• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009
    I was playing: Lady In the water (JNH)

Revisiting this one. Since the realease I didn't listen it anymore. I love it!

The main theme is good even with this Danny Elfman choral elements.

"charades" contains some elements than reminds me to "flying the westlands" from Final Fantasy.

Sadly the movie was so, so stupid. One of the stupidest movies I ever seen.

NP:Muppet Treasure island (Zimmer)

I knew what track was by HGW since the first time I listen it because it was the less played tracks tongue

Pure Zimmer, play it loud!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009 edited
    NP: Okuribito (Departures) - Joe Hisaishi

Why so many melodies he produces can touch me so much? Nostalgia effects a bit, but it's not only the reason...

At first, I thought some themes are a little weak compared to the great main theme, but after watching the first half of the film (it was on TV), I'm liking them more.

The movie looked very interesting, by the way. Must watch it wholly sooner or later. smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    DemonStar wrote
    Sunil wrote
    Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - Nicholas Hooper

Excellent score by Hooper! i like it so what? smile

I must admit I've been giving it a lot of listens to, mostly as background music while studying. Makes for a good listen without getting too intrusive.

I was pleasantly surprised with this score. After being very disappointed with Order of the Phoenix, this score was a huge improvement.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HELLRAISER - Christopher Young

'come to daddy'
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009 edited
    Hellraiser: This score will tear your soul APAAAART !!!!!

Lost in Space (Bruce Broughton)

Delightful adventure music, one of the most consistently fanfaristic from Broughton yet. I absolutely love the energy in the action cues at the start and end of the album. Gorgeous themes and excitement in abundance. Love it !!! cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : HELLRAISER - Christopher Young

'come to daddy'

punk cool
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Informant - Marvin Hamlisch

I like this score. It's a great throwback to the classic 60s-70s pop filmmusic, brimming with melodies and fun arrangements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009 edited
    Listened to last night-

Austin Wintory - Captain Abu Raed
    Pretty good but it sounded a little fragmented upon first listen. There are some nice melodic ideas but I'd have liked it if it were all tied up together.

A R Rahman - Couples Retreat
    Fun score. He does go overboard with the dramatic stuff but it's a romantic comedy so I guess one shouldn't nitpick much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009
    BhelPuri wrote

Fun score. He does go overboard with the dramatic stuff but it's a romantic comedy so I guess one shouldn't nitpick much.

Or shouldn't nitpick at all wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

You realise of course that not to nitpick would be to give a more generous opinion of something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

Delightful adventure music, one of the most consistently fanfaristic from Broughton yet. I absolutely love the energy in the action cues at the start and end of the album. Gorgeous themes and excitement in abundance. Love it !!! cheesy

Deserves to be a classic in my not-so-humble opinion.
  1. Agreed! It's one I regularly return to, and I always feel extremely happy afterward, because the music is so inspired and tremendous fun. It turns the movie into a guilty pleasure for me. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Beyond Borders - James Horner
    It's one of those rare scores that I like less and less by each listen. At first I really loved the African chant-based theme and I found the score interesting but now the synthesizer themes annoy me and I find this CD a quite boring listen. I still like the African theme and the other romantic theme heard in the Cambodia section of the score but that 's not enough to make me revisit this score often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

You realise of course that not to nitpick would be to give a more generous opinion of something.

I meant it as a not bother at all with this one but you're so right and i am so shameful. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Deserves to be a classic in my not-so-humble opinion.

Unlikely. It's very rare that a score transcends a mediochre film, both Conan The Barbarian and Somewhere In Time spring to mind.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Regardless of whether it will ever become a classic or not doesn't negate the fact that I think it deserves to be a classic. wink (I enjoy the film, even for all its many flaws, but the score outshines the film to an infinitesimal amount.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    QB VII Jerry Goldsmith

'Rekindling the Flame of Jehovah' and 'Jadwiga Relived' are two very contrasting pieces played one after the other on this album, both brilliant in their own right. The former is very much Under Fire meets Masada with its catchy melodies and 'Jewish' rhythms, whereas the latter is truly horrific, especially when you consider the subject matter. One of Goldsmith's scariest pieces of music no doubt.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Regardless of whether it will ever become a classic or not doesn't negate the fact that I think it deserves to be a classic. wink (I enjoy the film, even for all its many flaws, but the score outshines the film to an infinitesimal amount.)

I agree on both points. The film is very watchable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Michl Britsch - pandorum (2009)

Interesting dark score so far with balanced brooding electronics and Zimmer-esque brass / strings' section but is this guy seriously named MICHL BRITSCH ?!?!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote

Interesting dark score so far with balanced brooding electronics and Zimmer-esque brass / strings' section but is this guy seriously named MICHL BRITSCH ?!?!?

4th piece down the album i discovered heavy Tyler Bates-ish electronic noise. Why or why? confused rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009 edited
    ...and 6th piece down here comes the Djawadi grungy guitar rock crap-noise! contamination has already begun, imo....anyway, who cares. --> delete
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer

One of his best scores, and very enjoyable score album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KING RAT - John Barry

Love the fantastic purcussive build up to the march in the main title. This is a mostly moody work and it suits the grey, wet day outside.

I do enjoy this score but it's not one I return to often.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE UNTOUCHABLES - Ennio Morricone

Pure class! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Pure class! cool

Love the music on CD, HATE the score in the movie.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Christodoulides wrote

I listened to the clips for this and was immediately turned off by what I heard.

Whenever people describe the music as being "effective in the film" then the alarm bells tend to ring. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I listened to the clips for this and was immediately turned off by what I heard.

Whenever people describe the music as being "effective in the film" then the alarm bells tend to ring. wink

Well nowadays this means drone, it seems. The first piece was promising, the rest is Tyler Bates-ish crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009
    NP: Order Of War - Jeremy Soule

I think James Southall's review pretty well nailed it.
    This really is "first-rate music which makes for a hugely-enjoyable album".
    Sure the orchestra is synthetic as with all of Soule's music. But it's so well produced!
    I've come to appreciate synthetic orchestras by the likes of Soule now.
    Very rewarding to listen to!

I know, I know. You can't beat a real orchestra. But once you adapt it's really quite a satisfying medium.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atham wrote
    Sure the orchestra is synthetic as with all of Soule's music. But it's so well produced!

Not ALL of Soule's music is synthetic. His Harry Potter scores are performed by a full symphony orchestra.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Pure class! cool

Love the music on CD, HATE the score in the movie.

-Erik-

Really? I thought it was great in the film too.