• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2012
    Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

This is a big step-up from its risible predecessor. I enjoyed it a lot, even if a lot of it is exceptionally silly (there's almost a Roger Moore / James Bond vibe to it); I'd probably have enjoyed it a lot more if I hadn't watched the impeccable Bourne Ultimatum, the gold standard of modern Hollywood action thrillers, just beforehand.

The Girl Who blah blah trilogy

Now this was wonderful. I've had the Blu Ray set for a year but have never quite got round to watching them all until now. Taut and gripping throughout. First-rate acting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2012
    I enjoyed Ghost Protocol quite a lot. I like that most of the effects shots felt quite real, and seemingly a lot of the action was real with very little CGI intrusion. (Well, that's what I seem to remember. I may be wrong?) I do remember liking the carparking/briefcase scene, very well executed. I also like the unashamedly stereotypical "geographical" music used in the obligatory desert, Indian and Russian scenes. In fact, I think the whole score is fantastic.
  1. One of the nice things about ghost protocol is the way the clarity of visual direction you see in brad birds animation comes through on the big screen.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2012
    Yeah, I watched Ghost Protocol for the first time last month and greatly enjoyed it. Giacchino's score is top-notch in context.
  2. Captain Future wrote
    Yesterday night I saw the first two episodes of

"Downtown Abbey"

that startet airing on German PBS. I'm not so much into this kind of productions but I like this series quite a bit. Great cast, exelent dialogues, excelent production design, interisting story, if not too original.

I also liked the score by John Lunn whom I've never heard of before. I will now investigate.

Great show! I really enjoyed season 1 of Downton. The score is very enjoyable in context, though I still haven't purchased it on CD yet. Season 2 wasn't as good, imo, but I still liked it.

Lately I've gotten into J.J. Abrams ALIAS. I've really been enjoying it! I missed this when it was on TV and haven't ever really heard anyone talk about it. It's not in syndication as far as I can tell. It's silly in a lot of ways (doesn't SD-6 or the CIA have any agents besides Jennifer Garner's character - she gets sent on every mission!), but overall I think it's good. The story moves along very quickly, which is nice compared to a lot of TV shows these days that seem to wallow in their current conflict and not really change anything until the season finale. It's no suprise to me that Abrams was invited to direct and then produce a couple of M:I films.

To add to conversation about GHOST PROTOCOL, I thought it was better than any of them since the original. It was very well directed I thought, but could have been even better if Bird had been more involved in the writing as well. (or was he? I thought he didn't have much to do with the story or script in this one)
  3. I just saw Martin Scorsese's "Hugo"! That must be one of the best feel-good-movies I have seen in a very long time. Stellar cast, great visuals, nice story - two hours very well spent. The train station becomes the theatre of life. The film is a hymn to film making and to humaneness. It gets a bit cheesy in places but that's part of the game.

Yeah, kids who grew up on films like "Transformers", may well be bored by this film. As far as I'm concerned such films reasure me that the art of film-making is not forgotten.

I was a little bit underhelmed when I first listened to Howard Shore's score on CD, I liked it but did not return to it very often. That will change now. I loved the score in context!

One point though: I was a bit disapointed that my German DVD does not feater the French dubbing. During the whole film I had the feeling that this is a film that ought to be enjoyed in Frensh. The distinctly British style of speaking felt a bit odd in front of the Eiffel Tower.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2012
    Life of Pi

There are two words usually associated with films like this and those two words are "Best Picture" - a visual feast, a story that can be enjoyed by some purely as a wonderful fable and can be thought about by others for hours and days afterwords. That Ang Lee is one to watch.
  4. Amazing movie, isn't it? And Danna's score is really good in it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012
    Captain Future wrote
    I just saw Martin Scorsese's "Hugo"! That must be one of the best feel-good-movies I have seen in a very long time. Stellar cast, great visuals, nice story - two hours very well spent. The train station becomes the theatre of life. The film is a hymn to film making and to humaneness.

I enjoyed the movie too, especially the visuals and the whole feel of it.
    But I have to admit I thought the acting of the boy wasnt that good and that was a bit distracting to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Southall wrote
    Life of Pi

There are two words usually associated with films like this and those two words are "Best Picture" - a visual feast, a story that can be enjoyed by some purely as a wonderful fable and can be thought about by others for hours and days afterwords. That Ang Lee is one to watch.

I'm looking forward to it very much!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Me too!
    Kazoo
  5. Another disappointing outing with the Doctor. Some potential but what was that story?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. So ... The Hobbit.

Actually I had a good time. 'Tis true there's an easy 20-25 minutes that could have been trimmed there*, but actually this felt more in keeping with The Hobbit's light tone than I expected. Martin Freeman in particular keeps it real, as does Gollum (oddly enough). Many of the jokes seemed to be working. PJ does have a way of overplaying the big dramatic turning points in a script -- (compare the way Thorin seems to be chiding Bilbo in their last scene to the way Aragorn barks 'where is the ring?' in Fellowship of the ring -- the same subtle dramaturge is at work!).

The grim symphony of the soundtrack is perfectly functional in distinguishing who is on screen (possibly helpful for the blind), and separating moments in between the camps of mildly humour, merely ominous and absolutely threatening. All power to those who enjoy it as music as well but that is beyond me sadly these days.

* To trim: stone giants (pointless action scene), some of the wargs in daylight (dodgy effects), most of the Ian Holm footage and all of Elijah Wood, some of the structural attempts to echo Lord of the Rings, Radagast wasn't threaded in in the most efficient way. All of this is good extended edition fodder. The unexpected party is fine -- it's just some of the stages within it are a teensy bit flabby. I'm half convinced some of this stuff was left in the film to make people feel perfectly ok to go home halfway through the journey.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2012
    I would never have trimmed away the Ian Holm sequence. Holm being one of my alltime favourite actors, he was one of the reasons why I looked forward to the film in the first place, regardless if an 'older' version of Bilbo appeared in the book (can't remember anymore). It plays upon the film's strength as a dynamic between familiar and new.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Yeah, I get the charm of all that, you loved it, wouldn't change a minute, etc. But when the camera turned away to find Elijah Wood, it did have the effect of stopping the film for me for a few very chatty Tolkien-loving minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Yeah, I get the charm of all that. But when the camera turned away to find Elijah Wood, it did have the effect of stopping the film for me for a few very chatty Tolkien-loving minutes.

Hmmm. I didn't get that. I got kinda 'goosebumps' in that whole sequence....was I really back where we left off 10 years ago, which back then turned out to be one of the greatest cinematic experiences of the 2000's? I think they were quite reserved in the Wood & Holm appearance. If I'm right, we also enter the story right before the big party that opens FOTR?
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I don't know Thor -- I'm just going on my gut here. You obviously love every minute of this thing and will brook no criticism. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2012 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I don't know Thor -- I'm just going on my gut here. You obviously love every minute of this thing and will brook no criticism. tongue

Actually, I do agree with your other issues in the 'trim' comment (stone giants, Radagast, vargs).
    I am extremely serious.
  9. It's very hard to propose a statement that you will completely agree with, you know. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    It's very hard to propose a statement that you will completely agree with, you know. wink

I'm not sure I would agree with that. wink
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Let those who have hair, pull it out. I have none left to grip. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Another disappointing outing with the Doctor. Some potential but what was that story?

Really?
    I thought it was one of the better outings for Eleven!
    In fact, it's been a long time since I enjoyed an episode that much. I feared the worst when I saw the snowmen with teeth in the teaser, but the overall result was far better than that silly premise, with thanks to a plucky performance by the lovely Jenna-Louise Coleman, and the always redoubtable Richard E. Grant (one of my favourite actors I never get to see in anything), looking even more sour than usual!

And thank GOD [spoiler]we've lost that incredibly annoying Amy and Rory (no complaint to the actors, who actually were quite good. It was just the way both characters were scripted that REALLY got on my tits. Continuously.
    Amy's one-dimensional "tough guy" image and Rory's nineties metro-man stereotype got very old in only one episode. Leave alone several seasons).
    [/spoiler]

I'm actually looking forward to the rest of the season now and unravelling the mystery of [spoiler]the impossible woman who died twice[/spoiler].
    Just as I'd as good as given up on this doctor.
    dalek
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  11. I didn't like the story at all. And again things seemed too rushed, particularly towards the end. And that bit with crying! That was awful!!

I did like the comedic potato-head character - he needs his own show.

I thought that some of the early interaction between The Doctor and his new assistant was good.

But I don't like Richard E. Grant, or what they have done with the theme or the credits sequence...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And that bit with crying! That was awful!!

Agreed. That was a true groan-out-loud moment.

I did like the comedic potato-head character - he needs his own show.

Agree again. A [spoiler]Sontaran sidekick[/spoiler]. What a fantastic idea! And with some truly awesome dialogue. [spoiler]"If you resist, you wil be obliterated. Can I take your coat?"[/spoiler]
    I thought the dialogue in general was up a notch or tow from previous seasons anyway!

But I don't like Richard E. Grant, or what they have done with the theme or the credits sequence...

shocked
    How can anyone not like Richard E. Grant???
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  12. Agreed. The dialogue was definitely better than previous outings. Matt Smith excelled at being the haunted Doctor. And how his mood changed when he answered the door to REG was excellent acting, I thought.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Richard E. Grant IS A FILM SCORE FAN, how can he not be liked cool wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. Is he? I like that about him but I haven't really liked anything he has done. Sorry Richard.
  14. Was a very good 3 day movie experience:

- Hugo

2nd viewing (now in 2D) and low and behold I loved it much more now. Much more magical and charming than I remember it (now raising it to 8), such charming wonderful cinema with a big thank you for such stunning camera work

8 out of 10

------------------------------------------------

- Waitress

What you say? Such a charming picture. The director who starred in this film was murdered at the time of editing (which is just horrible). But she can be proud of this charming picture because it's such a sweet little story with 2 actors I love to see in films (Keri Russell love and Nathan Fillion) (3 if you add the recently deceased Andy Griffith). Anyway, such a small but lovely dramatic / romantic comedy

7 out of 10

There Will be Blood

Holy crap, even though my brother needed to give me a push with this one, what a gripping tale. Marvelously acted and shot, this movie does leave a big impression behind, not the least because of the eclectic and gripping score of Johnny Greenwood (which I heard now for the first time). Daniel Day-Lewis, you are truly one of the finest character actors out there. Plus those final 10 minutes are sensational.

10 out of 10

Remember Me

Another high quality drama. It's the kind of movie that I liked because of the strong character telling (most notably between Robert Pattinson and Pierce Brosnan, and because of the charming connection between Pattinson and de Ravin), but it's also the kind of movie that suddenly becomes something more when you see the final 5 minutes. Wow, I was baffled when I saw that ending. I liked the music (especially at the end) as well.

8 out of 10

The Darkest Hour

I knew this one would be the weakest link, but I still enjoyed it because of the great special effects and ditto look. Decent and enjoyable enough but nothing more. Plus it's hard to get some kind of emotional connection if you're hearing such a crappy score. Luckily it sounded like an extra set of SFX in the film, making it not irritatingly bad (like on album)

6 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

This is a big step-up from its risible predecessor. I enjoyed it a lot, even if a lot of it is exceptionally silly (there's almost a Roger Moore / James Bond vibe to it); I'd probably have enjoyed it a lot more if I hadn't watched the impeccable Bourne Ultimatum, the gold standard of modern Hollywood action thrillers, just beforehand.

The Girl Who blah blah trilogy

Now this was wonderful. I've had the Blu Ray set for a year but have never quite got round to watching them all until now. Taut and gripping throughout. First-rate acting.

How does it compare to Finch's view?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks everyone for the wishes! I am enjoying myself indeed! Greetings and happy holidays to everyone! beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.