• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Some of the scenes look very cinematic indeed. I liked the quote of the film being "psychopathic Star Wars" (a quote from a newspaper film reviewer.)

...what? uhm

Aside from Jones doing his "my Sonnnnnnn" bit, I can't really see any comparison...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Here you go:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic … 29,00.html
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah. smile How quaint.
    A review from the era that still desperately held to the notion that Star Wars was just "Buck Rogers banalities", and not "relevant enough".

I actually (sort of) agree with his non-dismissing dismissal of Conan.
    But the comparison to Star Wars is just stupefying. And stupid.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I've also recently seen the Potter movies to find out what all the hooplah is about. I still haven't figured it out, as I found them kinda average (and no I don't want to read the books).

Ratings:

HP and the philosopher's stone: 6 out of 10
    HP and the chamber of secrets: 6
    HP and the prisoner of Azkaban: 7
    HP and the goblet of fire: 6
    HP and the order of the phoenix: 5
    HP and the half-blood prince: 6

Also watched "How to train your dragon" for the second time, and amended my rating from 7 to 9. I think the movie is almost perfect, and the score being my favourite of the year certainly increases my enjoyment.

Yesterday I watched "Ice age: Dawn of the dinosaurs". Most others of these kinds of animated movies manage to appeal to both kids and adults, but I found this one too immature, with the majority of jokes too stupid to laugh at. Rated it 5.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    I've also recently seen the Potter movies to find out what all the hooplah is about. I still haven't figured it out, as I found them kinda average (and no I don't want to read the books).

Thank the Maker.
    I suddenly don't feel so alone. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I would rate Terminator far higher than Conan in the Schwartzenegger oeuvre (but then I think Cameron is a far more taut director than Milius).

Yes, I do find "The terminator" better as well, but not by far. I rate Conan a 9 and Terminator a 10. Predator gets a 10 as well. I think "Conan the barbarian" is surprisingly reflective, beautiful and passionate, considering the subject matter, i.e. Arnie as a sword-wielding barbarian lobbing off heads.

Martijn wrote
    plindboe wrote
    The music is also very prominent, which basically makes it a kind of MTV for film score geeks.

VERY good point! beer
    It is. It really is!

beer

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    plindboe wrote

The films are very poor representations of the books, which are delightful to read. Rowling has a real wit and humor that just shines in the books in a way that the movies cannot copy. I was skeptical about the books until I read the first and was won over by the engaging voice and the originality of the world. The "hooplah" around the films is only because the books are so good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Sounds intriguing, christopher. I really wish fantasy books were for me, as I'm sure I'd love it once I got into it. My problem is that I read extremely slowly, because I have huge concentration problems, so I have to spend all my reading time on my work, and never any enjoyable reading. slant I wish I had a potion or a spell to stop time, so I could devote time to reading fantasy.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I was watching the "making of" extra for Conan The Barbarian as a prelude to watching the film - for the first time.

Some of the scenes look very cinematic indeed. I liked the quote of the film being "psychopathic Star Wars" (a quote from a newspaper film reviewer.)

shocked Have you never seen the film before Alan ?

Like Erik , I love it to bits - I've lost count on how many times I've seen it .
    I had a bit of a crush on Sandahl Bergman who plays Valeria as well ... shame

I hope you'll enjoy it ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I once tried to watch it, but had to quit after half an hour. It was unbearable to me.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    I once tried to watch it, but had to quit after half an hour. It was unbearable to me.

Same here. Arnie is a big no-go for me anyway but it doesn't help that i didn't grow up with that culture anyway.

Peter, what did they pay you for the Harry Potter marathon? wink

TOM, is the GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO trilogy worth it? I've been planning to watch those for ages but something always grabs my attention instead at the last minute.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2010
    Bregt wrote

shocked confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Watching Conan The Barbarian as I prep by next radio show...

I. LOVE. THIS. MOVIE. The opening 20 minutes is brilliant film making. Great cinematography and of course the score is pitch perfect. I have a soft spot for the fantasy genre. Man, I forgot about the Wolf Witch! That's one crazy chick!

-Erik-

I agree with you Erik, love it! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Well... haven't seen many movies after watching Inception in July or August. That was the last one in the theatres anyway.

I saw the Hangover on the movie channel... ( biggrin )

And we're watching Chuck at the moment.

I can't believe that's all... confused
  2. The Hangover... haha... I laughed a lot. Not knowing anything about this film beforehand makes it that much more enjoyable. cheesy

Anyway good to see you again Bregje. wave
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2010 edited
    Just finished watching Conan The Barbarian for the first time and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I agree totally with what Erik said earlier.

The first 20 minutes are particularly good with Poledouris' score just shines.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just finished watching Conan The Barbarian for the first time and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I agree totally with what Erik said earlier.

The first 20 minutes are particularly good with Poledouris' score just shines.

I've always enjoyed this film, it's great fun and Arnold, bad acting and all, is always watchable, having read Robert E. Howard's books and read Roy Thomas superb adaptations in Marvel comics it isn't the Conan I would have envisaged ( just for your info he was never a slave ) but, for 1982 it's a great effort.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Madigan starring Widmark, Fonda. Stevens, Guardino, Whitmore. It's an adult police drama taking place in New York. This film has an unreleased score from Don Costa. Directed by Siegel who did a good job.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Peter, what did they pay you for the Harry Potter marathon? wink

Nothing. sad

I should sue someone. wink

Christodoulides wrote
    TOM, is the GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO trilogy worth it? I've been planning to watch those for ages but something always grabs my attention instead at the last minute.

I've only seen the first one, which I thought was brilliant. I rated it a 9 on imdb.

The 2rd and 3rd movies shouldn't be as good as far as I hear. Apparently they were initially produced for TV. They still get high ratings, but less than the 1st flick.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    what is it like, the movie and what is it about ?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Death, death and more death in Sweden.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    It's rather dark. One scene is particularly disturbing and hard to watch (Anyone who've seen the movie knows what I'm talking about).

It's basically a detective story where a 40 year old disappearance of a girl is being investigated. It's incredibly well done and Groth's music works wonders (though less interesting on CD). The characters are interesting too; not the usual vacant, one-dimensional characters we're used to from Hollywood.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Anyone seen the Green lantern trailer yet? Wow, I like Ryan Reynolds (who showed himself to be a comedic genius in Two guys, a girl and a pizza place), but this movie just looks incredibly bad.

Peter smile

PS. Am I the only one who thinks that the green guy at 0:57 in the trailer looks like Kryten from Red Dwarf?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    Anyone seen the Green lantern trailer yet? Wow, I like Ryan Reynolds (who showed himself to be a comedic genius in Two guys, a girl and a pizza place), but this movie just looks incredibly bad.

Peter smile

PS. Am I the only one who thinks that the green guy at 0:57 in the trailer looks like Kryten from Red Dwarf?
    i saw it and it is hideous
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I thought the prospect of having Martin Campbell make a superhero movie could be something worth seeing, but this is just laughable... Ryan Reynolds may be the only good thing about it. He still has the charms and wits to save an entire movie, so that might be his superpowers in this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2010
    Timmer wrote

Ah. Another Ingmar Bergman film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    plindboe wrote
    It's rather dark. One scene is particularly disturbing and hard to watch (Anyone who've seen the movie knows what I'm talking about).

It's basically a detective story where a 40 year old disappearance of a girl is being investigated. It's incredibly well done and Groth's music works wonders (though less interesting on CD). The characters are interesting too; not the usual vacant, one-dimensional characters we're used to from Hollywood.

Peter smile

Can't argue Peter. It really is hard to talk about this one without giving away too much. It is worth a watch for sure.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Keoma (1976)

I felt like watching a spaghetti western last night so I opted for Keoma starring Franco Nero .
    It's directed by Enzo G. Castellari . The spaghetti western was doomed to go down during the late seventies
    and with the making of this one they hoped to avoid that . The movie became an international hit and was granted the status of the 'last great Italian western' . Keoma (played by Nero) returns back to his home town to find his brothers have sided with an outlaw , and with the help of his father and a family friend he vows revenge . Keoma also shows a mark of compassion when he saves a pregnant woman from a mine full of plague victims . Slow motion , gun fights , an anti hero - the film has a lot going for it and I enjoyed it but calling the film the last great Italian western is perhaps going a bit too far . What actually annoyed me the most was the repetitive use of the songs by Guido & Maurizio De Angelis ! How many times can you use the same song in a film ?! Watch Keoma and you'll find out for yourself ! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Ah. Another Ingmar Bergman film.

applause
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Harry Potter & his wee chums on TV.