• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The X Factor's on TV at the moment - therefore I'm surfing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2010
    My kids are watching the Junior Eurosongfestival here , so I'm surfing as well ! wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The X Factor's on TV at the moment - therefore I'm surfing.

You have chosen wisely. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote
    My kids are watching the Junior Eurosongfestival here , so I'm surfing as well ! wink

On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2010 edited
    I'm glad we did the 'wise' thing ! biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  2. BobdH wrote
    I thought the prospect of having Martin Campbell make a superhero movie could be something worth seeing, but this is just laughable... Ryan Reynolds may be the only good thing about it. He still has the charms and wits to save an entire movie, so that might be his superpowers in this one.

About Green Lantern, I saw the trailer... and it was a complete turn-off.

Normally I like Martin Campbell's films, but this looks like vomit
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Eric wrote

We watched Avatar extended cut while that 'festival' was on.

Not an unwise choice either. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I started the newest special edition of AVATAR last night, but turned it off half an hour in. Too tired rolleyes

I did get to see the 'earth' opening, and though it was interesting, I'm glad they opted to delete it. It just doesn't work. Next time I watch this, I might go for the 'extended' re-release.

By the way, it's nice to see how this works extremely well in 2.35.1 aspect ratio. Since my TV has this ratio, I put the film on this format, which crops the upper and bottom parts of the screen. But as Cameron is apparently so used to filming in this ratio, you don't feel like you're missing any vital information. It even works a lot better this way than as 1.78.1 aspect ratio, which just has way too much unused space on the top and bottom. The film was probably shot this way, and the extra information was 'extra' for IMAX (I even believe the 2D version was shown in theaters in 2.35.1?).
  4. You have one of those giant 21:9 Philips TV Bob? cool

BTW Avatar is natively shot in 1.78:1 and works best on normal 16:9 TVs IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Jup cool

This is what Cameron himself said on the matter:

For Avatar we’re shooting in a 16:9 ratio, we’re extracting a cinemascope ratio from that for 2D theatrical exhibition, and for 3D theatrical exhibition we will do, in the theaters that can, we’ll be in the 16:9 format and the theaters that can’t we’ll be in the scope format. Because I actually think that the extra screen height really works well in 3D. It really pulls you through the screen. So I’m actually going back on years of kind of eschewing the kind of 1.85 format, now saying 1.85 – or actually, it’s 1.78:1 – actually works really well in 3D. But only in 3D. I still like the scope ratio compositionally for flat projection.

So while he did shoot it in 1.78.1, it's for a reason it was projected in the cinemascope format in 2D, since that is his intended ratio when shown in 2D. And it shows, as I said; he obviously had the cinemascope format in mind while shooting the film (and, as he says he eschewed the 1.85.1 format for decades, he's probably most used to this composition). And I'm with him: for IMAX, the heightened screen works wonders. I just don't like the format when shown on a normal theatrical screen, or television. And it's a shame if the cinemascope format would lose grounds due to something like 3D, as I already see several other director's switching to the ratio since 2.35.1 doesn't work in IMAX 3D.
  5. I love 1.78:1, gives me the whole screen, but normally I don't mind the black borders, I'm just happier when movies don't have them, if the movie is shot for that aspect ratio, that is.

Yeah and those Cinema TVs, I've seen em play and wanted to buy one at one point, but it would've been too large for where I live. Also, as I'm into games, on such a TV it would be outright weird. So a couple of weeks ago I opted for this one instead. beer

I haven't regretted buying it since, and Ambilight Spectra 3 is downright beautiful !
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah and those Cinema TVs, I've seen em play and wanted to buy one at one point, but it would've been too large for where I live. Also, as I'm into games, on such a TV it would be outright weird. So a couple of weeks ago I opted for this one instead. beer

Very nice as well! I can imagine the 2.40.1 format is too much when playing games, since it's really just a movie thing. And since I primarily have my TV for movies, and I love the cinemascope format, it was for me the most logical choice, but I know I'm in the minority here smile.

DreamTheater wrote
    I haven't regretted buying it since, and Ambilight Spectra 3 is downright beautiful !

Hmm... it works great for films from Pixar, for example, and for Fantasia 2000 is was awesome, but to be honest I rarely use it. My roommate suggested to put it on for The Usual Suspects, and that was just... weird slant
  6. BobdH wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Hmm... it works great for films from Pixar, for example, and for Fantasia 2000 is was awesome, but to be honest I rarely use it. My roommate suggested to put it on for The Usual Suspects, and that was just... weird slant

Well it must be a love it / hate it thing, because I think it works great on everything. It just enlarges the screen, and the depth of color it projects is practically always spot on with the image being displayed. I always watch my stuff like that, and it's one of the reasons I stay with Philips.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2010
    I spent last night watching all six episodes of the first series of Fawlty Towers, something I've never tired of and still sends me into hysterics even after multiple viewings, a true classic. cool
  7. yeah

Haha, pure classic comedy. There was a time I used to watched some of the best episodes at work with some co-workers, we hid out somewhere where the boss couldn't find us, set up the laptop and had us some good laughs. But that was many years ago, not certain if that would still be possible. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2010
    Timmer wrote
    I spent last night watching all six episodes of the first series of Fawlty Towers, something I've never tired of and still sends me into hysterics even after multiple viewings, a true classic. cool

It's as magnificent now as it ever was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010
    The only thing I dislike about Fawlty Towers is that there are only 12 episodes. Someone deserves imprisonment for that.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    The only thing I dislike about Fawlty Towers is that there are only 12 episodes. Someone deserves imprisonment for that.

Peter smile

Maybe? But maybe they felt they put everything into it and anything extra would have been a downward curve, I'm sure I've heard John Cleese say something along these lines?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I have an issue with the "better stop while you're on top" attitude when it causes people to stop prematurely. I'm certain they could have produced additional amazing seasons.

That said, I guess it does make it more special somehow when there aren't that many. Still, I waaaaant more! cry

Peter smile
  8. plindboe wrote
    Also watched "How to train your dragon" for the second time, and amended my rating from 7 to 9. I think the movie is almost perfect, and the score being my favourite of the year certainly increases my enjoyment.

Peter smile

I watched How to Train your Dragon for the first time, and I must say WOW shocked
    Absolutely breathtaking, charming, full of tear jerker moments and amazingly well acted, this is definitely the movie that equals Pixar's wizardry. Oh and I must admit that I even have new respect for John Powell's score. It has opened my eyes, even to the point that I've raised my rating to the movie's rating, both get a 9 out of 10 from now on

See this on blu-ray and with a full home surround sound kiddies, it is worth it punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. Yep I enjoyed HTTYD too. Definitely so good to see it again in the future.

Anyway, yesterday, ALIENS, blu-ray, AWESOME, that's all! beer
  10. Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Maybe? But maybe they felt they put everything into it and anything extra would have been a downward curve, I'm sure I've heard John Cleese say something along these lines?

Indeed... can you imagine Basil the Rat having been as hilarious as The Germans? Ending on such a high, people would've screamed long and hard for a third series. 12 episodes are all we've got, and that's fine by me. cool
  11. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Also watched "How to train your dragon" for the second time, and amended my rating from 7 to 9. I think the movie is almost perfect, and the score being my favourite of the year certainly increases my enjoyment.

Peter smile

I watched How to Train your Dragon for the first time, and I must say WOW shocked
    Absolutely breathtaking, charming, full of tear jerker moments and amazingly well acted, this is definitely the movie that equals Pixar's wizardry. Oh and I must admit that I even have new respect for John Powell's score. It has opened my eyes, even to the point that I've raised my rating to the movie's rating, both get a 9 out of 10 from now on

See this on blu-ray and with a full home surround sound kiddies, it is worth it punk

For me, it's the surprise of the year. I never expected that the movie and Powell's score we're so good. It has become my favorite Dreamworks Animated film. About time they learned something about Pixar.
  12. DreamTheater wrote
    Yep I enjoyed HTTYD too. Definitely so good to see it again in the future.

Anyway, yesterday, ALIENS, blu-ray, AWESOME, that's all! beer

you bet your ass we'll see this one again, I'm going to watch this movie silly punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010
    Watching How To Train Your Dragon for the umteenth time. This just might creep into my Top 10 movies of all time with more views. I love LOVE LOVE this movie.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010
    Fuck i have to see this, all the reviews i've read are more than positive.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    You just know it's going to be a disappointment.

I've got a copy in my room which is a Christmas present for someone but I'm getting very tempted to open it for them!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The first time I watched HTTYD the designs annoyed me. I thought the dragon looked like a turtle. The second time I watched it I loved the movie and the dragon. I guess I just had to get used to it.

The story is rather traditional, and have been told countless times. This particular telling is particularly well done though, with several brilliant elements and jokes.

I just hope that our ranting won't cause so high expectations that you guys will end up disappointed when you finally see it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    If I'll end up disappointed I will have no qualms in sharing it here.
    Extensively.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  13. I watched Avatar for the first time this morning.

I thought that Pandora looked lovely and quite spectacular in places. Covered over a fairly conventional story.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn