• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    Not seen it but it doesn't help that Jack Black irritates me.

I hate the guy. I really do.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Kung Fu Panda

sleep vomit

I was more interested in dozing off than watching it. I guess the kid in me didn't like it.

Too bad... I thought Kung Fu Panda was spectacular!!!

-Erik-

I must say I haven't laughed once, but it's a spectacular and amazing visual treat nonetheless, therefore I thought it was decent (6 out of 10)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    He irritates the hell out of me too, it's about tastes i guess. The fat panda was an animated Jack Black in all essence and maybe that's why i didn't like the film?

then I guess we're all looking forward to Gulliver's Travels? wink
    Now there's a film I never want to see vomit

Jack Black's most amazing role is still School of Rock, and in that one he is anything but irritating punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010 edited
    THE THIN RED LINE - Terrence Malick *****
    I'm ashamed to admit I haven't fully and properly seen The Thin Red Line ever since my first viewing, which I had when I was unfamilair with Malick and therefore didn't know how to watch his films. I came out with complaints like 'too many undeveloped characters', 'not gritty enough' (being a fan at the time of the style Spielberg made Saving Private Ryan in) and all in all, thought it was a fine film, but it didn't grab me the way it should. Having revisited during the years several scenes, and getting familair with Malick as a philosophical poet, I came to realise it is, in fact, a masterpiece, I just hadn't seen it fully through those eyes yet.

Until last night, that is, watching it on the Criterion BluRay edition. And although I knew I'd love it, I had no idea it would grab me in such a way. It was as if I saw the film for the first time, I was glued to the screen. It's such a deep and heartfelt film that gets inside the minds of the soldiers that's gripping and devastating in equal measures. And then there's the photography, the details (the young, just-born bird coming out during a heavy massacre was harrowing), the music, etc. The film, of course, is not about the individual characters or events, it's about the collective soul during war, and the effect it has on man.

Somehow, I always preferred The New World as a film, simply because it's more focussed (I never liked that big amount of Hollywood stars and thought they were out of place) and because of its more historic subject matter (I usually prefer such older history over yet-another-war-film). But I have to admit, it's The Thin Red Line that's Malick's masterpiece. Not in the least because he might reuse some tricks in The New World, but he's developed them for this. And it works fantastically.

RESTORATION
    On a more technical note, the restoration by Criterion is absolutely STUNNING. I didn't think the film needed a big clean-up job, since it's such a modern and big commercial film, but the people over at Criterion have worked wonders with the picture and audio presentation. Much brighter, much better contrast, sublime DTS HD Master audio track that really made me hear Zimmer's music like I never had before. It's a must own for any fan of the film (and one of the reasons I bought a region-free player). I was in constant awe and caught myself at times just marveling over the picture or sound, instead of just watching the film. I'm confident this is the first time ever since the theatrical release that you can see TRL the way it was supposed to. Bravo!

For samples of the improved picture, see: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie … d_line.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    jack black is plain annoying especially in that crap the school of rock. The panda in that movie is as annoying as he is. Same goes for the score i am afraid.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    sdtom wrote
    Tonight it will be Starman for me, the film that got John Carpenter started.
    Thomas

Good choice Thomas , I love that film !
    Excellent acting by Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen .
    The music is from composer Jack Nitzsche ...

Actually the first film that brought John Carpenter in a bit of a spotlight was Dark Star (1974) .
    He made some short films before that . After Dark Star he made Assault on Precinct 13 and then
    got his big break through Halloween . He's actually one of my favourite directors . Some of my
    other fav's are The Fog , Escape from New York , The Thing , Christine , Big Trouble in Little China ,
    the underrated Prince of Darkness and the fun They Live . After that it went all a bit downhill quality
    wise . His new film The Ward is coming out this month . Haven't seen any previews of it yet though ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Have you seen IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS? Another underrated Carpenter film, if you ask me.
  3. BobdH wrote
    Have you seen IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS? Another underrated Carpenter film, if you ask me.

indeed, good movie, and some spectacular effects too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    My favourite Carpenter movie after "The thing".

Peter cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    BobdH wrote

Right you are Bob ! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote

Definitely. I have to see this again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    He irritates the hell out of me too, it's about tastes i guess. The fat panda was an animated Jack Black in all essence and maybe that's why i didn't like the film?

then I guess we're all looking forward to Gulliver's Travels? wink
    Now there's a film I never want to see vomit

Jack Black's most amazing role is still School of Rock, and in that one he is anything but irritating punk

School of Rock I have seen and Jack Black is extremely irritating in it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. BobdH wrote
    THE THIN RED LINE - Terrence Malick *****

RESTORATION
    On a more technical note, the restoration by Criterion is absolutely STUNNING. I didn't think the film needed a big clean-up job, since it's such a modern and big commercial film, but the people over at Criterion have worked wonders with the picture and audio presentation. Much brighter, much better contrast, sublime DTS HD Master audio track that really made me hear Zimmer's music like I never had before. It's a must own for any fan of the film (and one of the reasons I bought a region-free player). I was in constant awe and caught myself at times just marveling over the picture or sound, instead of just watching the film. I'm confident this is the first time ever since the theatrical release that you can see TRL the way it was supposed to. Bravo!

For samples of the improved picture, see: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie … d_line.htm

Yowza, those screens look totally amazing! I've always loved this film, but to have it in this quality will be something very special indeed. I really hope it's coming out soon over here in the Benelux, as I don't think my PS3 will read Region A locked discs. I just don't want another mediocre label getting their paws on it, like Dutch Filmworks. slant

And I agree with your views on the film, it's a fantastic trip into the dark depths of the human soul. I think TTRL and SPR are equally brilliant, but very different in their execution and the message they want to transmit.

Thanks Bob for making me wait more impatiently for it to be released here. crazy wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Erm, Gilles, I hate to disappoint you, but I can confidently say that this transfer will never get to European BluRay. The Criterion Collection does their transfers by themselves, and in this case, it's a transfer that was developed in cooperation with Malick and cinematographer John Toll for a 'director's approved' edition. It's copyrighted by them, and when (if) 20th Century Fox decides to release it on BluRay themselves, they will have to create their own transfer (which will probably be just a cleaner version of the current DVD transfer). Yet since they gave the BluRay release rights in the US to Criterion, it might mean they're not interested in the BR release themselves. So... don't expect anything in the near future. That's why I bought my region free player for it smile.

You could, of course, import the DVD version from Criterion? (also region locked, but you might have a region free DVD player?). Or buy The New World on BluRay? That's a pretty neat representation of Malick's style as well smile.
  5. PS3 users, is there a way to get rid of the region blockade?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Not seen it but it doesn't help that Jack Black irritates me.

I hate the guy. I really do.

I don't. In fact I think he's very good...as long as a VERY strong director can keep him in check.
    Leave him "running around", "doing his thing", and yeah, disaster (or at the evry least major annoyance).
    But controlled, I think he's funny, charismatic and quite a good actor.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. He is pretty cool as a *cough* film composer *cough* in The Holiday. Zimmer says he's doing Ramin Djawadi there biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He is pretty cool as a *cough* film composer *cough* in The Holiday. Zimmer says he's doing Ramin Djawadi there biggrin

Billy Connolly was better in an episode of Columbo, I think he was a take on Michael Kamen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    and the film starman was pleasant enough.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Piranha (the remake).

Finally, finally someone who understands how to recapture the nonsense horror schlock from the eighties.
    Great fun, pretty good special effects, massive carnage, nudity....man, I'm 18 again! smile
    Oh, and Richard Dreyfuss has a fantastic cameo at the beginning! Set the tone, made the film.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He is pretty cool as a *cough* film composer *cough* in The Holiday. Zimmer says he's doing Ramin Djawadi there biggrin

Billy Connolly was better in an episode of Columbo, I think he was a take on Michael Kamen.

I think that's just the hair. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Martijn wrote
    Piranha (the remake).

Finally, finally someone who understands how to recapture the nonsense horror schlock from the eighties.
    Great fun, pretty good special effects, massive carnage, nudity....man, I'm 18 again! smile
    Oh, and Richard Dreyfuss has a fantastic cameo at the beginning! Set the tone, made the film.

I'm glad the movie is better then the awful score ... wink
    I loved the original Piranha and James Cameron's Piranha II , which was daft but great fun !
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    Great fun, pretty good special effects, massive carnage, nudity

All my favourite things! Sounds like a flick I need to check out.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    "There’s a dull predictability to the set pieces; when you see a topless para-skier bob in-and-out of the water, it’s inevitable that she’ll rise into the air without any legs. "
    Sums up the whole movie i guess wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Christodoulides wrote
    "There’s a dull predictability to the set pieces; when you see a topless para-skier bob in-and-out of the water, it’s inevitable that she’ll rise into the air without any legs. "
    Sums up the whole movie i guess wink

So , they stole that scene from Jaws 2 then ?
    Except for the topless bit off course ... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    BobdH wrote
    You could, of course, import the DVD version from Criterion? (also region locked, but you might have a region free DVD player?). Or buy The New World on BluRay? That's a pretty neat representation of Malick's style as well smile.

No way mate, I'm blu all the way. Once you've experienced its power, there's no turning back... I'm sure you'll agree! cool Shame if it doesn't come out soon here. Would surprise me too, as Thin Red Line is not a lacklustre title that wouldn't sell well.

Martijn wrote
    Piranha (the remake).

Sounds like something I will enjoy from start to end. cheesy

And it better not have a cheesy hollywood ending. I want babes and limbs and blood and screaming all the way until the end credits roll by!!!!! lick
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    DreamTheater wrote
    No way mate, I'm blu all the way. Once you've experienced its power, there's no turning back... I'm sure you'll agree! cool Shame if it doesn't come out soon here. Would surprise me too, as Thin Red Line is not a lacklustre title that wouldn't sell well.

Jup, got the same thing. I initially thought I'd only buy BluRays for the great films and that I wouldn't mind buying cheaper DVD's as well, but I'm even going through much trouble to import titles that aren't on Blu over here. dizzy . So I'm with ya, but it seemed to me that the Criterion TRL is for you the best option in terms of quality of the film. You'd better just get a region free player, there's much more great titles to import wink.
  7. Martijn wrote
    Piranha (the remake).

excellent, I love Alexandre Aja's stuff, looking forward seeing it on blu-ray smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Unstoppable

Uninspired movie with an uninspired score. Or an uninspired score for an uninspired movie. Anyway.....uninspired.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2010
    marcel: thanks man. Thanks to this board i have saved numerous hours from my life that would have otherwise good wasted on crappy movies.