• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2009
    I work slowly that's for sure
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Better slowly than not at all (as in myself).

Keep it up! cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Forever Young (Goldsmith)

I can't undestand why this score is so forgotten.

The love theme is one of the bests from Goldsmith. Really tender and touching.

and tracks like "test flight" are full of Goldsmith 90's fanfarres and ryhtms.

a really forgotten gem.
  2. I love it too but it's hardly forgotten, unlike the movie.

Splendid action cues and gorgeous love theme which gets its glorious rendition in a brilliant finale cue. One of his better from the 90s I would say.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Angels & Demons - Hans Zimmer

Just saw around the 3:00 mark in the track 160 BPM, the rapid staccato strings are indeed playing at around 160 beats per minute. At least my experiment in FL Studio says so. cool Anyway, really fun score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP The Scarlet Tunic (John Scott)

Had to play a good Scott score to try to forget what I just saw and listened in Tim´s "The Good.... The Bad..... But The Mostly Cheesy!!!" thread. Much better now.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hey Marcel, I just checked on IMDB and found Yor was co-composed by Guido & Maurizio De Angelis, having heard some of their stuff before ( Watch Out We're Mad ) that song is TOTALLY them and NOT Scott. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nice, I´m really relieved. Attaching that song to Scott was close to a fellony.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. Timmer wrote
    Hey Marcel, I just checked on IMDB and found Yor was co-composed by Guido & Maurizio De Angelis, having heard some of their stuff before ( Watch Out We're Mad ) that song is TOTALLY them and NOT Scott. wink

They didn't co-compose, it was a case of other country rescoring. I assure you, Scott had nothing to do with them just as Morton Stevens has nothing to do with them on "Great White" (same situation).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2009 edited
    Well, that's what I meant anyway. Marcel understood.

yes, co-composed was the wrong phrase
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH - David Arnold

I always underestimate this, and I really shouldn't as it's a bloody fantastic Bond score. "I Never Miss" and "Submarine" are absolutely brilliant. A shame the "Snow Business" and "Kazakhstan" cues were cut from the soundtrack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009 edited
    'Caviar Factory' = perhaps Arnold's coolest rendition of the Bond theme?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009
    Nah, by far it's in "Come In 007, Your Time Is Up".

There's so much action music on that CD is quite unbelievable how it all fits into a single film. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote

There's so much action music on that CD is quite unbelievable how it all fits into a single film. cool

I'm with you. "caviar factory" was my favourite track from the world is not enough but now I think it's a too over the top track.

Anyway, "pipeline" is my favourite track from the soundtrack and one of Arnold's best.

NP:Alien (Goldsmith)

While i'm studying.

I don't like the main theme, and the action stuff is really makes me headache.

But the atmosphere created by Goldsmith is sublime and it's one of the most creative scores ever.
    I could like to analyse what are the diferences between Goldsmith and Horner's sounds for the Aliens...maybe someday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote

That's the best one in my opinion, but I think 'Cavier Factory' is perhaps the "coolest" version, for me at least.

It's unbelievable how terrible that movie is, that's for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The holiday (Zimmer)

I love it, I love it...I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because:

1-it's positive and charming (instead the drama of As good as it gets and Spanglish)
    2-Because the arrengements are fresh , colorful and
    3-in every track are credited the composers.
    4-Suzanne singing, Zimmer playing the piano.
    5-Because "Maestro" , "dream Kitchen", "Defenitly unexpected" and "Cry" are some of the most lovely track by Zimmer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Star trek III

I always enjoyed much more this one than Star trek II. The versions of the main theme are more agressive and less obvious. For Example the sublime stealing the enterprise.

It's me or The Katra Ritual has some string crescendo similar to Williams E.t?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Star trek III

I always enjoyed much more this one than Star trek II. The versions of the main theme are more agressive and less obvious. For Example the sublime stealing the enterprise.

It's me or The Katra Ritual has some string crescendo similar to Williams E.t?

I'd have to play them back to back but I think you have a point Jordi.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

That's the best one in my opinion, but I think 'Cavier Factory' is perhaps the "coolest" version, for me at least.

It's unbelievable how terrible that movie is, that's for sure.

It is terrible but I still enjoy it....I'm such a Bond noob.

Best track on the album? Ice Bandits for me, 'Come In 007, Your Time Is Up' is too OTT, now I love OTT at times but just not in this fashion.
  4. Muppet Treasure Island (Hans Zimmer & Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil)

It's been absolute ages since I listened to this. shocked Utterly charming, fun and spirited, this is the kind of scoring that made me a Zimmer fan. But the best part of this soundtrack are the songs by Mann & Weil which have that incredibly addictive sing-along quality to them. Which is what you need at the base for a pirate film involving muppets. So in that respect this album is brilliantly presented. The second part consists of Zimmer score which is swashbuckling goodness!
    ARRRRR MATEY, THIS BE FINE INDEED !!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Salute to Hollywood - Various Artists
    John Williams and the Boston Pops Orchestra

Just got this one and it's absolutely delightful. Genres range from Judy Garland musicals to the devilish The Witches of Eastwick. Even La Bamba gets the Williams pops treatment. Looking at the track listing alone and you wonder how all of these different films work together. An American Tail and a Fred Astaire tribite on the same album?! But the arrangements by the likes of Morton Stevens and Herbert Spencer bring all of these different tones and emotions together into one very satisfying listen. Superb performances with a clear and punchy recording by John Newton.

Up Next... The Golden Compass - Alexandre Desplat

Desplat is still a curiosity. I really, really want to like his music but their is always something missing. There is an on going discussion at Filmtracks about the music of Desplat and this score popped up again. Someone... I think it was Jon Broxton... mentioned that you have to WORK at listening to this particular score. I don't know if I ever have read a more cold statement concerning a score that basically sucks the fun out of listening to music. Anyway, I will give this one it yet ANOTHER chance.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Salute to Hollywood - Various Artists
    John Williams and the Boston Pops Orchestra

Just got this one and it's absolutely delightful. Genres range from Judy Garland musicals to the devilish The Witches of Eastwick. Even La Bamba gets the Williams pops treatment. Looking at the track listing alone and you wonder how all of these different films work together. An American Tail and a Fred Astaire tribite on the same album?! But the arrangements by the likes of Morton Stevens and Herbert Spencer bring all of these different tones and emotions together into one very satisfying listen. Superb performances with a clear and punchy recording by John Newton.

Up Next... The Golden Compass - Alexandre Desplat

Desplat is still a curiosity. I really, really want to like his music but their is always something missing. There is an on going discussion at Filmtracks about the music of Desplat and this score popped up again. Someone... I think it was Jon Broxton... mentioned that you have to WORK at listening to this particular score. I don't know if I ever have read a more cold statement concerning a score that basically sucks the fun out of listening to music. Anyway, I will give this one it yet ANOTHER chance.

-Erik-

I've listened to the BP recording and found it entertaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The Filmtracks forums?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mum : If you don't drink your milk you'll end up writing on The Film Tracks Forum..

Kid : The whatttt???

Mum : Exactly!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Hmm... I find Golden Compass a very entertaining listen. And I'm not even terribly patient when it comes to getting accustomed to tough listening scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Currently spinning The Golden Compass and I'm bored to tears! I finally woke up ten tracks in. "Lee Scoresby's Airship Adventure" shows some spirit but it's not enough to save this highly overrated score. Again, Desplat's the music is technically sound but it's emotionally empty.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think most enriching music requires some effort from the listener to get the full effect. I haven't read his message, but I doubt Jon was trying to say that you can't get anything out of The Golden Compass unless you sit down and analyse it. More likely that the more you put into it, the more you get out of it, and repeated listens just keep revealing more and more to you - like all the good film scores (otherwise everything would be like Pirates of the Carribean or Gladiator). But honestly, if you don't like it after two or three attempts, there doesn't seem much point in keep trying - of all Desplat's scores, I'd have thought Golden Compass was the one most likely to provide instant gratification (there's a hell of a lot lurking under the surface, but also plenty on the surface). Whatever anyone else says, you either like something or you don't!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I spent well over 25 years trying to understand and enjoy "The Rite of Spring" from Stravinsky. I finally did. There is some Mozart that is just boring to me to this day. I think I understand what Erik is saying in regards to Desplat.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I 'got' Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring from a very young age, it was already a favourite of mine by the time I was 15.

'getting' David Arnold took me a lot longer wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lady In The Water (Complete) James Newton Howard

A wonderful score made better in its complete form. Not to everyone's tastes I suppose, but it's a very personal score for me. Magical.

'Cookbook Confession' which is on the complete album would be a very nice addition to the regular album.