• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Mum : If you don't drink your milk you'll end up writing on The Film Tracks Forum..

Kid : The whatttt???

Mum : Exactly!

biggrin

I do agree that GOLDEN COMPASS isn't one of those scores you slip into easily. A bit like AGORA at the moment, it took a few listens for me to find my way into musical world. It was quite a surprise to figure out that it was as leitmotific as any score has been. On first listen, I wouldn't have guessed.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009
    I am glad to hear that about Agora, I felt that way about Atonement at first but it afterwards became one of my favorite scores of 2007 when i learned its complexities.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2009
    Yeah, i quite agree with Michael on Agora too. Demanding but very mature and rewarding.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Scribe wrote
    I am glad to hear that about Agora, I felt that way about Atonement at first but it afterwards became one of my favorite scores of 2007 when i learned its complexities.

Sorry, I think the way I worded it may have made myself misunderstood. What I should have said:

I do agree that GOLDEN COMPASS isn't one of those scores you slip into easily. A bit like AGORA at the moment, it took a few listens for me to find my way into musical world. It was quite a surprise to figure out that THE GOLDEN COMPASS was as leitmotific as any score has been. On first listen, I wouldn't have guessed.

I can't say I quite like AGORA as much, as but is growing on me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Marianelli's scores always seem to grow on me, I think I will get Agora even if people seem to have mixed opinions on it. It sounds very intriguing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Steven wrote
    Lady In The Water (Complete) James Newton Howard

shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    THE OMEN - DELUXE EDITION - JERRY GOLDSMITH

My all time favorite score! this is all time best score ever composed by any composer. I deeply admire the tracks like The Killer Storm and The Fall (this particular cue was not used in the movie). It really makes me so scary. Hats off to Jerry Goldsmith
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: The simpsons (Zimmer and a lot of guys).

Ok. It's bland.

but it has a few superb tracks: "trapped like parrots"(Zimmer playing Elfman) , "doomsday is a family day" (so tender...), "Why does everythig.." (one of the best action tracks of that year,whoever is the composer) and "World's fattest.." (Homer's theme with some matchstick men and muppet treasure Island. I don't know if it's the suite that Jackman said in some interview, or it's by Zimmer).

Special mention to "Homer ,bart and the bike" from Itunes wich is deliciously reminiscent to A league on their own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thank You Boob Lady and Release The Hounds are also fun tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2009 edited
    NP: The Young Girls of Rochefort - Michel Legrand

shocked

So many great tunes in just one score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Lady In The Water - James Newton Howard

Gorgeous. Steven's right, Cookbook Confession really should have made it to the official CD - what a bloody lovely cue.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2009 edited
    I am glad to have the Lady in the Water complete, but at the same time I am rather disappointed, because when the score was recorded we were told that JNH recorded an 8-minute theme suite at the end of the recording sessions which never made it onto the soundtrack, and now - as it is not on the complete promo either - it looks like we will never hear it. Does anyone remember hearing about this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote
    Does anyone remember hearing about this?

Yes. I think it was Dan G who told us about it, if memory serves.
  3. Far and Away (John Williams)

Wonderful, beautiful, exciting. Far and Away is all that. It's pure Williams with an added dose of Irish flavour to finalise it. How I would love to hear something like this again from the maestro. To be treated again with a rousing finale of this magnitude in a future Williams score is like hoping for snow during the summer. But stranger things have happened!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    DreamTheater wrote
    Far and Away (John Williams)

Wonderful, beautiful, exciting. Far and Away is all that. It's pure Williams with an added dose of Irish flavour to finalise it. How I would love to hear something like this again from the maestro. To be treated again with a rousing finale of this magnitude in a future Williams score is like hoping for snow during the summer. But stranger things have happened!

Never know what kind of interesting things could come from Tintin!
  4. I sure hope his current writing style would produce something equally great for Tintin.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MY LIFE - John Barry

What D would call a 'forgotten gem', it was certainly forgotten by me and has, in recent months, become a bit of a favourite.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. you spelled favorite wrong... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009
    Timmer wrote

What D would call a 'forgotten gem', it was certainly forgotten by me and has, in recent months, become a bit of a favourite.
    #

Lovely theme (really lovely theme), but it is (to say the least) a little repetitive if I recall correctly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Mulan (Goldsmith)

A long promo and a short realease.

But....this score is gorgeous, sublime!!!

the rythms, the asian instrumentaton, the little electronics, the epic....and the action (his best since Rambo)! All is perfect!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    christopher wrote
    you spelled favorite wrong... wink

You chose.... poorly.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    you spelled favorite wrong... wink

You spelt your name wrong Cristafer.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

#

Lovely theme (really lovely theme), but it is (to say the least) a little repetitive if I recall correctly.

That's what put me off initialy but it's actually more varied than I thought and plus it doesn't run too long.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LEVIATHAN - Jerry Goldsmith

A bit underrated IMO, I really enjoy this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    You spelt your name wrong Cristafer.

lol
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Amistad John Williams

Mostly a pleasant and meandering background listen with John Williams' typical sentimental Americana-like music - plus the odd flourish of that ridiculously beautiful uplifting theme, the real strength of the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Nautilus wrote

the rythms, the asian instrumentaton, the little electronics, the epic....and the action (his best since Rambo)! All is perfect!!

Yes! it is Jordi! But it's so obvious that nobody replies you....

NP:The Happening (James Newton Howard)

A mix of The Village and War of the Worlds.

I think the movie is one of the less stupid from Shaymalan and the score is highly underrated.

The End Titles is fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yes! it is Jordi! But it's so obvious that nobody replies you....

face-palm-mt
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  6. To Jordi: Maybe we're all in utter agreement that zero replies are necessary.

Beowulf (Alan Silvestri)

Not one of his better, but enjoyable nonetheless. The hero theme is addictive as hell but the real winner is the choral melody best performed in 'He Was The Best of Us'. Even the end credit song is great. I love how Silvestri has always maintained his style, I don't think he deviated too much from his earlier compositions, unlike say Horner or Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Zooster's breakout remixes :P

"once upon a time in Africa" (God, this track was really good!) , "Rescue me", "Foofie", "Alex on the spot"

This theme is a killer!!!!