• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2012 edited
    I came across the ending to David Cronenberg's The Fly on Youtube. It's a film that I haven't seen for a while but I was struck whilst watching the film how ridiculous the ending is. But I find that, regardless of the situation and the sometimes ropey SFX, I always have a tear in my eye by the end - and that's down mainly to Howard Shore's excellent score.

Based upon the titles of the music used at the end of the film - "Plasma Pool" and "The Last Visit" - the music that's used has been tracked from earlier in the film (it would be interesting to know if there was other music originally written for this finale). But I think that it works extremely well and has such an emotional power that it cuts through the deficiencies of the rest of the film and sucks you into the film.

[Edit] - here's a video of the climax of the film with the relevant (from about 2:40)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH-8L1iZq20
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  1. Since my comment on The Fly caused so much discussion I thought that I would do another.

Shuffling through iTunes and some of my favourite cues John Carpenter's track "It Will Be Morning Soon" from Halloween III: Season of the Witch played and I was thinking that this track, though simple, is one of Carpenter's most effective cues.

Basically just a repetitive descent down the scale on keyboards with some electronic tones layered underneath, the composer somehow manages to instil the piece with such a sense of foreboding that when it's heard alongside the visuals, it elevates a simple scene of what's - to be honest - a pretty cheesy film.

Check out the Youtube video clip from about 1:02:30 to hear the latter part of the track and hopefully you'll get a sense of hopelessness, inevitability as well as the foreboding that the music gives the scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJkQ_TmNxKc
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2012
    (Sorry Alan, this is not a reply to your posts...)

We watched Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull last night.
    Well, since many people were so disappointed I thought it wouldn't be that good so I was surprised how much fun it was. The usual Indy ingredients were all there!

I jumped in my seat hearing the Ark's theme at the warehouse and I noticed the music when seeing seniors photo. My family declared me a geek for hearing that of course...

Just wanted to say I enjoyed the movie. I'm not sure it should have been made, but that's not something we can change now. It has been made and I thought they made it well. I wonder if this was one to glue the originals to a new series with Henry Jr Jr?! It sure looked like that, didn't it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2012 edited
    This review pretty much sums up my opinion of this film: http://redlettermedia.com/mr-plinetts-i … ll-review/

As Mr. Plinkett points out in the review, one of the main problems with it is Harrison Ford is just too old to be playing Indiana Jones. It's not really the character that we love, but the idea of the character. We want to be Indiana Jones, or follow him on his adventures. With this films it feels like there's an old guy dressing up like Indiana Jones pretending to be him… but it's not really Indiana Jones. And who wants to end up marrying an old Marion!? The makers of this film didn't understand their own creation well enough to just leave it!

The script is also weak (inter-dimensional beings? What?), with pointless plots turn and boring -sometimes confusing- characters. There's some nice scenes early on with Mutt and Indy, particularly in the diner, but the film just feels like a watered down, video game version of a real Indiana Jones film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I came across the ending to David Cronenberg's The Fly on Youtube. It's a film that I haven't seen for a while but I was struck whilst watching the film how ridiculous the ending is.

I find Goldblum's performance negating the silly premise.
    While the music helps, I still think it's a very decent remake!

Steven wrote
    This review pretty much sums up my opinion of this film: http://redlettermedia.com/mr-plinetts-i … ll-review/

As Mr. Plinkett points out in the review, one of the main problems with it is Harrison Ford is just too old to be playing Indiana Jones.

I strongly disagree. I like old Indy. I just wish it would have been explored more (and better): an adventurer/hero in a world that's not really his any more, coping rather than ruling.
    I think one of the very best shots in the film was when Indy gives Mutt the "Henry Sr." look during a paticularly destructive moment in the motorcycle chase: he had become his father at that point!
    I loved that!

But to have a 60 year old go through the actions of a thirty year old really didn't work for me.
    Aside from the horrendous flaw of -as Franz quite righly put it- the too easy and too fast McGuffin (rendering the rest of the plot pretty much moot), the ineffectual Blanchett and Hurt and the far too explicit ending (well...explicit...that "inter-dimensional space" had me grinding my teeth as well. slant )

But, like Bregje, I sure as hell liked all the little idiocyncracies and references like the Ark and Marion (although while I do understand and appreciate (in some way) the reference of the rubber snake, it really didn't come off: if you're going to do a thirties/forties Tarzan pastiche, don't use Indy for it)

I've read the some of the earlier plot outlines and pretty much every single one was far better, more fun and more coherent (I especially loved the title "Indiana Jones And The Saucermen From Mars"! biggrin alien ).

I do hope there'll be a fifth Indiana Jones.
    And I hope it'll be a more introspective one, retiring the character with some dignity and grace.
    And, if at all possible, with a bang. explode
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

Hey, who's that skinny teenager playing Indy in Part 2 at 2:32 mark and at 2:39?! :whip:

Martijn wrote
    I think one of the very best shots in the film was when Indy gives Mutt the "Henry Sr." look during a paticularly destructive moment in the motorcycle chase: he had become his father at that point!
    I loved that!

I understand the joke but I HATED it! HATED IT! Goes againsts Indy's character completely! I don't want Indy to become Henry Sr bitching and complaining that a chase is too dangerous. It was too dangerous to Henry Sr. because it never happened to him before. As for Indy, it happens to him ALL THE TIME! He's used to it! David Koepp sucks!

Martijn wrote
    But, like Bregje, I sure as hell liked all the little idiocyncracies and references like the Ark and Marion

Yeah, remember how awesome these films use to be? Here's the warehouse. Here's the Ark. No thanks! The Ark joke worked fine once in Last Crusade but not again in Crystal Skull.

Crystal Skull is a terrible, terrible film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    As for Indy, it happens to him ALL THE TIME! He's used to it!

Not any more. He's old. He's different .
    It happens to all of us.
    I like it. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Had the film focused more on the Mutt and Indy relationship and made it about that (and admittedly where it did, it did quite well), and had the script been much better, then yes, an old Indy may have worked. But it certainly didn't in the film I saw!

But you said it, "a 60 year old [going] through the actions of a thirty year old really didn't work for me." They may have made a few tips of the hat, so to speak, about his age, but it still felt awkward seeing a 65 year old Indiana Jones running around in the same clothes as he was when he was half that age. If it was about the character, the costume wouldn't have been needed. But the costume is the character! It's the embodiment of the character. When I think Indiana Jones, I think of the iconic imagery of a younger man going on adventures, not old Indiana Jones ready for retirement marrying another old person ready for retirement. That doesn't exactly set the fires of my inner child alight.

If they do make a fifth one, I hope they learn from their mistakes on the fourth one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    This discussion again!

I'm with Martijn on this one. I'd love to see a more character-driven study of Indy -- much like the YOUNG INDY series -- that plays upon his age even more.

I also think CRYSTALL SKULL is a pretty good film. Sure, there are obvious flaws, but it's far better than what people (fans of the franchise, in particular) give it credit for.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It has good parts, I wouldn't say it's a good film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    As for Indy, it happens to him ALL THE TIME! He's used to it!

Not any more. He's old. He's different .
    It happens to all of us.
    I like it. smile

He's still an adventurer. Also, did he completely forget what just happened to him a few days earlier. You know... truck chase in warehouse, machine gun fire, fight with huge Russian, rocket sled, NUCLEAR EXPLOSION!!! Yeah, Indy's not different. He might have some arthritis but he can still kick ass and a little motorcycle chase is going to make him piss his pants. This whole "did you see what you just did, son?" rubbed me the wrong way. I mean, Indy's the one that basically started the brawl in the diner. He knew what he was doing.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, I think you're right on that score, Erik: like it or not, they should have concentrated on -like Steven says- EITHER the iconic aspect OR the man...but not a bit of both.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    This discussion again!

Yeah, get used to it!

Thor wrote
    I'm with Martijn on this one. I'd love to see a more character-driven study of Indy -- much like the YOUNG INDY series -- that plays upon his age even more.

I like the idea of Indy being forced into an adventure. I don't think he'd still be globetrotting at 58. Maybe he would. Who knows. But if they do one last movie he has to be forced into it. He should be in retirement but something has to make him go out for ONE LAST ADVENTURE.

Thor wrote
    I also think CRYSTALL SKULL is a pretty good film. Sure, there are obvious flaws, but it's far better than what people (fans of the franchise, in particular) give it credit for.

It's horrible. There are some good moments but nothing that holds the film together. The film DIES a horrible and lengthy death after the terrible jungle chase. There are TOO many characters and Indy again doesn't really do much at the end of the film. sleep And holy shit do I ever miss Douglas Slocombe. I watched Temple of Doom with my son a few days ago and my God does it ever look gorgeous. The pastel, soft, ugly look of Kaminski's photography and lighting doesn't help Crystal Skull one bit.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree with you that there are particular problems from the Tarzan sequence and onwards, but not too bad -- especially not compared to other films in the same genre that has been produced over the last years.

The film has enough Spielberg moments for me to appreciate it. The warts are there -- mostly inherited from the script -- but they're tolerable, IMO.

I've never understood why AGE is such a big issue for people. It's all about it's written and executed. I think they played upon it quite a bit in CRYSTALL SKULL. The only thing I missed was more introspective material. Besides, being 60+ isn't that much of an age nowadays in terms of physical acting -- especially not if you're as fit as Ford.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Age is an issue because of the reasons I described above! I quite liked the idea of seeing an old Indy... until I saw the film. (And part of me still does, but it has to be done right.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My main problem was Shia LeBouffant, can't stand him.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    My main problem was Shia LeBouffant, can't stand him.

biggrin

Yeah, so far, he seems like he's into Hollywood by either chance or via some important daddy, momma, aunty etc.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2012 edited
    Not been a big fan of him either up untill now, but I think he has the potential to grow. I love the fact that he's sworn to leave big Hollywood blockbusters and focus more on indie (no pun intended) fare. For example, the upcoming von Trier film on nymphomania.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    Not been a big fan of him either up untill now, but I think he has the potential to grow. I love the fact that he's sworn to leave big Hollywood blockbusters and focus more on indie (no pun intended) fare. For example, the upcoming von Trier film on nymphomania.

The hormones of the young lad getting the better of him? Dropping blockbusters for a film about nymphomania?
  3. Yeah, he admits to getting the part, because he sent a sex tape to von Trier biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorDr Bashir
    I did that too but it's got me nowhere. Does anyone want to see it?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Depends. Are you wearing a mostache?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    It never bothered me that he is older, he didn't look too old to me. And the clothes look OK to me too, why would a 60 year old not wear that?

And who is talking about retirement?? Why would he retire?
    Many professors do not retire. Because they are too interested in their subject, they love their job and they would never quit work to go play Bingo.

Thinking about it... his age is really the minor problem in this movie.

Thanks for the replies. For me it was not 'this discussion again' but the first time because I didn't see the movie sooner.
    wave
  4. pleasantly surprised by the 2 new movies we saw this weekend

- The Amazing Spider-Man

Even though I liked the first and definitely second one of Raimi, this version indeed has the better actors and above all better chemistry. Garfield is more human and likeable than Maguire and Stone is just sooooo lovely. The action and ideas are top notch, and I have to say I enjoyed Horner's score in it. I didn't listen to it prior because I wanted to experience it in the film first, but I thought it definitely sounded good and very appropriate. So thumbs up for picture and score

8 out of 10 (movie)

----------------------

Journey 2

Sequel to Journey to the Center of the Earth which is just fun fun fun from start to bottom. Rarely have I enjoyed myself more than now, especially because it's just harmless plain old school fun. Lots of adventure, laughs and I have to say pretty spectacular effects. But besides the fun and the laughs between the actor's chemistry, I enjoyed Lockington's score even more. Again, like The Amazing Spider-Man I wanted to experience it first before hearing it on CD. And I must say, wow this is a bullseye. I hope the album presentation lives up to all the stuff I heard in the film. The main theme of the first film mixed with the new atlantis theme and the new main theme sounds amazing during the trek scene in the middle of the film. Score and movie were awesome to experience in HD picture and sound

7 out of 10 (movie)

now, gonna check them out on CD punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2012 edited
    Saw tonight:

ARGO (Ben Affleck) ***

A well made film that impresses in the first half, yet the flawed final act diminishes the overall impact it could have had. Desplat's score is serviceable, not great, while the mix is so much to the background that it's difficult to impress or even register if you're not strictly paying attention to the music. Also, several tracks from the album are unused while a few temp tracks remained in the film and are also credited. Most notably: Harry Gregson-Williams' SPY GAME (the piano theme is featured in the final act), Mark Isham's IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH and a track by Andrew Lockington is credited.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2012
    Spy game and Valley of Ellah? Yeah, great temp scores for your movie rolleyes
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2012
    Is this actually the first time a Desplat score is plagued by the temp (aside from the more deliberate Harry Potters)?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2012
    SUPERMAN vs HULK

Not badly done at all cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2012
    Yes, seen it before. Quite cool! I like that the animator did the RIGHT Superman. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2012
    Martijn wrote
    Yes, seen it before. Quite cool! I like that the animator did the RIGHT Superman. smile

Me too! cool