[insert place where a Muslim killed people] hashtag is a fucking moron. Pray all you want, but there are people out there actually doing something about it. They #FightIslam.

Yes, I'm angry.

True.

Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Demetris, that is not called for. It is not known yet who did this, so lets wait for that. But apart from that, lets not blame a whole group of people.

We do know. And we know why.

Sorry to put it so bluntly, but if your first thought is #NotAllMuslims, you are part of the problem. This strawman argument (sometimes from good intention) just wastes everybody's time and deflects from the real issue: Islam.

Islam, in its political ideological form, needs to be fought and it needs to die. Many Muslims realise this, but we need more of them.

Agree. This has to end. As fast as possible. Although with the current world leaders, i am afraid it's going to take several more years at least.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    That's not the real problem, but it is a very unpleasant side-effect. Reading all the "see, look how unsafe Europe is, good thing we got out" and "thanks a lot, Merkel" bullshit in comments sections from people who voted leave is not a pleasant experience.

Islam is a huge problem. The ideology and their religion in general, esp. the radical sides of it. End of story. All those Snackbars are a real, a very frighteningly real problem. All around us. And yes, fanatic religious dicks of every kind, not just from Islam, are dangerous and a problem as well, but for the time being, only the religion of piss goes out blowing innocent people up for no reason. And Europe has to do something very fast. It's disjoint and weak right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Can this day get any shittier btw? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 … n-ankara1/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    At least the new vice presidential nominee for the Republican Party in America didn't try to introduce a law earlier this year making funerals mandatory for all dead foetuses, whether as a result of abortion or miscarriage.

Oh, wait, he did.

When I see posts by American friends on Facebook asking how the British can be so stupid as to lend support to Boris Johnson etc... well, really. You've got this game sewn up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Muricans calling others, non-americans, stupid. Lel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fucking hell https://twitter.com/bm21_grad and http://www.breakingnews.com/
  7. If it's what I think it is, the Army is using their constitutional powers against Erdogan. Which means they started considering him going into a religious state.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2016
    What a day!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Edmund mentions how killing isn't done in name of "atheism or rational thought". The sheer amount of killings done during the French Revolution and Communism (Stalin and Mao alike) says otherwise. And yes, the French Revolution was very highly connected to the Enlightement thought. Communists even made a point (maybe a bit less in Russia) in targeting clergy. I could name you priests murdered by, basically, the state in Poland. It's not so simple. And yes, to those who may not know, communist ideology was vehemently anti-religious.

When faith fails, blame atheism.

For the umpteenth time, atheism is not a position, it is the lack of one. Blaming fascism on atheism is like blaming it on tiny mustaches. 20th century fascism were political religions borne of other reasons, whether theistic or not. I'm as against those ideas as I am political Islam. Had we been talking in the 40s, my main concern would of course be Nazism.

As for anti-religion, to imply that the atrocities committed by revolutionists and communists is in any way incumbent upon the brave people who fight theocracy is an insult.

How dare you.
  8. Well, to be honest, that argument could be very well used in terms of the French Revolution. There were many other reasons behind that, but pretty much it was about enforcing Enlightement.

My point is that everything can turn to ideology and I think that a good reframing of the terms would be discussiong ideologies rather than religions themselves. Theocracy, any kind of religion turned political becomes an ideology. On the other hand, secularism going into heavy politics is ALSO an ideology that can become dangerous. It turns to what could be called "usage" of ideas rather than development of ideas. In this understanding, Islamism/Jihadism (as not all is militant, the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt is a political party, Hamas is Jihadist). The issue, I will repeat it as much as I can is whether it turns political or not.

Is religion "usable" by ideologist psychopaths? Sure, better than anything. And what I have been constantly saying in this thread is how to make it less usable. It's not about bringing reason to people or something like that. It's about giving people actual options they could act on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, to be honest, that argument could be very well used in terms of the French Revolution. There were many other reasons behind that, but pretty much it was about enforcing Enlightement.

It really, really, REALLY was not.
    The PRIMARY reason behind the French revolution was to depose the King and change the foreign policy and economic state of France, witha very definite military drive behind it (through Napoleon's machinations). That elements from the enlightenment were used to define some of the actual improvements over the Ancien Régime is hardly cause to BLAME Enlightenment for The Terror.

If we go down that path, you could as well blame Athens fopr introducing democracy, as more democratic ideals are arguably a hugely larger component of the French Revolution than the Enlightenment!

Theocracy, any kind of religion turned political becomes an ideology. On the other hand, secularism going into heavy politics is ALSO an ideology that can become dangerous.

And if my grandmother had wheels and a gun, she'd be a tank.
    Spurious logic, Pawel, and you know it.
    Secularism as an form of state (it's not an ideology. It's a *principle*) does not have a "book" of "universal and unassailable truth" that causes people to kill people that disagree with that book. If you continue to define principles as if they were religions we're getting into ridiculously murky waters, as following your logic the law is an ideology, and is in fact a "book of unassailable truths" that in some societies actually causes people who contravene against the rules in the book to be killed.

It's NOTHING as postmodenistically convoluted as an "abuse of ideas" in the sense that any and every idea can potentially be dangerous. That's not only muddying the water, it's an obfuscation. It's about ONE BOOK, containing the UNCHANGED AND UNCHANGEABLE WORD OF GOD. And that book tells people to kill people who disagree. And people take it literally. As they should. As it's the unchanged, unchangeable...etc.
    The only option that will work is if that very idea is successfully challenged, and religion-once again- becomes a very personal relation with whatever higher power suits you.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. I am not that sure. First, nobody really denies the legal secularism. Unless it goes crazily ideological as in the case of communists (while maybe not openly legal, religious leaders have been targeted by special forces in the Soviet bloc and China), then secularism in the legal sense means, for me, not the opposite to religion, but more like having nothing to do with religion.

But if the idea is generally and openly targeting religion as "the opium of the masses", then that openly suggests that this kind of targeting is very much supported. What I am purporting throughout is that it also can get quite radical.

What I am discussing here explains, on a sidenote, the connection we have with Catholic Church in Poland. Now it became very ideological, but the thing is that for at least 50 years if not somewhat more, the church has been one of the strongest defenders of Polish independence against both Nazis and Communists. Priests were targeted (from internment to downright state-sponsored murder) by both Germans and our own government (hell, one was even beatified recently) and the fact that John Paul II had a very strong influence on the fall of the regime in Poland is not deniable. It even went as far as to Reagan actually sharing intelligence with the Pope about what was happening in Poland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    White noise, Pawel. White noise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I am not that sure. First, nobody really denies the legal secularism. Unless it goes crazily ideological as in the case of communists (while maybe not openly legal, religious leaders have been targeted by special forces in the Soviet bloc and China), then secularism in the legal sense means, for me, not the opposite to religion, but more like having nothing to do with religion.

But if the idea is generally and openly targeting religion as "the opium of the masses", then that openly suggests that this kind of targeting is very much supported. What I am purporting throughout is that it also can get quite radical.

This only suggests you completely misunderstand what secularism is. or are stretching the definition beyond all recognition.
    Secularism is neither the opposite of religion, nor anti-religion.
    It's the principle that state and church are divided. No more. No less.
    The effect of that principle is that religion (or better: religious institutes) have no place in government. No more. No less.

The killing of priests, and anti-religious sentimens in the old Soviet Union were based on radical Marxist and Leninist teachings. It was a part of one totalitarian ideology, trying to get rid of its competitors. It's got SOD-ALL to do with secularism.

No one was EVER killed in the name of secularism.
    No one was EVER killed in the name of atheism.
    Anyone claiming otherwise is simply conflagrating, misunderstanding or-in the worst case (which, by the way, I'm certainly not saying you are doing, Pawel!)- misdirecting definitions.

What I am discussing here explains, on a sidenote, the connection we have with Catholic Church in Poland. Now it became very ideological, but the thing is that for at least 50 years if not somewhat more, the church has been one of the strongest defenders of Polish independence against both Nazis and Communists. Priests were targeted (from internment to downright state-sponsored murder) by both Germans and our own government (hell, one was even beatified recently) and the fact that John Paul II had a very strong influence on the fall of the regime in Poland is not deniable. It even went as far as to Reagan actually sharing intelligence with the Pope about what was happening in Poland.

Absolutely.
    ...but the Catholic Church striving for independence from (some would suggest 'other'...(sorry, I had to) ) evil ideologies has nothing to do with secularism, so I'm not entirely sure what your point is here?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2016 edited
    Martijn wrote
    The only surprise is that IS did not claim the attack. Yet.

Annnd they just did.
    Far too late, in my opinion, to be properly credible, especially as we now already know that Bouhel was not a very religious man (he was at least no regular visitor of ANY of Nice's 18 mosques).

So at this point it doesn't look like a clearly organised attack by an IS cell, but rather a thoroughly disenfranchised, dangerous individual grabbing on to the tool of Islamism flouted liberally through IS and their ilk to justify indiscriminate mass murder.
    IS may be responsible, but only in the sense that they actively call on the insane, the criminal and psychopath to take up arms and destroy. In this case they're the equaivalent of a gun dealer on the street handing out weapons to only the most wild-eyed, scary individuals he sees.

In that sense I agree with a French publiciit (whose name I can't for the life of me remember...Popel?) who sugegsted that it's not Islam that is radicalised. It's radicalism that is Islamised. He absolutrely has a point.
    So here I agree with Pawel that ONE of the tools to stem this tide is indeed to offer the severely disenfranchised ANOTHER way out. ... though now the challenge is only to figure out what these 'other ways' may be, as none of the classic occidental socialist/liberal tenets actually still hold water: a disturbing part of radicals is in fact NOT poor, uneducated, jobless and/or mentally ill.

But to be sure: that by no means undercuts the necessity to alter the tool -Islam- itself.
    As long as it is still widely believed and proclaimed (by the powers in Islam(ic regions) that matter) that it is and remains the one word of the one god, and that everything not adhering to it is inherently wrong and should be eradicated, IS' conviction and propaganda retains a firm footing, and will keep finding fruitful ground to further its apocalyptic world vision.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2016 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    If it's what I think it is, the Army is using their constitutional powers against Erdogan. Which means they started considering him going into a religious state.

It already failed.
    I am tempted to say "unfortunately", because Erdogan and his cronies are setting up to become a deeply disturbing theocratic power, squarely grounded in Islam, with a deep irreverence and disdain for western values (while, of course, still lobbying to get European money), human rights, freedom of speech and minorities.

But the Turkish army since long hasn't been the keeper of democracy and the constitution, and rumours are that the coup was staged by Erdogan's erstwhile spritual competitor Gulen, so that would just exchange one theocrat for another.

But while I usually frown on conspiracy theories, the whole thing was over SO fast, that I am very tempted to think this was at least *facilitated* by Erdogan to give him the room he needs to start pruning the armed forces of elements unsympathetic towards him.

Most disturbing is the massive outpour of support on the streets for Erdogan, suggesting most of the population is supporting this very dangerous, very dictatorial man. In the Netherlands Turks even went on to the streets, demanding our prime minister speak out to support Erdogan and even going so far as to physically attack reporters who had the "audacity" to question Erdogan's record on human rights.

Looks like the man has his supporters in such an iron vise that even abroad his 'citizens' (you can retain your Turkish citizenship even when you're born Dutch as long as your parents are Turkish) who never even have set FOOT in Turkey, are perfectly happy to act as a kind of militant 5th column. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    The only surprise is that IS did not claim the attack. Yet.

Annnd they just did.
    Far too late, in my opinion, to be properly credible, especially as we now already know that Bouhel was not a very religious man (he was at least no regular visitor of ANY of Nice's 18 mosques).

So at this point it doesn't look like a clearly organised attack by an IS cell, but rather a thoroughly disenfranchised, dangerous individual grabbing on to the tool of Islamism flouted liberally through IS and their ilk to justify indiscriminate mass murder.
    IS may be responsible, but only in the sense that they actively call on the insane, the criminal and psychopath to take up arms and destroy. In this case they're the equaivalent of a gun dealer on the street handing out weapons to only the most wild-eyed, scary individuals he sees.

In that sense I agree with a French publiciit (whose name I can't for the life of me remember...Popel?) who sugegsted that it's not Islam that is radicalised. It's radicalism that is Islamised. He absolutrely has a point.
    So here I agree with Pawel that ONE of the tools to stem this tide is indeed to offer the severely disenfranchised ANOTHER way out. ... though now the challenge is only to figure out what these 'other ways' may be, as none of the classic occidental socialist/liberal tenets actually still hold water: a disturbing part of radicals is in fact NOT poor, uneducated, jobless and/or mentally ill.

But to be sure: that by no means undercuts the necessity to alter the tool -Islam- itself.
    As long as it is still widely believed and proclaimed (by the powers in Islam(ic regions) that matter) that it is and remains the one word of the one god, and that everything not adhering to it is inherently wrong and should be eradicated, IS' conviction and propaganda retains a firm footing, and will keep finding fruitful ground to further its apocalyptic world vision.

WORD! Fucking word mate.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt