• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010 edited
    Well yeah, at times it was way too much. The whole empty eerie city and destruction concept was much better utilized in 28 days / weeks later though, imo. Also cloverfield's whiny brat characters weren't likeable at all but maybe this was part of the fun too wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Saw CLOVERFIELD last night on tv.

Quite an interesting concept, terribly cheesy ending, but very fun all in all. The absence of music was spot-on, music was nowhere fitting in there.

I thought it was very good though, like Peter, I found the shaky camera stuff a bit much after a while.

And yeah, it didn't need any music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Monsters

The trailer lied. This isn't the ultimate big monster, horror movie. I loved the premise, and the first part of the movie was very promising. But the two main characters, which are likable enough to begin with, though not great actors, just talk and talk and talk, until you just want them to shut up. The monsters are ok, but nothing special. They were essentially big walking octopi, which wasn't very imaginative, and the CGI looked like the movie was 15 years old. There was almost no monster action, and the end was a huge letdown. I wish someone would redo this movie, because the basic idea of it was great.

My rating: 3 out of 10

Peter slant

Very disappointed to hear that, I was quite looking forward to seeing this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    It does...but I can't. sad

Here's hoping for a torrent/YouTube upload in the near future!

Darn! Is not even possible from Channel 4's website?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Very disappointed to hear that, I was quite looking forward to seeing this.

Me too. I love big monsters! Some people seem to like this movie though; reading about it on the imdb boards. I think it depends on your expectations. If you expect monster mayhem, this will be the biggest letdown ever, simple because all the mayhem seem to occur off-screen. Nothing much happens the entire movie and you expect at least the last ten minutes of the movie to end with a bang, and then [spoiler]the monsters make freaking love!, while the female lead watches them with tears in her eyes, and we, the audience, is supposed to think these creatures are oh so beautiful and misunderstood vomit I guess, in a sense, it did end with a bang, but not the kind of bang I had hoped for.[/spoiler]. Only action you see is a monster picking up a truck. The characters always discover a bunch of dead people afterwards, but we never see any carnage ourselves.

It was not a total waste though. I thought the premise, where the US and mexican governments had sealed off a huge area and were fighting a losing battle to contain the infection was very interesting, and it seemed very real somehow (à la District 9). You could constantly hear fighter jets and helicopters near the infection area, and sometimes hear explosions in the distance, and I thought that gave a great atmosphere.

Still, nothing happened, except for a cheesy love story and an even cheesier moral lesson/political commentary.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, if you can get Channel 4 you can watch something about real tentacles on Thursday. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010
    Electric Mist I enjoyed because I like Tommy Lee Jones
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Pushover with Kim Novak (her first movie) and Fred MacMurray with a score from Arthur Morton. No release on the score in fact no listing in soundtrack collector. Above average noir film
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    It does...but I can't. sad

Here's hoping for a torrent/YouTube upload in the near future!

Darn! Is not even possible from Channel 4's website?

Don't know, to be honest?
    I should probably have a look!

Even though the absolute overabundance of plethora of overindulgence of "talent shows" on Dutch commercial TV drives me -aside from up the wall- to the absolute certainty that cable needs to go and either TV On Demand or a good book is really the only way forward for any viewer who wishes to be entertained, I must confess to being mesmerised by the show So You Think You Can Dance.

Like every other talent show, it auditions talented dancers and puts them through different configurations and different styles.

The Dutch/Belgian talent showcased so far is phenomenal. Seldomly have I seen such athletism, sense of timing, feeling for rhythm and It is a perfect joy to watch such massively talented people working their absolute hearts out. Having worked at the ballet department ofa Conservatory many decades ago, I have gained a deep appreciation for the gruelling efforts and regime a dancer goes through to really be able to stand out. My appreciation for these young boys and girls, so seemingly effortlessly entertaining us with choreograpgies that are nigh to the highest levels of top sport, is boundless!
    I am truly, honestly awed and entertained,

That said, I really like how the BBC got in on the act of "alternative talent shows" with the incredeibly exciting (and VERY well edited) Professional Masterchef, where professional cooks from all over Britain square off in many challenges before a double Michelin star chef. The challenges are creative, educational and -amazingly- more exciting to watch (again: thanks to the phenomenal director and editors!) than most all crime series!

I think what I like particularly about these "alternative" types of talent shows is that -especially with both examples above- it's truly about showcasing, proving and building on extraordinary talent. It's not about slagging off those who fail (complete with laugh track and "funny" cartoon noises) as we've seen far too often (the execreable X Factor front and foremost). Even though both shows occasionally indulge in the non-too-subtle emotional manipulation (sad Hans Zimmer when a contestant is made to leave; thunderous Hans Zimmer during a climactic event slant), overall any emotional reaction is a genuine one, as these people truly are talented, every single one of them, and those who evaluate them are real crackers in their profession.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2010
    Saw a Kollywood movie last week- Endhiran - The Robot

It was campy, fun and very entertaining! It's the most expensive Indian movie made to date. The special effects and animatronics in the last 30 minutes were pretty cool. A R Rahman went all out with the score. It's not often that you hear a symphonic suite playing over the end credits of an Indian film. punk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvB9-TJe_lI
  1. You'll have to forgive my ignorance...but what is Kollywood?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe, looks like fun, BP.

I want to see it.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    You'll have to forgive my ignorance...but what is Kollywood?

Korean??
  2. Apparently it's the Tamil film industry and is a mix of the words "Kodambakkam" and "Hollywood".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kobakkywood sounds more defining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Apparently it's the Tamil film industry and is a mix of the words "Kodambakkam" and "Hollywood".

punk

Timmer wrote
    Kobakkywood sounds more defining.

That would be too long. It's a general rule to use the first letter of the language or city.

Tollywood (movies in Telugu language)
    Lollywood (films from Lahore, Pakistan)

plindboe wrote
    Hehe, looks like fun, BP.

I want to see it.

Peter smile

I'll let you know if there are subtitled videos when they appear online. Lots of sites like Youtube have Indian movies uploaded in many parts.
  3. Lollywood sounds...

cute.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    So I guess a Pakistani treatment of an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical would be called LollyCats?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    *coat*
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BURIED

I've seen Buried, and loved it; heart-stopping and has you on the edge for the entire 100 minutes of its duration; the directing and the story are incredibly clever and original, only one scenery for the entire 100 minutes, that's genius. The music is not too loud and prominent but during the opening scene and another important couple of scenes in the film it was obvious and emotionally strong. Its presence was very discreet but worked wonders in the film with its raw staccato brass and colored through Giacchino, Velasquez' Devil and Chris Young. Good work, nothing groundbreaking but aided the film. The movie was very impressive. I love the how young and unknown directors pop up lately and deliver fresh ideas in the film business, more of this please.
  4. Just seen the 31st Chilean miner being brought to the surface. Hoping to stay awake for the final miner to reach the surface.

Sorry, but I won't be staying up to see the 4-5 men who went down to help the miners prepare for their journey to the surface. shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2010
    BhelPuri wrote
    I'll let you know if there are subtitled videos when they appear online. Lots of sites like Youtube have Indian movies uploaded in many parts.

Cool, thanks.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    BURIED

Just looked up the trailer on youtube. Certainly looks.... unique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWVoUBgVcf8

I love youtube comments btw:

the best part is when he is in the box

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's very clever and fresh, for a change; not guaranteed that everyone will like it, but still i appreciate its qualities smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    BURIED

Just looked up the trailer on youtube. Certainly looks.... unique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWVoUBgVcf8

I love youtube comments btw:

It's not all that unique. Tarantino directed a two hour episode of CSI where one of the major charcters was buried alive.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, didn't know that. But was the camera in that in the tomb as well for the entire duration? With not another scene at all?
  5. plindboe wrote
    Monsters

The trailer lied. This isn't the ultimate big monster, horror movie. I loved the premise, and the first part of the movie was very promising. But the two main characters, which are likable enough to begin with, though not great actors, just talk and talk and talk, until you just want them to shut up. The monsters are ok, but nothing special. They were essentially big walking octopi, which wasn't very imaginative, and the CGI looked like the movie was 15 years old. There was almost no monster action, and the end was a huge letdown. I wish someone would redo this movie, because the basic idea of it was great.

My rating: 3 out of 10

Peter slant

good to know that, I will not watch it then
    I'll go for Skyline instead. Perhaps a typical Hollywood movie, but I just want it to be fun smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    Pushover with Kim Novak (her first movie) and Fred MacMurray with a score from Arthur Morton. No release on the score in fact no listing in soundtrack collector. Above average noir film
    Thomas smile

Rewatched for the second time and give it a very good rating. EG Marshall, Phil Carey, and Dorothy Malone as supporting roles were quite good and MacMurray wasn't quite as wooden the second time around. Novak did improve over the years. She was pretty much eye candy in this one

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ah, didn't know that. But was the camera in that in the tomb as well for the entire duration? With not another scene at all?

Most of it was... but there were cutaways to the other characters and their reactions to the situation. This Buried film also reminds me of Phone Booth with Colin Farrell.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!