• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2010
    I've seen that. The concepts are similar, but believe me it's one thing to read about it and another to watch it. An entire film within a coffin and not the slightest glimpse of another character (just their voices is what we get to hear) or the outside world, re-create the paranoia and claustrophobia of the character pretty well.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Yesterday we bought How to Train Your Dragon on Blu-Ray (happy to see that it cost the same as the DVD!). The film is loads of fun, and very nice looking and sounding. I think Dreamworks has really come a long way. I think their films are still missing that Pixar magic, but they're nearly as enjoyable lately. As far as the score goes, it was already my favorite score of the year, but seeing it in context made me appreciate it even more. I think it was excellently scored. If this is Powell's comfort zone I hope he never leaves it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010
    About to watch How to Train Your Dragon with the boy.... right... NOW!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. My boy (same age as yours) really loved it. Some of the action stuff scared him a little (especially the finale - he got all tensed up on the couch biting his blanket and clenching his fists), but he wanted to watch it again immediately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well... IMHO, How To Train Your Dragon was one of the finest fantasy films I've seen in a while. Brilliant animation, great characters, lots of heart, and a superb score. I loved every moment of this film and I can't wait to watch it again. And the ending... [spoiler]bravo to the producers for having the balls for making the risky move by showing the consequences of battle. Our main character doesn't just get up and just brush himself off after the epic final battle! Seeing that Hiccup had lost a leg was shocking and yet felt right![/spoiler]

This and Kung Fu Panda have been some of the most impressive animated films I've seen in the past 5 years or so. Dreamworks need to concentrate more on these types of movies and dump Shrek forever! Highly recommended for people of all ages. This film will make you feel like a kid again! Outstanding!

Oh yeah, Powell's score... BEST. SCORE. OF. THE. YEAR!!!! For those that want Powell to move on from the animation medium... you guys are absolutely nuts! Some of Powell's best work has come from animation. I'll take more Kung-Fu Panda, Horton Hears a Who and How To Train Your Dragon over Knight and Day and Green Zone any day!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Lovely, i've got to see this film. Nobody said he should move on, but it's nice to get other stuff AS WELL wink Oh and i agree 100% with what you said except for kung-fu panda and horton wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2010
    King Arthur

They achieved the impossible with this - making a worse film about all this stuff than First Knight.

Cape Fear (remake)

Not just terrible by Martin Scorsese's standards, terrible by anyone's.
  3. Southall wrote
    Cape Fear (remake)

Really? I'll have to watch it again some time (or maybe I shouldn't!). I haven't seen it for years, and while I wasn't that impressed when I did see it, I was left wondering how the director of Kundun ended up there.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I watched it about 15 years ago and have spent the intervening period arguing with people who say it's terrible. Now my tail is between my legs! Using the Herrmann score certainly doesn't help, but it's a film with problems.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    King Arthur

They achieved the impossible with this - making a worse film about all this stuff than First Knight.

Cape Fear (remake)

The original is parsecs better. As for King Arthur, shame on you.

and me, I watched it too shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Cape Fear (remake)

Really? I'll have to watch it again some time (or maybe I shouldn't!). I haven't seen it for years, and while I wasn't that impressed when I did see it, I was left wondering how the director of Kundun ended up there.

Exchange. After Scorsese refused to direct Schindler's List, because he said a Jewish director should do the story justice, Spielberg took the directing duties on Schindler and gave Cape Fear to Scorsese.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010
    I liked the Cape Fear remake very much and I really enjoyed Bernstein's adaptation of Herrmann's score. DeNiro was especially good.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I like the original yonks over the remake, but I didn't dislike the remake by any stretch of the imagination (although it always struck me that the actors filling the main parts should have been reversed).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I like the original yonks over the remake, but I didn't dislike the remake by any stretch of the imagination (although it always struck me that the actors filling the main parts should have been reversed).

I can see that and I like it. Agree with you on the original which is much better IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Southall wrote
    I watched it about 15 years ago and have spent the intervening period arguing with people who say it's terrible. Now my tail is between my legs! Using the Herrmann score certainly doesn't help, but it's a film with problems.

I enjoyed the original with Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum. The remake of a film is usually less than and this follows the pattern.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My next film score monthly article is going to be on Victory at Sea so I need to revisit all 26 episodes and listen carefully to the Rodgers score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    My next film score monthly article is going to be on Victory at Sea so I need to revisit all 26 episodes and listen carefully to the Rodgers score.

Do you know how much of this monumental score is available as recordings Tom?
  5. Rodgers' Victory At Sea is something that I've never really got into. If I remember correctly there's some SFX on some of the tracks in one or both of these CDs:

Victory At Sea: RCA Records 60963-2
    More Victory At Sea: RCA Records 60964-2
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't played them in literally decades, in fact I'm not even sure if I still have those LP's?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    SFX? No, I don't think so?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anybody been watching Mark Gatiss History of Horror on BBC? It's great, I just wish it was a longer series with time for more in depth analysis on individual films.
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Well... IMHO, How To Train Your Dragon was one of the finest fantasy films I've seen in a while.

Oh yeah, Powell's score... BEST. SCORE. OF. THE. YEAR!!!!

I agree with your spoiler point, by the way. Really unexpected and appropriate.

I watched the film again last night with the director/producer commentary and was pleased by how often they would give a shout out to Powell's score. I think one reason this film + score combination goes so well together is that the directors apparently had the score in mind well in advance of Powell actually writing it. In their commentary both directors talked about how much they love extended scenes with no or little dialogue where the images and music get to take center stage. And they do it all through HtTYD, all to great effect. Most of the very best cues on the album are for scenes where the filmmakers pulled back on nearly everything but visuals (the downed dragon, forbidden friendship, a new tail, see you tomorrow, test drive, Astrid goes for a spin, romantic flight). Look at how many tracks get to shine in that film! The music is used to great effect thoughout the entire film, but it's so refreshing to see film where the film makers trust the composer enough to turn the emotion over to him or her for an extended scene, and then do it again, and again. Cool stuff!

By the way, Erik, have you changed your tune on the sound of the brass for this score now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010
    christopher wrote
    By the way, Erik, have you changed your tune on the sound of the brass for this score now?

The recording is still pants! But I've used iTunes' EQ settings to make it all sound more natural!

-Erik-
  7. Martijn wrote

Robert Deniro would have killed in the Juliette Lewis part, I agree. Short skirts and tattoos.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You killed me Michael biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Martijn wrote

Robert Deniro would have killed in the Juliette Lewis part, I agree. Short skirts and tattoos.

Hot dog! Dunno about you, but I am strangely aroused...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010
    ...that's it Martijn...inhale.....gas is good for you.
  8. Martijn wrote
    Hot dog! Dunno about you, but I am strangely aroused...

Damn! Not the photo I was hoping to see. sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010
    sdtom wrote

There were 3 albums done
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010 edited
    Currently at the filmfestival of Gent, which has a Jacques Tati bar with food, drinks, filmtrailers and free WiFi!

Just saw:

SUBMARINO - Thomas Vinterberg ***
    Long awaited new film by the director of FESTEN. And not a very joyous one, since it's essentially about two brothers leading an unhappy life with unhappy friends, struggling to get their lives back on track yet are both traveling towards some unavoidable doom. Still, the naturalistic style, the fact that you can certainly understand how these people came to this situation makes them relatable. The ending is devastating and probably the most emotional one this year for me. Still, this is incredibly bleak filmmaking.

Next: NEVER LET ME GO, by Mark Romanek and WINTER'S BONE (unless I change my mind and like to see the sex-horror-sci-fi-comedy instead to cheer me up).