• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012
    It's one of his most enjoyables i think, the whole transformers saga; good, honest, naive and at times - cheap, but FUN!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. plindboe wrote
    Just watched all the Transformers movies. I'm sure there's something wrong with me, as I really enjoy them. Strange, as I dislike everything else Michael Bay has made. I think the humour is great, the casting is excellent, the scoring is fantastic and the effects, sounds and designs of the transformers are hella cool. I'm probably also the only person on this planet besides Shia LaBeouf's mom who actually likes him.

Transformers 1: 8 out of 10
    Transformers 2: 7
    Transformers 3: 8

Peter cool

glad you enjoyed them

I give slightly different ratings dizzy
    Transformers 1: 10 out of 10 (for me a movie that totally defines epic summer pop corn movie)
    Transformers 2: 6 out of 10 (waaaaaay too long and they ridicule the characters too much all the while they insert these stupid little plot stories)
    Transformers 3: 7 out of 10, again too long for its own good, but at least it's so much more fun than the second, especially because of the overlong action scene at the end)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    It's one of his most enjoyables i think, the whole transformers saga; good, honest, naive and at times - cheap, but FUN!

Not fun for me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Does anyone have any idea what the first time travel story may have been? I was thinking maybe H.G. Wells The Time Machine? Would Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol count?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Did Jules Verne ever write anything about time travel? I can't remember.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote

I'm not sure what you mean by 'honest' and 'naive', and I certainly wouldn't call them cheap! (Unless you mean cheap in artistic merit rather that production?) And "good" is, of course, a matter of perspective. I enjoyed the first one, but the sequels took what was bad about the first one and exaggerated them. They just got progressively worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I just remember -- the sanskrit epic Mahabharata contains elements of time travel, albeit in a mythological sense. That epic, along with the Ramayana, are two of the main sources for the thematics of Indian films, by the way. These are thousands of years old.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

I'm not sure what you mean by 'honest' and 'naive', and I certainly wouldn't call them cheap! (Unless you mean cheap in artistic merit rather that production?) And "good" is, of course, a matter of perspective. I enjoyed the first one, but the sequels took what was bad about the first one and exaggerated them. They just got progressively worse.

Cheap in all merits, except for the production values smile
  2. I saw "The Dark Knight Rising" for the first time last night. You know, I tend to not see films in the theatre anymore if I intend to buy the DVD anyway. Ispecially when it comes to action films. I hate that pop-corn throwing, chatting, ipod-playing, visit-the-restroom-all-15-minutes crowd. Not for me anymore.

However, I now get to see all the summer blockbusters. I basically liked "Rising" but I had forgotten most of the back story and I need to see all three films again. The film felt too long with 2,5 h going, it could have been trimmed down a bit. Alfred leaving Bruce felt odd and so did the final scene. The music did nothing for me, it didn't thrill me, it didn't annoy me either, I mostly didn't notice it at all.

Oh, well, tonight it's gonna be "The Amazing Spider-Man".
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2012
    Spider-Man ain't much better!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN starts off promsingly, but quickly plummets in quality. Raimi's SPIDERMAN was a much better film, IMO.

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, however, is in a whole other league than either of those two. A brilliant film!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Seriously? Amazing spiderman was awesome, way more mature and balanced that Raimi's hollywood cliches!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Seriously? Amazing spiderman was awesome, way more mature and balanced that Raimi's hollywood cliches!

I haven't seen it yet. I still haven't seen Dark Knight Rises either.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote

False! Amazing Spider-Man is over long with not enough Spider-Man. How long does it take before we see the web slinger? While the chemistry with far better between the two leads in Amazing Spider-Man than in Raimi's versions, Raimi, IMO, made two of the greatest super hero films of all time with the first two films... especially the second film, which is almost flawless! Also, Elfman's scores are significantly better, especially the second one.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

False! Amazing Spider-Man is over long with not enough Spider-Man. How long does it take before we see the web slinger? While the chemistry with far better between the two leads in Amazing Spider-Man than in Raimi's versions, Raimi, IMO, made two of the greatest super hero films of all time with the first two films... especially the second film, which is almost flawless! Also, Elfman's scores are significantly better, especially the second one.

-Erik-

The bit where Spidey saves the train in Spidey 2 always tears me up, the first two have heart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    I enjoyed the first film. The first 10 minutes or so of the second film was awesome... and then it all went down hill after that. I loathe LeBeouf, Michael Bay used to make movies I really enjoyed, and I can't say I will ever spin Jablonsky's scores ever again.

It sounds like you're the anti-plindboe. If we ever meet, there's a real chance that the Universe could collapse on itself.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2012 edited
    Not anti anyone. Just voicing my opinion. And look, about 16 billion people saw the second and third film so I'm in the minority here. There's obviously an audience for that sort of stuff. I'm acutally part of the target audience for these films since I grew up with Transformers in the 80's - but Michael Bay raped my childhood. wink tongue

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Just watched all the Transformers movies. I'm sure there's something wrong with me, as I really enjoy them. Strange, as I dislike everything else Michael Bay has made. I think the humour is great, the casting is excellent, the scoring is fantastic and the effects, sounds and designs of the transformers are hella cool. I'm probably also the only person on this planet besides Shia LaBeouf's mom who actually likes him.

Transformers 1: 8 out of 10
    Transformers 2: 7
    Transformers 3: 8

Peter cool

glad you enjoyed them

I give slightly different ratings dizzy
    Transformers 1: 10 out of 10 (for me a movie that totally defines epic summer pop corn movie)
    Transformers 2: 6 out of 10 (waaaaaay too long and they ridicule the characters too much all the while they insert these stupid little plot stories)
    Transformers 3: 7 out of 10, again too long for its own good, but at least it's so much more fun than the second, especially because of the overlong action scene at the end)

Whoa, a 10! I only give the perfect score of 10 to timeless masterpieces like Once upon a time in the west, The empire strikes back, One flew over the cuckoo's nest and of course Braindead.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Captain Future wrote
    Oh, well, tonight it's gonna be "The Amazing Spider-Man".

It's fun with a reboot, to compare the different approaches. I found The amazing spider-man anything but amazing though. The average spider-man might have been a more fitting title. Andrew Garfield is a better actor than Tobey Maguire, but that's the only positive thing I can currently think about. Worth a watch, but afterwards it's up on the shelves to collect dust.

Peter smile
  3. I liked AMAZING SPIDER-MAN much more than DARK KNIGHT RISES. One of them didn't take itself too seriously. Spider-Man's human notes ring much truer.

Didn't mind BOURNE LEGACY either. Saw it and Spider-Man on a plane.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

So, now I've seen it!

I agree, it's too long! Just as "Rising". Why can't they tell a relatively simple story in a 100 minutes and be done with it? So witch film did I like better?

- With regard to the story I would not know to choose one over the other. On par I say.
    - Score: I love Horner's score! But then I love Elfman's score, too. Both fit their respective film like a glove. I can't say a lot about Elfman's second score. One should compare those telling the same story anyway. And I must say, the "Amazing Spider-Man" is my No 3 super-heroe-score after "Superman" and "Batman" (Duck and cover - Erik strikes back! tongue )
    - Visuals: Strangely I found the CGI in the old film better than in the new one. Was the Lizzard played by a man in a suit? He looked like Godzilla.
    - Cast: I prefer Tobey Maguire's more sympathetic approach. And Kirsten Dunst - well - far more sexy! spin
    - The 2002 film had a better graphic-novel-feel to it, I think. I'm getting a bit tired of films who try to turn super heroes into Freudian case studies.
    - All in all: I still don't know, why wee needed this remake after just 10 years.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    To be fair, I actually prefer Horner's score over Elfman's (yes, you heard that right), but I felt the film was so-so. I particularly groaned when all the American patriotic clichées kicked in. Raimi steered clear of that.

As for THE DARK KNIGHT RISES....well, I felt THE DARK KNIGHT was a masterpiece, and RISES wasn't that far behind.

None of the SPIDERMAN films have been even close to Nolan's films.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012 edited
    Thor wrote
    To be fair, I actually prefer Horner's score over Elfman's (yes, you heard that right), but I felt the film was so-so. I particularly groaned when all the American patriotic clichées kicked in. Raimi steered clear of that.

As for THE DARK KNIGHT RISES....well, I felt THE DARK KNIGHT was a masterpiece, and RISES wasn't that far behind.

None of the SPIDERMAN films have been even close to Nolan's films.

And thank god they aren't as Spiderman was never meant to be that serious; I'm glad that "Amazing Spiderman" stayed away from the over pretentious tone of the Nolan movies (much evident in the Horner score which gets to soar and not drone). At first I was weary of yet another new take on Spiderman so soon, but to me Amazing Spiderman did everything right (actor, look, action, music, ...).

I've never been the biggest fan of the Raimi Spiderman movies, safe for part two the trilogy was very weak. Music-wise, I like Young contributions, Elfman's foundation was ok but it's Horner who steals the show with that beautiful trumpet theme. Definitely the score of the year for me!

P.S. regarding Raimi steering clear of the American patriotic clichées; wasn't Spiderman near making out with the American flag in the first one? It remember it being featured prominently. wink

in potato quality
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012
    I thought Raimi's vision was purely American, thus the extra love by many Americano-Canado-British people wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've actually never really been a fan of the character Spiderman to begin with, but as far as the films are concerned, I thought Raimi's version was a decent comic book flick.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    I thought Raimi's vision was purely American, thus the extra love by many Americano-Canado-British people wink

Come again? confused
  5. Demetris wrote

Indeed. Maybe they cut something out of Amazing Spider-Man for my emirates flight but I seem to remember seeing far more flags unfurling in the breeze in Raimi's films.

To be honest I'm sick of these films. I couldn't make it through avengers when I tried to watch it. Somehow amazing pulled me into a story I already knew. I think it has to have been the leads cause I don't know that I'll go out of my way to watch superheroes duke it out just for its own sake again.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. I want to weigh in on several things going on!

Transformers: I think Michael Bay is not a good film maker at all. I thought Transformers was junk, didn't bother with the second one. Saw the third one just because it was on netflix, and didn't hate it. Perhaps because I expected to. It was still dumb, but at least the 3D forced Bay to keep his cameras a little more steady and use a few more wide angles. That was one thing that drove me crazy about the first one: why have such good special effects if you're going to hide them with out-of-control shaky cameras zoomed in so close you can't see anything??

Spider-Man: I recently just saw the new one and then rewatched the original for comparison. As long as Amazing Spider-Man was in rom-com mode (the first hour or so) it was pretty watchable and felt a lot more real than Raimi's film. Once he actually became Spidey, though, the film spiraled downward quickly. The entire city is already of fan of Spider-man even though the only thing he's ever done is unsuccessfully chase down his uncle's killer? It was an unnecessary remake, except for the studio, who apparently had to make another film for the rights not to revert back to Marvel. Raimi's original had a lot more character. Peter's transformation was way more fun. The film overall had a lot more comedy in it. Oh, and Spidey didn't just shrug off gun-shot wounds. Raimi's original wasn't perfect, and got pretty hokey, but his follow-up is still my favorite super-hero movie.

If you haven't seen HISHE's take on the Amazing Spider-Man, check it out. it's better than the actual film smile Here's their website.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

Come again? confused

I think D sometimes gets confused that Canada and Britain are actually different countries to the USA. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012 edited
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

Come again? confused

I think D sometimes gets confused that Canada and Britain are actually different countries to the USA. wink

Mostly for Canada: but yet so similar in many ways wink