• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009
    It's in my 'Speaker Test' playlist. I think the title speaks for itself. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    HANS ZIMMER - the last samurai

A restrained and balanced, mature effort by Zimmer that shines for its melody and themes.

Absolutely, one of my favourites by Hans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Conan The Barbarian - Basil Poledouris

No need to explain. Excellent score! punkpunkpunkpunkpunk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good idea Ravi except I'm going to give it's lesser brother a spin...

NP : CONAN THE DESTROYER - Basil Poledouris

Nowhere near the heights of the original but still a darn good rollicking score!

Have you heard this one Ravi?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Haven't heard it yet, will check it out. Is the Riders Of Doom theme featured in it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (complete recordings) Howard Shore

3 Cds is a bit daunting, but this and the two other score are certainly worthy of such long lengths. The experience, if you're willing to sit through all of it, is infinitely more rewarding than the regular albums. You do need to book a day off work or from any plans you have to try it out though...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009 edited
    I was playing: L.A Confidential.

"bloody chrstmas" is great, of course. The rest creats the mood, but not the feeling. The percusive elements are quite interesting.

I don't think it deserved to be more nominated than, for example, Medicine man or Ghost and the Darkness (If Williams was nominated for harry potter films..)

NP:The Russia House (Goldsmith)

I'm trying to listen these jazzy or noir scores. I'm not a fan of this genre, but this score seems to be considereted one of the best compositions of Goldsmith.

Let me try one more time....the Duduk performance is great.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Haven't heard it yet, will check it out. Is the Riders Of Doom theme featured in it?

No but it has other good original material, featuring ( for want of a better description ) more mystical, magical music and one fantastic, powerhouse of a piece called Crystal Palace which is about as muscular as Arnold himself.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thanks, will check it out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote

3 Cds is a bit daunting, but this and the two other score are certainly worthy of such long lengths. The experience, if you're willing to sit through all of it, is infinitely more rewarding than the regular albums. You do need to book a day off work or from any plans you have to try it out though...

And now for something completely different...

The Departed
    Howard Shore

Nah, this can't be the same guy? Really enjoyable album this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote

And now for something completely different...

The Departed
    Howard Shore

Nah, this can't be the same guy? Really enjoyable album this one.

I prefer the LOTR regular albums and i completely agree with you on THE DEPARTED. I was listening to the equally great THE AVIATOR today as well. Such a gifted composer who's been snoozing for a while now...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SOMMERSBY - Danny Elfman

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: How To Make An American Quilt - Thomas Newman

God, I love Newman's writing for woodwinds. Gorgeous stuff.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

I prefer the LOTR regular albums and i completely agree with you on THE DEPARTED. I was listening to the equally great THE AVIATOR today as well. Such a gifted composer who's been snoozing for a while now...

It's certainly not been the most exciting year for Shore, but I guess we score fans tend to expect a lot at times. I'm sure we'll get another great score from him, but we just need to wait until he gets the right project (The Hobbit? Is he still on that?).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's certainly not been the most exciting year for Shore, but I guess we score fans tend to expect a lot at times. I'm sure we'll get another great score from him, but we just need to wait until he gets the right project (The Hobbit? Is he still on that?).

I am not saying the contrary, i.e. that he's lost it or anything, but his recent scores are certainly on a huge downdraft of inspiration. It's not only in LOTR he deliver exceptional music in the past and i am not comparing everything he writes to LOTR. But still, i think he's on a JNH-like backdraft, just like the one the latter passed some years ago and has thankfully "resurrected" since! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Eastern Promises Howard Shore

Wonderful melancholic music to go with my cold at the moment. Quite a beautiful theme on this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009
    NP:Extreme prejudice (goldsmith)

First Listen.

The western homenage with this synthetic elements are quite interesting. Are worst things out there, you must be sure. it's not goldsmith worst score in any way....

The Rambo elements are welcomed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I would hope he's given generous time to write it as with LOTR.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Played:

For the Record - Craig Armstrong Ghent album
    Some of Armstrong's albums are a bit difficult for me to listen to from start to finish, that's why I was glad to get this compilation. Great music all around and even if the CD is close to 80 minutes, it's not boring at all. You can hear Armstrong in romantic, suspense, choral etc. mood. A great album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Green Mile Thomas Newman

The last track is as sad and emotional as looking into the face of a terminally ill puppy. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BARTLOMIEJ GLINIAK - Teah

Armand Amar meats Philip Glass, just like.......well, Armand Amar wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Speed Racer (Giacchino)

I love it!!! Specially the triumphalistic crescendo in some tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009 edited
    El Cid (Miklos Rozsa)

I can understand the unconditional love for this one by some people and I absolutely think the themes in this score are fantastic, but I could never put it alongside that holy trilogy of film music (you know the one I mean). For me there are just too many moments the score solely works as background music (which is fine in the film I guess, but not on CD), and the repetitive use of themes can get a little tiring. That's also the problem with this double-disc set, maybe I'd better make myself a single CD play-list to get more enjoyment out of it. But there's no denying the score sounds epic, lush and spectacular in every way (thanks to this new recording and The Prague Philharmonic & Nic Raine: you did a great job guys). We all like to remember the times such film scoring was the rule, rather than the exception. For that alone I'm glad I have found this little jewel, thanks to some friendly people around here. wave
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : VERTIGO - Bernard Herrmann

Classic cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009 edited
    I was playing 3 Goldsmith scores wich I already know I didn't like in the past....

Hoosiers (Goldsmith)

It was my first listen. I always stop to play it after the first track. Too dated. Now I have heard the whole score, I think it's not so annoying like I tought, but it's a highly repetitive score (as much as Rudy is ) and the electronics are outdated as hell. Some mix of Synth and orchestra are really interesting...

The Russia House (Goldsmith)

Another repetitive score. I like the Duduk stuff, and the love theme is nice. But the overuse of the main theme and the jazzy elements (specially in family arrives) doesn't help to my final enjoyment.

The Last Castle

The Rambo III theme here, it's a movie more typical from Horner than any other compsoer.

It's an average and uninspired, but it can be an Ok listening at the background. There are a couple of Rambo-like action pieces that are strong enough

NP: Star Trek Insurrection

A great mix of Powder with Total Recall and US marhalls.

Ok, the action stuff is a little bit static, but overall is a great listening!!!!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009
    Nautilus wrote

Amazingly fun score punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Panthera wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Amazingly fun score punk

It's TRIUMPHALISTIC!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - Nicholas Hooper

Excellent score by Hooper! i like it so what? smile
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009 edited
    Sunil wrote
    i like it so what? smile

Exactly.

-Erik-

PS - Weak, weak score!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sunil wrote
    Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - Nicholas Hooper

Excellent score by Hooper! i like it so what? smile

I must admit I've been giving it a lot of listens to, mostly as background music while studying. Makes for a good listen without getting too intrusive.