• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010 edited
    NEVER LET ME GO - Mark Romanek ****
    A.k.a. The Second Film That Left Me Teary-Eyed Today (and made several of the girls in the audience cry). Since a large number of the audience was female, this film turned out to be quite different from what people expected.

Although starting out as a lightweight boarding school drama a la Joe Wright (very British, Rachel Portman score), this is surprisingly deceiving, for the actual story that starts to unfold 30 min. in is morally wrong, ethically disturbing and ultimately full of human emotion. It is, after all, very much a Romanek film, though the style he employs here is 180 degrees different from his debut, One Hour Photo; deceitfully so, though, as those familiair with the book might know.

Those unfamilair with the material should better just enter the theatre unaware, so stop reading about plot. Just see it and decide for yourself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010
    I see you are adjusting well to the gloomy autumn weather, Bob...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010
    THE TOWN

Very overrated (by the critics) Standard american cop flick with some intense action, well-shot and directed but with a very lukewarm, weak ending. Ben Affleck should really, honestly stop acting. Better stay behind the camera only. He's very wooden in his performances, and cold. The same face / stare / talk in every different situation. The HGW score is subtle and discreet, works in the film but his Gone Baby Gone score for the same director was more thematic.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010 edited
    Hmm. Still look forward to it. In hindsight, Gone Baby Gone is especially such a great film because of its ending, that truly splits audiences. I had quite a deep discussion with the friend I saw it with afterwards, which is rare nowadays. I'm afraid that, when the film would lose such a thing, Affleck doesn't really have a remarkable style (yet). The raving reviews made me hopeful.

As you say, Affleck probably has a better career behind the camera than in front, given his success he seems to have found his true career in directing. Unlike his brother, Casey, who really is a natural actor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010
    GONE BABY GONE was a much, much better movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ben Affleck should really, honestly stop acting. Better stay behind the camera only. He's very wooden in his performances, and cold. The same face / stare / talk in every different situation.

I think 99% of people on this planet realized this fact at least a decade ago.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    have to agree
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ben Affleck should really, honestly stop acting. Better stay behind the camera only. He's very wooden in his performances, and cold. The same face / stare / talk in every different situation.

I think 99% of people on this planet realized this fact at least a decade ago.

Peter smile

Not he, obviously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The road

I thought I would love this after the countless enthusiastic reviews, but I found it ridiculously slow and boring. Perhaps I would have liked it a bit more if the kid hadn't said "Paaaapaaaa" about 300 times during this movie.

Rating: 3 out of 10

Defiance

Good movie, but with several flaws. I'm amazed that all the main characters had a romantic fling, despite living in the woods, hunted and starving to death. It's as if the makers of this movie tried to cram as much into the script as they could possibly get away with. Perfect role for Liev Schreiber. Newton Howard's score is great and villagy, with a great, jewish sounding theme.

Rating: 6

The blind side

Good movie, but I found the family a bit overly perfect, and it wasn't really believable. Still, I enjoyed Bullock's performance, she made a fun and likable character. The little boy was funny and charming as well. Must admit I got a little emotional at the end.

The curious case of Benjamin Button

Booooring. The first two hours were incredibly dull, and it was too weird and fairytaley too. The main character was dull and unlikable, and acted like an old geezer throughout the entire movie. Luckily it got better the last hour when the love story gained momentum. Cate Blanchett sure is a sexy looking woman btw.

Rating: 4

Wolverine

Unbelievably stupid, banal and predictable. Just the worst Hollywood has to offer. I facepalmed and laughed several times during this movie, and I actually found that rather enjoyable. It's so stupid that you can't help but like it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wolverine is one of the worst films i've ever seen and the score is plain awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Wolverine is one of the worst films i've ever seen

Same here. That's actually what I liked most about it. And all the stupid cliches, like walking away from an explosion in slow motion, while looking cool. I found it hilarious.

Christodoulides wrote
    and the score is plain awful.

It didn't impress me either. Didn't notice a single memorable score moment.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2010
    The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest was an enjoyable watch of the third book in the trilogy subtitles and all. Groth's score was effective and overall it showed that Hollywood and their special effects wasn't necessary for this one at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2010 edited
    THE SOCIAL NETWORK

Ingenious direction, great pace, unmistakable Fincher. Very strong acting, the highlight surprisingly being Justin Timberlake's character; very clever plot, not a single dull second in there. Loved it, great story about the people that changed the modern world and the internet forever. The score - a 2010 and more glamorous take on FIGHT CLUB, as the primal function of a score is supposed to be - i.e. elevate the movie which accompanies, i'd say it's a 5/5 and definitely one of the best scores i've heard in movies this year.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2010
    Saw it on Thursday too and was very impressed. Even though it's dialogue heavy it moves along at a good pace and you can follow things easily.

I can't say the "score" was my cup of tea (the synth version of The Hall Of The Mountain King is weird) but my friend who is a NIN fan seemed to like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It fits and elevates the movie very impressively. As for the dialog, my gf who isn't much into computers, had difficulties following the details but still got the basic essence.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The techno-jargon was believable too. I didn't understand much of it when he started hacking all the local house websites, but it was easy enough to understand he was h4x0ring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It was all done through linux.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    TOY STORY 3 ****

I'm not the biggest fan of the series - Toy Story 1 was a technological revolution, but though a fine concept, good characters and fun parts, I wasn't overly impressed back in the days. Part 2 was a lot of fun, and even touched me emotionally, but something kept me from utterly loving it. The story seemed a little unfocused at times, several characters were a little bit annoying and the finale dragged somewhat.

Part 3 I knew I would love enough - Pixar has grown in terms of comedy, animation, characters, and they certainly know how to tell a story. I just didn't expect it to actually top the second film! From the great opening sequence on there's never a dull moment, full of inventive wit, an enormous amount of clever details, many terrific new characters placed within a brilliant 'how do they come up with this stuff?' story that isn't afraid to get rather dark. And the final showdown is brilliantly animated. It's a shame the film never reaches the emotional heights of the second film, though.

Toy Story 3 is among Pixar's finest, even though I was rather skeptical at first. I really rather had them create another original story, but after seeing the finished product, I'm glad they visited this one more time to properly get closure on these characters. A blast of a film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2010
    "Never Take Candy From A Stranger." Watched this with a teacher friend having seen it not too long ago. Again this was really a very good low budget film about a senior pedophile.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra

With a barely-comprehensible plot, dreadful acting (Christopher Ecclestone, you should be ashamed), a terrible score (somehow even worse in the film than on CD) - this is really a poor film. However, the presence of Sienna Miller in a leather catsuit earns it FIVE STARS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Did they torture and force you to watch this?
  1. Sienna Miller in a leather catsuit, Demetris, Sienna Miller in a leather catsuit...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Southall wrote

With a barely-comprehensible plot, dreadful acting (Christopher Ecclestone, you should be ashamed), a terrible score (somehow even worse in the film than on CD) - this is really a poor film. However, the presence of Sienna Miller in a leather catsuit earns it FIVE STARS.

I hated the fact that even a car had to be a visual effect in the movie, even when it just approached a house
    it made the bus sequence of The Mummy Returns all the more important
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2010 edited
    Southall wrote

They should have released THIS into theatres and left the live action "film" for direct-to-the-dumpster.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. The Box

Interesting premise, and the first 45 minutes are very cool. You constantly ask yourself what's it all about. But the second half the movie goes to a invasion of the body snatchers / donnie darko approach, and ultimately it ends with more questions than answers. Sad because the final 5 minutes are once again good. Ah, far fetched but at least it had my attention during the first part. The moment water bubbles started to appear, it became silly confused

5 out of 10

---------------------------------------

Burn after Reading

In a way, it reminds me of Joel and Ethan Coen's masterpiece The Big Lebowski, and at several times it's equally funny. I laughed my ass off with Brad Pitt's character and the basic premise that so many people pay a price for something completely ridiculous is Coen magic biggrin Ah, a fun and well acted movie

8 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010
    Excellent night's viewing last night thanks to the BBC.

First, an hour-long report on the Tea Party on the eve of the American elections. It left me wondering whether America is truly the scariest country on earth. While the BBC's institutional left-wing bias may lead one to wonder whether the report was just not very balanced, in fact the show was presented by one of the corporation's few right-leaning political reporters, so probably not. I was just frightened by what I saw.

Then, Return of the Rhino, about the northern white rhino, now extinct in the wild and there are only eight animals left in captivity. The programme was about an attempt to move four of them from a zoo in the Czech Republic to a reserve in Kenya, with the hope they might repopulate the species. Very sad that this magnificent creature has been poached to the verge of extinction, but heartwarming to see the efforts to do something about it. (Lesson: it is not easy getting three-ton animals from Prague to Nairobi.)

Finally, The Trip, the first of a new six-part comedy series with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, directed by Michael Winterbottom. Very funny in places, especially when they were doing competing Michael Caine impressions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Burn after Reading

In a way, it reminds me of Joel and Ethan Coen's masterpiece The Big Lebowski, and at several times it's equally funny. I laughed my ass off with Brad Pitt's character and the basic premise that so many people pay a price for something completely ridiculous is Coen magic biggrin Ah, a fun and well acted movie

8 out of 10

Absolutely stunning movie, i laughed my ass off. Brad Pitt's character is the best.
  4. Southall wrote
    Finally, The Trip, the first of a new six-part comedy series with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, directed by Michael Winterbottom. Very funny in places, especially when they were doing competing Michael Caine impressions.

I enjoyed this too. They could have had half an hour of firing impressions back and forth and that would have also been worth watching.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

I enjoyed this too. They could have had half an hour of firing impressions back and forth and that would have also been worth watching.

Yeap! very enjoyable and laugh out loud funny in places.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Southall wrote
    Excellent night's viewing last night thanks to the BBC.

First, an hour-long report on the Tea Party on the eve of the American elections. It left me wondering whether America is truly the scariest country on earth. While the BBC's institutional left-wing bias may lead one to wonder whether the report was just not very balanced, in fact the show was presented by one of the corporation's few right-leaning political reporters, so probably not. I was just frightened by what I saw.

I'm a conservative American, and I think the tea party movement is nuts. Knowing a candidate is backed by the "tea party" (as if it was an actual unified body) makes me less likely to vote for them. I voted today in the most important election in the country (Senate majority leader Harry Reid vs. tea party favorite Sharon Angle), and voted "none of these candidates" because I'm so unhappy with either. It's been a dirty, dirty campaign on both their parts.

More on topic, I recently watched Dracula - the really old Bela Lugosi (or however you spell it) one. It was made in a different era of film and it shows, but I can image what an impactful film it was when it first hit the theater. I thought Dracula's assistant was far scarier than Dracula himself. It was completely unscored originally, except for a brief couple pieces of classical music heard only during the opening and during a concert scene. It wasn't until I finished the film that I saw that I could have watched it with a score by Phillip Glass. Too bad (that I didn't see that earlier, not that Phillip Glass wrote a score) I'll have to watch it again. Anyone know what the score is like?