• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010
    I'm still not sure what I think of it.
    I find it a little disconcerting I found myself the only one rooting for the humans. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    If I'll end up disappointed I will have no qualms in sharing it here.
    Extensively.

That could turn ugly. wink

Peter smile
  1. Martijn wrote
    I find it a little disconcerting I found myself the only one rooting for the humans. slant

That is disconcerting.

Even reason for banishment.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

biggrin devil
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I watched Avatar for the first time this morning.

I thought that Pandora looked lovely and quite spectacular in places. Covered over a fairly conventional story.

If you ever get a chance to watch Avatar on blu-ray Alan, I'd like you to replace the words 'lovely' by 'fantastic' and 'quite spectacular' by 'amazingly breathtaking'. The story remains fairly conventional even in HD, in case you were wondering. That being said, for me Avatar is nothing less than an experience, it's not a film.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's a film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Temple Grandin the emmy award winning film from HBO based on a true story about autism. Very powerful.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010 edited
    Dreamtheater wrote
    Martijn wrote

That is disconcerting.

Don't push your luck, Giant Smurf lover.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    It's a film.

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    being a film could be a matter of opinion
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Because it's entirely digital? wink
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I thought that Pandora looked lovely and quite spectacular in places. Covered over a fairly conventional story.

If you ever get a chance to watch Avatar on blu-ray Alan, I'd like you to replace the words 'lovely' by 'fantastic' and 'quite spectacular' by 'amazingly breathtaking'. The story remains fairly conventional even in HD, in case you were wondering. That being said, for me Avatar is nothing less than an experience, it's not a film.

I'll look out for that.

I have a question about size...how many inches do you need to have before HD makes a difference?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I'll look out for that.

I have a question about size...how many inches do you need to have before HD makes a difference?

Heavenly Delight?

:coat:
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

You didn't like the blue chicks?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

Final fantasy: the spirits within was even more cgi-born and digitized than Avatar but still a wonderful movie, imo.
  4. I'm amazed at how live action and CGI are so seamlessly knitted together. You can't trust anything you see now on the screen. Which is a bit worrying in some respect.

I felt that way about the recent David Attenborough 2-part series - First Life - that was on TV recently here in the UK. That featured quite heavily CGI renderings of things like trilobites. Okay it's easy for people who know to differentiate between what's real footage and what's not. But we had to keep telling the children that this or that creature wasn't alive today.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    worrying ? Why, just let yourself relax and enjoy, after all it's entertainment.
  5. Not worried about "entertainment" but when it comes to fact-based programming there needs to be better differentiation between what's real and what's not.

I did relax and I did enjoy. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

Final fantasy: the spirits within was even more cgi-born and digitized than Avatar but still a wonderful movie, imo.

It was a joke on Tom's previous post: if it's fully digital, no "film" was involved, therefore it being a film could be a matter of opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not worried about "entertainment" but when it comes to fact-based programming there needs to be better differentiation between what's real and what's not.

Why?
    Isn't that exactly the task of parents and educators?

I heard the exact same argument made against the phenomenal Walking With DInosaurs.
    I would not be very happy if the powers that be nannified and dumbified material to the point where some sort of disclaimer needed to precede each documentary warning about the "possibility of material presented in any way which may not have any basis in recent modern nature".

(I can already see the red flashing sign over the Tyrannosaur fight: [RECONSTRUCTION] wink )
  6. smile

I would hope that everyone would already know that these are extinct. But leaving it to the parents would mean that we'd need to talk to our children.
  7. Martijn wrote
    (I can already see the red flashing sign over the Tyrannosaur fight: [RECONSTRUCTION] wink )

Doesn't need to be so obvious. A "RECONSTRUCTION" floating in mid-air ala Fringe or the Panic Room title would be just as good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

Doesn't need to be so obvious. A "RECONSTRUCTION" floating in mid-air ala Fringe or the Panic Room title would be just as good.

uhm
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I'll look out for that.

I think at least 37 inches.
  9. Martijn wrote
    Dreamtheater wrote
    Martijn wrote

That is disconcerting.

Don't push your luck, Giant Smurf lover.

tongue

Because they're belgian right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    You didn't like the blue chicks?

Neytiri is the sexiest smurf ever.

Peter smile
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    Watching How To Train Your Dragon for the umteenth time. This just might creep into my Top 10 movies of all time with more views. I love LOVE LOVE this movie.

-Erik-

I can't blame you, I want to see this movie again, can't wait to see it again. I don't remember having been this excited about a movie since a long time smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    punk
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    punk

Looks like I'll have to tune into the last hour of Erik's 'Best of 2010' show to hear what this Powell score is like. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!