• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ralph speaks the truth.

Rarely wink tongue

OOHHH! The gauntlet has been lain down!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009 edited
    Guys.

I can hear you.

Oh.

I forgot.

You don´t care.

Meh.
  1. The Promise (Klaus Badelt)

Counting the fact this comes from one of the RC guys this is a gorgeous work, that works fantastically at the start of the album, but gets a little repetitive and uninspired near the end. Still the themes are the main reason this score works. But now for my main gripe: why oh why doesn't that utterly beautiful 'Freedom of the Wa' get another treatment in the whole score??? I don't get it, the best melody on the whole album appears only once, at the start, and in the film it's used in the end credits. !!! Frickin' ridiculous! crazy But the score is really quite good, just not a masterpiece as some reviews have led to believe.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    D wave

Here's that Ernest Gold theme I was talking about recently...

CROSS OF IRON

Go to approximately the 2.30 mark.

Gold sure could write a superb theme.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    D wave

Here's that Ernest Gold theme I was talking about recently...

CROSS OF IRON

Go to approximately the 2.30 mark.

Gold sure could write a superb theme.

Absolutely fantastic! Is the rest of the score as good?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Promise (Klaus Badelt)

Counting the fact this comes from one of the RC guys this is a gorgeous work, that works fantastically at the start of the album, but gets a little repetitive and uninspired near the end. Still the themes are the main reason this score works. But now for my main gripe: why oh why doesn't that utterly beautiful 'Freedom of the Wa' get another treatment in the whole score??? I don't get it, the best melody on the whole album appears only once, at the start, and in the film it's used in the end credits. !!! Frickin' ridiculous! crazy But the score is really quite good, just not a masterpiece as some reviews have led to believe.

I'd in fact differentiate Klaus Badelt from the bunch of the RC guys, his work showcases as such, so far.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I wish I could remember? It's been a long time since I've seen the film, which I should add is very VERY good, a very powerful film, check it out if you get the chance!?

Unfortunately the soundtrack is made up of a lot of source music from the period ( I only own it on LP ).

Anyone else here know more??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is there a good re-recording, like EXODUS?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not as far as I know? A real shame, it really is one of the great ( and hardly ever heard ) themes IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, i've listened to it 5 times in a row! Those ERNEST GOLD themes are purely infectious, beyond words' beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I just found out that the CD got released by Artemis, a boot with LP transfer.

No legit release slant
  2. Caught the opening credits to the film "Divorce American Style". Anybody know if the rest of the score is as good as the opening credits? Dave Grusin is the composer, for those curious.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RED HEAT - James Horner

I can never make it through the whole CD but there are a couple of good funky action tracks that I love and that's what I'm just about to play cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

I can never make it through the whole CD but there are a couple of good funky action tracks that I love and that's what I'm just about to play cool

I don't have that one. Is it the one with the amusingly undisguised Prokofiev rip-off? (Which sounds a bit like Basil's amusingly undisguised Prokofiev rip-off in Hunt for Red October.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2009
    NP:Ninht Gate (Kilar)

Mmmmm.... "vocalise" is a beautiful track. It reminds me to Morricone.

I wonder what "ghosbusters motif" is doing here, tought tongue spin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

I don't have that one. Is it the one with the amusingly undisguised Prokofiev rip-off? (Which sounds a bit like Basil's amusingly undisguised Prokofiev rip-off in Hunt for Red October.)

Yeap!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Ninht Gate (Kilar)

Mmmmm.... "vocalise" is a beautiful track. It reminds me to Morricone.

I wonder what "ghosbusters motif" is doing here, tought tongue spin

Give it plenty of listens....you'll love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2009 edited
    REINHOLD HEIL / JOHNNY KLIMEK / TOM TYKWER - Perfume: the story of a murderer

One of the best scores of the last 5 years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

Totally agree. It left me a great impression after watching the film, and it works wonders as an isolated listening experience. "Meeting Laura" is one of these tracks you can´t forget.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Coco Avant Chanel - Alexandre Desplat

Lovely work! This man is undoubtedly one of the most talented modern film music composers. This is by far my favourite score from him this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Totally agree. It left me a great impression after watching the film, and it works wonders as an isolated listening experience. "Meeting Laura" is one of these tracks you can´t forget.

I'd add: LOST LOVE, THE METHOD WORKS!, RICHIS'S ESCAPE, THE CROWD EMBRACE, PERFUME-DISTILLED to the list. All exception pieces, and the music is wonderful, the sound by the Berliner Philharmonic and the Latvia choir is simply fascinating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Coco Avant Chanel - Alexandre Desplat

Lovely work! This man is undoubtedly one of the most talented modern film music composers. This is by far my favourite score from him this year.

Couldn't agree more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I'd add: LOST LOVE, THE METHOD WORKS!, RICHIS'S ESCAPE, THE CROWD EMBRACE, PERFUME-DISTILLED to the list. All exception pieces, and the music is wonderful, the sound by the Berliner Philharmonic and the Latvia choir is simply fascinating.

Indeed. I mentioned "Meeting Laura" simply to mention one cue, but the same could be said about the rest of the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Not in my case. Long-forgotten!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Bah.....you think Untraceable is excellent tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It always amazed me how you personally isn't fond of this score, it's one of the most intense musical experiences someone gave us in an otherwise dry and uninspired film music field of the last years. What is it that you don't like exactly? Are you sure you gave it enough attention ? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It always amazed me how you personally isn't fond of this score, it's one of the most intense musical experiences someone gave us in an otherwise dry and uninspired film music field of the last years. What is it that you don't like exactly? Are you sure you gave it enough attention ? smile

I think so, but it's been a while. If I'm remembering the right score, then it sounded to me like it was an attempt by people who can't write for orchestra, to write for orchestra. Didn't think it was awful, but not my thing at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think that's the point. The writing is excellent, very up to date and the orchestration is very coherent and balanced, very surprisingly i must say 'cause they normally don't work with the orchestra. But if i am not mistaken, they have classical musical training, despite their later involvement with electronic music and all. Pieces like the ones Marcel and me listed above are simply beautiful and the Berliner Philharmoniker along with the range of soloists that worked for this movie, did an outstanding job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ah. It seems I thought there were nice tunes, but that was all.

http://www.movie-wave.net/titles/perfume.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I really enjoy that score too. It sounds like what perfume smells like. Srsly.