• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2009
    NP : THE PERFECT STORM - James Horner

Along with a large handful of scores ( Conan, Big Country, Star Wars, various Bond's etc ) this one is rarely out of my CD player cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2009 edited
    MARC SHAIMAN - the american president

Gorgeous, over-the-top melody and patriotism of the musically good kind wink Love it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE PERFECT STORM - James Horner

Along with a large handful of scores ( Conan, Big Country, Star Wars, various Bond's etc ) this one is rarely out of my CD player cool

Apart from Big Country, ditto. (Although my Bond scores probably have a more Arnold flavour to them than yours. wink)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, if I'd made the list longer it would have included the likes of Star Trek's I, II & III, Starship Troopers, Bourne..... cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Seriously though, did you see I was playing Morricone and liking it? There's hope yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Seriously though, did you see I was playing Morricone and liking it? There's hope yet.

I did. I am still trying to come in terms with what i saw. The world is ending. It's 2 to 2012.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm not quite sure I get that picture. But I definitely like the top and bottom ones!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's a series comic-like thingy, 1st event in time at the top, last one at the bottom. Here have a look at this one and don't rush into judging!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, get it now. Good stuff. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Here, i know you'll love their humor wink

http://comixed.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    STEVE JABLONSKY - Gears of War II

Loud. 'CAuse i am in this mood now and i am greatly enjoying it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

O rly?

I totally do.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    A Fistful of Dollars Ennio Morricone

Yeah, it's pretty good.

Has the world stopped turning?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's a series comic-like thingy, 1st event in time at the top, last one at the bottom. Here have a look at this one and don't rush into judging!

Yeah, I like that biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    A Fistful of Dollars Ennio Morricone

Yeah, it's pretty good.

Has the world stopped turning?

Probably. He freaks me out too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

O rly?

I totally do.

I liked this one too but it's time to take these to the 'funny' thread.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK II : THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner

I haven't played this for ages! wink punk
  1. Holy shit!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: Hidalgo - JNH

I don't like the middle-eastern sound in this score... Somehow middle-eastern-ish melodies sound boring to me when played by western orchestra. (That's why I'm not a big fan of Prince Of Egypt etc.) But except for that, I like this score, beautiful main theme, uplifting orchestra and the gorgeous finale! cool

Curious... do you like "Phoenix's Theme" from X-Men 3?

-Erik-

Haven't heard it yet...

NP: "Oriental Wind" from Piano Stories 4 - Joe Hisaishi

Piano, strings and xylophone all are so energetic cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Holy shit!

wink cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Snow Falling On Cedars - James Newton Howard

Surely one of the best he's done, this makes for perfect listening before bed.

cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Miya wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: Hidalgo - JNH

I don't like the middle-eastern sound in this score... Somehow middle-eastern-ish melodies sound boring to me when played by western orchestra. (That's why I'm not a big fan of Prince Of Egypt etc.) But except for that, I like this score, beautiful main theme, uplifting orchestra and the gorgeous finale! cool

Curious... do you like "Phoenix's Theme" from X-Men 3?

-Erik-

Haven't heard it yet...

It doesn't sound middle eastern in the slightest!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    NP: Snow Falling On Cedars - James Newton Howard

Surely one of the best he's done, this makes for perfect listening before bed.

cool

Beautiful, captivating listen.
  2. It does a little, to me. Much in the same way a Rimsky-Korsakov piece describing the Orient sounds not remotely Chinese, but kind of does at the same time.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's gifted with very captivating atmosphere, heady mood and sentimental melodies, that's why i like it. It's sad darkness.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009 edited
    INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE - John Williams

While waiting for the roast beef to cook. This is how Sundays should be spent. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (complete) Howard Shore

I've got work to do, and I need waking up and something to keep me going for a few hours. Having just finished listening to the first score in its complete form yesterday (I listened to a few tracks every night before I go to bed), I'm very reluctant to listen to anything else but the complete scores. There are some jaw-dropping pieces missing from the regular albums.

I place these scores right up there with Star Wars - which saying a lot since they're my favourite scores.
  3. Went on a couple of long drives this weekend, and I tried to listen to albums that I've not spent much (or indeed, any) time with...

The Agony and the Ecstasy (Alex North) - even now, I still find I have to be in the mood for Alex North. The last time I listened to this, it was one of the great scores. This time, it was work. There's no doubt his was one of the most articulate voices in film music, but also one that requires work from (and often amply rewards) the listener

The Right Stuff (Bill Conti) - the Varese Club release from earlier this year. I really liked it. A strong 80s score if ever there was one. Even like the synth cues. It's the opening cue - 'breaking the sound barrier' - that really does it for me however. (I didn't appreciate the album liner notes though. Julie Kirgo really tears Kaufmann apart for having something negative to say about the Mercury astronauts. Has political correctness achieved such heights in America that noone who makes an expensive film can have an even slightly contrary opinion?)

The Merchant of Venice (Jocelyn Pook) - Pook handles the renaissance setting and the dominance of voice as well as you'd expect her too. I love the cues 'With Wandering Steps' (sung by Andreas Scholl), Hilary Westenra's 'Bridal Ballad' and the first instrumental track.

Lonely are the Brave (Jerry goldsmith) - Tried listening while driving through the countryside, but just wasn't in the mood. Will give it another go at another time.

Harmonielehre (John Adams) - not film music, but I was sick of film music at this point, and Adams is not a bad thing to go to. What an incredible piece.

Something wicked this way comes (James Horner) - ah now, isn't this interesting? I haven't finished it yet, but I think I enjoy this one a bit more than the - more universally-lauded - Journey of Natty Gann.

Now out of the car, and home, and onto Baaria. Typical Morricone goodness. One of the best albums of film music this year, without doubt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009 edited
    Michael, "sick of film music"? Care to elaborate ? smile I am not criticizing, i am asking out of interest 'cause i too feel it lately, some times. Mostly of the new releases though.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Michael, "sick of film music"? Care to elaborate ? smile I am not criticizing, i am asking out of interest 'cause i too feel it lately, some times. Mostly of the new releases though.

It's just that something like Harmonielehre is one the level of a great Beethoven work, for me. It's a very different kind of music to connect to. Rather than two-three minute cues with lovely themes, you have these incredible lengthy setpieces which can take you on a more elaborate musical journey than most scores can attempt. (Because film scores have to stay out of the way of dialogue, effects, support stories, make the point quickly, etc.) Film music is an artform because greatness has emerged despite all the constraints under which it is produced, but sometimes you can't help but head for a bit of the real thing.