• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010
    I'd like to see How To Train Your Dragon again actually. I enjoyed it a lot when I took my sister to see it at the cinema. Perhaps I should buy it for 'her', this Christmas...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    watched nordwand a really tragic film
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A couple more points about Nordwand which was a subtitled film as it was done in German about the climbing of the Eiger. The music was superb within the context of the film. My friend commented how scary it made the film. I had lingering thoughts about the film as I went to sleep last night, it was that powerful.

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/03/04/n … olonovits/

I am going to have to update my review a bit as the written material was a bit misleading that was sent with the CD.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I liked the clips I heard of Nordwand, is it available on CD?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is available on CD from Milan

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … ieid=86274

This movie is really worth a watch too Tim. I was impressed with the visual so much that the subtitles didn't bother me a bit.
    tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010 edited
    sdtom wrote
    It is available on CD from Milan

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … ieid=86274

This movie is really worth a watch too Tim. I was impressed with the visual so much that the subtitles didn't bother me a bit.
    tom

Thanks Tom smile

I don't mind subtitles at all, in fact I hate it if a good film has been dubbed, as for the film it is 100% the kind of thing I'll want to see.

p.s. I've been to the Eiger, Tom, but I haven't climbed it wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    well worth the watch for you my friend
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010 edited
    BURIED (Rodrigo Cortez, 2010)
    Holy... this IS an intense film! Claustrophobic from the start, and incredible how they keep coming up with believable ways flowing from the situation to keep getting more and more intense each minute. Wow! Too bad I saw this with the worst audience imaginable (full of kids that apparently thought seeing a grown man cry to be funny, and wanted to discuss the entire film), but my complaint afterwards did get me free seats to IMAX 3D (Tron Legacy!) and even that didn't kill the suspense in the end. One of the best films of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010
    Agree. Intense is the word here. The discreet presence of the score works wonders too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BobdH wrote
    Too bad I saw this with the worst audience imaginable (full of kids that apparently thought seeing a grown man cry to be funny, and wanted to discuss the entire film)

Argh!!!! I hate when that happens! I tried it with War of the worlds. These teenage girls found it hilarious whenever the tripods were making that horn sound. Simple minds, simple pleasures, I guess.

Peter crazy
  1. plindboe wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Too bad I saw this with the worst audience imaginable (full of kids that apparently thought seeing a grown man cry to be funny, and wanted to discuss the entire film)

Argh!!!! I hate when that happens! I tried it with War of the worlds. These teenage girls found it hilarious whenever the tripods were making that horn sound. Simple minds, simple pleasures, I guess.

Peter crazy

That's one of the reasons I don't go to the movie theatre more often lately. I prefer my own mini-version at home, no kids and teens present. And no intermissions. Plus I can customise the experience the way I want it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    i'm glad i frequent films that teenagers don't
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Skyline

And I'm being generous.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Haha, played the score once; had the same reaction with you on the film (which i don't plan to watch btw). NEXT
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    sdtom wrote
    I am going to have to update my review a bit as the written material was a bit misleading that was sent with the CD.

Very interested in that movie now!

Here's a clip as well
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/north-face/

Don't forget to update it on MT too Tom! cheesy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010
    requiem for a heavyweight
  2. The making of Avatar

on the blu-ray collector's edition

Without a doubt one the best documentaries I've seen about the art of film making. Watching it you really get a sense of the technical challenges, the creative artistry, craftsmanship and the level of passion everyone committed to the project. If you love Avatar, this is a must-see. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010
    requiem film has a completely different sound to the opening/main title in the film as opposed to the soundtrack
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Without a doubt one the best documentaries I've seen about the art of film making.

You mean the art of "digital" movie making. Film came no where near this movie.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Without a doubt one the best documentaries I've seen about the art of film making.

You mean the art of "digital" movie making. Film came no where near this movie.

-Erik-

Well yeah, I should've said movie making. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Maureen and I went and saw Wasteland last night documentary about a photographer/artist and the largest landfill in the world located in Rio DeJanerio. While it had some flaws it is well worth a watch as it is a radical departure from what Hollywood has to offer. Subtitled.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010
    How To Train Your Dragon

This was an absolute joy to watch !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  4. I just saw that again today, too. It's a very well paced film, I think. I've seen it half a dozen times now (it's one of my son's favorites), but I never get bored with it at any point.

I recently saw Death Defying Acts, which was okay. I thought the actors did a good job. The film seemed a little long after what I supposed to be the climax. On the whole, though, it wasn't bad.
  5. Eric wrote
    How To Train Your Dragon

This was an absolute joy to watch !

absolutely, a must to see on Blu-ray and with a home surround system punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or better: cinema.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Or better: cinema.

blu-ray matches that buddy, but I wish to see some movies back in the cinema, if that ever would be possible smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, not really. Blu-ray with its full hd (1920x1080) is much lower a resolution than film (2K · 4K · 6K · 8K) plus no home theater can much the sound characteristics and acoustics of a good theater system, granted it's properly built (acoustic-wise) and bears certain standards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010 edited
    But then we don't need those huge screens at home either. So blu-ray is sufficient for home viewing with 50 - 60 inch screens. I'm very happy with my 46 inch screen where blu-ray is razor-sharp and I can have the total immersive experience as well.

And home surround systems nowadays are much better in quality, understand more audio formats that practically match the sound in terms of dynamics, low and high frequencies as in the real theatres.

But if you want something like that, it'll cost ya... smile

Though I'm very happy with what I have now, my dream is to one day being able to build the ultimate home cinema experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010 edited
    Not really, have you ever seen the subs and major l-r speakers they use in multiplexes? Not the smaller surround satellite speakers. Those mains won't fit in a living room. Plus whatever you buy, you can never have proper acoustics properties at home.
  7. But dude, have you compared the size of a cinema room to a living room? rolleyes

Of course in a real cinema everything needs to be bigger.

But you can perfectly recreate the acoustics for a smaller size environment.